Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

nutranurse posted:

Also, drat, girls get so much cooler clothing.

It's true.

Oraculum Animi posted:

having a Nidoking break three digit base attack is kinda nice.

Too bad a special attacking set and Sheer Force is still better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone know where I can get light clay in this game? Haven't found it anywhere. I know in the last gen wild golet could hold hit but I don't want to catch a ton of them only to find out they don't have it in this game.

I actually found some light clay using thief on a golett so just get a pokemon with frisk and toil away :v:

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

WrightOfWay posted:

For Meowstic you want an attack in the last slot. Probably Psychic but if it learns U-Turn, Volt Switch, Selfdestruct, Explosion or Memento go with that but I don't think it does.

For Sylveon if you want to be offensive go with something like:

Sylveon @Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Special Attack, 4 Defense
Modest Nature
-Calm Mind
-Moonblast
-Shadow Ball
-Wish/Hidden Power Ground

But a team with dual screens tends to like a cleric a lot more than bulky offensive pivots so this is a good option:

Sylveon @Leftovers
Cute Charm
252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Special Defense
Bold Nature
-Wish
-Protect/Heal Bell
-Moonblast
-Heal Bell/Toxic/Shadow Ball

I'm liking the offensive Sylveon set. Thanks!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ruggington posted:

Adding you now

Your last one's Lapras. Neat!
Awesome thanks.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

GeckoMissingno, your third pokemon is Xatu

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So I finally got the second half of Paris opened after 70 hours of gameplay, WHERE THE HELLS THE BARBERSHOP.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kurieg posted:

The short of effort values is this: getting experience points from a pokemon also gives Effort Values, super training also gives effort values, for every 4 EVs in a stat a pokemon has, they'll have 1 extra point of that stat at 100. And there's an upper limit of 510 EVs total.
The long of it is here

Initial Values are values between 0 and 31 that a pokemon has that get added to the pokemon's base stats to determine their (pre-EV) stat total, the Characteristic which is displayed on the second page of the pokemon's stat screen gives you some insight into what their highest IV is, the guy in the Kiloude city pokemon center gives some more info through his statements on the pokemon's potential one way or the other, and you can use tools like this to figure out the stats of any pokemon pre generation VI.
Some or all of these IVs get passed down through breeding.

Got it.

Now, as far as getting your a Pokemon to be ideal, how do people calculate that? As in, person A will want a Gengar with high special attack and speed or something whereas person B wouldn't. Is this more of a "whatever suits you" type deal?

And as far as move sets go, how does that play a part? If I'm training a Pokemon to have high Attack EVs, is want more strong attacks where a speed based one is more quick ones? Or is it just a matter of logic (e.g. Thunderbolt over Thunder)

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

After dabbling a while with Pokémon eugenics, I'm ready to Wonder Trade a whole box of Torchics of varying natures. Gotta share the blessings.
Each of them carries a Moomoo milk and a custom dumb nickname, because some kids get extra pissed off about getting nicknamed pokeymans. :getin:

Melinoe
Jul 27, 2012

Why isn't it Froderick?

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I have been smashing rocks in Cyllage for nearly an hour, and I have not found a single Binacle. Am I doing something wrong?

I finally got mine in the rock on Route 12 that's just outside of the entrance to Coumarine. Smashed rocks in Cyllage for like half an hour, nothing. Smashed that rock three or four times, Binacle. It was probably just dumb luck but it's worth a try?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

kater posted:

So I finally got the second half of Paris opened after 70 hours of gameplay, WHERE THE HELLS THE BARBERSHOP.

It's on the first street you get access to.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

The destiny knot change is pretty amazing for speeding up IV inheritance. Got me a Clauncher with 31s in everything but attack.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

My Safari has Frogadier, Wartortle and Bibarel, apparently. This sounds like a pretty good safari. :toot:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
"Grune is in a bit of a pinch. It looks like it might cry..."

