Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

NinjaPablo posted:

In Magic, there is a card called Hive Mind, which basically says 'Whenever anyone casts a spell, everyone else must cast a free copy of that spell also'. In casual games, this card will usually stick around because it can make things silly or 'more fun'.

With Hive Mind in play though, you can really start pissing some people off with a card called Scrambleverse, which states that for every non-land card in play, you have to flip a coin, and whoever wins the coin toss gains control of that card. Since the casting cost on Scrambleverse is so high, there's likely to be 20 or so cards in play that you're going to have to flip for. And since everyone 'must' cast a copy of it, everyone has to do it multiple times.

You could also pair Hive Mind with Shahrazad, which requires everyone to set the current game of Magic aside, grab what remains of their deck, and play a subgame of Magic, with the loser losing half their life total in the main Magic game.

In addition to that, there's the Pacts, which are a series of spells that are free when you play them, but require you to pay the cost at the beginning of your next turn or lose. Because you untap all your lands (refill your resources) before paying this cost, it's convenient when you have an effect that you need right now and might not have the mana for. When everyone must play a copy of the spell though, you just cast a pact that only you have the resources to pay for. Because there's one in every color, unless everyone's playing 5 color magic, you probably have at least one for each player that can't be paid. Do it during your turn, and every player has to pay their costs before your turn comes up. Hell, you don't even have to be able to pay for the spell if everyone else is dead before you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

We've moved onto board game griefs? I've got a great one here.

I was at a gaming convention playing Pirate's Cove. It was a pretty big game about a decade ago but it's fallen out of popularity. Each player is a pirate and you go around gathering treasure and fighting each other. It's a pretty lightweight game but fun if you're in the mood to goof around.

So at this table there were a bunch of us and the runaway leader in the game was the kind of guy who is exactly the worst person to play a game with at a convention. Unpleasant personality and took the game way too seriously. As the game was moving into the final stages he was saying, "It's impossible for me to lose now," but I could see a few ways that would throw the game to a different player.

I took the kid playing next to me under my wing and pointed out to him that if he got his pirate an upgrade and then intercepted that it was just possible for him to win the game. The kid took my advice to heart and as we entered the final turns the leader was getting pounded on by the two of us. "You can't do that!" he cried as his ship sunk and the kid took his treasure throwing a small hissy fit.

High fives all around for taking down the big bully. Then I said, "I'm blowing up your cannons," and sank the kid who had been my ally until that moment.

"Why'd you do that?" he asked.

"Because I'm a pirate." :pirate:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tyrannosaurus posted:

You will lose Arkham Horror nine times out of ten if you don't cooperate. Hell, the only reason my group started playing was because it wasn't player versus player but rather all the players against the board.

One of our regulars is such a wretched sport that he refuses to play competitive games out of fear of losing friendships. Really great guy otherwise. He just happens to be like, maybe, the absolute worst sport I have ever seen. Competitive games? Huge rear end in a top hat. Cooperative? He's super nice, all about teamwork, never gets down on other players, is always encouraging, etc etc.

Yea the idea of griefing in Arkham is just baffling to me. I've played with five or six different groups and every single time it really devolves into a game of solitaire. There's only one win/lose condition, and it doesn't even particularly matter if you die, so you just let the smartest person make all the decisions and everybody else just rolls die with no investment in their own individual progress. Griefing Arkham would be like "griefing dinner" or something, it's just generically being an rear end in a top hat. Arkham's on my "gently caress it, not playing" list, with Risk, Pandemic, Monopoly, and a few other games i never have fun with.

Speaking of, I once saw a man who had never played Risk before get roped into a game on the promise that "it will only take an hour or two."

