Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i started watching xena: warrior princess because i just dont care anymore

xena is a babe its understandable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
doesnt she get boobies out in some recent tv show about hercuels times

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i thought that the point of the time travel was that there could be two distinct timelines and everything could basically coexist? p. sure it was supposed to be their big concession to the trekkies.

that would contradict how time travel has worked in every other star trek event though, every time something in the past changes something immediately happens, like when the 1701-C wasnt destroyed because it fell back in time and the klingons never signed a peace treaty, so the enterprise D turned into a battleship until they could send them back to where they belong, which immediately reversed it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

did xena and hercules ever guest star on voyager? i'd be kinda surprised if they didn't considering upn got the rock on

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh wait xena was syndicated it wasn't a upn property. how about... moesha

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Werthog 95 posted:

oh wait xena was syndicated it wasn't a upn property. how about... moesha

hmm, how about less?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i started watching xena: warrior princess because i just dont care anymore

legend of the seeker is a modern version of Hercules/Xena if ur looking for more fantasy camp.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

that would contradict how time travel has worked in every other star trek event though, every time something in the past changes something immediately happens, like when the 1701-C wasnt destroyed because it fell back in time and the klingons never signed a peace treaty, so the enterprise D turned into a battleship until they could send them back to where they belong, which immediately reversed it

lol star trek uses different time travel rules p much every ep, just relax and let the sperghurt float away

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Can-O-Raid posted:

lol star trek uses different time travel rules p much every ep, just relax and let the sperghurt float away

its not as bad as their treatment about how fast warp X is. poo poo like warp 1 varied between "10 minutes to cross a solar system" to "5 seconds to get from one solar system to another"

the article on memory alpha is pretty funny

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

warp 1 is said to be equal to c in enterprise, but in TOS warp 6 is equal to 0.02 * c

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Warp_factor

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

so there's a bunch of different ways to travel through time and they all do different disruptive things to the timeline(s)

just like how there's a bunch of different transporter designs which is why they never go wrong the same way twice

and how the warp scale has been redefined a bunch of times, and stardates have too

I'm okay with it

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
looper was the best time travel movie because it had bruce willis flat out telling the audience not to sperg about time travel mechanics

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

its not as bad as their treatment about how fast warp X is. poo poo like warp 1 varied between "10 minutes to cross a solar system" to "5 seconds to get from one solar system to another"

the article on memory alpha is pretty funny

warp X is merely travel at the speed of plot necessity

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

that would contradict how time travel has worked in every other star trek event though...

this is an insane thing to say. have you ever *seen* star trek?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ol qwerty bastard posted:

looper was the best time travel movie
WRONG

[img-bill-and-teds]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
wrong, img-twelve-monkeys

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shaggar posted:

legend of the seeker is a modern version of Hercules/Xena if ur looking for more fantasy camp.

legend of the seeker is based on the sword of truth books

aka ayn rand in fantasy land

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Monkeyseesaw posted:

this is an insane thing to say. have you ever *seen* star trek?

the more i think about it, youre right. when there were changes it was "i guess the past does affect the future and we fixed things," but then multiple times teams ran around san francisco and caused massive havoc and nothing really changed except ciscos picture was in the history books

~whatever, sit back and enjoy the ride i guess~

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stymie posted:

legend of the seeker is based on the sword of truth books

aka ayn rand in fantasy land

idk anything about the books but the show is about hot people fighting evil or being evil

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the sword of truth books are all about fantasy objectivist ubermenchen fighting one another because the people are stupid and need to be led by champions of reason

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

except in the episodes where it features different timelines co-existing

also stymie was right i actually read those books when i was younger and didnt know any better and somehow i actually enjoyed them but reviewing them now holy poo poo they are loving awful. the author actually ended up writing an entire book to dig himself out of an ideological plot hole when he decided that his stance on murdering innocent people was too mainstream and instead figured that killing people is a perfectly moral act and therefore requires no justification

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
and this is to say nothing of the psychosexual torture that most of the characters, including the ostensibly good ones, engage in frequently and in great detail

