Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

CeramicPig posted:

The paperwork I was given seemed to have really dramatic (or dated) suggestions for after care (No driving for 24 hours after insertion, stay on bed rest) and I'm sure it's been answered a million times, but I'll ask anyways, when can the bf and I test this thing out? :pervert:

Like the other poster said, you should be good after 7 days so before that use some kind of backup birth control. But otherwise you can go back to sex whenever you feel up to it, which if it makes you feel better was the advice that I got from my doctor when I asked about that. I had mine inserted on a Tuesday and was back at it with no problem Thursday night. :q: Your experience may vary.

No driving and bed rest seems like a little much 24 hours later too, especially if you didn't faint or anything around the insertion. Not that you should go crazy, but I had no problem doing normal activities the next day while also taking it a bit easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Got the IUD! It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. In fact, I barely felt anything until a quick pinch when the thing opened inside. After that I had some cramping which I still have now. The only thing really bothering me now is the medication they gave me to take is just absolutely killing me. I can't function, period. But I still have to somehow drive my rear end to work and do my job. No idea how I'm going to make it over there, or even function once i get there. Uggghhhghgghhg

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Ceridwen posted:

Glad you moved on from that doc because not only is this line of reasoning paternalistic bullshit, it's also completely unnecessary paternalistic bullshit since you can still have children after having the Mirena. So in addition to being an rear end in a top hat, she was also uninformed about IUDs. Not someone you would have wanted doing an insertion.

She said it was because my body could reject the IUD and then scarring and sterilization could happen so she didn't want to take the option of childbirth away from me. I was a little excited to get a male doctor this time cause I was hoping he'd be less worried about destroying all chances for children. He seemed like he would have shoved that thing in me even if I was 17, but maybe now being 25 helped? Who knows, I just finally have it so I'm happy.

Kimmalah posted:

Like the other poster said, you should be good after 7 days so before that use some kind of backup birth control. But otherwise you can go back to sex whenever you feel up to it, which if it makes you feel better was the advice that I got from my doctor when I asked about that. I had mine inserted on a Tuesday and was back at it with no problem Thursday night. :q: Your experience may vary.

No driving and bed rest seems like a little much 24 hours later too, especially if you didn't faint or anything around the insertion. Not that you should go crazy, but I had no problem doing normal activities the next day while also taking it a bit easy.

I had mine inserted on the super last day of my period (nothing really coming out except for some nasty brown poo poo and maybe a little blood) so hopefully I'm still in the clear.

I laughed at the no driving thing too, but I did ask about that since driving is my job and the doctor said it'd be fine. I drove myself home and like someone else suggested on a previous page I treated myself to some ice cream and Tylenol. My cramps were like super strong holy poo poo cramps. I wasn't doubled over in pain but that sucked.

For any doctors visits that are gonna follow for the next five years, do I still write on the forms that I have had no surgeries? I wouldn't consider this a surgery by a long shot but just to be sure. Also, would I say I'm not on any medications or do I just write Mirena in that area?

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

CeramicPig posted:

For any doctors visits that are gonna follow for the next five years, do I still write on the forms that I have had no surgeries? I wouldn't consider this a surgery by a long shot but just to be sure. Also, would I say I'm not on any medications or do I just write Mirena in that area?
I list my Paraguard under medications on any form that asks for it. I'd definitely do it for Mirena too. I'd rather have doctors offices have too much info than not enough.

I've had my Paraguard since Feb 2012 and I have to say my last period was the first one that wasn't excruciating as far as cramps go. If it stays like this I will be so happy. Of course, I still fuckin leaked overnight which was really annoying (and admittedly my fault for buying cheap pads). I had very light periods my whole life so I think I'm still getting used to a heavier flow at night.

It's so great that IUDs are becoming so much more common. However, my friend posted the NPR story that was linked above on Facebook and the sheer amount of misinformation still out there about IUDs is astounding. I know this will continue to decrease but I just really wish people would do their own homework on top of talking to their doctors, since even this thread has shown how many doctors are still idiot assfaces when it comes to IUDs.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

CeramicPig posted:

She said it was because my body could reject the IUD and then scarring and sterilization could happen so she didn't want to take the option of childbirth away from me. I was a little excited to get a male doctor this time cause I was hoping he'd be less worried about destroying all chances for children. He seemed like he would have shoved that thing in me even if I was 17, but maybe now being 25 helped? Who knows, I just finally have it so I'm happy.

Yeah she's still seriously uninformed. The supposed risk of infertility with the IUD came from 2 sources: 1) the risk of developing PID from an untreated STD was thought to be higher with an IUD than without one. The actual risk of this with modern IUDs is either nonexistent or extremely low. And almost exclusively linked to infections existing at the time of insertion (which is why you are usually tested for them at or just before insertion) and 2) that you actually had underlying fertility issues (either preexisting or that developed due to increasing age) that you did not know about because you'd never tried to have kids and will then blame on the IUD if you try to have them later (in other words, not actually caused by the IUD at all).

In actuality, fertility is not affected by IUD use (even when the device was removed due to complications) and there are quite a few studies to back that up. I know most of us in the thread already know this, but I want to make sure this sort of misinformation by doctors doesn't get accidentally perpetuated.

quote:

It does not count as a surgery but does count as a medication. In some cases you might need to explain it to them, though from my experience the majority of providers now know what a Mirena is.

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.

CeramicPig posted:

Since Mirena has some hormones I'd consider it a medication, but definitely not a surgery. Does Mirena have any metal in it? I had to get a MRI last week and they seemed super concerned about my Paragard. Since I've had it for like 8 years I don't even think about it any more, and only realized "oh poo poo, I DO have metal in my body!" like an hour before the appointment. They ended up switching me to a machine with lower magnets or something. So if it does that is something to remember to tell them about too.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CeramicPig posted:

The new standard and suggestion for doctors is actually to suggest IUDs to any sexually active women who report either a monogamous relationship or proper condom use. The AMA put out a report about a year back because most accidental pregnancies are due to either inconsistent use of the pill or condoms and an IUD obviously removes all inconsistencies. Only bad/misinformed doctors will still veer away from IUDs.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Tigntink posted:

The new standard and suggestion for doctors is actually to suggest IUDs to any sexually active women who report either a monogamous relationship or proper condom use. The AMA put out a report about a year back because most accidental pregnancies are due to either inconsistent use of the pill or condoms and an IUD obviously removes all inconsistencies. Only bad/misinformed doctors will still veer away from IUDs.