Not boardgame but Chivalry: Medieval Warfare just made some DLC in partnership with "Deadliest Warrior," which is completely off the rails. The taunts are glorious, Ninja's shout out 'SHH BE QUIET' and Pirate shout 'I've crushed seventeen men's skulls between me thighs," and Pirates just piss off the tryhards so bad because the blunderbuss is a ragdoll-inducing hand cannon that completely ruins their Samurai honor dreams (yes the tryhards all literally play Samurai). Oh and Vikings can throw everything, including mauls and shields.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tulip posted:

Arkham's on my "gently caress it, not playing" list, with Risk, Pandemic, Monopoly, and a few other games i never have fun with.

The futuristic version of Risk is amazing as hell. It has a hard time limit so it doesn't drag on forever, you get commanders with special abilities, and there are cards you can accumulate to launch special attacks and generally gently caress with people.

I played a pretty close game with my wife and two other people; I conquered the Moon and used it as my unassailable fortress while hampering everyone with a diplomatic leader and assorted political backstabbery, while she got a nuclear general and just amassed nuke cards all game so people would be afraid to antagonize her too much. In the end, she was getting a lot of pressure on all fronts, so she played one of her nuclear cards. Now, nuke cards can range from tactical nukes that kill some enemy units to outright ICBM strikes that select a random territory in a nation and literally annihilate it (a radiation symbol is placed on it to mark it as uninhabitable and not part of the game anymore). She did not play one of those kinds of cards.

The card she played was Armageddon. Armageddon lets everyone at the table immediately play any and all currently usable nuke cards in their possession. She had almost all of the nuke cards and was the only one with a nuclear general currently on the board.

The end result was that, on the last turn of a very close, well-fought game, she went full-on megalomaniac and blew up the loving world. Numerous territories were wiped off the planet, the undersea colony of Atlantis got blown the gently caress up, Quebec was incinerated, dozens and dozens of units were obliterated without recourse, one player was actually straight up genocided out of the game when all of his remaining units got bombed to hell by ICBMs, my entire army was stranded on the Moon when the last spaceport I had on Earth was blasted to poo poo, and the remaining player was left the crippled and powerless ruler of an irradiated hell. My wife even blew up a bunch of her own stuff in the nuclear apocalypse, but she was the most powerful leader in the end, with me as a close second thanks to all of the diplomacy poo poo I'd been doing, and her two most dangerous opponents utterly crushed in the atomic holocaust. She came out ahead in points, became the supreme leader of the post-apocalyptic world she'd created, graciously named me President of the Moon, and won the game.

The other two guys were loving pissed. I don't know, I thought it was an awesome as hell way to finish the game.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 21, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tulip posted:

Speaking of, I once saw a man who had never played Risk before get roped into a game on the promise that "it will only take an hour or two."

When we play Risk it seldom goes longer than turn two. Say it's a four person game, during player A's turn player B decides he doesn't want to play Risk and boots up LoL. When his turn comes around he attacks anyone he possible can effectively suiciding himself. Player C and D kinda hold a bit because they don't really feel like killing everything. Player A gets revenge on B by removing him from the game but spreading all his forces incredibly thin. Player C tries to hold spots where D can attack him from and either finishes or almost finishes off A. Then D just cleans up.

Every loving time. That's why I haven't bothered to open my copy of Risk Legacy I won yet because it will be a waste.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Len posted:

Say it's a four person game, during player A's turn player B decides he doesn't want to play Risk and boots up LoL.

Every loving time. That's why I haven't bothered to open my copy of Risk Legacy I won yet because it will be a waste.

The solution is to not play with Player B because that's rude as hell.

Tulip posted:

I've played with five or six different groups and every single time it really devolves into a game of solitaire. Arkham's on my "gently caress it, not playing" list, with Risk, Pandemic, Monopoly, and a few other games i never have fun with.

I generally find that the way to play Arkham is to accept that it's a game of solitaire, but make sure everyone's at least having fun helping put their input into the discussion. If you play with a loud rear end in a top hat who'll overbear everyone else then it's not that fun, but in that situation most games aren't anyway. A group of people shooting the poo poo over what decisions to make can be pretty pleasant. Also, insist on reading out the cards in as overblown a silly voice as possible.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Angry Diplomat posted:

The other two guys were loving pissed. I don't know, I thought it was an awesome as hell way to finish the game.

