Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lump Shaker posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good email hosting service for a small business? Think like a 5 person real estate office. I've heard good things about google apps/gmail but we all use Outlook pretty extensively so I'm not sure it would be the best idea. Considering Office 365 as well but not sure if we need all the extra features that are built in to it. Would something like GoDaddy work? We aren't looking for anything fancy, but with our current hosting, we get bouncebacks for some of our outgoing emails because they are marked as spam by the incoming server.

You can use google apps with outlook by installing a plugin. Calendars and contacts work.

Godaddy seems like a really bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Lump Shaker posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good email hosting service for a small business? Think like a 5 person real estate office. I've heard good things about google apps/gmail but we all use Outlook pretty extensively so I'm not sure it would be the best idea. Considering Office 365 as well but not sure if we need all the extra features that are built in to it. Would something like GoDaddy work? We aren't looking for anything fancy, but with our current hosting, we get bouncebacks for some of our outgoing emails because they are marked as spam by the incoming server.

If you use and want to keep using Outlook I'd recommend not going with Google Apps. They have a tool that can help it integrate with Outlook but it's kind of a hack.

Isn't Office 365 similarly priced? I seem to remember it being in the ballpark of $5/user/month but it's been a while. I'm thinking of the version that's just Hosted Exchange, no included office suite or anything like that (if it even exists anymore).

I would avoid all things GoDaddy, personally.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Google apps will run you $25/month for a 5 person team, and if lack of privacy isn't a concern it is a great option. They have syncing tools for MS outlook that work well, at least in my experience, and the addition of google drive + docs makes it easy to collaborate on some things.

GoDaddy is terrible.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Thanks guys. Yeah, I was aware of the Google Apps Outlook integration but from browsing online it seemed like it was a little buggy. The base Office 365 is 5/month per user so that might be a good option. We already have desktop versions of the office aps that we could use.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

If you're using apache there might be an error in httpd.conf, copy and paste it somewhere like pastie.org and we can look it over.
It's a Windows server with Plesk installed. Also this would have to be a very localized error since every other domain and subdomain works.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Lump Shaker posted:

If you just want email and aren't interested in the other collaborative tools you'd get with Google and/or Office365, you can use Windows Live Domains to set up upto 500 free @yourdomain.com email accounts, and access them either through Outlook.com or an Outlook client via Exchange Activesync.

blunt fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 19, 2013

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
Major WHMCS exploit released, please please please disable your WHMCS install immediately.
http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?80206-Security-Status-Update
http://localhost.re/

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Patched:
http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=80223

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Again? It seems like WHMCS is nothing but exploits.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Anaxite posted:

Again? It seems like WHMCS is nothing but exploits.

Ugh, it's horribly coded. I looked into some other options, but have not settled on anything yet. Chances are that I'll write my own, less bloated and specific to what is needed by Lithium.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DarkLotus posted:

Ugh, it's horribly coded. I looked into some other options, but have not settled on anything yet. Chances are that I'll write my own, less bloated and specific to what is needed by Lithium.

until then, mod_security2 and OWASP rules or naxsi

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

DarkLotus posted:

I can't believe they rolled their own register_globals :psyduck:

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

DarkJC posted:

I can't believe they rolled their own register_globals :psyduck:

This is amazingly common among PHP "developers" upgrading old code.

The PHP community as a whole has only started adopting modern development practices (like, oh, I dunno, unit testing) in the past few years. I can count the number of commercial PHP applications that are well-written on one hand.

Almost every PHP ecommerce solution is a steaming pile of poo poo when it comes to architecture and maintenance needs. One that actually operates under root should be every sysadmin's nightmare.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I had just a couple of follow up questions re email hosting.

Do you guys think that using Office 365 as our email hosting would cut down on the number of our outgoing emails that are marked as spam by recipient servers? Right now I think this happens because the email hosting we use is also used by a lot of spammers.

Also, what is the reason people don't like GoDaddy for email hosting? Not that I disagree with you at all, I just need something to tell my boss for why we shouldn't use it and I don't have any experience with it myself.

Thanks for your help!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Lump Shaker posted:

Also, what is the reason people don't like GoDaddy for email hosting? Not that I disagree with you at all, I just need something to tell my boss for why we shouldn't use it and I don't have any experience with it myself.

Practical, easily documentable reason: Uneven application of their ToS means your outgoing mail may be RBLed because they didn't deal with another customer's spamming. This has improved markedly but is still sometimes an issue. On the flip side, they're extremely aggressive in blackholing incoming mail. Will your mail go out? Will your mail come in? Spin the wheel!

Nebulous, experiential reason: Oversubscribed hardware and inept administrators.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Aside from godaddy being a terrible company with horrendous policies and a never ending barrage of up sells designed specifically for ignorant users?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Godaddy limits your outbound email by a ton. Base, you can send 300 messages a day.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
So it looks like Network Solutions is in the middle of a complete meltdown...website is completely down and most services are effected (Mail hosting, DNS, etc). Their phones are not even working right now.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

McDeth posted:

So it looks like Network Solutions is in the middle of a complete meltdown...website is completely down and most services are effected (Mail hosting, DNS, etc). Their phones are not even working right now.
Yep, that's the second time this year having DNS on there has screwed us, time to move.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

McDeth posted:

Probably another DDos attack. They get a few every year and it's absolutely ridiculous. As a bonus, I get to explain to various managers over and over that we really can't do anything about this. The best thing we can do is start a move as soon as they come back up.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

Probably another DDos attack. They get a few every year and it's absolutely ridiculous. As a bonus, I get to explain to various managers over and over that we really can't do anything about this. The best thing we can do is start a move as soon as they come back up.

