Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My gamestop received ONE copy of W101, and nothing more, I asked them recently about it and they haven't ordered any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Someone on neogaf updated the chart with the estimate for some context:

The holiday season is going to be absolutely brutal for the WiiU.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Well, I guess you can't say that Zelda didn't move consoles.

Regarding revising that 9 million number, I imagine they don't feel the need to until the post-holiday period. No need to enter your biggest quarter with a grimace.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Could Nintendo get in trouble for misleading investors if they continue to refuse to revise their estimates? 9 million is.. not realistic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

Could Nintendo get in trouble for misleading investors if they continue to refuse to revise their estimates? 9 million is.. not realistic.

Most companies do not drastically revise their estimates out of the blue even if those estimates turn out to be wrong until such point as they are 100% absolutely sure they're wrong. This happens all the time and is not this exclusive magical Nintendo thing. They may revise it closer to March when they have a solid estimate of what they can revise it to. They are not going to get in trouble for 'misleading investors' because that isn't how it works.

Until Super Mario 3D World is out they have no real way to estimate how bad the damage is going to be because that is their most likely system seller. Nobody actually thinks they're going to hit 9 million at this point but a lot of how badly they're going to do comes down to if SMB3DW manages to sell systems or not.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 18, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I guess unless you can prove they were deliberately lying and not just hilariously overoptimistic you cant prove a case.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
As long as they're providing accurate actual results there's not really any kind of case there. It'd be a lot different if Nintendo never released numbers and just kept providing their forecast estimate figure

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Crowbear posted:

Someone on neogaf updated the chart with the estimate for some context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MAg_yWsq8

:patriot:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The actual sales for W101 are 20k retail +10% on the eShop. Or, as someone in the NPD thread on gaf put it, less than one copy sold per city in the US. Putting it up against a money vacuum that sold more than 7 million copies in the US alone was maybe a bad strategy?

Rayman sold ~half its copies on the Wii U, sadly half its copies is only around 35k.

Wind Waker sold 190,000 between bundles, first 2 days of retail, and about a week of eShop sales. Better than Pikmin did, but not mind blowing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus gently caress those sale numbers are abysmal.

I wonder if Bayo 2 will meet the same fate. :smith:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Alteisen posted:

Jesus gently caress those sale numbers are abysmal.

I don't think it's even a question at this point.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Alteisen posted:

Bayo 2 will be lucky if it doesn't do worse.

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody actually thinks they're going to hit 9 million at this point but a lot of how badly they're going to do comes down to if SMB3DW manages to sell systems or not.

SM3DW release date: November 22, 2013
Playstation 4 release date: November 15, 2013
XBox One release date: November 22, 2013

If the WiiU's last hope is SM3DW, then it's royally hosed.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Crowbear posted:

The actual sales for W101 are 20k retail +10% on the eShop.

Is that 10% a real number, or just based on the announced average for sales on the 3DS?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Astro7x posted:

Is that 10% a real number, or just based on the announced average for sales on the 3DS?

A guy who was shown eShop sales data at the end of September said it was roughly 10%. Same guy said that WW had sold 66k on the eShop at the time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TaurusOxford posted:

SM3DW release date: November 22, 2013
Playstation 4 release date: November 15, 2013
XBox One release date: November 22, 2013

If the WiiU's last hope is SM3DW, then it's royally hosed.

If we're critiquing the WiiU for having an abysmal set of launch titles, you may not want to tout the XBone/PS4. All the big-name games that might sell systems (Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield) are coming out on last-gen/WiiU (not that I think the Wii will be a draw for multiplatforms) up to a month before the other systems release. If they released at the same time I'd say sure, but fanbois aren't gonna wait and while I'm sure games like Dead Rising and Forza will sell systems it's not the kind of rabid consumerism caused by something with Call of Duty in its name.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Bruceski posted:

If we're critiquing the WiiU for having an abysmal set of launch titles, you may not want to tout the XBone/PS4. All the big-name games that might sell systems (Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield)

The difference is that the XB1/PS4 don't need a big new release to sell on launch, they're going to sell anyway. The Wii U needs a big release because it is dead in the loving water.

Nintendo is going to revise the 9m number down when they release the 2Q results end of this month. Or rather that's when they can, I guess that they will.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So the reviews for that new Sonic game are coming in.

They're pretty bad.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Alteisen posted:

They're pretty bad.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-18-sonic-lost-world-review

quote:

Sonic Lost World is at its best when player involvement is at a minimum.

Yikes. Ultimately I don't think it'll matter, but a strong (semi) exclusive game would've been nice.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Than W101? I'm pretty sure it'll do better than W101, it's the sequel to a far more popular game and anecdotally one exciting enough among its fanbase to be the centrepiece of the Wii U's sales pitch for many of them. I think it could provide a small sales bump since its one of the games that anyone cares about.

Than Wind Waker, that's a harder task.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Crowbear posted:

A guy who was shown eShop sales data at the end of September said it was roughly 10%. Same guy said that WW had sold 66k on the eShop at the time.

Well for comparison last time Nintendo issued a press release about eShop sales back in April we learned that 11% of the sales from the 15 retail games at the time came from the eShop. Zelda, Star Fox and even games like Style Savvy: Trendsetters sold about 20%. Fire Emblem was the most at around 33%.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Alteisen posted:

They're pretty bad.
Do we really need reviews to tell us that the new Sonic game is bad at this point?

