Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

ReindeerF posted:

ME MISSUS RECKONS

Ringo R posted:

ME MISSUS RECKONS.

ReindeerF posted:

ME MISSUS RECKONS

I think this phrase is going to have to come with a trigger warning in future. :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hahah.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

So thanks to some unexpected last minute requirements for paperwork (I think this is Malay for 'you aren't paying any bribes you tight English tit') I am going to have to do a visa run this week prior to getting a work permit. As it's quite last minute work is willing to cover me going pretty much anywhere within reason but I've only got 3 days. While the easiest option I have pretty much no desire to go to Singapore (literally the only reason would be getting some mainland style Chinese food) and Phnom Penh is feeling like my most likely option as somewhere I would like to visit and haven't been before. So...

Suggestions on what to do with 3 days in Phnom Penh? Also where to stay, should I pre-book, etc.? Or is 3 days nowhere near enough and I should just gently caress it and go get drunk in Bangkok?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

People in Japan still use fax machines.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

kru posted:

People in Japan still use fax machines.
A while back, my Polish business partners were in the US and when they got back I was chatting with one of them about the trip and he said, "You people still use checks. WTF?" I :lol:d

MrNemo posted:

Phnom Penh is feeling like my most likely option as somewhere I would like to visit and haven't been before. So...

Suggestions on what to do with 3 days in Phnom Penh? Also where to stay, should I pre-book, etc.? Or is 3 days nowhere near enough and I should just gently caress it and go get drunk in Bangkok?
What's your budget for Phnom Penh, what kinds of things do you want to do and what level of accommodation do you require?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Budget would probably be a couple hundred dollars? When I travel I'd say my priorities would be food and drink, I like eating in new places and trying new things. I am a terrible tourist, if there are some must see sights I'd like to go but I can't really manage more than 20 minutes poking around places taking pictures at a place. Local colour is always interesting provided I don't end up in a Russian roulette drinking contest. Accomodation wise I'd be happy enough with wifi and my own room.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ah, yeah, I'm roughly the same. Phnom Penh's perfect. Several of us are either there right now or just got back yesterday. I typically stay at Velkommen Guesthouse, since I know the owners and I like them and their staff a lot. They also run an even-cheaper Velkommen Backpackers venue right across the street with dorm beds and things.

Just show up in Phnom Penh, get your $7 tuk tuk ride from the airport, grab a room and start walking around eating and drinking. You can rent halfway decent mountain bikes from a place near FCC for $2-3 a day and tool around. The city is fantastic for foreign food and for drinking. The posh area is BKK, the riverside has a mix of touristy crap and excellent tourist/expat joints, street 51 has a few late night places with drunk food, street 172 has a mix of sometimes-good stuff, which is enough to get started.

Lone Star for ribs, Le resto du coin for French, Riverside Bistro for the amazing interior, late night dumplings at Zeppelin, the strip of Chinese places near Central Market, Khmer BBQ and what not, sandwiches at NY Deli or Fatboys, jalapeno poppers at Sharky's and a billion more things. These are, obviously, largely American tastes - there's great Middle Eastern, Turkish, Italian, Indian and so on, but I learned this weekend that there are several new offerings that locals like a lot that someone else may know more about.

Tytan should drop by with more nuanced local reckons here once he reckons them. These are just a few of the places I've collected over the years that I always tick the box on when I visit. Apparently a place called Alma's does Mexican now until 14:00, would've liked to have caught that. Next trip!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Sounds like fun, welp I'm now definitely going to be there Wednesday afternoon till Friday morning if anyone there wants to show me some places in exchange for beer.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
I'm at work during the daytime but if you fancy grabbing a beer or some food one night let me know. You have an email or something I can get you at?

Like ReindeerF reckons Phnom Penh is great for places to eat and drink, thanks to having a pretty mixed expat community living in a relatively small area (not only western, there's loads of decent Chinese/Japanese/Korean/etc food too). Sovanna restaurant is my go-to place for local food in the evening. During the day the restaurant-on-stilts type places across the river are worth a visit, over the Japanese bridge.

As for guesthouses, yeah Velkommen is decent and right by the riverside area. I'll also give my usual recommendation of Okay Guesthouse - backpacker type place, I think something like $8 or $10 for a private aircon room. It's a little further down the river but easily walkable still, and the owners are really nice.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You know one restaurant recommendation we didn't get around to this weekend that I wanted to ask about? In Siem Reap there's this Vietnamese place on or around pub street that does lemongrass pork chops that were absolutely fantastic. I've had them many times over the years - I'd almost say they're a hybrid of a five spice recipe + lemongrass. Anyway, you ever see anything like that in Phnom Penh? Not just the half-assed pork-grilled-with-lemongrass, but a really well-prepared bone-in dish with tons of flavor.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Can't think of anywhere specific to be honest, but I do know a couple of decent Vietnamese places so I'll keep an eye out. If that gives me an excuse to head to some nice restaurants, then so be it.