Any non-GoDaddy DNS hosting alternatives that you'd suggest?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

McDeth posted:

Nope. I'm just starting to shop around myself. :shrug:

We've used Network Solutions since before I was here, so I haven't ever really shopped for a host before.

Luckily for me, we only need DNS service, so there's less I'll need to worry about beyond reliability.

Edit: Looks like Network Solutions is back up, for me at least. Still need to switch though. I'm tired of doing this over and over.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 22, 2013

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gandi provides DNS for their domain customers :toot:

Outside of that, I think DNS hosts are a crap shoot. I used to use everydns and then they got bought by DynDNS and basically shut down.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Most domain registrars and webhosts that sell domains will allow you to manage your DNS. Some charge extra for this though.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I just want something with five 9's (or 100!) of uptime on DNS, which until this year NetSol seemed to give us. Going to try to find someone who seems reliable, but not so big they make a juicy ddos target...I'm kinda surprised Google hasn't started offering DNS hosting, seems like something they'd do, but maybe they get enough data from their public DNS servers as it is.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

McDeth posted:

Amazon Route 53. Been using it since launch with zero outages. Really cheap too, 50 cents per zone + 50 cents per million queries, prices go down as usage goes up as well.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
The big problem with Route 53 is that there are no zone transfers. The closest you'll get is the new ability to c&p a zone file.

We've been using Dyn for our DNS for a while now. Yes, Dyn as in the company that grew out of DynDNS.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

mewse posted:

Gandi provides DNS for their domain customers :toot:

Outside of that, I think DNS hosts are a crap shoot. I used to use everydns and then they got bought by DynDNS and basically shut down.

I've always been really satisfied with dns.he.net :shobon:

Chosen
Jul 11, 2002
Vibrates when provoked.

RiSK posted:

Just got this from HostHop. Weren't they Goon ran or at least didn't they post on the forums or something?

Uh. How lovely is this? "THOSE IP'S ARE GOING OFFLINE AND THERE AIN'T NO WAY WE'LL TELL YOU WHY!"

I just got this email too. And, just to give some more background on how unprofessional they are (were?), at one point they had a catastrophic billing system failure, and double billed me at the wrong rate. When I refuted it, they refunded both charges, and then asked me how much I thought I owed them, because they had no record.

Email from HostHop posted:

We are not sure to be honest we are having troubles with the billing system lately. We will check into the issue.

What do you think you owe? Your help would be appreciated.

I never responded, and just sought hosting elsewhere, winding up at linode. Hosthop never caught on, and I had free service until this mysterious outage.

I notice that they just let their DNS expire, too. I guess that's that.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

eightysixed posted:

I use them for secondary DNS for my personal domains and I've been satisfied with them. They don't support DNSSEC which sucks but they have it on their list of upcoming features. If anyone's looking for a secondary dns provider, BuddyDNS is pretty good as well.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

McGlockenshire posted:

The big problem with Route 53 is that there are no zone transfers. The closest you'll get is the new ability to c&p a zone file.

We've been using Dyn for our DNS for a while now. Yes, Dyn as in the company that grew out of DynDNS.

Yeah, it's not right for everyone but it's a great service provided you can do what you need to do with it. I don't have a need to do zone transfers, Route 53 is my primary, so it works great for that. Love the health checks too! Great for a simple failover - I use it to fail betaforce.com over to an AWS instance to display status info if there are any problems at our facility for example.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

eightysixed posted:

I like em, but lack of wildcard records, lack of DNSSEC and other stuff :(

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Another morning and another WHMCS exploit.

This is really starting to get ridiculous.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Maniaman posted:

Another morning and another WHMCS exploit.

This is really starting to get ridiculous.

I'm working on migrating to Blesta, it's not as feature rich and I'm going to lose alot of functionality but at least I'll be able to sleep at night.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Rackspace offers free DNS with a cloud account, which costs $0 if you don't have any other services.

The closest thing to an outage that I am aware of is that there was a long delay in zone updates for a few hours one day. No actual outages.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

I'm working on migrating to Blesta, it's not as feature rich and I'm going to lose alot of functionality but at least I'll be able to sleep at night.

I'd be interested in knowing how that goes. I'm getting tired of having to update my system every couple days, and from what I've seen of the leaked code it's going to take a complete rewrite to get rid of these security holes.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Maniaman posted:

I'd be interested in knowing how that goes. I'm getting tired of having to update my system every couple days, and from what I've seen of the leaked code it's going to take a complete rewrite to get rid of these security holes.

Ohh god, the code is horrible. I've seen better code in the PHP thread when PHP noobs are quoting examples found on w3schools website.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Cool yet another Digital Ocean outage. Seriously tempted to switch back to Linode.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
edit: Nevermind, I was wrong.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

RiSK posted:

Just got this from HostHop. Weren't they Goon ran or at least didn't they post on the forums or something?

Uh. How lovely is this? "THOSE IP'S ARE GOING OFFLINE AND THERE AIN'T NO WAY WE'LL TELL YOU WHY!"

I'm pretty sure that the guy (kid?) who started it up left someone else with the bills and the accounting system (auto bill processing) crashed a few months ago. Support tickets generally haven't been answered in the past year or so either.

It's a shame, since if they sold it, they'd at least made a few bucks off the biz.