Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DJExile posted:

I've got the 20mm and the body cap lens right now along with the 45mm. I've been looking at the 35-100 and some of the other long-reach zooms. This system spoils you for choices, jesus.

I really really want that 12-40mm that's coming out soon.

Serious talk, I've got a 60mm macro that I just don't use that much that I've been thinking about selling. Barely touched it since it got service by olympus over the summer, so if you want I can make a post in the appropriate thread with the appropriate pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

keyframe posted:

What do people mean when they say this? I have seen this mentioned elsewhere as well. I shot thousands of shots with the x100 and never noticed anything out of the ordinary (other than loving amazing ISO performance).

x100 doesn't have an x-trans sensor. It only got one with the s revision.

The difference between the x100 and x100s is a bit less than a stop, and a bit of sharpness that you probably wouldn't ever notice in the real world.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

BrosephofArimathea posted:

The difference between the x100 and x100s is a bit less than a stop, and a bit of sharpness that you probably wouldn't ever notice in the real world.

Honestly I prefer the old x100 sensor to the xtrans. I love the hell out of my x100.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Speaking of which, I have been eyeing a used x100 in a shop near my work that sells for roughly $460.
The viewfinder glass has a tiny chip in it but otherwise it's mint-y. One thing that put me off was the general MF performance, I mean come on it took like 2/3rds of a second to jump between the relatively coarse steps of focus. Is this really that much improved with v2.0?

Would you recommend getting one at that price?
(Disclaimer I already have a D7000 and a EP2 that mostly collect dust.)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

VomitOnLino posted:

Speaking of which, I have been eyeing a used x100 in a shop near my work that sells for roughly $460.
The viewfinder glass has a tiny chip in it but otherwise it's mint-y. One thing that put me off was the general MF performance, I mean come on it took like 2/3rds of a second to jump between the relatively coarse steps of focus. Is this really that much improved with v2.0?

If you can deal with the chip, that is a good price. Manual focus is totally useable now with 2.0. I would check the serial, though, and avoid serials with confirmed sticky aperture issues.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

rio posted:

Honestly I prefer the old x100 sensor to the xtrans. I love the hell out of my x100.

Same. I was going to replace mine with the x100s, purely for AF reasons, but after the latest firmware I pretty much decided it wasn't worth it.

VomitOnLino posted:

Hells yes. As long as you are fine with the chip and it isn't one with the sticky aperture (mine had to go into Fuji after ~9mnths for that). It's a brilliant little camera.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Low light performance is far, far better in the X100s, 6400 on the X100s is much cleaner than 3200 on the X100.

rio posted:

Yeah, I see the photos from my old X100 from the guy I sold it to, and sometimes I feel regret for selling it. Mainly from the colour rendering.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea I regret selling my x100 as well.:(

I think I am pretty set on the xe-2 and the 35mm f1.4 right now.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rio posted:

Agree with you for day time, but Xtran has much better dynamic range in the evening.

I don't mean high ISO shots, I mean all photos taken in weak light.

If you go to fujirumors.com, there is a recent guest post that went on very in depth comparison between the xtran sensor (xm1) and the traditional bayer sensor (xa1). Xtran does give higher resolution.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DJExile posted:

I really really want that 12-40mm that's coming out soon.

If that lens has macro anything close to the 12-50 I don't think you'll need a dedicated macro lens.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

While we're talking Fuji -- are there any better third-party hoods and caps for the 35mm 1.4? The hood itself I can deal with, but that loving rubber cap is beyond terrible.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Just put the regular lens cap on through the hood :shrug:

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Tried that. Doesn't work. The 35mm hood is rectangular, so even if you can get it on with the cap attached -- which I'm pretty sure you can -- you can't then take off the lens cap without removing the hood first.

(Compare this to the Panasonic 25mm hood, which is also rectangular, but at least has full clearance for the cap to go in and out easily. I think I've been spoilt).

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The X-E1 is probably my favorite digital camera, possibly one of my favorite cameras period. The tangibility of the whole experience is fantastic and it’s just a joy to use. Yeah, the sensor is great, but I just love the way it feels.

I haven’t been this excited about photography since I bought my first digital camera when I was a teenager. It was also a fuji.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Baron Dirigible posted:

While we're talking Fuji -- are there any better third-party hoods and caps for the 35mm 1.4? The hood itself I can deal with, but that loving rubber cap is beyond terrible.

Simple - thread-in style:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Metal-Curved-vented-Lens-Hood-58mm-Filter-Thread-Lens-/180920207951

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Looking at my X100 files, XE1 files and D700/300/600/800 files, The XE1 files hands down look more pleasing to me at the end of my day.

At middle ground ISO the Cisgender Trans sensor just seems to display noise much more pleasing and in the high iso, again its much more pleasing to look at.

Wonder how the A7 will do against a Nikon FM2 style full frame camera thats on the horizon?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Musket posted:

Looking at my X100 files, XE1 files and D700/300/600/800 files, The XE1 files hands down look more pleasing to me at the end of my day.