Oh poo poo, sorry little lady, one super potion coming right up :ohdear:

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 21, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It turns out that being asleep when you mega evolve makes it pretty anticlimactic. Sorry about the cruddy video quality, my phone isn't so great at this apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OtHP42ttyw

(He even does the dramatic pose with his eyes closed :kimchi:)

damug
Jun 21, 2004

Pentaro posted:

After dabbling a while with Pokémon eugenics, I'm ready to Wonder Trade a whole box of Torchics of varying natures. Gotta share the blessings.
Each of them carries a Moomoo milk and a custom dumb nickname, because some kids get extra pissed off about getting nicknamed pokeymans. :getin:
On the other end of the spectrum, I get sad when deadbeat trainers don't name their pokemons. It just shows a lack of care and regard for the cute little small animals who want nothing more in life than to beat up other small animals so you can steal some pre-schoolers lunch money.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just name anything I can't think of something clever for Squirtle.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Tsurupettan posted:

My Safari has Frogadier, Wartortle and Bibarel, apparently. This sounds like a pretty good safari. :toot:

:aaa:

What's your FC. Mine's 4828-4215-3248. I've only got Onyx and Boldore and one other mystery pokemon in my Rock garden.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kater posted:

Take a cab. It's on South Boulevard, actually. :v:

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

What will the autistic youtube shiny collectors do now that shinies are so much easier to get? Will they continue to reset 25000 times on 3 3DSes to get a shiny? Will they continue to cancel dinner with family because they need to tell the internet about a shiny pokemon?
Will we be treated to any more videos of someone yelling "YES" to Sum 41?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I named my Hawlucha Randy Savage and every I send him out I feel obligated to do a Macho Man impression. I feel like a child again. Also my throat is getting kind of sore.

PS. When do I find Garbodor? I'm really looking forward to seeing what he looks like in 3D.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 21, 2013

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Still trying to figure out how to get elemental gems. Hawlucha desperately needs one and I'm putting off raising a Delphox until she can sufficiently use her wizard business.

BattleMaster posted:

It turns out that being asleep when you mega evolve makes it pretty anticlimactic. Sorry about the cruddy video quality, my phone isn't so great at this apparently.
(He even does the dramatic pose with his eyes closed :kimchi:)

Not when I mega evolve Mewtwo! :getin:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I've decided to use an all-Eeveelution team for my first E4 run. What's the best place to grind XP? I've been running the Battle Chateau.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Uggh why do you have to bring your HM user through Victory Road. That's so stupid.

The whole HM system is stupid. Why haven't they come up with a better way to do this after all this time?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

nutranurse posted:

:aaa:

What's your FC. Mine's 4828-4215-3248. I've only got Onyx and Boldore and one other mystery pokemon in my Rock garden.

3411 - 0525 - 8011

Sure I'll take those. :)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

For Meowstic you want an attack in the last slot. Probably Psychic but if it learns U-Turn, Volt Switch, Selfdestruct, Explosion or Memento go with that but I don't think it does.

For Sylveon if you want to be offensive go with something like:

Sylveon @Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Special Attack, 4 Defense
Modest Nature
-Calm Mind
-Moonblast
-Shadow Ball
-Wish/Hidden Power Ground

I know nothing about competitive pokemanings,I was previously thinking of a choice-scarf for moonblast modest or timid sylveon with SpAtk and Speed EVs to compensate for it's mediocre speed, or is it just not worth it to go that route?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Where in the hell is Shabbaneau Castle? It's apparently where you get the Mawile mega stone, but I don't recall ever reaching a place with that name.

Yes, I have the ring upgrade and all that stuff.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

jymbojones posted:

I literally squeed when it happend. The Garchomp line has been my favorite since Gen IV. I snagged a few and pressed on with the story, but I've since bred up a Jolly and Adamant lil' fella and EV trained them both to be ULTIMATE MURDER MACHINES.

I'm so happy with this decision.

I did the exact same thing when I wonder traded an Amaura and got a timid compound eye Joltik. Outside of Arcanine, Galvantula has been my favorite. Also I'm hearing things about Sticky Web? Why couldn't they add more things like this? SR blows and they didn't seem to do much about it outside of Defog (which is a welcome change, but they could've added at least another new hazard cleaner). I'm also a bit disappointed on the seemingly lack of more dual type or crazy mechanic moves like Flying Press and Freeze Dry. Which probably means the inevitable Z is going to have everything we didn't get- Like Pangoro with the elemental punches through move tutor, Tyrantum with elemental bites, Aurorus with normal special attacks, etc.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
After seeing Scolipede's buffs (90 -> 100 base Attack, Quick Feet becoming Speed Boost) I decided I wanted to give one a whirl[ipede]. I'm going to pair him with a Mega Absol, as the types match up pretty solidly and Mega Absol is a great Baton Pass target due to her mixed attacking stats and Magic Bounce making her hard to phaze.