I've been to 10+ OB/GYNs in the last year (oh God, 2013 has sucked so hard :( ), and they all had IUD posters, examples you could play with, etc., but I think quiet a few health plans here don't cover them (I'm in Ontario).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

CeramicPig posted:

I had mine inserted on the super last day of my period (nothing really coming out except for some nasty brown poo poo and maybe a little blood) so hopefully I'm still in the clear.

I laughed at the no driving thing too, but I did ask about that since driving is my job and the doctor said it'd be fine. I drove myself home and like someone else suggested on a previous page I treated myself to some ice cream and Tylenol. My cramps were like super strong holy poo poo cramps. I wasn't doubled over in pain but that sucked.

Yeah, I'm probably not much help there. I have a Paragard, which is effective as soon as it's in there so my experience was different. Although weirdly my doctor still told me to use condoms for 7 days to wait for the birth control effect to kick in. :iiam: But I did specifically ask about sex and their response was basically "whenever you feel up to it again." I spent the rest of the day in PJ pants under a heating pad, treated myself to Chinese food and herbal tea so all in all it was a good day.

I don't think it's considered a surgical procedure, but I'm sure they have a spot for medications or medical devices. The only doctors I've really been to since my insertion have been gynecologists so they figure out I have it pretty quick!

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
One if the nice things about paragard is that it's also really effective emergency contraception!

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the replies everyone! It's super helpful to have this thread.

Faux Pas
May 30, 2003

Anything for a smile.
Checking in with the Paragard.

I'm nulliparous and about a month before my one year anniversary with it, i learned a serious lesson when using it with a menstrual cup. Be careful at all times when removing the drat thing because I found myself to have expelled the IUD. I ended up just feeling the end of the plastic nub after having extremely strong cramps one day. It sucked. I waited another month later to get a new insertion.

I didn't find it uncomfortable the second time to be honest. It was much easier than the first. So yay. I'm back to having no issues with it just as long as i don't yank out the cup every time.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Those with Paragard, have you found yourself having really bad back pains with it? Since I had it inserted, I've been experiencing a dull ache in my lower back but really thought nothing of it because I get aches and pains a lot. Today I just decided to google it to see if the IUD had anything to do with it and found a lot of hits on back pain associated with Paragard specifically. One woman said hers had been going on for years, ranging from an annoyance to downright debilitating.
Maybe I should have done some more reading before I opted for it. I feel like there just isn't one right birth control for me. :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

silversiren posted:

Those with Paragard, have you found yourself having really bad back pains with it? Since I had it inserted, I've been experiencing a dull ache in my lower back but really thought nothing of it because I get aches and pains a lot. Today I just decided to google it to see if the IUD had anything to do with it and found a lot of hits on back pain associated with Paragard specifically. One woman said hers had been going on for years, ranging from an annoyance to downright debilitating.
Maybe I should have done some more reading before I opted for it. I feel like there just isn't one right birth control for me. :(

For the first few months after I got the IUD, I definitely had kind of a "knot" in my lower back always in the same spot. But I haven't noticed it for a while and don't really get it anymore. The only time I have any back pain now is usually in the week leading up to my period, which wasn't unusual for me pre-IUD anyway.

It was never debilitating though, mostly just annoying and went away with some kind of OTC pain reliever.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

silversiren posted:

Those with Paragard, have you found yourself having really bad back pains with it? S

My wife had a Mirena inserted in June and reported the same problem, but she said it isn't nearly as bad now as it was immediately after the insertion.

Although she too said while it was annoying it wasn't ever to the point of being debilitating.

Clone Farmer
Aug 28, 2006
Hey ladies, I have a slightly strange question about misoprostol.
So I'm going to get my IUD installed on Thursday, but I'm a little bit worried about getting the misoprostol tablets alllll the way up there, my fingers are pretty short and stubby. Does anyone have any suggestions for some kinda Mcgyver tool to cram them inside me? I've got 2 200mg tablets if that matters.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Clone Farmer posted:

Hey ladies, I have a slightly strange question about misoprostol.
So I'm going to get my IUD installed on Thursday, but I'm a little bit worried about getting the misoprostol tablets alllll the way up there, my fingers are pretty short and stubby. Does anyone have any suggestions for some kinda Mcgyver tool to cram them inside me? I've got 2 200mg tablets if that matters.

I didn't do the misoprostol thing for my IUD, but I've found that getting into a squatting position helps a lot for reaching your cervix. If you have to, bearing down a little while you do it can be helpful too. My fingers are fairly small and sometimes I have trouble with it in other positions but that one always works.

If you absolutely have to use some kind of tool for the job, I guess maybe something like those long applicators for yeast infection creams could work or maybe something like a tampon applicator? I don't really know how big the tablets are or if those would even work, but I don't think it's a good idea to start improvising with everyday things not designed to actually go in a vagina.

But really if you can't get it in there very well, it's not the end of the world. The idea that misoprostol makes insertions easier is a matter of debate and it's certainly possible to do without it. Not to go against your doctor's advice or anything, just don't sweat it too much if you can't get it in there.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
How do you know when pain after getting an IUD is a pain you should go to the doctor for?
Last night I was feeling up there and noticed the strings out of place and I kind of recall her saying something about if the strings moved, to come back in, but she gave me a boat-load of drugs because I told her I'd be freaking out about the insertion, so I don't know if I'm remembering that correctly or not. However this morning when I got up, I had a sharp tugging and pulling pain and it's continued throughout the day, still just a tugging kind of pain. Should I make a visit back to the doc or am I getting paranoid? :ohdear:

e: I scheduled an appointment with a different doctor tomorrow because I did a little inspection and I can actually feel the tip of the thing poking out of my cervix. :(

copy of a fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 16, 2013

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

So since the Essure implants didn't want to play nice with my left fallopian tube, I got myself a tubal ligation last week. 2 small incisions (1 in the belly button and one a few inches below that at my pubic line) and I'm good to go now.