I never thought the Samson option would actually work to the benefit of anyone using it, but I guess I've been proven wrong!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Angry Diplomat posted:

The futuristic version of Risk is amazing as hell.

I haven't played it since my lil bro and i had a fistfight over the game during highschool. Your story is pretty awesome, however.

Stelas posted:

I generally find that the way to play Arkham is to accept that it's a game of solitaire, but make sure everyone's at least having fun helping put their input into the discussion. If you play with a loud rear end in a top hat who'll overbear everyone else then it's not that fun, but in that situation most games aren't anyway. A group of people shooting the poo poo over what decisions to make can be pretty pleasant. Also, insist on reading out the cards in as overblown a silly voice as possible.

Oh it's not so much that anybody is a loud rear end in a top hat (or at least, is a loud rear end in a top hat in any sort of disrespectful or unfun way), as that it doesn't give great interaction opportunities. The trouble isn't that it leads to anything particularly bad, as that it's boring when you have Seven Wonders, Terra Mystica, Innovation, etc. sitting around. Seven Wonders is a great one by the way, the central game mechanic is hate drafting, you can get people real pissed.

One of my best friends who did drive me nuts was a guy i played Cataan with a bunch. He spent every game furiously lobbying the rest of the players to not trade with me. "Tulip's victory is just around the corner, you'll all see, if you trade with him you all lose!" I'd be in fourth place by like five points and he'd still be begging every other player not to trade with me. He'd still trade with me though. I got mad a few times but usually i'd just play dumb and people wouldn't listen to him.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tulip posted:

Seven Wonders is a great one by the way, the central game mechanic is hate drafting, you can get people real pissed.

Bury Science cards all day every day.

I dunno, my group has a good record with Arkham, but then we're all very laid back and... not especially good at Arkham's rules. For the real deal schadenfreude, though, you want Galaxy Trucker: the game about building rickety ships from Pipemania pieces then watching an asteroid neatly smash them in two. Bonus points if you get the expansion with the card that lets you send asteroids at someone else, or the card that allows bits that fall off your ship to go hit everyone in your wake.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Stelas posted:

Black Goat of the Woods helps by introducing the corruption cards and the One of the Thousand membership, so you have a risky membership card for the group to consider as well as everyone accumulating neat personal touches. With the gate burst mechanics from Dunwich Horror on combined with the King in Yellow's more punishing terror track, there's a need for multiple people to play defense so it's not just "The Gate Explorer and the Temple of Winning the Game."

The real problem is Kingsport's special mechanic is loving bullshit. Kingsport's whole shtick is if you aren't watching it it'll spawn a mobile rift that spits monsters out and wrecks your terror track. But the counter is just one person every turn wandering over to no one really cares to shut down the rift by sitting on it for a turn instead of having fun. Every turn. The other expansion town, Dunwich, is sort of the same but not as aggressively bad since you actually gotta fight monsters.

Last time I played with the rift nonsense we put a friend, who really wanted to play Arkham Horror, to sleep with that because we needed some one to stop the rift progress. The boards are boring bullshit and don't include them unless you hate your friends.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 21, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TGLT posted:

Black Goat of the Woods helps by introducing the corruption cards and the One of the Thousand membership, so you have a risky membership card for the group to consider as well as everyone accumulating neat personal touches. With the gate burst mechanics from Dunwich Horror on combined with the King in Yellow's more punishing terror track, there's a need for multiple people to play defense so it's not just "The Gate Explorer and the Temple of Winning the Game."

