Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Planning to try and play through the first game soon as I stopped in Act 2 last time I tried. OP only seems to suggest mods for 2, anything worthwhile for the first game? I know FCR is a big one but a lot of people seem to complain about it, can't tell if those are directed towards FCR or FCR 2 though (or both)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think they're directed towards both. They're very love it or hate it.

Also I was thinking, how's this a possibility for the mysterious thing that Triss is supposedly hiding from Geralt: She's known Yennefer was still alive this whole time.

Not sure I believe it myself, but it's remotely possible, and would be a big twist for her character.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Maybe, but I always thought the secret was established as simply being the existence of the Lodge. (Which seems to me to be the biggest discontinuity between 1 and 2.) In the "Save Triss" Chapter 3 branch, he's pretty upset that she kept that from him, right?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

I think they're directed towards both. They're very love it or hate it.

The only problem I have with either FCR mod is that the one for the first game makes that first act even more of a crapshoot when it comes to combat. You'll either kill stuff in 1-2 hits or die out of nowhere. Quicksaving is pretty much essential. Everything from that point on is great though, and the redesigned swamp section is SO much better it's not even funny.

FCR2 is almost universal improvements. More responsive controls, passive defense and the game doesn't get piss-easy after the first half.

The hate they get is really puzzling to me. I mean, surely you can't think that the original combat in the first game is better, or that smoother controls/animation in the second are a bad thing, right?

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 16, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

In the "Save Triss" Chapter 3 branch, he's pretty upset that she kept that from him, right?

He can be. Depends on the chosen dialogue options.

And yeah I'm replaying TW2 vanilla now and I'm really missing how much easier it was to switch targets in FCR2.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I just reinstalled this and I don't really fancy playing through the prologue again. Does anyone have a save at the start of Act 1 handy?

edit: Found the quick start on the Nexus.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 20, 2013

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I had installed FCR 2 1.0 when it came out, but encountering the bugs, had decided to wait for the new version. Finally got around back to it. Do I just install 1.1 over 1.0, then get the 1.1a hotfix? Or do I need to remove 1.0 before installing 1.1 somehow?

Edit: Installed 1.1 over 1.0. It caused a conflict. I didn't see 1.0 in my add/remove programs area, but did see 1.1. Removed 1.1. That got rid of them both I guess. Then reinstalled 1.1, then the 1.1a hotfix. That seems to have gotten it. Good times.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 20, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I kind of feel bad for the number of times I've played this game. To think I used to make fun of people that played Mass Effect 2 6 times.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Sharmat posted:

I kind of feel bad for the number of times I've played this game. To think I used to make fun of people that played Mass Effect 2 6 times.

After a big patch ruined my 2nd playthrough when I was in Vergen (1st time doing Iorveth's path) I havent been able to motivate myself to play another :(

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Your mind and motives are utterly incomprehensible to me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Little thing I missed until now: Iorveth's Path/Chapter 2: If you go into Phillipa's house before it's time to cross the mist, you can see the statue that Triss is inside sitting on a table. Cynthia didn't even bother hiding it, it's in plain sight.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah there's lots of cool little things like that in the game.

I took that to mean that Cynthia actually did it on Philippa's orders.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Maybe, but I don't know. I would think a twist like Philippa colluding with Nilfgaard (since we know that Nilfgaard and the Lodge as a whole were not aligned) is big enough that it would've been made clearer later in the storyline, and I can't think of anything else to support that. So right now I'm just assuming that she knew the statue was magical but didn't think it was important enough to investigate further.

Edit:What I can buy that is that Cynthia told Philippa that she captured Triss on her own without telling her that she did it for Nilfgaard. Maybe she said "Here's Triss. I fortunately happened upon her out in the gullies. You can hold her over Geralt's head if he threatens to stop cooperating later.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 22, 2013

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

Edit:What I can buy that is that Cynthia told Philippa that she captured Triss on her own without telling her that she did it for Nilfgaard. Maybe she said "Here's Triss. I fortunately happened upon her out in the gullies. You can hold her over Geralt's head if he threatens to stop cooperating later.

Yeah thats at least plausible, but to suggest that Phillipa knew about/ordered Triss to be captured frankly doesnt make any sense as she has no real reason to do it. She is the type of person to take advantage of whatever comes her way although personally I doubt she knew where Triss was.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

That's more what I meant. She'd of course have no idea Cynthia was a Nilfgaardian double agent.