At middle ground ISO the Cisgender Trans sensor just seems to display noise much more pleasing and in the high iso, again its much more pleasing to look at.

Wonder how the A7 will do against a Nikon FM2 style full frame camera thats on the horizon?

I agree with you on the raw look of x-trans. It has a very distinct look and tone that is pleasing. I am finding that most contemporary bayer CMOS sensors produce very similar results: Leica M240, Nikon D600, D800, D300s, etc.. Maybe Canon is different? I don't have any experience with their stuff, so I can't say. I will say that with all the Nikons and Leica a bump in sharpening and clarity is almost always needed. That isn't the case with X-trans raw files. Actually, the only other raw files that were as pleasing right out of the camera were M9 DNGs, but that was a CCD Kodak sensor.

My gut says that the A7/r is going to be largely the same as what's out there right now. Don't expect any showstoppers, cause they're probably the same sensors (or derivations thereof) that have been with us for 1+ years.

Is there some technicality that prevents Nikon from making a full frame mirrorless that uses existing F-mount, or are they just afraid of cannibalization?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

krooj posted:

I agree with you on the raw look of x-trans. It has a very distinct look and tone that is pleasing. I am finding that most contemporary bayer CMOS sensors produce very similar results: Leica M240, Nikon D600, D800, D300s, etc.. Maybe Canon is different? I don't have any experience with their stuff, so I can't say. I will say that with all the Nikons and Leica a bump in sharpening and clarity is almost always needed. That isn't the case with X-trans raw files. Actually, the only other raw files that were as pleasing right out of the camera were M9 DNGs, but that was a CCD Kodak sensor.

My gut says that the A7/r is going to be largely the same as what's out there right now. Don't expect any showstoppers, cause they're probably the same sensors (or derivations thereof) that have been with us for 1+ years.

Is there some technicality that prevents Nikon from making a full frame mirrorless that uses existing F-mount, or are they just afraid of cannibalization?

The lens registry distance is what will keep Nikon from making a fully mirrorless FX camera. Nikon is so focused on ensuring that most of their lens catalog functions in some way on their digital bodies, that I can see them sticking to having mirror boxes for their "throwback" body styles. So far the rumors place that FM2 rumor as a Hybrid VF. Could be translucent mirror possibly or some new thing they put to patent long ago. I dont think Nikon is too worried about cannibalization of its current line up. I think that the popularity of Fuji and Olympus style bodies finally caught someones attention at Nikon. I know that I at one time or another lusted after a FM2 digital body or a Nikon S2 digital body. If one wants an F5 digital body, buy a D4. I would love a FM2 digital body or F3HP digital body. Perfect size and body style imo.

I totally agree with you about how amazing the Xtrans sernsor is. The only A7 Im willing to buy is whatever abortion Hasselbad decides to muck up with rare wood grips and man made jewel accents :snoop:

As far as Canon compared to RAF files, the few ive taken on a 5d2 are nice but didnt stack up to how pleasing the RAF was. Granted the RAF file takes a bit more work sometimes but at the end of the day the final results are usually much better from the RAF than the CR2/NEF. Honestly, Id take Fuji XE1 Jpgs over D600 NEF files. D600 JPG was just utter trash compared to the XE1 in-camera JPG engine. Im not sure what form of moonvoodoo they put in the Fuji JPG processing, but its drat hard to beat OOC jpgs from Fuji.

I totally remember my import presets for NEF files had + sharpening + clarity because man those things came out pretty lacking in both areas. Sure i get that its a raw file and all but man they really did need a push on both of those settings compared to RAF files.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

DJExile posted:

I have nothing to add to your comments but for the record, your username owns.

m4/3 peoples, 60mm f/2.8 macro or go the whole hog and get the 75mm f/1.8?

I have both, I've started to use the 60 more for portrait work because I don't do much macro. I like it, but it does focus slower ever with the limiter on in my opinion. The 75 has almost too much reach for portrait work but does have great IQ and has come in handy shooting some sports in crappy lighting without having to crank the iso too high.

Here's a shot of my newborn daughter with the 60. It really does let you pick up every single hair and detail if you want it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Awwwwwwwwwwww :kiddo:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Baron Dirigible posted:

Tried that. Doesn't work. The 35mm hood is rectangular, so even if you can get it on with the cap attached -- which I'm pretty sure you can -- you can't then take off the lens cap without removing the hood first.

I can do it fine. It's slightly awkward but totally doable.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Had no idea that that FM2 rumor was a thing. They'd have to cock up pretty bad for me not to switch back from MFT.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Startyde posted:

Had no idea that that FM2 rumor was a thing. They'd have to cock up pretty bad for me not to switch back from MFT.

Ohhh, let me guess something they might cock up: Has Nikon ever done anything with focus peaking?

Edit: Or, you know, this.

thetzar fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 21, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This tidbit can only mean one thing, its not going to be cheap. I am guessing A7R level.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

whatever7 posted:

This tidbit can only mean one thing, its not going to be cheap. I am guessing A7R level.