I really wasn't the sore from it other than immediately after surgery when I was in recovery. I was cramping pretty bad (or something that felt like cramping), but they gave me drugs and it lessened after I walked around a bit. I'm already doing sit ups just fine and running doesn't bother it at all.

They did give me pain meds which I took just to be on the safe side, but honestly I don't think I was in pain other than the incision sites being tender just like any other cut would be.

Anyway I'm sterilized now. If I get pregnant after this and my husband getting a vasectomy then that kid was meant to be.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

silversiren posted:

How do you know when pain after getting an IUD is a pain you should go to the doctor for?
Last night I was feeling up there and noticed the strings out of place and I kind of recall her saying something about if the strings moved, to come back in, but she gave me a boat-load of drugs because I told her I'd be freaking out about the insertion, so I don't know if I'm remembering that correctly or not. However this morning when I got up, I had a sharp tugging and pulling pain and it's continued throughout the day, still just a tugging kind of pain. Should I make a visit back to the doc or am I getting paranoid? :ohdear:

e: I scheduled an appointment with a different doctor tomorrow because I did a little inspection and I can actually feel the tip of the thing poking out of my cervix. :(

That sharp tugging/pulling pain is what I felt as well, with cramping. Lasted about 2-3 days. Feeling it poke out of your cervix is not ideal though, definitely see that doctor. But there's also no reason to panic about it, the worst that will happen is that it gets taken out. (Not nearly as ouchie as having it put in, oddly enough) Though he may just seat it up a bit further.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Anything that ever involved touching my cervix always hurt me a LOT. Even longer penises lol. So I definitely chose the arm implant over any type of IUD. I have piercings and things, so the idea of the implanon insertion didn't freak me out. It actually went very easily. It felt much less creepy than an iud. IT's weird though, having them show you that giant needle before and after to prove they have inserted it. I almost passed out 5 minutes later but that happens anytime I get a shot or cut.

I am one of the lucky people for which this magical "thing" basically turned off any part of monthly girl behavior whatsoever. For three years, I never had a day of emotions, cramps or period of any kind, when I'm normally a volcano-type of bleeder, and I had cramps bad enough I had to skip school, though they were less horrible by work age..

I'm overweight, but not obese, and I got really lazy about the 3-year replacement. I figured it was pretty conservative in order to protect the manufacturer. But between being lazy and a complete lack of phone service within my house ( I literally drive to to park once I have two or three messages, just to be able to listen to them. OK Faraday Cage guy, please go away. Plus both times I did this, I either caught PP at lunch (obviously can't get a callback) or on the wrong hours of a particular day. Their hours are strongly different per day.I can't even get a text to eventually pop through anymore, but the PP deals exclusively by phone. ewwww

It only took two extra months over the 3-year "max", and something I had totally disregarded came right back out of nowhere. Oh MAN the blood. If you're able to avoid it entirely to the point of forgetfulness for 3 years, it's quite a shock. It's so gross and messy. I ruined a couple pair of underwear, pants, ans a couch, before I went out and bought tampons(Ive always had blood stains come right out in the wash so I'm not too worried about that part. I'm not sure how to fix the couch). I swear as well that I can smell it clearly at all times with full clothes on, like heavy jeans. I spent two days crying at every puppy on TV, even the happy ones with dentures. I haven;t had a second thought about a period at ALL in three years. I almost has a nervous breakdown til I started bleeding and understood what was happening.

Holy Crap can I not wait to get this thing replaced ASAP. I think the closest PP is open tomorrow so I can make an appt. I really hope they can do it in one appt. Its already an out of pocket $800 plus and ~30mins away. I got a DUI three years ago, 3 days after I quit my job, (so I couldn't get a judge to give me a license for work, but I couldn't get a job without a license) which was so traumatizing an experience after they threw the book at me. I no longer talk to most of my old friends, either through hypocrisy or seriously believing that I deserved 5 days in jail for a first offense where no one was hurt and nothing was damaged (I was pulled over cuz my car reg was 2 weeks late) that never really being a drinker before besides on dollar beer nights at pool league, I became an alcoholic pretty easily stuck at home alone all day. To decide to quit cold turkey by myself over three days (which were a nightmare trust me) and ended up having a seizure and stroke on day 4. I'm not THAT stupid, I never would have gone cold turkey if I realized the extent of the physical dependence +the $10k bill for stupidity. Thanks system, you're the tops. It took over 18 months to be a real un-obligated to the state human again, but now that I'm a totally legal driver, I still only leave the house for the local store for cigarettes, because everything else on earth is deliverable. You can even order liquor now, but as far as I know still gotta show my face for those cigs. I quit drinking again recently, more "safely" using Diazepam (Valium) which worked like a miracle actually, (I didn't even need most of the harm reduction schedule of dosing. After the first two pills I had no desire to drink whatsoever and no shaking or other side effects from withdrawal) so now I'm a lot more comfortable making an appointment and a being a true legal driver obviously. I'm just still uncomfortable driving at all. That's why I hope they can do implantation in one go. I've only been with one man during the last three years, and I'm fairly certain he didn't cheat on me, and I'm obviously not pregnant since blood is shooting miles across the room. (well it stopped today)I dunno how I have any blood left. =p

Any tips about Implanon replacement, or PP?, which I've never been to before, but I don't have health insurance so any advice for me to say that will keep any testing to a minimum is appreciated, even if it maybe bends the truth a little.... I've also become a pretty hardcore shut-in so the physical presence of strangers makes me uncomfortable and strange (I used to be normal lol), so of course I want it to go fast. I still take the Valium before bed and anytime I have to deal with strangers, but even though I know Benzo withdrawal is like the ONLY other thing than alcohol that can kill you from quitting, I don't feel addicted or the urge to take it. I'm also curious if I take any Valium before my appt, if it will effect any testing, like blood pressure etc. and keep me from my replacement.But I have extra reasons to dislike doctor's offices so I don't think I can go without an anti-anxiety medicine.

This little implant totally changed my life for so long I literally forgot about periods, with no side effects whatsoever (maybe some small jawline zits, never had pimples before), so I'm basically the luckiest perfect user,and the perfect candidate for a new one. I don't want to get turned down if I tell them about the alcoholism. :/, unprotected sex, even with only one person (can't ever know 100% if he did the same. I'm not psychic, but have never had any evidence otherwise) And my diazepam didn't exactly start out with a prescription from a local doctor. Yet it changed my life, in one day. I haven't thrown up in a month, when it used to be 2-3 times a day. I sleep 8 hours at once instead of 4+4, needing drinks in between. I get hungry now, and eat actual food every day, when before I was pretty much gonna die.

