Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think wands and bracelets are better for doing damage. It could just be that their attack pattern is easier to use than the non standard one offered by the staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Staff is a little harder to hit with, yeah. If your target is moving around at all you won't get every hit possible out of the whirlwind since it's stationary while wand/bracelets let you lead your target better.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
-snip-

7c Nickel posted:

I think wands and bracelets are better for doing damage. It could just be that their attack pattern is easier to use than the non standard one offered by the staff.
I think staff pulls waaaay ahead in AOE situations, ie most of the game, in terms of damage and the frequent AE stun and the constant passive group healing from the water tornadoes is really strong too. Wands/bracelets do put out more single target damage.

e. The #1 drawback to using a staff is that fuckin' bubble noise. Wallay desperately needs to hire a sound artist.

e2. IN MY OPINION

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 12, 2013

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Above Our Own posted:

-snip-

I think staff pulls waaaay ahead in AOE situations, ie most of the game, in terms of damage and the frequent AE stun and the constant passive group healing from the water tornadoes is really strong too. Wands/bracelets do put out more single target damage.

e. The #1 drawback to using a staff is that fuckin' bubble noise. Wallay desperately needs to hire a sound artist.

e2. IN MY OPINION

Yes, the sounds do get really grating after a while.
And crazy loud, even if you have the sound turned way down.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
IIRC we had two mages in our group, I think they were both water at one point. Its kind of sad fire doesn't get an AOE damage to boost itself. Fire never seemed to do more damage, than water, and water had healing going for it.

Wands/braclets I think leave water spots the ground that heal your friends/yourself, also.

I tried playing as a warrior early on, but found I either did no damage, and couldn't hold anything well. I went back to my ninja and we continued to own things pretty hard.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Rawrbomb posted:

IIRC we had two mages in our group, I think they were both water at one point. Its kind of sad fire doesn't get an AOE damage to boost itself. Fire never seemed to do more damage, than water, and water had healing going for it.

Wands/braclets I think leave water spots the ground that heal your friends/yourself, also.

I tried playing as a warrior early on, but found I either did no damage, and couldn't hold anything well. I went back to my ninja and we continued to own things pretty hard.
IN MY OPINION fire is strictly worse in every way. Wands/lets do also heal friendlies in the path of the projectile, but it doesn't end up being nearly as much passive healing as the swirly.

Warriors can do pretty decent damage but they have to manage their shield block and I doubt they could ever match an equally geared Ninja. Warriors can obviously soak damage better but Ninjas can tank almost as well or even better via evasion tanking, there's just less margin for error.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Above Our Own posted:

IN MY OPINION fire is strictly worse in every way. Wands/lets do also heal friendlies in the path of the projectile, but it doesn't end up being nearly as much passive healing as the swirly.

Warriors can do pretty decent damage but they have to manage their shield block and I doubt they could ever match an equally geared Ninja. Warriors can obviously soak damage better but Ninjas can tank almost as well or even better via evasion tanking, there's just less margin for error.

I meant dot, not AOE, though having similar fire patches on the ground for fire would have been neat, even if just a clone on what water was doing.

I preferred the ninja's play style, and tanked fairly well, as long as I had someone baking me up. I could never not get hit, you're not 100% immune even while dodging.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
So, no meaningful updates since July. Wollay hasn't been on twitter since mid-August.

Wollay is dead. Or, he cashed out in the name of "Early access".

I played the poo poo out of the alpha, I got my :10bux::10bux: worth, but gently caress that guy.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Maybe he spent all that money on cocaine and overdosed in a massive orgy.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Maybe he's putting the finishing touches on the latest alpha build right now? :allears:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Typical Pubbie posted:

Maybe he's putting the finishing touches on the latest alpha build right now? :allears:

Yeah right :smith:

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

So did this really cool game die?

I picked up the alpha the other day and it isn't bad at all. Why the hell did everyone run for the hills?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I just looked it up and Wollay hasn't communicated for 57 days :eyepop: Maybe that has a little something to do with it?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Drinkfist posted:

So did this really cool game die?

I picked up the alpha the other day and it isn't bad at all. Why the hell did everyone run for the hills?

The developer is an anti social enigma. This game will be "alpha" forever.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Sometimes you get that. Sperg genius puts out cool but unfinished thing, gets freaked out by the attention and scarpers off, leaving it unfinished.