Actually another recommendation which I'll throw out, in case anyone is ever looking to splurge in Phnom Penh - you ever been to Malis? It's basically very upmarket Cambodian food (you've probably heard of Luu Meng, the chef that runs it. He cooked with Gordon Ramsay when he was over filming his Cambodia episode). Kinda expensive for PP, which is still only something like $15 for a main if I recall. Worth a trip if you want to try something a bit different.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Edit: See below

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 21, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ringo is trying to post this on the only known Windows Phone to have been purposefully bought and not rescued from a landfill next to the ET cartridges and Yugos:

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
To make it more confusing the word 잡 just means job. I don't know if 잡잡 has a different meaning other than 'jobjob' but I can ask when I'm in work tomorrow.

I don't know how that sign could even make sense in Korean either.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Brimmy posted:

To make it more confusing the word 잡 just means job. I don't know if 잡잡 has a different meaning other than 'jobjob' but I can ask when I'm in work tomorrow.

I don't know how that sign could even make sense in Korean either.

It's 짭 not 잡.

e: I asked a friend and she said "it's an onomatopoeic of making noise when eating"

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 21, 2013

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
I've been lurking in the backpacking thread for the last couple of weeks & I've decided to have a long vacation in SEA starting April next year. I have a tendency to get fat and get fat quickly. Are gym memberships reasonably priced over there? I'll probably end up doing jackshit but it's a just in case I have some spare time sort of thing.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Ended up getting a filling at Samui International Hospital, pretty painless and it looks good :) Hope it doesn't fall out anytime soon!

They even gave me two shots like I asked for (I ended up paying for the extra) which was nice because dentists back home never really believe me when I say one isn't enough for me.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Glad to see that Thai hipsters are a thing. I thought I was back in the bay Area while in siam square, at least until I saw 65 year old Joe public from Essex being dragged around Uniqlo by his 30 year old wife

By the way, had a Good time checking out or kor tor market. Food court was just so so, but the variety of produce on offer was astounding

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 21, 2013

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

xcdude24 posted:

Glad to see that Thai hipsters are a thing. I thought I was back in the bay Area while in siam square, at least until I saw 65 year old Joe public from Essex being dragged around Uniqlo by his 30 year old wife

My only problem with Vietnam in two years was that Uniqlo isn't there...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

xcdude24 posted:

Sounds like Central Bangkok! I'm not looking forward to moving back to town this month because of things like having to wait for five minutes to use a restroom's sink while 20 younger Thai men adjust their hair, look at it from five angles, adjust it again, repeat this process 50 times, start to walk away, stutter step back, adjust it again, look at it from- arghhhhh.

Also, how many times did Joe's missus say, "Dahlink!"?

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
So reindeer, can you explain the boat system at thaksin pier? It seems like the pier on the left side is for the tourist boat, and the one on the right is for all others. I ask the guy at the right pier if the boat docked(it had several different flags on it, so I wasn't sure which boat it was) was going to wang lang pier, and he told me to go to the pier on the left side. I'm pretty sure he was trying to get me to take the tourist boat, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, I sat on glass while at the pier, so I have to spend my afternoon cleaning up/fixing the hole in my pants/doing laundry

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I'll be in Bangkok on the 3rd and 4th of November. Beers, anyone? :siren:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 22, 2013

Beenine
Aug 9, 2013
I'll be there 13-29 Dec, can't wait its been a few years since i have been there.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Tytan posted:

I'm at work during the daytime but if you fancy grabbing a beer or some food one night let me know. You have an email or something I can get you at?

Thanks for the suggestions all. I've booked into the Velkommen guesthouse that looks like a nice place. Going to be there from this afternoon till Friday morning and would be happy to grab a beer out two with anyone about. Email is nowher3man at gmail.com

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
BANDWAGON.

I will be in Bangkok from late Saturday afternoon or maybe Sunday morning, until Monday afternoon. I will be drinking heavily. Goonmeet?

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

MrNemo posted:

Thanks for the suggestions all. I've booked into the Velkommen guesthouse that looks like a nice place. Going to be there from this afternoon till Friday morning and would be happy to grab a beer out two with anyone about. Email is nowher3man at gmail.com

Cool, just sent you an email, I should be around tonight if you want to go for a beer.

duckmaster posted:

BANDWAGON.

I will be in Bangkok from late Saturday afternoon or maybe Sunday morning, until Monday afternoon. I will be drinking heavily. Goonmeet?

Ha, I'm actually in Bangkok too this weekend. Got a couple of things planned already but I might be free on the Sunday (although I can't remember what time my flight is the next day). Whereabouts are you staying?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Nowhere booked as yet. Stayed at a nice place near Khao San Road in May, sort of down a small road, big white building, private rooms. Probably try there if I can find it again. If not, somewhere in the vicinity.