But any advice about what I should choose to share with them or not, but not compromise my health in some way would be nice. I REALLY don't want to end up with a pelvic or pap smear. They ALWAYS come back with irregular cells for me, 100% of the time, whether it ends up being a real "thing" or not. Talking on the phone or once I'm nervous and shaking in the office, what do I say for the cheapest, fastest replacement? I also have a particular anxiety about Dr's offices that stems from the smell, (spent ten years visiting the hospital everyday - the smell gets in your brain) so YAY I'm totally normal. But oh man that blood, those emotions, those cramps, the SMELL yuck!? I never want to experience that again. NOt particularly helpful while newly sober either!

If the DUI bit pisses you off, besides throwing the book at me, more punishments than I could even type out, including sending me to classes with genuine toothless crackheads, and actual abuse during my jailtime (from the Sheriffs, not the other criminals), you're still welcome to ignore me if you think DUI = DEVIL. Trust me, I'm used to it. It's the main reason I haven't left my house in 2.5 years. I can deal with stranger anger. It's not helpful, but it just bounces off by now. I just want to stay sober this time, and shooting out blood like a geyser and having irrational emotions every month isn't going to help.

That was way more open than I intended but I want the best advice possible. I'm only a month sober, so I want to check things off the list as fast as I can before I get overwhelmed again. It's really helped so far to "get things done". Whatever that thing is. Especially fixing the "emotional" crazy that comes with not fixing THIS one, seems extra important. I hope I don't end up regretting being so truthful.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm not even going to touch like 99% of that.

Yeah, your period comes back not long afterward. I didn't get my first one replaced on time because I was dating women so I didn't care. When my period started to return, I started caring in a hurry. After the replacement, things went back to awesome/normal.

Yes, you can get a replacement on the same day you get your old one out, even in the same arm. It'll just be a couple inches away. I did this.

You shouldn't be paying $800+. If nothing else, PP has a sliding scale. Or maybe you can stick it out for 2.5 months if it means saving that much money? Talk to PP (with less detail) and get their advice. Look up their schedule before calling, or see if there's another one a couple towns away that's easier to get in touch with.

If you've had unprotected sex, you need to get a full STI panel (even if you're having protected sex, it's a good idea). If you keep having abnormal Paps, you really need to follow up on that too. It could be nothing major, but the whole reason they want to follow up is to make sure it hasn't turned into cancer yet. That has to be caught early.

For what it's worth, none of the PPs I've been to have smelled like hospital.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
So it's been like a week and a half with my IUD and my boyfriend and I are in love with it. I didn't really realize my libido was affected by the pill but within days of getting the IUD inserted I've been super frisky and sex has been working out better. I would always have this problem where no matter how much I was enjoying the sex/had been wanting to have sex/been in the middle of sex I would just completely dry up for no reason. We would use lube, different types even, but that would just loving dry up too and it would be really frustrating and ended up completely ending the sex right then and there plenty of times. Since the IUD I've had like the exact opposite of that problem and I don't know if it's actually the IUD or just a fluke but I'm not complaining so the IUD is getting the credit. I also discovered that some of the sensitivities I had with my cervix are now gone so that's super awesome. No more pain when the boy goes a little too deep.

So all in all my sex life is officially more amazing than I thought it was before AND I don't have to worry about babies. :woop:

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Hooooooly moly, I ended up having to have my IUD taken out and replaced because it was coming out like I feared. The pain was so bad I was making up curse words and beating on the table. When I got up to change, my legs were shaking and I thought I was going to pass out. gently caress.
They said it is common for it to come out within the first week. She said it was probably because my cervix was wide open and made it easier for it to slide out. That was also what made it so easy to put in the first time.
But because I was not on my cycle this time around, my cervix wasn't open and made for lots of pain. I almost asked the nurse to hold my hand.
I REALLY hope that because my cervix wasn't open this time that it will hold the thing in because I don't know if I can stand that a third time.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Doggpickle your post was way too long to quote and I doubt you're going to want my advice because it's not going to be what you want to hear:

Be honest and open with your healthcare practitioners. Tell them you don't have health insurance and depending on your income you may be able to pay less (or nothing) for the implant. I'm not sure the status of the FTEP program but it got my implanon free. Tell them about your sobriety (congratulations on getting sober again!) Tell them about your anxiety and ask about Valium, I expect it'll be fine.

You'll be able to do removal+insertion on the same day but you may have to take a pregnancy test (and possibly a Pap smear and pelvic exam) and wait a few weeks because your current implant is inert now, so it might be two appointments. Sorry, but PP can't afford to gamble with your health.

You probably can't tell but you have a pretty skewed perspective on drugs and medicine, and whether it's justified or not, it is clearly impacting you negatively. Hopefully your sobriety and medications are supported by family, friends AND medical professionals like a therapist. That poo poo is hard and good on you for working on beating it into submission.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

CeramicPig posted:

So it's been like a week and a half with my IUD and my boyfriend and I are in love with it. I didn't really realize my libido was affected by the pill but within days of getting the IUD inserted I've been super frisky and sex has been working out better. I would always have this problem where no matter how much I was enjoying the sex/had been wanting to have sex/been in the middle of sex I would just completely dry up for no reason. We would use lube, different types even, but that would just loving dry up too and it would be really frustrating and ended up completely ending the sex right then and there plenty of times. Since the IUD I've had like the exact opposite of that problem and I don't know if it's actually the IUD or just a fluke but I'm not complaining so the IUD is getting the credit. I also discovered that some of the sensitivities I had with my cervix are now gone so that's super awesome. No more pain when the boy goes a little too deep.

