Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Yo that fishing chain thing pays off, after approximately 26 encounters I just ran into a shiny Clauncher. Now to catch this little red guy.

edit: Shoutouts to dust.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is SP training retroactive (I can do it anytime and still benefit from it) or should I be doing it at low levels if possible?

It doesn't matter at all when you do Training, you'll always get the same stat bonuses from it, but I try to do it as soon as I catch or hatch a pokemon so that it doesn't get EVs I don't want from battle, which take more effort to get rid of.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I've never dabbled in multiplayer, but my local board game store is holding a Nintendo Streetpass event this Saturday, and the only tournament game I actually own is Pokemon.

Could anyone suggest a viable team I could cobble together in 20 or so hours this week? I've read up on competitive team synergy as much as I can, but I don't think I can get my head around it without just diving in first with a pre-made team, and experiencing all the interactions first-hand.

Also, taking naming suggestions for the six glorious members of Team Whatever The First Reply Tells Me To Play

Store's Website posted:

Competition Rules

- Tournament Format
- 1 on 1 battles
- Normal Rules
- No Legendary Pokemon allowed

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
I had a fishing chain of 56 and got nothing. I did get a shiny octillery on GTS though.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Am I alone in thinking anyone who does streetpass battles with a competetive team is kind of a dick? I mean I thought that's what Battle Spot was for, and streetpass was more for friendly matches of people battling their single player teams. That's what I use it for anyway. I hate the competetive scene.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Radical posted:

Believed to be currently unobtainable (unevolved form):

~snip~

"There is still a chance some of these might be in the Safari, so there may be mistakes."

That's the same list Serebii had when I looked yesterday, or at least the same number of non-starter non-legendary families. And Phione, but Phione is weird.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Meis posted:

Am I alone in thinking anyone who does streetpass battles with a competetive team is kind of a dick? I mean I thought that's what Battle Spot was for, and streetpass was more for friendly matches of people battling their single player teams. That's what I use it for anyway. I hate the competetive scene.

What if my singleplayer team is also competitive? If you're online and turn human in Dark Souls you can't really complain when someone invades to kill you. Same thing with battles.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If somebody issues a challenge to me with a Mewtwo and an Yveltal, you bet your rear end I'm going to bring out my multiplayer team and teach them some respect.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Meis posted:

I've had two random requests for battle so far. Both of them seemed like somewhat competitive teams with MegaPokemon. I only lost the second match because I was still raising my Pumkaboo and Noibat. Pumkaboo did take out Lucario with Flame Charge though. she's a good little pumpkin. :)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Did they ever say what O even stands for? :raise:

I don't know but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with learning new O-Powers by meeting an older man in hotels for a fade to black.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't know but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with learning new O-Powers by meeting an older man in hotels for a fade to black.

I'd wager it stands for Online.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

If somebody issues a challenge to me with a Mewtwo and an Yveltal, you bet your rear end I'm going to bring out my multiplayer team and teach them some respect.

You can't tell what team someone is using until you've already chosen yours though.. I dunno I just get the feel that it's a bit cheap to use a IV-bred, EV-trained team against random people. I guess it's my fault for finding multiplayer battles fun but building good teams too much hard work. I also think I just got put in a bad mood by spikes + stealth rock happening and the enemy constantly swapping pokemon but not letting me do the same, grr. I am aware the metagame is full of entry hazards, and if I was gonna build a team it'd have rapid spin, but I'm not going to carry a rapid spinner with me throughout the main game when the AI never uses that tactic so it's a waste of a move slot. I don't have anything against people who are into the competetive scene, the only reason I said I hate it is because it's all metagame and a very narrow amount of builds are used. Just doesn't seem as fun to me!

Nessa posted:

I've had two random requests for battle so far. Both of them seemed like somewhat competitive teams with MegaPokemon. I only lost the second match because I was still raising my Pumkaboo and Noibat. Pumkaboo did take out Lucario with Flame Charge though. she's a good little pumpkin. :)

Gourgeist is probably my favourite pokémon now. Trick-or-treat and Phantom Force combo so well, especially when leech seed is sapping away at their health at the same time!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Meis posted:

I don't have anything against people who are into the competetive scene, the only reason I said I hate it is because it's all metagame and a very narrow amount of builds are used. Just doesn't seem as fun to me!

It will probably take a while for the metagame to become as narrow and myopic as it was at the end of generation 5. However, there's far more room for creativity in doubles than in singles, to say nothing of rotation, and Smogon apparently doesn't care about those formats. It's their loss, really.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Bongo Bill posted:

It will probably take a while for the metagame to become as narrow and myopic as it was at the end of generation 5. However, there's far more room for creativity in doubles than in singles, to say nothing of rotation, and Smogon apparently doesn't care about those formats. It's their loss, really.

Baton Passing, Swords Dancing, ridiculously overpowered Adamant physical sweepers or nothing! (or whatever the current team build looks like)

My favorite way to setup teams is with hilariously terrible comedy builds of all one type or some other theme.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bongo Bill posted:

Singles has plenty of diversity. Just because there's only 2-4 builds listed for most pokemon (per tier) on their site doesn't mean that's what you're stuck using if you want to do well. :\

Lots of pokemon is making unexpected moves that aren't entirely random, and if you just netdeck your entire team you can't do that particularly well. That poo poo is guidelines, nothing more.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Looks like it's time to get my fishing on then. Pokemon fishing needs terrible puns. Actually, that makes me think. Is there a Pokemon that looks like a Sea Bass?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bongo Bill posted:

Smogon set up an official doubles metagame at the end of Generation V.