My mum is flying in on the Monday afternoon and although it's tempting to take her to the most ladyboy hooker ridden neighbourhood I can find that's probably going to be too much of a culture shock for her. Tempting though....

edit: email is calumfrew at gmail dot com

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Where in Bangkok can I buy cheap cheap cheap games consoles, specifically PS3s and/or XBox 360s? I will go round the usual places but any tips appreciated. I reckon there's some easy money to be made here!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I'm flying out of Phnom Penh this afternoon so I can't meet up with you, Nemo. But I reckon Tytan is a top bloke and he and his missus will sort you out. My liver has received severe punishment in Phnom Penh and I managed to catch a cold too :( Hopefully I'll recover to witness Tytan and duckmaster do 2 guys 2 cups in the 'kok.

Edit: I reckon Pantip Plaza for games.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 23, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ringo R posted:

and I managed to catch a cold too :(
HIV is not a cold, Ringo. I don't know how many times we have to tell you this.

Actually, I always get a cold in Cambodia. Got one this time too, but my body fought it off somehow. No one believed my, "It was a cheese burn!" story about the lip, either, which was actually TRUE. Sadly, all my witnesses are French.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Is the cheese as white as Gonorrhea :downsrim:

Please stay safe and healthy, my dear goons!

Orillion
Jun 14, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

HIV is not a cold, Ringo. I don't know how many times we have to tell you this.

Actually, I always get a cold in Cambodia. Got one this time too, but my body fought it off somehow. No one believed my, "It was a cheese burn!" story about the lip, either, which was actually TRUE. Sadly, all my witnesses are French.

What the hell is cheese burn? :confused:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Some place made a pizza with molten cheese on top, it rolled down onto my lip. Giant blister ensued. Imagine showing up on your wedding day from your bachelor party in Phnom Penh with a big blister on your lip. What do you suspect people think? Heh.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 23, 2013

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

ReindeerF posted:

Some place made a pizza with molten cheese on top, it rolled down onto my lip. Giant blister ensued. Imagine showing up on your wedding day from your bachelor party in Phnom Penh with a big blister on your lip. What do you suspect people think? Heh.

This. This is what people think.

Seriously though, congrats.

And for all goons who will be in Bangkok soon, there's a better than even chance I'll be there on November 2, probably milling around Khao San with a bucket in my hand.

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.
I've made it to Bangkok for my honeymoon with my wife. Got here late last night and slept for seventeen hours. That was fun!

We finally ventured out tonight and had some amazing seafood dishes at Rut & Lek Seafood off of Yaowaraj. Tomorrow we are going to the giant mall for some shopping and then more eating! Stopping at the random food stands on the road has worked out beautifully. I'm eating some roasted chestnuts from the stand outside our hotel and they are great.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"I licked her down there once before I realized that was stupid and we kissed for 1 minute"

loving reddit :lol:.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I asked a Thai lady one time if she's ever been to Cambodia and she just scrunched up her face and said "No. Enemy."

Has your wife been to Cambodia?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I prefer the term "special lady friend" thank you!

We went together a year ago. She's pretty educated and travels all over for work, so it wasn't as hard a sell, but she wasn't super-impressed or anything. She was impressed with the Western food, wine selection and price of imported goods. Most comments would be like one of us going to some underdeveloped Eastern Bloc country or something, I think, since she was less concerned with the historical animosity. Just lots of, "Wow, look how backward!"

Her brother, however, would never go and I think most Thai people fit this category. Humorously, Thais from near Cambodia often speak Suay, which is considered a Thai dialect, but which is pretty much Khmer. I doubt most Thai people know this or would admit it since pooping on Laos and Cambodia is a birthright. I occasionally meet a taxi driver or something who speaks Suay and I need to remember to compliment them on their Khmer, heh. VERY GOOS :thumbs up:

EDIT: Thai-Chinese wedding ceremony ends with like 20 Chinese family members (and cameramen) in your bedroom making your bed and then standing around gabbing - you know, after 12+ hours of exhausting ceremonial headaches on the day. I know they mean well, but I haven't been that close to murder in years. It's the Invasion Of The Privacy Snatchers.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 23, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

I prefer the term "special lady friend" thank you!

We went together a year ago. She's pretty educated and travels all over for work, so it wasn't as hard a sell, but she wasn't super-impressed or anything. She was impressed with the Western food, wine selection and price of imported goods. Most comments would be like one of us going to some underdeveloped Eastern Bloc country or something, I think, since she was less concerned with the historical animosity. Just lots of, "Wow, look how backward!"

Her brother, however, would never go and I think most Thai people fit this category. Humorously, Thais from near Cambodia often speak Suay, which is considered a Thai dialect, but which is pretty much Khmer. I doubt most Thai people know this or would admit it since pooping on Laos and Cambodia is a birthright. I occasionally meet a taxi driver or something who speaks Suay and I need to remember to compliment them on their Khmer, heh. VERY GOOS :thumbs up:

EDIT: Thai-Chinese wedding ceremony ends with like 20 Chinese family members (and cameramen) in your bedroom making your bed and then standing around gabbing - you know, after 12+ hours of exhausting ceremonial headaches on the day. I know they mean well, but I haven't been that close to murder in years. It's the Invasion Of The Privacy Snatchers.

Where can we buy the video? :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'll sell you mine, because that's one video I'll never want to watch.