Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Elysiume posted:

I don't understand this question. What?

Trick-or-Treat posted:

The user takes the target trick-or-treating. This adds Ghost type to the target's type

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Both are replaced.

So a ghost-type Soak/Forest's Curse? Gotcha! (As cute as it sounds, I don't see a good use for it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Does Tyrantrum have a hidden ability?

Supposedly he has Rock Head. Unfortunately, there is no way to get a Hidden Ability Tyrantrum right now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

nerdbot posted:

Where the gently caress is Mr. Bonding, I got 15 O-Powers and I have max style (Mega Stones were at 10k) so what gives??? He's not in Cafe Introversion.

I believe this means you missed an encounter with him.

Edit: Wait nevermind. I have no idea.

Edit Edit: I count 16 non-Hatching Power O-Powers.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Elysiume posted:

I don't understand this question. What?

There's a few moves like soak or trick or treat that change a Pokemon's type.

Okkusenman
Oct 31, 2010

this is me irl lmao and im gay. a gay man
From the Friend Safari, Shiny Talonflame looks pretty sick.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trick or treat doesn't change the pokemon's type, it ADDS ghost type to it. It will be whatever it was before, but with ghost type added on. The main use I can see for it is loving with tanky pokemon by slapping a weakness onto them.

VVVV Wait til it evolves, it looks so good.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 21, 2013

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Looking for anecdotes, has anyone else found their first ever shiny in the Friend Safari? It seems like there is a much higher shiny encounter rate there than anywhere else.

I've gotten both a shiny Barbaracle and a shiny Pumpkaboo from the Friend Safari, so I think it's possible.

Shiny Pumpkaboo looks so cute too, I can't get over it :kimchi:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dohaeris posted:

So I just beat the Elite 4 and want to get into this "making a kickass team to fight other people with" thing for the first time. I know about IVs and EVs and such, but what makes up a good team? Type coverage? Is there some sort of tank/healer/DPS mechanic thing I want to look at? For the main game I just had a type coverage team and it worked out great, but it seems there's more to it. So what kind of team do I want to look at going to try and build?

Basically, you want a collection of Pokemon that has good team synergy. Type coverage is one aspect of it, but you may want Pokemon that can cover another one's weaknesses or something like that, like if one of your Pokemon is crippled by entry hazards, you may want someone who can deal with those. I find that finding a good team composition works best by experimenting.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Countblanc posted:

There's a handful of moves that "add" a type to the target. But I think it actually just replaces the type, it doesn't add a 2nd/3rd type.

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Both are replaced.

VVV Sounds like what I was hoping for, 3-type pokemon, 2-type moves; the most chaotic

Internet Kraken posted:

Trick or treat doesn't change the pokemon's type, it ADDS ghost type to it. It will be whatever it was before, but with ghost type added on. The main use I can see for it is loving with tanky pokemon by slapping a weakness onto them.

But you'd also be giving them an immunity, right? (I mean, Ghost/Normal would be a... treat :rimshot:)

e:

Constable Lemon posted:

I've gotten both a shiny Barbaracle and a shiny Pumpkaboo from the Friend Safari, so I think it's possible.

I've been breeding one of those, and want is so bad. [purple/indigo is the best color]

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Internet Kraken posted:

VVVV Wait til it evolves, it looks so good.
The wiki says it replaces the secondary.

quote:

Trick-or-Treat adds a secondary Ghost typing to the target (or changes the target's already-existing secondary type to Ghost).

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

^^^
oh! okay.

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Both are replaced.

I'm not sure this is the case; I'm pretty sure my Shadow Sneak was totally ineffective after I used Trick-or-Treat on a Normal-type. My guess is it does exactly what it says and just adds it, like a temporary second (or even third!) type.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Just to reiterate, requests for others to add your FC/other FC-related posts should go in the PGS thread (link is in the OP), please.

Tried out teaching Quacklin' Air Cutter and using him in wild pokemon battles on Route 7. Successfully got a Kasib berry (which I already had found in Kalos) and two Payapa Berries and a Babiri Berry (which I hadn't). Also I now have Pomeg, Hondew, Qualot and Grepa Berries via cross-pollinating.

horriblePencilist, are you happy with the Super Training FAQ of yours on page 228? Is it ready to be put in the OP?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's okay, Diggersby, I know you're beautiful on the inside :3:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

The other day in a wifi battle some nice German girl switched her Mega Charizard X into my Trick-or-Treat and my Pumpkaboo K.O.'d it with the newly-super-effective Shadow Sneak on the next turn :twisted:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Internet Kraken posted:

It has the best description of any move:

Pokemon X/Y posted:

The user takes the target trick-or-treating. This adds Ghost type to the target's type.

The mental image this conjures is wonderful.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I believe this means you missed an encounter with him.

Edit: Wait nevermind. I have no idea.

Edit Edit: I count 16 non-Hatching Power O-Powers.

Yeah, I'm an idiot and forgot Sp. Atk. Thanks.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tardigrade posted:

Well you see, sometimes poison or razor blades manage to find their way into the candy.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I just caught a shiny Braixen! Turns out the Friend Safari does have a very high shiny chance! It looks so pretty. :allears:

But still no shiny Charmeleon :(

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You actually meet your rival's dad in Snowbelle city. It's just some flavor text, but a veteran trainer will say his kid left Vaniville Town on an adventure, and it changes between He and She depending on which character you picked.