So all in all my sex life is officially more amazing than I thought it was before AND I don't have to worry about babies. :woop:

What a weird side effect. Yeah I got my implanon at the same time as my last HOT(well he was out of my league yet I think he thought the same thing. NICE!) boyfriend, so I can't use the scientific method to figure out why I was immediately having 10x better/more sex. He's a goner, so once it's replaced, I'll have the chance to make a very slightly more objective judgement. I was still dryish with the hot guy. I just think mine got dryer over time :/ I din't think it'd be by 34 though. I think I had less dryness with my ex-husband, but that between 5 and 10 years ago. The body changes. Boo. But we also rarely had sex so I'll take a little fixable dryness with the hot guy anytime =D

As far as irregular cervical cells, I'm like 20/20 for bad pap smears, but only one time had something they wanted to remove. A Colposcopy? was what I ended up getting. I believe. I don't get weird cramps or any of the major/minor disorders that are prevalent around here. I think it just doesn't work right on me, the pap smear gets a false positive every drat time. Plus the colposcopy was worse than childbirth, I'd rather be stabbed in the feet with steakknives while the Top Chefs cooked my innards and made me the judge. And every woman in my family gets BREAST cancer, not cervical problems, so they don't scare me, and I'd rather receive as much or as little treatment as I choose. That's how every other industry works. I'M the one PAYING. I choose products and services, they complete or deliver them, and I exchange cash. Can they do a full blood panel in house at the same appt.? I REALLY don't wanna drive all the way there for a blood draw and get sent home only to come back for the real thing.

The PP nearest here has all their prices listed and its definitely $800+ for an implanon replacement. 'mnot sure what you mean about waiting? Are they about to get cheaper? No doctor's office had any clue what I was talking about, so I think I"ll give the PP a shot. I'm cheap, but with money in the bank. Annoying as HELL probably, but also I pay full price for EVERYTHING, and most other without insurance people get at least a partial discount.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
I am having trouble deciphering this post but just

1) tell your doctors everything about your insurance, income etc

2) tell them everything about your medical history. I guess if it's some kind of huge awful deal you maybe could skip the bad paps but if you haven't had one in three years they'll want to perform one no matter what so just tell them you have a history of bad paps.

3) accept that it will probably take two appointments. No, PP can't do a full blood panel in house but I don't know why you would need one. I didn't before my insertion, just swabs for some stds and they didn't even make me do that (or wait for results for insertion), I just wanted a panel to be safe. The "waiting" is because they want to make sure you aren't pregnant. My PP tested me, had me wait three weeks and then tested me again because bad things happen if you get it when you're already pregnant. Because you've had your implant be inert for so short a time they may let you skip this step and just do it all in one appointment! Yay! But don't assume that's the case because they might want to play it safe which is their right (other industries don't get sued for not making all the exactly right choices).

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

InEscape posted:

Doggpickle your post was way too long to quote and I doubt you're going to want my advice because it's not going to be what you want to hear:

Be honest and open with your healthcare practitioners. Tell them you don't have health insurance and depending on your income you may be able to pay less (or nothing) for the implant. I'm not sure the status of the FTEP program but it got my implanon free. Tell them about your sobriety (congratulations on getting sober again!) Tell them about your anxiety and ask about Valium, I expect it'll be fine.

You'll be able to do removal+insertion on the same day but you may have to take a pregnancy test (and possibly a Pap smear and pelvic exam) and wait a few weeks because your current implant is inert now, so it might be two appointments. Sorry, but PP can't afford to gamble with your health.

You probably can't tell but you have a pretty skewed perspective on drugs and medicine, and whether it's justified or not, it is clearly impacting you negatively. Hopefully your sobriety and medications are supported by family, friends AND medical professionals like a therapist. That poo poo is hard and good on you for working on beating it into submission.

Never heard of FTEP but I'll look it up. Sounds like it won't relate to me though.

The problem is that my entire family died at just the right point in life for a middle class family with higher than average savings ratios, a 30 year old house, one child, and decent life insurance policies to suddenly leave me (what I consider) buttloads of money at age 29. I don't brag about it; I can't bag it all up and move to California kinda money, but I don't have to work. I was literally incapable as an alchy and I'm too recently sober to make such a big decision. (Edit - weird I'm still new to a notebook and I tend to accidentally drag things around with my wrists on the touchpad by accident Can turn in real nonsense quick. END EDIT I didn't earn it, and I don't pretend I did. I'm always quite clear about that. But nothing is free for me even though I have zero income. My Stroke and Seizure cost the FULL $10,000 but it's not like that's chump-change. That's fixing/redoing my whole roof. Something useful. I considered (obviously before! lol) buying my own health insurance, but it is very expensive unless you want it extremely limited. I did my best evaluation of it's worthiness vs. my chances at my age for catastrophic injury and I decided against it. I didn't know at the time that and ambulance ride, some scans and 1.5 days in the hospital costs $10,000. It would have been TWICE that, easily, if I had not denied consults and certain brain scans. That changes the equation, and makes the single policies look less useless.

I will spend more and save less than I should because my life expectancy is fairly low, so why waste it. I still want to pick where it goes
I don't think I have a skewed perspective about medicine. I'm spent more time in hospitals than in school. I want to choose what I want, get it, and pay for it. like anything else. Anyone with the knowledge is most welcome to share with me their thoughts on my best options for tests or treatments, but in the end, I am the consumer. The Dr. should not be my boss.

I think they can preg. test in like 30 seconds now. I still consider it a waste of money since I'm already had a half period and hellish period over with, with no sex during that time. If my word was considered to have any value, they would not waste the time or resources, since it is impossible. That's calling me a liar to precise. I was only worried about the Valium in my system in case it would effect any of the procedure, and I wouldn't have to show a prescription or anything. But that jail and those Sherriffs, that was years of nightmares. 2 years later I saw one (they are unccommon, khaki, not blue) and had what I was expecting to end in a heart attack, but eventually went away.

Meanwhile this is sounding worse and worse, with a full pelvic I don't want, I don't mind a blood screen (anybody can be a perfect liar, though I have no symptoms and haven't in three years). Worth it. Plus now we're at TWO visits as well at over $1000. I'm only half-joking but if I could find one online, that wasn't a second-world knockoff with possibly different ingredients, I would insert it myself. HOPEFULLLY somebody could find something good enough for the pain Hip, Hip, who's got the broken hip? Who's granny isn't doing so well ATM? lol

DoggPickle fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 17, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm not even sure what-all is going on anymore.

