Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Millertime posted:

On the subject of power metal, one band I rarely see mentioned is Heavenly. In particular, the album Dust to Dust is loving fantastic. Awesome concept album that can be listened to front to back without any skippable songs whatsoever.

Here's my favorite track from the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY8lg-q1PrU

Holy poo poo Heavenly is a blast from the past.

Back in college the intro to this song used to be my ringtone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymfrq4RrFtU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

IRQ posted:

No reason to regret power metal, I've been on a huge Blind Guardian kick the last 2 weeks for no reason I can figure. Born in a Mourning Hall is a loving sick track.
Blind Guardian was one of those bands where I was like "eh, they're pretty good I guess" when I would listen to them, and then back around late '11 I got a weird obsession to the point where they pretty much haven't left my car's CD player since.

For anyone near NYC, Japas 38 has like a dozen Blind Guardian songs in their karaoke songbook. That's one of them. I need to get a metal karaoke crew out there one day to sing some oldschool Arch Enemy.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
If I found a karaoke place that had the entire Nightfall in Middle Earth, I would destroy my vocal cords.

NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON FRIENDS

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ahhh Gamma Ray.

For 51 weeks of the year I cannot stand them.

However, for 1 week of the year, they will be the ultimate definition of musical glory that nobody else has ever reached. I will live, eat, breathe and babble constantly about Gamma Ray.

Then one week later I can't stand them again.

Still they are awesome value for that one week.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Thanks for the recs, guys. Power metal is definitely a once-in-a-while thing, but when I'm in the mood it works like a charm.

I've really enjoyed Edguy, Kiuas, Wuthering Heights and Gamma Ray. Blind Guardian is good but I prefer Battalions of Fear to Nightfall for some reason. It's more aggressive and catchy, I find.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
Check out Evergrey's albums In Search Of Truth and Recreation Day. Good powermetals right there.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Has anyone mentioned Pharaoh yet? Tim Aymar (from Control Denied) is on vocals. It's one of the better power metal albums in recent history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ilvX0zrBgw

Also if you like guitar noodling power/prog I would check out Symphony X.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Oh and also the new Skeletonwitch tape has been leaked

Album of the year

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah the new Skeletonwitch is amazing. Every single track loving rips, and the production is stellar.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Gamma Nerd posted:

Thanks for the recs, guys. Power metal is definitely a once-in-a-while thing, but when I'm in the mood it works like a charm.

I've really enjoyed Edguy, Kiuas, Wuthering Heights and Gamma Ray. Blind Guardian is good but I prefer Battalions of Fear to Nightfall for some reason. It's more aggressive and catchy, I find.

Check out Hammerfall. Also Dragonland's Astronomy is excellent, even though it's not in the same style as the ones you mentioned it still deserves to be checked out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gamma Nerd posted:

After Blind Guardian's "Nightfall..." (which nothing will ever touch for me), my favorite power metal album is Sonata Arctica's "Silence". It's cheesy as all poo poo, but really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pioL1uaGJ4M

Defiant Sally posted:

Album of the year

...is it actually a tape?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

They are actually selling a cassette version for one of their preorder packages, yeah.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
In terms of power metal there's really no reason to listen to Hammerfall since this is where they stole their entire sound anyway.

Also, listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz6Q4UV-iPI

the second best power metal album around.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MrBling posted:

In terms of power metal there's really no reason to listen to Hammerfall since this is where they stole their entire sound anyway.

Having never seen this album cover before, I can only think of this:

Also, I'm pretty impressed to hear how much guitarwork Children of Bodom seem to have outright lifted out of this album a few years later. Not to say that I don't hear Iron Savior themselves lifting liberally from Mercyful Fate (no small coincidence that you posted this), Blind Guardian and others.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 19, 2013

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Condition Red all the way for Iron Savior in my view. Though I'll admit it doesn't have a cover that brings such scenes to mind.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Misogynist posted:

Having never seen this album cover before, I can only think of this:

Also, I'm pretty impressed to hear how much guitarwork Children of Bodom seem to have outright lifted out of this album a few years later. Not to say that I don't hear Iron Savior themselves lifting liberally from Mercyful Fate (no small coincidence that you posted this), Blind Guardian and others.