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

CapnAndy posted:

Do we really need reviews to tell us that the new Sonic game is bad at this point?
Yeah, the last few Sonic games were pretty good.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

CapnAndy posted:

Colors and Generations were legitimately good games.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The_Frag_Man posted:

There's no law against optimism.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The Wii U basically needs to rely on a holiday gamble and consumers actually checking what they can currently get out of the next gen consoles, before making a decision. A lot of the big titles are actually multi-platform, and many of the exclusives won't come till later. But then, people are also aware that these things exist, and even if it ends up arbitrary as to which, said multi-platform titles do draw in a desire to be part of the next gen. Or just the crowd mentality, which is part of Microsoft's very marketing plan - making it into the 'next water cooler' (silly as it sounds), something so common place you just sorta expect one to be around.

I mean, its why they jumped on the DOOM bandwagon back in the day, so its a proven strategy.

...That said, does anyone know if there's like, an average for how Black Friday can/can't affect the pricing on games consoles?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Astro Nut posted:

...That said, does anyone know if there's like, an average for how Black Friday can/can't affect the pricing on games consoles?

For the PS4/XBO/WiiU? Retailers are probably not likely to reduce the cost on it to get you to your store. The Gamestop Black Friday ads leaked and there were not price drops on any of the current generation consoles.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I don't think they've ever done a Black Friday sale on a console right after it came out. Maybe a buy one get one half off on games deal or something. Was there one for the Wii U? I paid no attention to it when it came out.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Astro7x posted:

The Gamestop Black Friday ads leaked and there were not price drops on any of the current generation consoles.
The Xbone part of it didn't even list a price (because they didn't want the dealseekers to know it's $100 more than the PS4)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Colors and Generations gave people hope, that's why Lost World is such a disappointment. It means that the recent good Sonic games were probably flukes.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I don't think they've ever done a Black Friday sale on a console right after it came out. Maybe a buy one get one half off on games deal or something. Was there one for the Wii U? I paid no attention to it when it came out.

When I purchased my 3DS the year it came out during a Black Friday sale, it was full price but it came with a $30 in store credit. But that wasn't at all the norm. You might see some of the larger retailers like Wal-Mart put together their own bundles if Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft aren't doing one.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

EDIT: Wrong thread I am a dumb

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Rangpur posted:

I don't know enough about competitive battling to say whether Malamar is going to be popular, but holy poo poo, this squid is a total rear end in a top hat and it is so much goddamned fun. All the tools you need to mess with your opponent in one small package! Next step: assembling a team of six identical Malamars, all with different movesets and two of each ability.

Malamars will destroy the Wii U

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro Nut posted:

The Wii U basically needs to rely on a holiday gamble and consumers actually checking what they can currently get out of the next gen consoles, before making a decision. A lot of the big titles are actually multi-platform, and many of the exclusives won't come till later. But then, people are also aware that these things exist, and even if it ends up arbitrary as to which, said multi-platform titles do draw in a desire to be part of the next gen.

Never going to happen. The only way the Wii U is going to gain from the XB1/PS4 launches is if they both sell out for Christmas and parents are convinced that their kids want the Wii U instead.

The vast majority of people who are going to buy a console between now and the end of the year have already pre-ordered the console they want, and it isn't a Wii U.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Edmund Honda posted:

Never going to happen. The only way the Wii U is going to gain from the XB1/PS4 launches is if they both sell out for Christmas and parents are convinced that their kids want the Wii U instead.

The vast majority of people who are going to buy a console between now and the end of the year have already pre-ordered the console they want, and it isn't a Wii U.

Most preteen kids do not want a Xbone or PS4. They don't want a WiiU either, but that's besides the point. The vast majority of people who want an Xbox or Playstation teenagers and adults. Kids want iPads, younger kids want a 3DS. No one really wants WiiU.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Sonic has the same reputation as the Wii U. Even if nobody plays it, people will still be convinced it's bad.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Most preteen kids do not want a Xbone or PS4. They don't want a WiiU either, but that's besides the point. The vast majority of people who want an Xbox or Playstation teenagers and adults. Kids want iPads, younger kids want a 3DS. No one really wants WiiU.

I highly doubt that, based on occasional discussion with family members and coworkers. Its more that they won't be getting one because modern day consoles are so expensive. Its hard to justify those costs just to let your eight year old play video games when everything else under the sun plays video games too.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Maybe the Wii U will gain from the PS4 and XBox One launches when people realize the Wii U has good exclusive games and the PS4 and XBox One have nothing but last-gen ports and that's it but I don't think people are that observant. I don't even see the promise of any good games on those systems at this point unless I'm really missing something but everyone is still throwing a fit over them anyway because Crosshair Aimer Version 7 Million has a higher resolution.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

whaley posted:

Gun Shooter Version 7 million has a higher resolution.

As opposed to New Super Mario Bros 6?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Spiffo posted:

As opposed to New Super Mario Bros 6?

When did the last 3D Mario come out, like three years ago? The frequency is way less than the multi-platform spanning endlessly cloned Grown Men With Guns game that has had like 90 different variations come out every year for over half a decade now. I mean really what do you get on the new systems that wasn't already coming out? A free to play Killer Instinct by a random developer and the mediocre series Killzone? I guess Infamous is fairly unique.

whaley fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

whaley posted:

Maybe the Wii U will gain from the PS4 and XBox One launches when people realize the Wii U has good exclusive games and the PS4 and XBox One have nothing but last-gen ports and that's it but I don't think people are that observant. I don't even see the promise of any good games on those systems at this point unless I'm really missing something but everyone is still throwing a fit over them anyway because Crosshair Aimer Version 7 Million has a higher resolution.

As opposed to the WiiU which can't even get full ports of current-gen games? You seriously think the WiiU is going to do BETTER when it has to compete with four consoles as opposed to just two?

• Locked thread