The extreme centralization in OU at the end of last generation wasn't really the result of limited creativity, it was caused by a couple of extremely overpowered threats (Keldeo and pre-ban Landorus-I) forcing the use of Celebi and Latias, which in turn boosted Tyranitar and Scizor. So you saw a LOT of teams that picked six from Keldeo, Landorus, Landorus-T, Celebi, Latias, Tyranitar, Scizor, Terrakion, Dragonite, and Heatran.

It was still possible to run anti-metagame sets. Mamoswine and Hydreigon, for instance, poo poo all over all of these Pokémon with the appropriate move. However, even those Pokémon were best used in tandem with five of the favorites.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 21, 2013

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe things will be shaken up a bit now that gen 6 has come along. Now that EV training is a lot more accessible, maybe I should give building a competetive team another shot. If I go in expecting to lose a lot, it should be fun if nothing else! Especially because I'm probably going to go with gimmick teams anyway. Ghost Dream Team, it will soon be your day...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Doubles just seem a lot more fun to me. A lot of moves and abilities have diminished use in the single battle format. Doubles has you thinking a lot more about how pokemon interact, both on the enemy team and your own.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Meis posted:

Gourgeist is probably my favourite pokémon now. Trick-or-treat and Phantom Force combo so well, especially when leech seed is sapping away at their health at the same time!

My Jaqueline is running with Flame Charge, Razor Leaf, Shadow Sneak and Trick or Treat. I'll give her Seed Bomb as well and I'm not yet sure what I'll replace Trick or Treat with.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 21, 2013

BlankPage
Jan 11, 2004

Goodnight Ponds.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Well, it's bonding time! [fade to black and return with a new O-Power]

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Nessa posted:

My Jaqueline is running with Flame Charge, Razor Leaf, Shadow Sneak and Trick or Treat. I'll give her seed bond as well and I'm not yet sure what I'll replace Trick or Treat with.

Do yourself a favour, and go to the move relearner and learn Phantom Force. I'm pretty sure this can be done at any level to a gourgeist.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
Is there any chance a patch will come out to fix the framerate issues? Trying to do rotation battles online when there's fps drops, attack animations on and latency is bordering on unbearable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Meis posted:

Do yourself a favour, and go to the move relearner and learn Phantom Force. I'm pretty sure this can be done at any level to a gourgeist.

Yup. A lot of pokemon can learn really strong moves from the relearner that they would otherwise only get at high levels. Mawlie goes from having no good STAB moves to being able to pull out both Play Rough and Iron Head. Noivern gets access to Dragon Pulse and Boom Burst.

Can you find the power up gems in this game? I think giving my Noivern one for my Boomburst opening with work well but I haven't seen any of them.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Finally got my first shiny (in x/y)! It's a Ralts and that's rad. Hatched it not using the masuda method surprisingly enough.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 21, 2013

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FauxGateau posted:

Finally got my first shiny (in x/y)! It's a Ralts and that's rad. Hatched it not using the masuda method surprisingly enough.

My tables! Not a great nature, but at least it's somewhat beneficial. You're dropping the only wholly useless stat to bolster their worst defense.

The only shiny I've gotten was a Zubat in Platinum. :(

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elysiume posted:

The only shiny I've gotten was a Zubat in Platinum. :(

My only other shiny was also a zubat... Hmm makes a sick Crobat though.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
My berry nerd quest continues. I now have Babiri, Colbur, Payapa, Rindo and Wiki berries from taking Quacklin' out for battles.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Speaking of shiny Zubats, I caught a shiny Zubat yesterday - my first shiny in over a decade. His IVs are absolute garbage but I don't caaaaaaare

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Doubles just seem a lot more fun to me. A lot of moves and abilities have diminished use in the single battle format. Doubles has you thinking a lot more about how pokemon interact, both on the enemy team and your own.

I mean in doubles there has been a use for Skitty/Delcatty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyRLBrB8Jrc

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Am I pretty much right in considering the Battle Chateau to be a bottomless fountain of money? I got to there yesterday, and have just been raking in dough doing fight after fight after fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If a pokemon holds a lucky egg but doesn't participate in battle, do they still get boosted exp from the exp share?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

If a pokemon holds a lucky egg but doesn't participate in battle, do they still get boosted exp from the exp share?

Yes, every Pokemon I've given the lucky egg has been leveling like crazy regardless of being in battle or not.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

5er posted:

Am I pretty much right in considering the Battle Chateau to be a bottomless fountain of money? I got to there yesterday, and have just been raking in dough doing fight after fight after fight.

Yes. Though it should be mentioned that restaurant battles in Luminose City are equally as good if not better (specifically the 3 star) if you use the Amulet Coin and the $$$ O-power. That said, the Chateau is certainly more accessible.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Kikas posted:

Yes, every Pokemon I've given the lucky egg has been leveling like crazy regardless of being in battle or not.

So does the traded bonus. And they stack. This means some foreigner's egg eating Geodude that doesn't fight will get more EXP than your hard caught pokemen that do all the work.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
e: nm

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Wonder trade is awesome! I'm almost having more fun with trading Japanese Bidoofs to Japanese Bidoofs and trading them for more Japanese Bidoofs than I'm having with the actual game!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I didn't get one shiny throughout the entire game, screw you guys :(

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama

Kikas posted:

I mean in doubles there has been a use for Skitty/Delcatty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyRLBrB8Jrc

Hahahaha. That's brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So would that chain fishing method someone mentioned last page work with barboach/whicash? I normally don't care about shinies at all, but if I could catch a blood red Whiscash and name it Armok all my dreams would come true.

• Locked thread