SpRahl posted:

Yeah thats at least plausible, but to suggest that Phillipa knew about/ordered Triss to be captured frankly doesnt make any sense as she has no real reason to do it. She is the type of person to take advantage of whatever comes her way although personally I doubt she knew where Triss was.

Triss was clearly not on board with the whole killing Demavend thing and she was starting to suspect the Lodge of being behind the Kingslayers. She was going to Vergen specifically to confront Philippa after she recovered from the teleport. I can see Philippa wanting to contain the situation. Sile at least thought it was worth killing Triss over. Why shouldn't Philippa go for a less drastic method? I'm also not sure that Cynthia could draw on a bunch of Philippa's magic through the leashed sorceress thing without Philippa knowing about it, though I'm not clear how that works. I do think it odd that the statue was magical enough for a Witcher's medallion to pick up but not magical enough to warrant attention from Philippa if she didn't know it was there.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Regardless of Philippa's opinion of Triss, the order to find and capture Triss definitely came from Ambassador Shilard. You can find copies of the order on the bodies of Nilfgaardian soldiers when you cross the mist. So I think if Philippa knew about it at all, she didn't know until after Cynthia captured her.

The Sharmat posted:

I'm also not sure that Cynthia could draw on a bunch of Philippa's magic through the leashed sorceress thing without Philippa knowing about it, though I'm not clear how that works.

I think it's strongly implied that she used the power of that Nilfgaardian sorceror who was with Shilard, who she as a real apprentice to.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 22, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If Shilard knew she was in the area (and he did), surely it'd have to be through Cynthia in the first place?

Lycus posted:

I think it's strongly implied that she used the power of that Nilfgaardian sorceror who was with Shilard, who she as a real apprentice to.
Where? I figured they set up the leash thing for that very reason.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

If Shilard knew she was in the area (and he did), surely it'd have to be through Cynthia in the first place?
Maybe, but my only point is that I don't think Philippa ordered her found and captured.

The Sharmat posted:

Where? I figured they set up the leash thing for that very reason.
I haven't replayed the part yet, but I'm sure I remember there being a note in Shilard's tent that mentions Cynthia as that sorceror's legit apprentice, so I always took the implication from that.

Edit: Alright, played it. The actual text is that the sorceror "keeps his apprentice Cynthia on a short leash". I considered that a strong implication that she could've done the artifact compression without Philippa's power.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 23, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Eh, I could go either way now.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Are there any crafting diagrams or items I should be sure to purchase before I finish chapter 1, or is everything still available as you move forward?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
When it comes to stuff like potions and bombs, anything you need is available the entire way through. Plus you start with basically the most-used recipes, anyway.

For armor and weapons, it doesn't really matter, on account of each chapter's gear being significantly better than the chapter previous.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Good to know, thank you.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

You'll be making a lot of Diamond Armor Reinforcements throughout the game, so you'll want that. But yeah, that'll be available in all chapters too.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

He can be. Depends on the chosen dialogue options.

And yeah I'm replaying TW2 vanilla now and I'm really missing how much easier it was to switch targets in FCR2.

Which is weird, because he knows about it in the Witcher 1. I recall a conversation with someone - Radovid maybe? - about it. Plus if he's got his memories back, he's quite familiar with it.

As for the other discussion, it's been a while. From what I recall, the Lodge (really Sile and Philippa) start wanting to make a power grab. Triss is not OK with this, and they cut her out. She starts guessing they are behind the slaying, calls Philippa and Dethmold on the magic phone thing. Letho grabs her, forces her teleport them. She goes to confront Philippa in person. I don't remember if she ever gets there or not - I don't think she does. Cynthia compresses her into the statue. I took it to mean Cynthia was more powerful than Philppa realized. I don't think Philippa would kill or kidnap Triss and I don't think she knew Triss had teleported, did she? Philippa doesn't seem the type to kill someone if she thought they could be used for her purposes. I don't think she'd try to kill or capture Triss before attempting to manipulate her further, and I doubt she'd want to make a direct enemy out of Geralt.