Im gonna guess between D610 price and the D700 when it was new price (just under 2k). I doubt they wanna focus on a price level that would eat into D4/D800 territory but is a lucrative option for D600 users looking for something less expensive in an attractive body Or for that Dxxxx user to move up into and bypass the Dxxx bodies.

Honestly this would be nice if this was the D400 coffin nail. D7100 is pro enough to be called a DX flagship.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
So it's a DSLR in every way except without a comfortable grip. No thanks.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Costello Jello posted:

When I compare my D800 to my Minolta SRT-101, the Minolta feels small, compact, and rugged. It's not exactly light, but it's handleable. I'd give my eyeteeth for a DSLR like that.

thetzar fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 21, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It seems like a love/hate idea for sure. I'm not sure I understand the "hate" side, particularly in the mirrorless thread. Like this:

Costello Jello posted:

This is the thread about small, light cameras that are basically just like DSLRs in every way, many of which lack a grip, right?

Frankly modern DSLR size got really out of hand for a while there. My old Canon 40D was right around double the size of any camera I owned that wasn't medium or large format. Many of the high end pro bodies are fully as big as actual medium format cameras. A D3X is 2,191 cm^3, a Hasselblad 500cm is 1,927 cm^3. And that's before a grip or anything like that of course.

I mean, you don't have to buy it, but I really think you're over-exaggerating how much size actually matters. As long as you have actual physical controls to push instead of a gigantic pile of joysticks and scrollwheels and touchscreens it doesn't really matter all that much. I can assure you that its miniscule size does not dampen this forum's enjoyment of the classic Pentax ME one iota.

The big question is what it will cost and what you get versus its competitors. I could see this taking a bite out of the A7's hoopla, although it won't do for people who want to adapt things other than Nikon.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 21, 2013

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I can assure you that its miniscule size does not dampen this forum's enjoyment of the classic Pentax ME one iota.

Hah, I was just about to post about how small my Super feels compared even to my K-01. I mean, it's heavier, but it's also all-metal so it feels more satisfying to hold (if that makes any sense).

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

whatever7 posted:

I don't know about you, I can't afford to have quality film processing anymore.

PS FM2n is where the money is.

I just want to remind people I wrote this last Friday. Nikon obviously listen to me and decided to make a digital FM2n.

And the argument of superior classic MF camera has settled.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is the thread about small, light cameras that are basically just like DSLRs in every way, many of which lack a grip, right?

The NEXs have a grip, and it's only some of the m4/3 cameras that lack a substantial grip. They also weigh less than half of the Nikon FM2, with an even greater weight savings in the lenses. That said, I still wouldn't buy a m4/3 camera without a grip (or at least good add-ons).

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean, you don't have to buy it, but I really think you're over-exaggerating how much size actually matters.

I never said anything about camera size.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

David Pratt posted:

I can do it fine. It's slightly awkward but totally doable.

I agree, it's a little fiddly but after a while it's easy enough.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Apparently Nikon is announcing a small full frame camera tomorrow. This is a terrible time to buy a camera because it's loving hard to decide :(

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It's hard to have faith in Nikon or Canon doing anything wildly innovative because they're so fixated on protecting their DSLR sales.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

keyframe posted:

Apparently Nikon is announcing a small full frame camera tomorrow. This is a terrible time to buy a camera because it's loving hard to decide :(

The rumor mill is currently pointing to a announcement in two weeks, instead of at PhotoPlus which is about to happen.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I have a feeling the Nikon will be using the current DSLR mount, which means it won't be as small or versatile as the A7.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And nobody will give a poo poo!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

RustedChrome posted:

I have a feeling the Nikon will be using the current DSLR mount, which means it won't be as small or versatile as the A7.

The issue with a full-frame mirrorless will always be the same issue, regardless of manufacturer:

It doesn't matter how small your camera bodies are. If your lens has to project a full-frame image circle, your lenses are going to be big as hell. And that disparity of big lens vs. small body will always lead to trouble for the end user.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

bobfather posted:

The issue with a full-frame mirrorless will always be the same issue, regardless of manufacturer:

It doesn't matter how small your camera bodies are. If your lens has to project a full-frame image circle, your lenses are going to be big as hell. And that disparity of big lens vs. small body will always lead to trouble for the end user.

I have plenty of full frame lenses that are quite compact, they just lack autofocus. My point being that, if Nikon uses their DSLR lens mount, I won't have the option of using so much legacy glass on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like how Sony has been hinting and winking about FF NEX camera since maybe 18 months ago, and Nikon has been completely silent about the retro DSLR until right after A7 announcement. And it doesn't use Sony sensor to booth. Nikon has moved all its APSC camera away from Sony sensor. I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon stop using Sony sensor completely in the next generation of FF bodies`.

RustedChrome posted:

I have plenty of full frame lenses that are quite compact, they just lack autofocus. My point being that, if Nikon uses their DSLR lens mount, I won't have the option of using so much legacy glass on it.

You MF lens will cast massy red shift and dark corners on the Sony bodies anyway, if its 28mm or wider.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 23, 2013