If anything Kai Hansen is just "stealing" from himself/his previous bands. Lots of Helloween and Gamma Ray in Iron Savior. I mean, Piet Sielck the vocalist started out as a producer/guest helper guy on a lot of those early Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian albums since he's friends with all those guys.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

QPZIL posted:

After Blind Guardian's "Nightfall..." (which nothing will ever touch for me), my favorite power metal album is Sonata Arctica's "Silence". It's cheesy as all poo poo, but really good.

SA is amazing, it's cheesy bad, but it's so good. It's a shame they got bad bad after Unia.

If you want good power metal though, there's always Kamelot and Symphony X.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

MrBling posted:

I appreciate this. I haven't really dug deep in the power metal rabbit hole but I have an unhealthy Running Wild addiction that I've been dealing with for the past few years. I really need to branch out and find some new stuff.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

MrBling posted:

In terms of metal there's really no reason to listen to Hammerfall.
There, I condensed your message for you.

I used to play the poo poo out of the first three Iron Savior albums back in the day, but they haven't quite stuck with me like some of those other old favourites. Still good stuff though, no doubt about that.

To get an idea of just how close buddies Sielck and Kai Hansen are, their co-written song Watcher in the Sky appeared on both Somewhere Out in Space and the Iron Savior debut. (Also god drat it is such a good loving track).

And while we're still on the subject, I'd like to reiterate that Merging Flare's Reverence is one of the better euro power metal albums in recent years. If you like Iron Savior, Gamma Ray and the likes, give it a spin.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Agreeing with a lot of the power metal opinions posted, here's a couple I like:

Engage was a shortlived band from Glenallen, VA, their demo is fantastic aside from the vocalist having a questionable sense of being on-key:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL5q5K23uRg

Threshold is one of the best power-prog bands imho, though they aren't nearly as shreddy as like Symphony X, instead of taking power metal speed and making it wankier, their focus is more on catchiness with more elaborate prog themes and concepts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Xlj4-tiws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YUg3d1EUKE

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

What do you guys think of Black Majesty and Excalion? They are a couple of my favorite power metal bands, and I don't think they have mentioned before.

Het is correct, Threshold's new album is amazing. I can listen to "The Hours" for, well, hours.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Threshold are one of those really underrated bands and I'm not totally sure why they're not more popular. Specially considering how reserved they are on the noodling and seem to deliver the sort of thing people wish Dream Theater would do - write songs, don't wank all over the place and have some style. I'm a big fan of both bands, though for people who don't like DT, Threshold seem to be logical answer. Will also pimp March of Progress, it rocks and rocks hard.

Durendal posted:

What do you guys think of Black Majesty and Excalion? They are a couple of my favorite power metal bands, and I don't think they have mentioned before.

Black Majesty are great stuff as well. Aus isn't really a land known for metal, let alone power metal but Sands of Time and Silent Company are two albums that more people need to listen to, right now pretty much.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 20, 2013

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

het posted:

Engage was a shortlived band from Glenallen, VA, their demo is fantastic aside from the vocalist having a questionable sense of being on-key:
This is really, really good. Just the right kind of low-fi, down to earth stuff. Will listen again. Thanks!

Durendal posted:

Excalion?
I quite like them, though I wouldn't call myself a fan. Waterlines is a solid album and has a couple really drat killer tracks, High Time is good too but didn't quite stick to me like Waterlines did.

But as much as I love gushing about power metal, I am now going to interrupt it by pointing out that Arkham Witch have released an EP in august that I've completely managed to miss. Just listening to the title track now, and it sounds loving huge as all hell.

http://arkhamwitch.bandcamp.com/album/hammerstorm-2

EDIT: Welp, all three songs are guaranteed Arkham Witch quality. Guddamn this band rules so much I can't deal with it.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 20, 2013

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Ever since I learned about the Shadow Kingdom dual-CD remaster/rerecording rerelease of Dark Quarterer - Dark Quarterer I've been relistening to it a million times while I wait for it to arrive. Such a great album. Is there anything else that sounds like it? Even other Dark Quarterer doesn't really do that much for me, The Etruscan Prophecy is okay but Symbols... isn't. I haven't heard War Tears or Violence , though.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
For some power-y, progressive-y, folk-y stuff, I'd give Myrath a try too. Definitely a unique sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMvqMHST2Is

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.
Surprised no one has brought up 'Ample Destruction' by Jag Panzer; probably the definitive USPM album filled the brim with riffs.