It's a testament to the writing that you can have these discussions and the characters do act like you'd expect. They're quite well-drawn in that way.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Spite posted:

Which is weird, because he knows about it in the Witcher 1. I recall a conversation with someone - Radovid maybe? - about it. Plus if he's got his memories back, he's quite familiar with it.
Yes, it's a discontinuity. In the neutral epilogue, Triss talked openly about it with Foltest (maybe Radovid too), with Geralt standing right there. In Witcher 2, they decided to make into a top secret society, and Geralt didn't learn about it until late in the game.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Lycus posted:

Yes, it's a discontinuity. In the neutral epilogue, Triss talked openly about it with Foltest (maybe Radovid too), with Geralt standing right there. In Witcher 2, they decided to make into a top secret society, and Geralt didn't learn about it until late in the game.

Eh, the Lodge was always a secret society and Geralt, by way of his association with Yennefer/Ciri, was intimately familiar with its members and deeply distrustful of its objectives (until he got Hunted). Really, I find it's helpful to treat TW1 as more of a self-contained reimagining of the central themes and vignettes of the saga and not as a proper sequel to the saga as the narrative and characterizations of TW1 are sometimes rather at odds with the source material.

Basically, you could consider Geralt's encounter with the Hunt as an inevitable consequence of the situation Geralt finds himself in at the end of the saga and as most of the events of TW1 are either a rehash of events from the short stories or are entirely self-contained with no consequences for established characters/the world at large, Geralt's story can pretty much be picked up at the beginning of TW2.

Cause let's be real, that entire mutant army thing was pretty bizarre.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Spite posted:

As for the other discussion, it's been a while. I took it to mean Cynthia was more powerful than Philppa realized.
Yeah which is why I figured she did it through the leash, and Philippa knew about it, since they point out that it lets her call on Philippa's power. I saw it more as emergency containment and Philippa kinda panicking a bit with everything going wrong with Letho. But there are alternative versions of this that make as much or more sense, as has been pointed out.

Leb posted:

Basically, you could consider Geralt's encounter with the Hunt as an inevitable consequence of the situation Geralt finds himself in at the end of the saga and as most of the events of TW1 are either a rehash of events from the short stories or are entirely self-contained with no consequences for established characters/the world at large, Geralt's story can pretty much be picked up at the beginning of TW2.

Yeah I agree. Hell, in a way, as far as I can tell, it's just a really compact version of some of the high notes of the book series. Only sort of substitute Ciri with Alvin and Yennefer with Triss/Shani an throw in a kinda cool twist at the end. I also don't think they had any kind of long range narrative plans until TW2. I mean hell, for all they knew at the time of the making of TW1, this would be their last game. As I recall they weren't in great financial straits at the time.

So yeah, TW1 is only sort of canon.

Leb posted:

Cause let's be real, that entire mutant army thing was pretty bizarre.
Also the Professor comes back from the dead to be in a game.

Edit: Speaking of discontinuities, will anything else come of the nameless Witcher that attacked Foltest the first go around? I mean Letho never talked about him, and they point out in the prologue of TW2 that unlike the other Witchers, he didn't have a medallion of any kind. Plot point, or was he just a hook for the next game they wanted to get out of the way?

And I still have no idea what the deal with the drat comet is or if it means anything.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Leb posted:

Eh, the Lodge was always a secret society and Geralt, by way of his association with Yennefer/Ciri, was intimately familiar with its members and deeply distrustful of its objectives (until he got Hunted).
They definitely have Geralt not knowing about it at the start of Witcher 2. If you ask Triss about it in Chapter 3, she's surprised and asks "How do you know about the Lodge?" So it is a discontinuity. It's not to big deal to me either, though.

The Sharmat posted:

Edit: Speaking of discontinuities, will anything else come of the nameless Witcher that attacked Foltest the first go around? I mean Letho never talked about him, and they point out in the prologue of TW2 that unlike the other Witchers, he didn't have a medallion of any kind. Plot point, or was he just a hook for the next game they wanted to get out of the way?
Yeah, they never really covered where he came from. The best answer I could think of for this is how Letho mentions that he knows there are a couple of other viper school witchers out there besides him, Serrit and Auckes but he hasn't seen them in a long time. Maybe one got captured by the Empire and was given the same deal as Letho's trio.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 24, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That's just depressing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lycus posted:

They definitely have Geralt not knowing about it at the start of Witcher 2. If you ask Triss about it in Chapter 3, she's surprised and asks "How do you know about the Lodge?" So it is a discontinuity. It's not to big deal to me either, though.

