Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bill Barnwell dropped a totally unnecessary Q and Not U reference in a column last week and I don't know if it was great or just stupid. Which is how I feel about Simmonsian writing in general.

I saw that and I specifically remembered reading it, which I guess is the point, but I still don't know how I feel about Soft Pyramids as they relate to football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
because like football they evaporate at daylight probably

anime sarah palin
Oct 12, 2013

by Pipski

AAA DOLFAN posted:

And a certain number of Seminole Indians get scholarships to FSU every year. You can rag on FSU for a lot of stuff but certainly not the Seminole stuff

Indians?

I wasn't aware that there were any Seminole living in India. Nice to know they get a piece of FSU jersey sales in Mumbai.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Haven't official Seminole leaders actually come out in support of FSU using their name though? Like that's why Chief Osceola is still a thing in the first place.

Yes. It's not perfect, but at least Florida State asked permission and their name isn't a racial slur. I wouldn't have a problem with names that weren't literally racial slurs.

anime sarah palin fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 21, 2013

Mad Mafioso
Jan 13, 2009

anime sarah palin posted:

Indians?

I wasn't aware that there were any Seminole living in India. Nice to know they get a piece of FSU jersey sales in Mumbai.

Indian is an acceptable term. "Native American," is just as inaccurate if you want to be that way.

anime sarah palin
Oct 12, 2013

by Pipski

Mad Mafioso posted:

Indian is an acceptable term. "Native American," is just as inaccurate if you want to be that way.

No. It's not. Indians live in India. Unless you are referring to people who live in India, it's not an acceptable term.

It is at best inaccurate, and at worst offensive. Some dumbass from Italy got lost and thought we were Indians. That doesn't mean we actually are. The best term is just to refer to us as the nation or people we belong to. Failing that, Native American works. If you really want to be autistic about it, go ahead and say indigenous.

Mad Mafioso
Jan 13, 2009

No. It's not. Indians live in India. Unless you are referring to people who live in India, it's not an acceptable term.

It is at best inaccurate, and at worst offensive. Some dumbass from Italy got lost and thought we were Indians. That doesn't mean we actually are. The best term is just to refer to us as the nation or people we belong to. Failing that, Native American works. If you really want to be autistic about it, go ahead and say indigenous.

So, you're a Redskins fan?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>shut up

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Well that's an interesting tangent to go on. I apologize, I was unaware I was offending you.

I appreciate the direct "passive aggressive child" approach at correcting me though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Let's all be sure to tell the American Indian Movement they've got things all wrong.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Let's all be sure to tell the American Indian Movement they've got things all wrong.

NAACP has "colored" in it, but I still don't call black men colored.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chichevache posted:

NAACP has "colored" in it, but I still don't call black men colored.

The difference is that the AIM fights to be called Indians on the basis that they think it's less offensive then being referred to as "Native American" because they feel being referred to as a title with the word "American" in it is pretty offensive considering Americans tried to commit genocide and took their land.

Nobody in the NAACP is making that argument, or anything resembling it.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The Onion ends the debate once and for all http://www.theonion.com/articles/re...eview:1:Default

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
E: nevermind

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 21, 2013

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Rap posted:

The Onion ends the debate once and for all http://www.theonion.com/articles/re...eview:1:Default

:stare: well then.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Rap posted:

Yeah, I'm in the :stare: camp, too. Goddamn what a headline.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
I think Rick Reilly may literally a goblin.

I would say he is very unfortunate looking, but I think it's just his personality making him look like a kobold.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Seminoles aren't even strictly Native Americans anyhow. It's not a nation.