Even Toady has better PR skills.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I can honestly say I wish I had saved the money I spent on this game when it first came out on something else that would have had some actual content.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Deadly Hume posted:

Toady has better PR skills.

Heh heh.

According to Steam I picked up 30 hours of gameplay out of Cube World, so I'd call that overall a win considering how much I paid for it.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I'm not sure what you could really add because you're inevitably going to get to the point of diminishing returns (on populated multiplayer servers at least, trying to make any progress single-player would just be a boring meatgrinder) where you've put 200 points in everything and now there's virtually no point to leveling up or finding better gear other than killing same-y enemies 0.1% faster or getting around the obnoxiously massive world at a slightly less sluggish pace.

I recall they did tease having building cards that would theoretically allow you to build your own towns (hopefully with teleporters because if I hadn't made it clear already, it's really goddamn boring having to spend 2 hours flying in a straight line to get somewhere), but even then that doesn't solve the issue of players running out of things to do because just killing mobs is ostensibly all there is anyway. They could add random events or more involved boss mobs, but they probably wouldn't maintain their appeal for longer than a few hours.

To play devil's advocate, I can't blame the guy for seeing that there was some real hype for the game and cashing out, but I wish he would have at least used that money to immediately start expanding the game and turning it into something as big as Minecraft or Terraria. It's a lot of missed potential if he really has just dropped off the face of the earth.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Supposedly there were plans for more different types of quests, the ability to build houses\villages and manipulate terrain, more biomes, more items etc etc but with Wollay MIA its anyone's guess as to whether any of that will ever amount to anything or if Wollay is going to spend the rest of his life chilling on a beach in the Bahamas.

It's possible he'll pull a Toady and six months later will appear out of nowhere with a new build that adds an entire new layer of complexity, but I wouldn't count on it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'm not sure what you could really add because you're inevitably going to get to the point of diminishing returns (on populated multiplayer servers at least, trying to make any progress single-player would just be a boring meatgrinder) where you've put 200 points in everything and now there's virtually no point to leveling up or finding better gear other than killing same-y enemies 0.1% faster or getting around the obnoxiously massive world at a slightly less sluggish pace.

I recall they did tease having building cards that would theoretically allow you to build your own towns (hopefully with teleporters because if I hadn't made it clear already, it's really goddamn boring having to spend 2 hours flying in a straight line to get somewhere), but even then that doesn't solve the issue of players running out of things to do because just killing mobs is ostensibly all there is anyway. They could add random events or more involved boss mobs, but they probably wouldn't maintain their appeal for longer than a few hours.

To play devil's advocate, I can't blame the guy for seeing that there was some real hype for the game and cashing out, but I wish he would have at least used that money to immediately start expanding the game and turning it into something as big as Minecraft or Terraria. It's a lot of missed potential if he really has just dropped off the face of the earth.

I was under the impression the existing skill trees were merely intended to be extremely basic tip of the iceberg introductory skills for a much more robust class system. More skills for existing classes. More weapon types for existing classes. More classes period; gun users. Lightning, earth, or wind magic users. True pet classes like necromancers or beastmasters. That's just ideas for player options, nevermind the infinite potential for enemy type variance(giant dragon bosses that fly around and breathe fire before landing to attack with tail swipes and claws! Robot enemies composed of individual parts that split off to attack individually! etc etc) and the other host of stuff that could be added.

What Cubeworld is right now is akin to late alpha modless Minecraft or pre-release leak Terraria. It's a glorified proof of concept that's pretty fun to play for a while but after getting your initial jollies all you can do is look at it and sigh at the unfulfilled potential.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kanos posted:

I was under the impression the existing skill trees were merely intended to be extremely basic tip of the iceberg introductory skills for a much more robust class system.

You are correct.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Wolfram Lives!

https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/392124893480767489

I mean, it's still basically nothing but at least he didn't turn tail from all the harassment and run with the money

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Magmarashi posted:

Wolfram Lives!

https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/392124893480767489

I mean, it's still basically nothing but at least he didn't turn tail from all the harassment and run with the money

Honestly, that is a HUGE relief. I basically went from not giving any more shits about the game to being somewhat excited again with just one tweet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well don't I look like an rear end in a top hat.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
What is it with Indie devs and pulling Toadys; vanishing for large periods of time and then suddenly reappearing looking all innocent and holding a new version of the game and wondering why everyone is so upset.