As far as X/Y differences go, nothing outside of swapping "Cocoon" for "Tree" and Yvetial for Xerneas.

technolizard
May 19, 2013

Zuzie posted:

I am having the worst luck when it comes to getting anything with synchronize. Is there anything that has that ability that isn't so rare?

I've been using Munna from the friend safari.

I've also been working through a Munna breeding program and now have Synchronize Munnas of every nature. If anyone's looking for a specific one, hit me up after I get my info in the spreadsheet (which I will be doing right after this post).

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Does Synchronize's field effect work if the Synchronize pokemon is in the first slot but dead?

Yes, I can confirm this. Three out of four Pokemon caught were the right nature, and my Munna was quite dead.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kheldragar posted:

To me, a shiny Gyarados is a red Gyarados, and I get that for free in Crystal. :colbert:

:thejoke:

SoulSilver/HeartGold are remakes of Gold/Silver/Crystal so the shiny Gyarados I'm talking about is the Red Gyarados from the story line

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I just realized you can't get Skrelp natively in X. Too bad, I like the look of Dragalge. Will have to go trading...

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
My safari is Sneasel, Dewgong, and Spheal. Not that useful I know but if anybody wants to add me i'd love to visit your safari. My FC is 3067 - 4597 - 8138.

Don't PM me I don't have that power.

EDIT: I'd really like a friend who has Bulbasaur or Squirtle in their Safari, you'd only have to add me until I get their hidden abilities version if you don't want me to be your friend forever.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 21, 2013

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I'm trying to pick a set for my Sylveon and male Meowstic and I thought I might see if you guys have any ideas.

Meowstic
Prankster
252 Def / 252 Sp. Def / 4 HP
Item: Light Clay
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder wave
- ???

Sylveon
Pixilate
Item: ???
252 Sp. attack / 252 Spd / 4 HP
- Return / Echoed voice?
- Shadow ball
- Swagger?
- Psyshock/psybeam?

I've never really done competitive Pokemon before so this is fun for me, I'm planning on running an all-Kalos team. My other members I've already got figured out will be Aegislash and Protean Greninja.

9goats dead
Mar 25, 2010

BEAUTIFUL! GORGEOUS! EXCITING!
Does anybody have a Swirlix moveset available? I'm thinking it's about time to evolve it, but I don't wanna do it too soon and miss out on anything good.

Also, how can I get more moonstones? :( I want a Delcatty. I already used the one in Reflecting Cave.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I hope people don't mind being Wonder Traded modest Dedennes. It's super cute in Pokemon Amie.

I traded my Dedennes away and received a Minun, a Pachirisu and an Adamant Huge Power female Azuril, along with an Adamant Riolu a Luvdisc and a few other things.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
So I picked up the game and drat is it EVER good. It's like they psychically tapped into many of my complaints and fixed them. The combat doesn't waste your time, the new 3D engine is fantastic, customizing your appearance is great, and Super Training beats the hell out of the crap I had to go through for EVs back when I bothered with it in Gen 3. It's everything I want from a new pokemon game, and even a few things I didn't know I wanted like a ninja frog.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 21, 2013

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Does Gengar end up being more attack or special attack driven?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tardigrade posted:

It has the best description of any move:

I like to imagine a sheet on the opposing Pokemon. Now it's a ghost! Let's got trick-or-treating!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zhent posted:

Does Gengar end up being more attack or special attack driven?

Very much special attack, if I remember right they're the most powerful special attacker of its type.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Friggin Hariyamas and Staravias using Whirlwind before I can catch them :argh:

I haven't been able to find Shellders by fishing where the Pokedex says I can find them. Do I need something better than the Old Rod?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nessa posted:

I like to imagine a sheet on the opposing Pokemon. Now it's a ghost! Let's got trick-or-treating!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

So am I right in understanding that the blank, white punching bag can be used to COMPLETELY reset your pokemon's EV training so you can operate on a clean slate without starting over completely?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Can someone tell me what my friend safari has? Friendcode: 20623-0459-9265

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

i am tim! posted:

So am I right in understanding that the blank, white punching bag can be used to COMPLETELY reset your pokemon's EV training so you can operate on a clean slate without starting over completely?

Yep

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Holy loving god yes, yes, a thousand times YES.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Constable Lemon posted:

I got a shiny Aipom while hunting dittos in a goon's safari! Too bad it's modest.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Are there any good late game fire move TMs? My Talonflame still has Flame Charge and hasn't been learning anything and I'd like him to have a better fire move for the Elite Four.

Not nearly as serious but it seems like Tyrantrum could possibly have a better dragon move than Dragon Claw at this point, but I haven't found any/he hasn't learned any.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Mazerunner posted:

I got a shiny Aipom while hunting dittos in a goon's safari! Too bad it's modest.

Average Bear posted:

Also the people who say "Oh I found a shiny everything but their nature was sub par and their IVs? Heh. Not even 31 in all. Released. :spergin:" piss me off to no end do you even know how lucky you are

Now, for another post:

BattleMaster posted:

It's okay, Diggersby, I know you're beautiful on the inside :3:

Yeah, Diggersby is easily up there with Snorlax for being the chillest bros you can catch and train.

Oh Peppy, I know that you have a terrible nature and don't have your hidden ability, but I'm taking you all the way to the Elite 4—and not as a HM slave. :3:

Also, drat, girls get so much cooler clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Has anyone found where you get the essences? I just want a muchlax :ohdear:

• Locked thread