On the proggier side of stuff you really cannot go past Virgin Steele either. They're one of those rare bands who actually manage to use keyboards tastefully and incorporate interludes successfully. 'The House of Atreus Act I & II' and 'The Marriage of Heaven & Hell Part I & II' are their best set of albums and worth it if you enjoy genuinely epic music.

Also seconding recommendations for Manilla Road ('Crystal Logic', 'Open the Gates' and 'The Deluge') and Fates Warning ('The Spectre Within' and 'Awaken the Guardian' - the rest are garbage).

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Lots of guilty pleasures have already been mentioned. I must add Heaven's Gate, another German band.

Here they are covering Helloween, this song brings be back like 12 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Bw-E6h27Q

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

anti-magic posted:

On the proggier side of stuff you really cannot go past Virgin Steele either. They're one of those rare bands who actually manage to use keyboards tastefully and incorporate interludes successfully. 'The House of Atreus Act I & II' and 'The Marriage of Heaven & Hell Part I & II' are their best set of albums and worth it if you enjoy genuinely epic music.

I honestly think that Invictus, the stand alone album between the Marriage and House sets, is their single best album. But when it comes to those five albums you really can't go wrong.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Durendal posted:

Black Majesty

Best bunch of blokes and constantly working on new music.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Gamma Nerd posted:

Speaking of things that kick tons of rear end, I want to know if there is a better power metal album than Lost Horizon's second album (their first album is also great). Only thing that comes close to it in the genre that I've heard was Temple of Shadows by Angra.

Hibria's album Defying the Rules is 100% platinum coated awesome.

The rest of their output is pretty sub-par, but that one album is really awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyq8AKVfLC8

I have weakness for Power Metal about Sci-Fi. So I may like this Keldian album more than it deserves.
Keldian - Heavens Gate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reBuz97GgBM

Also on the subject of Manila Road: Warlord are awesome, and more people need to listen to Warlord.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Defiant Sally posted:

Oh gently caress yes, that's going to be some good gym tunes.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Between a new Skeletonwitch and Summoning album were like one Sigh release away from 2006 era Me being in musical heaven (2014 can't come soon enough).

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Any other old fucks give the new Convulse a chance and end up totally disappointed? Absolutely nothing I loved about Reflections is here, not even the sunlight studio guitar crunch.

Maybe Reflections was a one off album but I'll be hosed if they don't sound like any other generic death band now :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

Any other old fucks give the new Convulse a chance and end up totally disappointed? Absolutely nothing I loved about Reflections is here, not even the sunlight studio guitar crunch.

Maybe Reflections was a one off album but I'll be hosed if they don't sound like any other generic death band now :(
Reflections is a one off album? Have you never listened to World Without God?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Reflections is a one off album? Have you never listened to World Without God?

Yes I have and if you think those two albums sound the same I don't know what to say. WWG is good but Reflections sounds entirely different

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

What are we due for, a "G" album?

(For those that don't know...

Scorn Defeat
Infidel Art
Ghastly Funeral Theatre
Hail Horror Hail
Scenario IV: Dread Dreams
Imaginary Sonicscape
Gallows Gallery
Hangman's Hymn
Scenes From Hell
In Somniphobia
...)

edit-- oh well there ya go, the next album is going to be called "Graveward," I was right!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

Yes I have and if you think those two albums sound the same I don't know what to say. WWG is good but Reflections sounds entirely different
I don't know about sounding the same (I haven't heard Reflections), but I thought you were implying that Reflections was their only good album, which would just be bizarre considering how good WWG is.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't know about sounding the same (I haven't heard Reflections), but I thought you were implying that Reflections was their only good album, which would just be bizarre considering how good WWG is.

It's like a completely different band. Not bad if you're into the post-grind Xysma death n roll thing, but nothing like their first album at all.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Weaponized Cum posted:

Lots of guilty pleasures have already been mentioned. I must add Heaven's Gate, another German band.

Here they are covering Helloween, this song brings be back like 12 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Bw-E6h27Q

How about a cross between death(ish) vocals and power metal? The disbanded-too-soon Imperanon.

e: also yeah, Manilla Road, forever, but everyone else already mentioned them

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

QPZIL posted:

For those that don't know...

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo Sigh, I never knew.

Hail Horror Hail is pretty badass but I've never liked their really obnoxiously eclectic proggy stuff like In Somniphobia. I mean, they're not nearly as obnoxious as unExpecT or Diablo Swing Orchestra, but "avant-garde metal" is so silly.

Apparently Graveward is planned for a 2015 release?

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 21, 2013