Orv posted:

Well don't I look like an rear end in a top hat.

That's what you get for passing judgement before possessing all the relevant facts :v:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Neruz posted:

What is it with Indie devs and pulling Toadys; vanishing for large periods of time and then suddenly reappearing looking all innocent and holding a new version of the game and wondering why everyone is so upset.

They are "indie" for a reason (usually because they are not professional, in more ways than one.) They don't know how to interact with their customers and can't afford professional PR like a real company might, and they don't know how to stick to schedules like a real company usually has to.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Neruz posted:

They might be the types of people who largely stay away from online communities for one reason or another, and stopped bothering to look in their inbox due to the flood of hate mail. For all we know, they only just found out that there's been a major concern among the games' playerbase about a lack of feedback.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Neruz posted:

That's what you get for passing judgement before possessing all the relevant facts :v:

To be fair I'm an rear end in a top hat anyway. :v:

Three months is a decent clip though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

They are "indie" for a reason (usually because they are not professional, in more ways than one.) They don't know how to interact with their customers and can't afford professional PR like a real company might, and they don't know how to stick to schedules like a real company usually has to.

They don't need professional PR, but after all that alpha money came in they could more than afford to hire a dedicated programmer, web guy, and the most basic of marketing like tweeting. Maybe even hire up a talented spriter and chiptune composer. Turn the product or service you are working to deliver into an evolving thing that continues to be worth paying for to more people and by extension make a growing business that can work on more games. This couple is in the position to be become more serious and more successful game developers but are choosing not to.

They are clearly not business people and have some real life stuff going on or something that needs money.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 21, 2013

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Neruz posted:

Toady seems to be releasing regular status updates these days.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Toady seems to be releasing regular status updates these days.

Yeah he's been at it for so long that he's managed to accidentally develop a good workflow. Took him like ten years of practice though.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

All it took was one tweet and I got excited all over again.

In stark juxtaposition to how Notch was very involved with the community and turned out a poo poo product*, Wollay is super quiet and putting time into a polished item.

*I do love minecraft, but have to admit that the way Notch just crammed stuff into the game ham-fistedly was...less than elegant and made for a buggy game. While there are fewer features in Cube World, what IS there works fine and there's a very solid base . I can't argue against minecraft's success. I just have to accept that indie devs do things differently, and I think we can treat each on a case by case basis.

I'm tired from a poo poo ton of travel in the past few days, so I just rambled to say: Yay, Cube World!

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Rotten Cookies posted:

All it took was one tweet and I got excited all over again.

In stark juxtaposition to how Notch was very involved with the community and turned out a poo poo product*, Wollay is super quiet and putting time into a polished item.

*I do love minecraft, but have to admit that the way Notch just crammed stuff into the game ham-fistedly was...less than elegant and made for a buggy game. While there are fewer features in Cube World, what IS there works fine and there's a very solid base . I can't argue against minecraft's success. I just have to accept that indie devs do things differently, and I think we can treat each on a case by case basis.

I'm tired from a poo poo ton of travel in the past few days, so I just rambled to say: Yay, Cube World!
I get that everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but calling Minecraft a "poo poo product" is an extreme outlier in just about every possible way. By most ways you could slice it the correct term for minecraft would be "enormously successful."

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What, popularity equals quality now? And didn't someone else have to take over Minecraft's development for him?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Above Our Own posted:

I get that everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but calling Minecraft a "poo poo product" is an extreme outlier in just about every possible way. By most ways you could slice it the correct term for minecraft would be "enormously successful."

That's weird, it seems like you read my post, but only part of it.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Jackard posted:

What, popularity equals quality now? And didn't someone else have to take over Minecraft's development for him?

Yes, and with the next patch for minecraft the code will have: Gone through several refactors with the next releases being the largest refactor the game has ever seen, has had its AI partially rewritten (was to be fully rewritten but the guy was pulled off of MC to work on their TCG, Scrolls), has had its sound engine rewritten from scratch, has had its rendering engine rewritten from scratch (hey they are adding stained glass finally :v:), and has had its net code rewritten from scratch with help from the core dev of Netty. Heck, even a lot of the art assets have been slowly changed in the time since Notch left the project. I highly doubt there is much of his legacy still left in the code these days and doubt there will be anything remaining by the time they finish cleaning the game up.