It's some Creek and some others and some runaway slaves and I'm pretty sure some Spanish Floridians that really didn't like England owning Florida.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
How long until The Onion deletes that

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chris Gaines posted:

How long until The Onion deletes that

The Onion has only ever deleted one thing ever and it was way worse than that

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The premise of the joke is that it's offensive ethnic slurs so barring mass outrage or something they won't. Only thing they've deleted in recent memory is that tweet about the child actress being a oval office or something, which was at best barely a joke.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

pangstrom posted:

The premise of the joke is that it's offensive ethnic slurs so barring mass outrage or something they won't.
I'm aware of the premise of the joke, but man the slur they use is almost on par with the n-word.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Chris Gaines posted:

I'm aware of the premise of the joke, but man the slur they use is almost on par with the n-word.

You know what else is a slur on par with the n-word?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Owned

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Onion has only ever deleted one thing ever and it was way worse than that

What was that?

Also, the Onion publishes stuff like that and way worse than that routinely.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

swickles posted:

What was that?

Also, the Onion publishes stuff like that and way worse than that routinely.

They called a child actress a oval office in what was clearly a misfired joke that went too far on the edgy side and everyone flipped their poo poo about it, because it's still hosed up to call an 11 year old girl a oval office even if you're joking

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

They called a child actress a oval office in what was clearly a misfired joke that went too far on the edgy side and everyone flipped their poo poo about it, because it's still hosed up to call an 11 year old girl a oval office even if you're joking

They also changed the "Bill Belichick finds new and interesting ways to cut people" with a picture of the lake Marquise Hill drowned in."

That said, why would they change this one?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

Wasn't that their Twitter, not a story?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DangerKat posted:

Wasn't that their Twitter, not a story?

It was but that's the only thing The Onion's ever backed down on to my knowledge.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Chris Gaines posted:

And it's a joke that illustrates the point that "forbidden" words shouldn't exist. It's a perfect use of the slur and anyone who protests it is literally protesting the concept of letters being put together in a combination they don't like. You have to 100% ignore the context to be offended.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

And it's a joke that illustrates the point that "forbidden" words shouldn't exist.

I have never seen someone miss the point so profoundly

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Go on.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

And it's a joke that illustrates the point that "forbidden" words shouldn't exist. It's a perfect use of the slur and anyone who protests it is literally protesting the concept of letters being put together in a combination they don't like. You have to 100% ignore the context to be offended.

Whoaaaaaa mind blown

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It did make me laugh though, if it was a troll

Props Department
Jul 10, 2007

creamed corn & confucius
It's making the joke that "kike" which is shocking and offensive to see printed anywhere is as heinous a slur as "redskins" is. If you took it to mean that no one should be offended by either word there is no hope for you

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

Whoaaaaaa mind blown

Oh for gently caress sake, I wasn't trying to say anything profound. I was referring to prominent people saying that some words shouldn't be used because they are so offensive. The point is that the word isn't offensive, it's the context, yet we still have seemingly intelligent people actually proposing that there isn't any context for them.

"Redskins" is offensive if it's used in the context of a loving professional football team. On the other hand, if Mel Brooks uses it (and friend of the family for that matter) in Blazing Saddles, it's making a point, not degrading the subject of the slur.

Dank Fishbong
Jan 17, 2013

by XyloJW
I wouldn't want Mel Brooks to say kike though

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Props Department posted:

It's making the joke that "kike" which is shocking and offensive to see printed anywhere is as heinous a slur as "redskins" is. If you took it to mean that no one should be offended by either word there is no hope for you

See above. And holy poo poo, I'm the one that missed the point?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Peter King is a brownnosing access-seeking piece of poo poo

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Oh for gently caress sake, I wasn't trying to say anything profound. I was referring to prominent people saying that some words shouldn't be used because they are so offensive. The point is that the word isn't offensive, it's the context, yet we still have seemingly intelligent people actually proposing that there isn't any context for them.

"Redskins" is offensive if it's used in the context of a loving professional football team. On the other hand, if Mel Brooks uses it (and friend of the family for that matter) in Blazing Saddles, it's making a point, not degrading the subject of the slur.

No that is profound, don't sell yourself short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Guys.

Sticks and stones.

Y'know what I mean?

• Locked thread