The reason you keep having abnormal Pap smears isn't because "they don't work on you," it's almost certainly because you have HPV. HPV can turn into cancer, and the fact that it's been so long and your body hasn't cleared it is worrying. They want you to keep having checks because they want to catch the cancer as soon as it starts, when it can still be removed/cured. Colposcopies truly suck (I've had one), but full-blown cancer has got to be worse. I don't know about a genetic component here, it's mostly about whether you happened to catch HPV and what type it is, so your relatives' history doesn't help you.

You don't need to have symptoms to have STIs. Syphilis is popular for this; there can be no signs right up until you're incredibly, incurably hosed. That's why testing is a big deal. If every STI had obvious symptoms, none of them would be epidemics.

They'll probably want to do a blood test (rather than a quick, but less accurate urine test) for pregnancy. Maybe they can skip it if you tell them you've been abstinent for however many months.

Waiting might be cheaper because of Obamacare, but I don't know how that plays out when you have a ton of cash but no income. It's worth talking to a navigator or at least PP.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

You shouldn't be paying $800+. If nothing else, PP has a sliding scale. Or maybe you can stick it out for 2.5 months if it means saving that much money? Talk to PP (with less detail) and get their advice. Look up their schedule before calling, or see if there's another one a couple towns away that's easier to get in touch with.

I can't really comment on most of this since I have no experience with Implanon, but I will say that the sliding scale thing depends entirely on the individual clinic and where you are. I went to Planned Parenthood for my IUD and the clinic didn't do sliding scale prices anymore because they'd lost some kind of funding or something. So the whole thing ended up costing about $600 out of pocket because I didn't have insurance or Medicare. And back when I was in college, the Planned Parenthood there used to charge me a similarly expensive flat rate for everything (it was $140 for a pap smear and somewhere around $40 a pack for pills). Basically what I'm getting at is what she's saying could be true. Just because it's Planned Parenthood doesn't mean they charge on a sliding scale. And the IUD at least was after the whole Obamacare BC thing went into effect.

I'll also add that I seriously doubt they're going to do any blood tests at all for Implanon. For my IUD they did a finger stick to test my iron levels (and nothing else), a pelvic to swab for STDs and then a pee-in-a-cup pregnancy test. And the STD thing was mostly because of risks unique to IUD insertions. Although really after 3 years with a history of abnormal paps, you really should get a pap smear DoggPickle. Putting it off like that is how cervical cancer goes unnoticed/untreated until it's too late.

Also DoggPickle, I'm not trying to be mean or troll you here but your posts are seriously scattered all over the place and give way too much extra unrelated information that we really don't need to know. That's why people are having a hard time answering your questions.

CeramicPig posted:

Yeah, that's one of those side-effects they don't really tell you about. You'll get some crazy huge amounts of discharge at times and that can be a little weird - like your vagina suddenly has a cold or something. :v: I had a similar problem to yours on the pill (no lubrication) except in my case it took a few months to go away completely. I noticed the libido thing right away though, when after 2 weeks off the pill I suddenly felt the urge to just pounce my boyfriend for the first time in a long time.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 18, 2013

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CeramicPig posted:

Hah I went through this as well. I never had any libido at all on ANY pill or even nuvaring but bam. Got that IUD out and now i've got at least 2 weeks a month where i'm harassing my husband. Feels great to be the one initiating, eh?

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I don't mean to give extra or irrelevant info, just flesh out a reason for something. It's pretty simple. There's an inch-long plastic tubey thing in my arm, which has made immeasurable positive change in my life for 3 full years with zero effort, and noo side effects, and I'd like a new one that still works instead. I DONT wanna drive 30 minutes each way twice, I don't want to pay over $1000

And I choose not to pay for a pap and pelvic, which always make me so grossed out anyways, and the speculum is just so creepy on it's own. And they always hit my cervix painfully at least once. It's never the pap smear either IIRC but I have a barely sober 3-year alchoholed brain.
#1. There's the tiniest, most miniscule margin they may find something broken with no symptoms that is actually permanently fixable, but will cost me every penny I have, even every one I made "honestly", and by 40 I can be sure my highly unlikely, very rare, previously non-harmful, yet treatable problem is gone HAHAHAHAHA
#2. - then there's a little larger chance of finding something they don't like that eats up the rest of my life, with medical appointments, treatments and in the meantime also costs all my money my family ever worked for, and then still kills me anyways, just more irradiated. Remember, we don't Cure your cancer, we TREAT it!
#3. The most likley scenario is that I have nothing wrong with my ladybits at all, since I have no symptoms, no problems (cept the implanon running out right when I want to be as level-headed as possible) and the likelihood of Syphilis is pretty silly. (unless it's gained a lot of ground I'm not aware of, I would take back "silly". It would most likely not effect me anyways, since it primarily presents in old age, and we DO NOT DO old age in this family. 60 is our average, with a very few outlyers, but pretty much everyone plans around 60. One grandfather was closer to 70. Two died in their early 30's. I am unaware of any cervical cancers or ladypart deaths, but since my Dad was raised in an orphanage, I do not know the exact health reasons of which both his natural parents died. Pretty sure his father had a bad ticker(but an idea more than sure),his Mom, not a clue. Dad didn't talk much period. He certainly didn't volunteer information. He really liked making fun of cows though. They really are the least fun animals of all time. We eat them for a reason. It's just good luck they're so tasty!

I'm sure they'll have to do a preggy test to follow the rules, even though it makes me a pee-in-a-cup accused liar, because I can clearly state that it's impossible. But it won't probably cost that much, so as obviously wrong and wasteful as it is, it's probably not expensive enough to be irritating.

A nice general everything STD is fine with me, plus it's only fair I know for sure before I risk anyone else's health if I ever get out there again. I have not slept with anyone since the last ex of 3 years. At a month sober, my steps are more like "build the new cabinet that hides your crap" and "rememer, you have to at least get the mail once a week" then sleeping around. I'm still unhealthily attracted to my ex, whom I still see as a friend, though his very unpredictable behavior due to his alcoholism and other drug use makes him a little dangerous to talk to because he can be randomly mean or supportive, but he was also 99% the ONLY LIVING person I ever saw for 2 years, so he has obvious insight that others don't. And when he's UP, he's quite helpful. He can be equally hurtful or worse, and he was the last piece of bad influence that helped me on my way, but he's also the only person I know closely in the world. But so the boy idea doesn't even cross my mind. JEEZ at least for sure not til my vag is fixed. It hasn't bled in over a day and still smells weird. I think I've just forgotten the smell of period over time.