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Gus Hobbleton posted:

except in the episodes where it features different timelines co-existing

ok i cant remember those, please help

the one with sisko starting a riot in lovely era san francisco doesnt count because the ship still in the future was isolated due to :techno:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

echinopsis posted:

doesnt she get boobies out in some recent tv show about hercuels times

i think so. something set in rome i think? i'm too lazy to look it up. pretty sure i saw screenshots though.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
the guardian of forever protects it's planet from any time travel hijinks, otherwise star trek uses bill and ted rules (the correct rules)

the tng finale broke the rules but that was just q dicking around

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stymie posted:

the sword of truth books are all about fantasy objectivist ubermenchen fighting one another because the people are stupid and need to be led by champions of reason

Stymie posted:

and this is to say nothing of the psychosexual torture that most of the characters, including the ostensibly good ones, engage in frequently and in great detail

yeah I heard someone complain about the show once cause it doesn't have all that or atleast the torture is toned way down and only the evil guys do it and they are all punished for it cause their evil. Its literally the most basic good v evil pulp but its fun and everyone looks great and the bad guy is really good too. Its very much in the visually and thematically bright style of Hercules and Xena which I guess is the opposite of the book.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

so is it better or worse than gor

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

the more i think about it, youre right. when there were changes it was "i guess the past does affect the future and we fixed things," but then multiple times teams ran around san francisco and caused massive havoc and nothing really changed except ciscos picture was in the history books

~whatever, sit back and enjoy the ride i guess~

timetravel in star trek is definitely my #1 gripe with the series. they (the writers) use it with reckless abandon as a reset button and stupid deus ex machina and it sucks

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shaggar posted:

yeah I heard someone complain about the show once cause it doesn't have all that or atleast the torture is toned way down and only the evil guys do it and they are all punished for it cause their evil. Its literally the most basic good v evil pulp but its fun and everyone looks great and the bad guy is really good too. Its very much in the visually and thematically bright style of Hercules and Xena which I guess is the opposite of the book.

sounds like the tv show runners did the smart thing and ignore all but the most basic parts of the source material and just run with it as a new way to make a silly fantasy show, i just feel sorry for the poor souls who might decide to read the books because they liked the show

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

timetravel in star trek is definitely my #1 gripe with the series. they (the writers) use it with reckless abandon as a reset button and stupid deus ex machina and it sucks

counterpoint

gary seven owns star trek iv owns

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

angry_keebler posted:

counterpoint

gary seven owns

gary seven strikes me as like a chintzy american knockoff of doctor who

also gene was such a ridiculous perv that he spent hours getting gary seven's sidekick's skirt raised

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
but yeah star trek 4 owns

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i've never watched the star trek movies so i have no idea

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well except for canon (jj abrams)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
star treks 2 and 6 are good, star trek 4 is ok, star trek 3 has its moments, and the rest are pretty bad for varying reasons.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ol qwerty bastard posted:

looper was the best time travel movie because it had bruce willis flat out telling the audience not to sperg about time travel mechanics

too bad, if bruce willis sperged about time travel mechanics for like one second he'd realise there was literally no way his plan could ever end with him happy

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

xena was a cylon :awesomelon:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and then rdm got bored w/ her character and thew her away. altho atleast he boxed her up on the show instead of just dropping her altogether like most other characters.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

angry_keebler posted:

the guardian of forever protects it's planet from any time travel hijinks, otherwise star trek uses bill and ted rules (the correct rules)

the tng finale broke the rules but that was just q dicking around

what? no it doesn't. bill and ted uses closed timeline loops like 12 monkeys (you can't change the past, present, or future everything already happened). bill and ted just use that to their advantage to set up cool tricks because they're bodacious.

star trek is all over the place but usually does the alternate timeline route (changing the past creates a new present) like BTTF. this is how jj trek can fit into canon without undoing everything else (except lol canon who gives a gently caress) bill and ted-esque episodes are the sf storyline with data's head and *maybe* the (other) sf one with freedom-fightin sisko (arguably they changed the present but in a very careful fashion so no one noticed). parallels showed that every possible timeline actually exists in star trek anyway (riker's beard).

upshot is star trek gives very few fucks about consistent time travel rules

i agree though bill and ted are the correct rules (because they're awesome)

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

• Locked thread