Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ChibiSoma posted:

I can't get much higher as far as gear goes. Should I just stand in the Crimson and try and farm a Key so I can get the Vampire Knives or whatever they're called, or did that get nerfed at some point?

tl;dr: Hard mode is frustrating. :(

Just last night I literally stood still in the middle of Plantera and killed him using just the vampire knives, so those are absolutely an option.

The Destroyer is dirt easy to kill. Golden Shower ruins him, so there's no reason not to go ahead and kill him.

Both the Twins and Skeletron Prime die pretty quickly and easily to a Megashark with ichor bullets (or a megashark with better bullets and a golden shower, but that requires annoying weapon switches). Just build about a screen length of wooden platform and kite them back and forth along it. It helps if you have a few heart statues to heal you mid-fight but it shouldn't be strictly necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Tindahbawx posted:

Do items ever degrade? I picked up this Godly Staff of Summoning, and its proving to be ridiculously handy for keeping monsters at bay while I say, dig a hole to stop myself from drowning.

Is there more NPC's aside from the guide? How do I entice them to stay in my cellar?

Nah, the Guide is the only "guide" > Also, gently caress the Guide.

Some of these guides here actually pretty good at laying out the basics...
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Terraria_Wiki:Projects/Guides
Actually there's some decent nitty gritty stuff too. I love the game but it's vague as gently caress. If I had the game but had no internet (aaaaaarggghhh what a thought) I'd have played about 5% of it and gave up (and got a life)

Another tip is to read this thread from the beginning. This is probably only suitable for no friends shut in neckbeards like me though, ymmv.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I finally managed to farm a jungle key, and it's kind of hard not to be dissapointed. The piranha gun seems to be worse than any of the other biome chest items. It only attacks one target at a time, and it doesn't kill them very quickly. Is there some really cool aspect of it I'm missing ?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

I finally managed to farm a jungle key, and it's kind of hard not to be dissapointed. The piranha gun seems to be worse than any of the other biome chest items. It only attacks one target at a time, and it doesn't kill them very quickly. Is there some really cool aspect of it I'm missing ?

Keep holding mouse1 through the enemy's death. It jumps to another enemy without you having to aim.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Cicadalek posted:

It only attacks one target at a time

It only latches onto one target at a time, but can hurt multiple guys if they touch the piranha. It also jumps to the nearest enemy after killing that one, so you can fire it into a crowd and it'll kill everyone. And it doesn't use any ammo so it's good to use if you're low or run out. It's also amazing for killing casters that teleport when hurt because it'll just follow them to wherever they blink to, as well as any ranged enemy with high health (like Captains and Paladins) since it'll tick them for damage constantly, preventing them from shooting until they die.

A Tactical Shotgun with Chlorophyte Bullets will kill things way way faster, but the Piranha Gun is still fun to use and has good utility in a lot of situations. If nothing else it's just nice having a ranged weapon that doesn't use ammo.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

It chains between targets as long as you're holding down M1.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Got the coin gun a little bit ago, It's pretty fun for plinking with copper and silver coins since it's self sustaining but I wish there was a way to get it to only use one kind or at least to ignore anything higher. It'd be nice if you could stick coins in the ammo slots, and coins you picked up would top off those stacks but not auto convert them once they hit 100.

e: Also can it not get unreal? I've dumped 10 or so plats into this and haven't gotten anything near that
e2: I found this on the other wiki:

quote:

The Coin Gun cannot have any Modifier increasing the Damage stat or Critical Strike Chance stat.
But mine is Keen (+3% Critical Strike Chance) so :iiam:

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 20, 2013

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Zealous is the best the coin gun can have which is 5% crit

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does the coin gun do enough damage to be worth it using only gold coins? Well it'd never be worth it if you're using money as ammo, but you know what I mean.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
What the hell am I doing wrong with my teleporter? How does the switch need to be placed in relation to the wire and teleporter?

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
So does dirt wall become unbreakeable at a deep enough level or do I need a better hammer?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You need to break it from the edge inwards.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Cerony posted:

So does dirt wall become unbreakeable at a deep enough level or do I need a better hammer?

For some incredibly stupid reason, you can't break worldgen placed walls from the middle. You absolutely must start at the outer edge and work your way in. Also past a certain depth, the dirt wall goes away entirely and becomes parallax background instead.

High yield explosives also used to destroy natural back walls, but I'm not sure they do anymore.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The reason is probably because if you could just break them anywhere then there'd be no point to using torches during the day, since you can just make a hole in the world to let natural sunlight in.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Kjermzs posted:

What the hell am I doing wrong with my teleporter? How does the switch need to be placed in relation to the wire and teleporter?