The current sets I'm considering are:

Scolipede @ Mental Herb/Focus Sash
Speed Boost
[some EV spread]
- Baton Pass
- Substitute/Swords Dance
- Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Megahorn
- Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Megahorn

Absol @ Absolite
[some ability]
[some mixed attacking EV spread]
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast
- Psycho Cut
- Pursuit/Night Slash/Stone Edge/Ice Beam

Thoughts? Any tweaks to the sets, or ideas for other things to throw on the team?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

:getin:

Clockwise from top left, Emily, York, Carol, George, Thomas, and Zach. Mega Ampharos wound up way more beastmode than I ever expected him to be. Also, super fabulous~

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Rainuwastaken posted:

Where in the hell is Shabbaneau Castle? It's apparently where you get the Mawile mega stone, but I don't recall ever reaching a place with that name.

Pretty sure it's not-Versailles.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

noirstronaut posted:

Got it.

Now, as far as getting your a Pokemon to be ideal, how do people calculate that? As in, person A will want a Gengar with high special attack and speed or something whereas person B wouldn't. Is this more of a "whatever suits you" type deal?

And as far as move sets go, how does that play a part? If I'm training a Pokemon to have high Attack EVs, is want more strong attacks where a speed based one is more quick ones? Or is it just a matter of logic (e.g. Thunderbolt over Thunder)

That's more of a metagame question, and you'd need to ask someone else about that because my metagame for pokemon isn't that good.

For single player you're usually fine pumping whichever attack stat your pokemon favors (Special or physical) and speed and letting them go to town one-shotting fools.

To answer your second point, speed has nothing to do with the damage of your attacks, it just determines who goes first in your priority bracket of which there are fifteen, if you want your moves to hit hard you need special attack for Special moves, and Attack for Physical moves.

Rainuwastaken posted:

The castle where you chased that guy's dog around and got the poke flute.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just beat the Champion. I was down to just Proxy the Gogoat, and had decided that I wasn't gonna cheese it with Max Revives. After a few Bulk Ups and Horn Leeches, I had gotten down to just their Gardevoir. And what should it do other than Trace Proxy's Sap Sipper, denying me the use of Horn Leech? The first Moonblast Proxy absorbed knocked her down to 133 health, the second to 6. I figured it was over, but hit Earthquake anyway.

And what should my pal Gogoat do than hold on for me to get out one last Earthquake, taking down Gardevoir and beating the champion? :3: I love you, Gogoat.

e: i realize now that Mega-Evolution probably rewrote Trace with whatever Mega-Gard gets instead, but oh well. It was cool.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

thehoodie posted:

Pretty sure it's not-Versailles.

Not true. It's the castle in the city before not-Versailles.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Ethiser posted:

Not true. It's the castle in the city before not-Versailles.

:doh: I can't believe I forgot about that place so quickly. It's only been a couple of days....thanks. Now to wait until tomorrow, when I can find mega stones again.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
Serebii just informed me that Kecleon gets Protean as its Hidden Ability. That makes him decent right? Either way it has a pretty deep move pool that would totally work well with it. Steel, Ghost, Ground, and Dark physical attacks should work well no?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Tyrantrum/Tyrunt only learns elemental bites from breeding, right? So...is he just stuck with Crunch if you're not breeding it? :I

Shear Modulus posted:

Found a shiny. It was a Reggenrola in a horde encounter. And I didn't have any multitarget moves. So that was ten turns of hitting dudes, having them hang on with 1 health, then having to take another to finish them off. At least I didn't have to worry about accidentally killing it.

Luuucky. Shiny Gigalith is beautifully colored.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Found a shiny. It was a Reggenrola in a horde encounter. And I didn't have any multitarget moves. So that was ten turns of hitting dudes, having them hang on with 1 health, then having to take another to finish them off. At least I didn't have to worry about accidentally killing it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shear Modulus posted:

I had that happen minus the shiny plus all of them using Sand Attack on the first turn. gently caress those things.

At least it wasn't a horde of Wobbuffets though, which sounds like Nightmare Mode.

Melinoe
Jul 27, 2012

Why isn't it Froderick?
This may be a dumb question but how do I get the item in Laverre City on the other side of the water? It won't let me surf and I see no other way of getting around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Whereabouts do Haunters start showing? I wanna replace my Honedge with a Gengar.

Also, if I were to replace Pangoro, what should type should I take? Right now my team is Charizard, Raichu, Honedge, Wartortle and Sylveon. I guess Ground? I have a Cubone, but that seems boring.

• Locked thread