Yeah, they never really covered where he came from. The best answer I could think of for this is how Letho mentions that he knows there are a couple of other viper school witchers out there besides him, Serrit and Auckes but he hasn't seen them in a long time. Maybe one got captured by the Empire and was given the same deal as Letho's trio.

Honestly I think the assassin from the first game was related to the fact that it was all about people stealing the Witchers secrets. And they changed course and went for the Letho storyline as a sort of adaption to that. There's still plenty of material for the Salamanders though since the other Witchers are off in other directions and we still haven't heard from them.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well I'm pretty sure the 'Killing Monsters' trailer had Vesemir in it.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Lycus posted:

Right, I'm saying it's useful to largely ignore the events of TW1 (as the developers themselves seem to have done) when approaching TW2. You could chalk it up to failures of historiography, a favorite theme of Sapkowski in the saga proper. :unsmith:

As for Triss' remarks, well, in spite of her strong feelings for Geralt, she nevertheless has a long history of being less than entirely forthright with Geralt.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Leb posted:

Right, I'm saying it's useful to largely ignore the events of TW1 (as the developers themselves seem to have done) when approaching TW2. You could chalk it up to failures of historiography, a favorite theme of Sapkowski in the saga proper. :unsmith:

As for Triss' remarks, well, in spite of her strong feelings for Geralt, she nevertheless has a long history of being less than entirely forthright with Geralt.

Triss' strong feelings towards Geralt are heavily colored by the undeniable fact that she's second-place to Yennefer. It was a point of tension between them, as well as between her and Yennefer. Speaking on saga-reader terms, I think the bigger thing is to see if Ciri finally comes back into the story or not. She's a completely unresolved plot point that they haven't hooked into.

All-in-all TW1 can be seen as half of a "how the hell is Geralt still alive?" combined with some fanservice in the form of familiar stories (the Striga). Knowledge of the first game, or of the saga, are helpful but not entirely necessary for enjoying TW2. The in-game compendium does a well enough job of explaining most of the backstory.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In couple of weeks there will be another Witcher book by Sapkowski. It seems it will be more in line of first books with stories, and it's likely they'll take place before the end of last book.
I've decided to replay Witcher 2 since I've got a new gfx, and drat, I forgot how unforgiving some encounters can be. Everyone remembers drat dragon, but I usually get first sudden "poo poo, savegame was an hour ago" death in the forest near first city, being jumped by a bunch of nekkers.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think there's any doubt Ciri will factor into the third game somehow after that whole spiel about the Wild Hunt looking for the Elder Blood in TW2.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

CD Projekt Red doesn't care about following the books to the letter, so it's really possible. They could even keep with the ending of last book, and this could mean Gerald could meet (book spoiler) knights of the Round Table.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
How do you apply armor enhancements? I crafted some Diamond enhancements and a Heavy Leather +7 chest piece. I tried clicking on the enhancements in the inventory screen and it says, "That action is not available" or some such. Do I need to take them someplace to be applied, like a craftsmen?

VVV Well there you go. I didn't notice any slots, so I bet it doesn't. Thanks! VVV

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 11, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

TheStampede posted:

How do you apply armor enhancements? I crafted some Diamond enhancements and a Heavy Leather +7 chest piece. I tried clicking on the enhancements in the inventory screen and it says, "That action is not available" or some such. Do I need to take them someplace to be applied, like a craftsmen?
Does that armor have slots for enhancements? Next to where your armor is equipped, there will be small open circles that will show how many enhancements you can apply. If there are no circles, then that particular armor can't be enhanced. If there are circles, then (if you're on mouse) you can just click+drag the enhancement and drop it onto the equipped armor.

If it can't be enhanced, then just hang on to the enhancements until you get some better armor, which probably won't be long.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 11, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

alex314 posted:

but I usually get first sudden "poo poo, savegame was an hour ago" death in the forest near first city, being jumped by a bunch of nekkers.
The game autosaves every five minutes though, and I don't think that can be turned off (which is a problem in and of itself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I didn't mind that. It made it virtually impossible to lose progress. Just wish there was a more convenient way of clearing them than going to the actual saved games folder. And that it let you name your manual saves.

• Locked thread