If you look closely at the teleporter, there's a node on each side. Each can connect to a different destination teleporter (up to six total if you use all three colors of wire.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kjermzs posted:

Make sure that the wire run is not longer than 2000 units of wire. I had that issue.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Rather than making a single teleport hub that leads to 6 destinations, it's much simpler (and quicker, and cheaper) to just build a sequential series of teleporter towers or waystations. Even on large worlds, by the time you go 2000 wires out, you'll find some place you might want to stop. Then just put a switch on both sides and you have a linear transport that'll take you from one side of the map and back again, with all the important landmarks along the way.
It's also easier to remember what's where instead of "which switch is the jungle, again?" and if the surroundings aren't immediately apparent, you can just throw in a little decoration to designate each station. Easy as pie.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Welp, got stupidly reckless in Hell and melted in lava. Turns out you can't mirror out fast enough! RIP :supaburn:

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I have full Hallowed armour right now, and I have enough Chlor. to get that armour set. I also am 1 turtle shell away from being able to make the turtle set. Which one should I use? Also, frost armour?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

omeg posted:

Welp, got stupidly reckless in Hell and melted in lava. Turns out you can't mirror out fast enough! RIP :supaburn:
Spoiler: Switch windows, then force-quit it while the game is paused and unfocused. Instant-speed get-home mirror.

Edit This of course requires you to be running windowed.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Woo, finally beat the golem. Golden Shower, Spectre Armor, and Magnet Sphere made it a pretty easy fight, though I had to drink a health potion. First kill dropped a heat ray, then I ran him again until I was out of power cells. Wound up with the trophy, fist, sun stone, ruthless hatchet, and the pickaxe.

I'm also working on a massive obsidian pyramid in the underworld for a base, it's pretty cool if not particularly creative in terms of design. It also has the amusing/horrible side effect that an endless shower of bunnies and goldfish show up and die horribly.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Verviticus posted:

Mushroom biomes need to be a ways away or they will darken your little village and make it a pain in the rear end to do anything.

This game is way too dark sometimes and its frustrating.
Darkness is objectively the worst change from this update. This is how games should deal with day/night cycles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S34RrKQ_nug&t=158s

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You could have just said "Blue Filter".

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Make sure that the wire run is not longer than 2000 units of wire. I had that issue.

I thought it was 3000.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I can't seem to beat the Destroyer. I have the Golden Shower and Titanium armor, but he always seems to wreck me. Tips? I haven't beaten any other hardmode bosses yet, I just decided to try Destroyer since he's the easiest, apparently.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Frost Armor + Repeater + Jester Arrows is the easiest way to beat Destroyer in early hard-mode. That 1-damage tick affects every single link you hit.

You can then use the bars to make a Drax and mine Chlorophyte to fight the other bosses.

E: Also, making a full arena with every Heart Statue you currently have linked with a timer makes boss fights much easier early on. Each statue will drop one heart every ten seconds for 20 hp each.

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

Grab a spear for when you blow your mana pool and get a nimbus rod if you can. I beat it in palladium with that set up.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I can't seem to beat the Destroyer. I have the Golden Shower and Titanium armor, but he always seems to wreck me. Tips? I haven't beaten any other hardmode bosses yet, I just decided to try Destroyer since he's the easiest, apparently.

Buy some mushroom grass seeds from dryad and make a small surface shroom biome + house to attract Truffle. Buy mushroom spear from it and wreck Destroyer badly.

e: Frost armor mentioned above is also very good, and not hard to farm. Mushroom spear also helps with that. Just make a little wall to block the ice golems advance and shroom him through the wall.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 21, 2013

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Oh yeah, I have the mushroom spear too. I guess I just need to alternate that with Golden Shower? Maybe I've been unlucky so far.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I'd get frost armor then. I think that's the combo I used for it the first time and it was pretty trivial. I also have a little arena slightly above the ground to block lasers and get rid of possessed armors and whatever on the ground. Quoted below, just ignore the balls, those weren't there originally. Though even after jungle temple, I still seem to be using shroom spear in the picture. Love that loving thing.

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

Oh yeah, I have the mushroom spear too. I guess I just need to alternate that with Golden Shower? Maybe I've been unlucky so far.

Yeah, alternating between showers and spear will up your dps significantly. You could also get some wings because the wyvern is trivial with the same gear which will make the destroyer that much easier.