Minecraft is very much a poo poo quality game that rose to stupid levels of popularity, not because it was a good game, but because it hit on a genre typing at just the right time and in just the right way. It would be easy to make a Minecraft clone that was successful, it is just that most people who make clones make something that is less a game and more just a voxel tech demo with flashy lighting and graphics.

Anyway, that was a bit of a tangent. Good to see that Wolfram is alive, wonder if that massive dragon boss he showed off a whiles back is part of what he is working on now.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Jackard posted:

What makes a game good, to you?

Enzer posted:

Minecraft is very much a poo poo quality game that rose to stupid levels of popularity, not because it was a good game, but because it hit on a genre typing at just the right time and in just the right way. It would be easy to make a Minecraft clone that was successful, it is just that most people who make clones make something that is less a game and more just a voxel tech demo with flashy lighting and graphics.
Minecraft was successful because it was an absolute blast to play especially with friends, and even managed to appeal to people with little gaming experience by virtue of being so goddamn fun. It's a role model for accessibility. It was "poo poo" maybe in terms of being hacked together in Java, being generally unrefined, and not providing MMO-levels of continued content for people who had already sank in hundreds of hours.

Being extremely fun is my measure of what makes a game good and I think it's pretty clear that a lot of people found minecraft to really, really fun to play regardless of it's hacky engine and unpolished art assets.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Enzer posted:

Minecraft is very much a poo poo quality game that rose to stupid levels of popularity, not because it was a good game, but because it hit on a genre typing at just the right time and in just the right way.

Minecraft was/is a really good game though. A lot of people have had a lot of fun with it and I don't know how else you could define a game as being good. If someone can't enjoy an otherwise playable and fun game because it's coded poorly they're missing the point entirely.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

im a girl btw posted:

Minecraft was/is a really good game though. A lot of people have had a lot of fun with it and I don't know how else you could define a game as being good. If someone can't enjoy an otherwise playable and fun game because it's coded poorly they're missing the point entirely.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I am not saying MC is a poorly made game and thus it has no entertainment value. In fact I think the opposite is true, that despite being a poorly made game, it is stupidly entertaining. Read the following line you are quoting, I was talking about how people making MC clones don't seem to get why MC works. That making the game a game is more important sometimes than making a technically superior game. I was talking about how the clones focus more on making their games with weird realistic next gen graphics and other technical poo poo, but forget to include the reason for why MC sold so well, because it is fun despite its flaws. :psyduck:

That said, just because it is fun does not excuse the poo poo work Notch did on the game and I am very happy that Mojang is working to try and fix the game and improve it into a well made game, since that will improve the experience you get while playing it. On the flipside you have Wally who seems to want to do both, produce something that has great entertainment value (and I for one think it does, having spent an ungodly amount of time on the initial Alpha), but also seems to be concerned about the quality of his work. Unlike Notch, Wally seems to have a clear idea of what he wants done and where he is taking the game, hell remember when Notch was going to take MC into a more RPG route, the planned Goblin armies that would rise up and siege your poo poo? Or how levels were originally going to be for improving various stats, not enchanting? Notch and Wally have two very different ways of developing, Notch is very spur of the moment, rapid fire with ideas, however he is not committed and leaves things half finished or implemented when he gets bored, Wollay is very structured, but he is slow in development (as seen in his blog for CW's development over the years) because he seems to be the guy who does things, and does them right, the first time and makes sure it all works properly before moving onto to the next thing (Grum from the current MC dev team is like this).

I've forgotten where I was even going with this originally. I think I was just responding to someone asking about how poorly MC was coded. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
This thread is such a den of negativity, the "Cube World sucks" arguments stop and now people have to fight over other games :(

Nobody thinks Minecraft is bad, but anybody who ran a server or looked at the code can tell you it was made of beard hair held together with chewed bubblegum. The fact that it was a magical experience doesn't really make the bubblegum go away and some people will be unhappy it had gum in it to begin with. Can't we all just be glad that Cube World doesn't appear to be made of gum and also Wollay found the Internet again?

Smoke weed, play with digital cubes, get along :unsmith:

• Locked thread