I haven't had 3 years of bad paps. I've had 3 years of no paps, 3 days after I quit my job, I haven't left the house besides by court order or to get cigarettes or booze. I had lunch with a girlfriend once, but I found her more boring than being at home, I ate once at Carabbas by myself when I was in a fight with the man, and I went bowling with a male friend once, but he didn't just wanna be "friends" clearly, and he's not my type, "severe skull nose", ewww nice guy bad luck.. so I had to be slightly rude at random times til he stopped asking me to do things. SO I sure as heck haven't seen a doctor lol. I have my dog-food delivered, and even my toilet paper. You think I picked a doctor randomly with no insurance, and chose to drive there and be poked at with nothing bothering me? for hundreds and hundreds of dollars? lol Not a chance.

With every pap before that coming up bad, and only 1 out of 20 being any concern, I choose not to care about "pap smears" at all. I'm actually aware that I have two strains of HPV so far, one that is slightly possible to be cancerous but not the worst couple ones, and one that only causes warts yet it has been lovely enough not to do that a single time. He could have been lying of course but an odd lie, my ex also told me he had two versions but luckily both the warty type. As long as that was true, (cross fingers) I had no problem sending all condoms to hell in exchange for contracting them as well. I was clear about mine too. The two types I had when we met, one of mine is worse than his worse. But it was still his choice to for SURE have it now. For boys though,it's probably easier to take the chance of getting a disease that can't actually effect you, but his future sexcapades and truthfulness are his choice too, and something I'd rather not picture.

I find it all quite simple. They even give you the price up front. I want a small tube taken from my arm and a new one added. The price is ludicrous, but so was my Dyson Vacuum and it's AWESOME. So I find it worth the price. I would like to only drive there once, pay for the service I wanted, have it done and be home as soon as possible, I am also willing to pay for a full blood STD test, because I am interested to find out the results, which they could easily email to me when it returned from the lab. I don't see the usefulness of any other procedure you mentioned, so I would rather not take part. As the customer, this should be my experience.

*This IS random*, just skip it if you've never heard of a "SKIN-TAG"but I do get skin-tags randomly which are so bizarre, you can get one confused for something a lot worse if you don't look close enough, or don't know what it is, or just don't get the stupid things like most people. Try squeezing it or poking it with a needle to see if the skin is alive or dead. I paid a doctor for a visit thinking I needed a wart removed from my ladybits because of my HPV when I could have done it at home for free, cuz it was really just a little tag of dead skin that really wanted to be with me. Once he told me what it was, I left and did it myself. They're grody hunks of dead skin sections that just decide to die off in little group and just hang there. Usually pretty small. I just snip them off with vodka and nailclippers but the VG one was tough, hard to see in a scary spot, not as easy:) The eyelid one took a bit of courage as well, but the skin is actually dead so it has no feeling, it just sounds absolutely horrifying. I KNOW it won't hurt. I've done it like 6 times, I was SURE this was a skin tag, but I think the courage for the clippers to my eyelid was worse than the labial one. I hate being irrational lol. Slightly relevant, I have never gotten a wart. Are they painful and how fast do they go full strength?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

I don't mean to give extra or irrelevant info, just flesh out a reason for something. It's pretty simple. There's an inch-long plastic tubey thing in my arm, which has made immeasurable positive change in my life for 3 full years with zero effort, and noo side effects, and I'd like a new one that still works instead. I DONT wanna drive 30 minutes each way twice, I don't want to pay over $1000

My point is you're posting giant walls of text about things that we really don't need to know and it's making it very difficult to sift through to even figure out what your birth control questions ARE. For example, with the travel thing you could have simply said you didn't have your license and left it at that, there's no need to go into a huge paragraph about your DUI.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what to tell you here. You aren't going to find a (good) clinic anywhere that isn't at least going to want to exam you to some extent before they give you a new Implanon and that may or may not include something like a pap unless you lie to them about the HPV and about how long it's been since you had one (and I recommend never lying to your doctor). For travel, you may have to go twice, you may not. I know you said you don't really get phone service, but you're better off finding some way to actually contact them and ask PP yourself. We can't tell you for sure if it'll be two appointments or not. Some Planned Parenthood clinics have separate regional websites that will allow your to contact them by e-mail, which might be worth looking into for your area.

The only other option I can think of is maybe your county health department. I got free birth control from mine for years because they did charge based on income and they offered things like Mirena and Implanon very cheaply. Maybe yours does too. I've seen them in other counties/states.

Finally 2 other things:

- Cervical cancer is actually very curable in the early stages before it has a chance to spread and is most often completely asymptomatic.

- I really hope you weren't serious about trying to get an Implanon and put it in yourself. Besides just being insane for an untrained person to do, it's also very easy to go too deep in your arm where there are really important nerves and a pretty huge artery.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
My gynecologist gave me the go-ahead to make an appointment with the county health department for an IUD placement! She works at the school clinic, which doesn't do anything but the pill, but actually had a good talk with me about it and even brought out the Mirena display she'd been sent by the company so I could see how tiny the Mirena really is. I was expecting it to be bigger. But anyways, I'm super excited and slightly anxious about calling the county health department.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

GabrielAisling posted:

My gynecologist gave me the go-ahead to make an appointment with the county health department for an IUD placement! She works at the school clinic, which doesn't do anything but the pill, but actually had a good talk with me about it and even brought out the Mirena display she'd been sent by the company so I could see how tiny the Mirena really is. I was expecting it to be bigger. But anyways, I'm super excited and slightly anxious about calling the county health department.

Sounds awesome! I skimmed your post at first and saw "Mirena" and "doesn't do anything but pills" and got worried for a second- glad you're going somewhere that has experience inserting since most problems with them occur from inexperienced insertions. You'll do fine, I promise :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GabrielAisling posted:

That's funny because my health department was the opposite - they could get me the device but would have to refer me out to a gynecologist to do the insertion.