Rainbow_Horse fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 21, 2013

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Can you possibly work on your defense? With ~50 I can stand in place, lose almost no life the whole time, hit him with my golden shower and it takes him out in literally about 30 seconds.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pre-Hard Mode, I actually find Meteor Armor to be the best for boss farming. The handful of defense you lose can easily be made up for with trinkets, and if you've got a good spacegun, you can tear through any of the pre-hard bosses incredibly quickly.

Edit gently caress, that'll teach me to leave the response window open for hours/days on end.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I'm not sure how you can fail to shred the destroyer with piss. If you're wearing the magic set helmet you should stop that and wear melee, the set bonus for magic is garbage if you have a mana flower or mana cuffs.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Pretend the destroyer is a beautiful rainbow. Stand just inside that rainbow without touching it, next to the pot of gold, and spray it with piss to hit as many segments as possible. Don't worry about moving unless it's to get into firing position or to pick up hearts from probes if necessary.

What's your accessory and buff setup like?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My boss arena built specifically for the Destroyer is a set of three 100-block long wooden platforms, the lowest of which is about 30 blocks off the ground, and with five or six blocks of vertical spacing between the rows, whichever is the typical reach you can build overhead. I spend most of the fight on the top level, dropping to a lower level as the Destroyer arcs over me so I can continue pissing on him/pelting him with confetti bullets (Weapon choice and lack of materials kept me from upgrading my ammo at first).

I beat him with a Golden Shower, Clockwork Assault Rifle, and Mythril gear, but only after brewing up some Greater Health Potions and hunting Mimics for a Philosopher's Stone. Even then it was a narrow thing, I really don't see how one 20-HP heart every five seconds or so in any way counts as "sufficient healing" to offset 30 damage every time you get hit.

Although once I got Hallowed gear and Harpy Wings (lucky feather drop while farming Wyverns) I can farm the Destroyer more easily, and the arena also works for Skeletron Prime. Haven't tried the Twins yet. Friend of mine suggested Gravitation Potions for that fight, any opinions?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alright. That's two separate guide voodoo dolls thrown in lava, two separate guides dying, both times after a save and quit.

Why isn't the WoF spawning? I didn't expect the new stuff to break the old!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I got up and decided gently caress Terraria, I'm not getting beaten by these chumps anymore. I grabbed some dirt and finished my sky bridge. It's about 1,500 blocks long. Moved the crystal ball to the Crimson near where I summon the bosses. Leave one door open so I can warp home, run out, and get onto my bridge before the boss arrives.

Then I made four Mechanical Worms. I can't recall what I wanted to do with the Destroyer, but I killed him anyway. Took awhile, almost the whole night. Made a full set of Hallowed Armor just for shits and giggles, since jungle armor's better.

At some point, I went shark hunting so I could craft the Megashark. Then I reforged until I got Deadly. I made about a thousand crystal ammo and summoned the Twins. That was a thing. I ran the full length of my bridge about three times. Both were in their second form for awhile, too. But I beat 'em. Beat 'em and made a Magical Harp from their Souls.

The Megashark saw more action than my Crystal Storm did, so I figured I'd make a ton of ammo and use it for Skeletron Prime. Harp and Storm were way too slow to use. I didn't need nearly as much room to move to fight him. I was blind firing most of the fight, but I had three arms down by the end. Made a Flamethrower from his Souls. Also, fun facts I learned - you don't need to be on Crimson to use the Mechanical Skull and if you Mirror home he fucks off. Glad I made two of them!

But holy poo poo the Megashark is strong. Even though my jungle-ore armor was the magic set, I still wrecked. I need to make the ranged helm and get my Ranger Emblem out of storage. Twins were way harder than Prime, oddly enough.

So uh... Plantera's next, huh? Him and Golem are the only things I haven't killed him. Not sure what I should do. I don't want to lure him to the surface, so I'm thinking farming a Crimson Key to get Vampire Knives. That seems dull after what I just did. How long a grind am I lookin' at here? Am I gonna be killing Face Monsters for two hours before one drops?

tl;dr: Hard mode has gotten considerably less frustrating. I'll be ready for that lunar boss yet. :dance:

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

So what's the most effective weapon against Diabolists in the hardmode dungeon? I'm camping in the dungeon to get some item drops but every time
this god awful enemy appears I die in less than 10 seconds.

BattleRobit fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

BattleRobit posted:

So what's the most effective weapon against Diabolists in the hardmode dungeon? I'm camping in the dungeon to get some item drops but every time
this god awful enemy appears I die in less than 10 seconds.

My sollution for everything is a tactical shotgun.

• Locked thread