But yes, I was surprised too at how small IUDs were. Even after seeing the tiny Paragard model in the office, it still kind of shocked me for some reason when I saw how small it was in the package at the insertion appointment. A lot of the photographs and diagrams out there make IUDs look HUGE and I think that contributes to some of the anxiety about them (I know it did for me anyway).

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
I've been on the pill for about 1.5 years now for cysts and other reproductive weirdness and I just recently became sexually active in a monogamous relationship. Honestly, I'm pretty bad about taking my birth control pill every day even though I'm very on point with other daily medications I take. Because of this, we use condoms. I find that despite my kind of erratic schedule with the pill (sometimes taken a few hours late, sometimes a dose skipped all together, no more than 3 pills skipped a month) I find that my reproductive issues are still taken care of and I no longer suffer from erratic periods, super painful cramps, and super heavy periods.
I was looking into an IUD, if it would be covered by my insurance, since I'm so terrible with the pill. I know the IUD works as a contraceptive, but will it have the same benefits on my funny reproductive organ symptoms? I read on the Planned Parenthood website that IUDs (Mirena, at least) actually have a risk of causing cysts when that was something I was trying to curb by getting on the pill in the first place. What about the other symptoms I mentioned? Having steady contraception I don't have to worry about is great but I wouldn't see the point if it had no effect on the symptoms I got on the pill for in the first place, you know?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I can feel the tip of my IUD poking out of my cervix again...
I had sex last night for the first time since getting it reinserted, but I checked myself after and everything felt fine. Just checked again and I can feel it, sticking out a fair buy more than it did last time.
I'm so upset. I don't want to get it taken out again, and I don't want to have to go through the pain of getting it reinserted. Again. The doctor the second time around kept asking me it I was sure I wanted to go through it all again, and they all were very hesitant about giving me an answer if it happened again.
If this doesn't work out I have no options left for birth control except hoping my boyfriend will get a vasectomy.
What should I do? I don't have the pain like I did the first time, but it is definitely sticking out. Do i maybe just have a small uterus? Should I just not worry about it? Will this effect its effectiveness? Can this cause issues for my reproductive parts? Will my boyfriend be able to feel it (he is way above average) and will it hurt him?
Just help me out here please, I'm freaking out again.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

silversiren posted:

I had sex last night for the first time since getting it reinserted, but I checked myself after and everything felt fine. Just checked again and I can feel it, sticking out a fair buy more than it did last time.
I'm so upset. I don't want to get it taken out again, and I don't want to have to go through the pain of getting it reinserted. Again. The doctor the second time around kept asking me it I was sure I wanted to go through it all again, and they all were very hesitant about giving me an answer if it happened again.
If this doesn't work out I have no options left for birth control except hoping my boyfriend will get a vasectomy.
What should I do? I don't have the pain like I did the first time, but it is definitely sticking out. Do i maybe just have a small uterus? Should I just not worry about it? Will this effect its effectiveness? Can this cause issues for my reproductive parts? Will my boyfriend be able to feel it (he is way above average) and will it hurt him?

Okay big breath. Goooosefraba.....
Make an appointment with your doctor and get him to look at it. I had a bad experience with the paraguard and later got the mirena and it's been 5 months of just fine for me. If your body is rejecting it, then that's what's happening and that's all there is to it. Make and appointment and see your doctor. Ask him what's going on.
You're going to be okay. You will find a birth control option that works for you. This is just a bump in the road.

Chiba City Blues posted:

I've been on the pill for about 1.5 years now for cysts and other reproductive weirdness and I just recently became sexually active in a monogamous relationship. Honestly, I'm pretty bad about taking my birth control pill every day even though I'm very on point with other daily medications I take. Because of this, we use condoms. I find that despite my kind of erratic schedule with the pill (sometimes taken a few hours late, sometimes a dose skipped all together, no more than 3 pills skipped a month) I find that my reproductive issues are still taken care of and I no longer suffer from erratic periods, super painful cramps, and super heavy periods.
I was looking into an IUD, if it would be covered by my insurance, since I'm so terrible with the pill. I know the IUD works as a contraceptive, but will it have the same benefits on my funny reproductive organ symptoms? I read on the Planned Parenthood website that IUDs (Mirena, at least) actually have a risk of causing cysts when that was something I was trying to curb by getting on the pill in the first place. What about the other symptoms I mentioned? Having steady contraception I don't have to worry about is great but I wouldn't see the point if it had no effect on the symptoms I got on the pill for in the first place, you know?

Hey Chibs! :respek:
Well do you have a planned parenthood in the area? Go in and ask some questions. There are so many options that could work out for you. From nuvaring to implanon.... but they are the ones that are going to have answers for you better than anyone else. I know that the Mirena slows your period down if not stops it all together but I'm not sure about how it works with cysts.
Have you thought about training yourself to take the pill at a certain time every day during a certain situation? Eg: if you have a cell phone set it for oh let's say dinner time with a "TAKE YOUR PILL" reminder. Or what I used to do is put my pills on top of my alarm clock. When it went off in the morning and I went to smack the button I hit the pills and thought "Oh yeah... take one of those."

If the pill is working for you try to train yourself better?

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Chiba City Blues posted:

Mirena can help with super heavy periods and maybe cramps. Unfortunately, it doesn't regulate your period so that may still be an issue. Of course, there's always a chance you may be in the group of women whose periods stop completely (like 20% of users I think).

If you're just looking for less "memory intensive" birth control, there are plenty of options out there other than IUDs. Implanon or things like NuvaRing or the patch. It might be worth making an appointment with whoever prescribed your pill or some place like Planned Parenthood and just explain your situation to them in full. They might have better ideas about what would be a good fit with your medical condition.

silversiren posted:

Looking over your posts, you have a Paragard I'm guessing? As I understand it, a lot of Paragard's effectiveness comes not only from the copper but also from being in the proper placement. Mirena I think is more lenient since it has hormones, but Paragard not so much. So if it's sticking out of your cervix, yes that could very well reduce its effectiveness. And we do have at least one person who posted in this thread I think whose boyfriend apparently had a scar (and serious anxiety about IUDs) from running into a partially expelled IUD during sex. I don't know about what issues it might cause for your reproductive parts (totally not a medical expert), but it seems to me that it might become a risk for infection or unintended side-effects like pain since now you're technically not using it as designed.

• Locked thread