The one game mode is the best though. Green-eyed Boy has the potential for one of the players to become a traitor and help the DM win. The players don't know if the card to turn someone traitor has been played. It was my first game of AH, and it happened we ended up one turn from victory. Now Bill has been burned by Arkham Horror before by my brother, who was currently DM. He suspected that one player that wasn't him was the traitor, as all of the type of card that holds the traitor card had been played, he thought. My brother replied that no, there were two more. Trusting my brother, I agreed that the potential that no one was the traitor was there as no one had tried to kill one another, so Bill, and a couple others went to get the plot mcguffin, and use my character, Trashcan Pete and Dog to ferry it to where it needs to go. Right as Bill picks it up, a player reveals he is in fact the traitor, laughs at Bill for being dumb enough to trust the DM, and kills him. As it happens, my brother lied, and he and the traitor were banking on the fact that I had never played the game before and wouldn't myself know exactly how many cards there were like Bill did, so I would inadvertently try to hold things together long enough for the traitor to do his thing, which I did. Bill ended up trying to flip the table and failing, and stormed off, and I was in tears laughing.

Arkham Horror isn't about winning or losing, it's about wonderful moments like those. :allears:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 21, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Glagha posted:

In addition to that, there's the Pacts, which are a series of spells that are free when you play them, but require you to pay the cost at the beginning of your next turn or lose. Because you untap all your lands (refill your resources) before paying this cost, it's convenient when you have an effect that you need right now and might not have the mana for. When everyone must play a copy of the spell though, you just cast a pact that only you have the resources to pay for. Because there's one in every color, unless everyone's playing 5 color magic, you probably have at least one for each player that can't be paid. Do it during your turn, and every player has to pay their costs before your turn comes up. Hell, you don't even have to be able to pay for the spell if everyone else is dead before you!

If you use this deck, everyone is entitled to punch you in the dick after the game.

Warp World is much more fun to use. You shuffle all permanents you own into your deck, reveal that many cards from the top of it; all permanents enter the battlefield, all non-permanents go on the bottom of your library.

Then you do this again for every player. If you run a deck where you have only a handful of non-permanents (such as your Warp Worlds), you'll maintain a fairly large amount of permanents onboard.

Your opponents? Not so much. The number of cards they'll reveal will get smaller and smaller for each instant or sorcery, until it gets down to just a comparative handful of cards or none at all. Depends on how big the game is. You can also build your deck to play off of this, with numerous Enters the Battlefield (ETB) triggers, that'll go off during Warp World and resolve before the next one.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Back when I was hanging around the university's gaming club office, random board games would be pulled out to pass the time when everyone was sick of Magic. A common favorite (for reasons I never understood) was the Buffy The Vampire Slayer game. It apparently follows the TV series reasonably well, with all the players but one playing as a character from the show (with various abilities) and one player taking one of the seasonal big bad guys. The player's objective: beat the bad guy, who is generally stronger than all the rest until they've had time to build themselves up.

One bad guy is the Mayor who starts out disguised as a normal human and can't be harmed until he transforms into a giant monster. To do this, the players must move to a specific spot on the board and close a demonic portal. One of the club regulars was forbidden from playing the Mayor, as he would simply place the Mayor on top of that spot and, as he was invulnerable, make it impossible for anyone else to land on that spot and force him to transform. He couldn't win, but he could also never lose. It took until the third time that people realized he was going to keep doing that EVERY time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Stelas posted:

The solution is to not play with Player B because that's rude as hell.

Player B stopped showing up when I blocked LoL in the internet settings. So I took it to a whole passive aggressive level.

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.
Going back to magic for a second, an act in three parts.

1. Mesa Chicken. A creature that has the ability "Flap your arms like a chicken: Mesa Chicken gains flying until the end of turn."
2. Mindslaver. An artifact with the ability "Take control of target opponent's turn."
3. Donate. A sorcery with the ability "Give target player control of a permanent you control."

Activate Mindslaver. Donate the Chicken. Look your opponent in the face and tell him, "You activate Mesa Chicken again and again until you die of exhaustion or concede. The choice is yours."

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's an, in essence, infinite combo. You can skip over the steps necessary to play it out over and over again and skips to the results, assuming the other players involved voice no objections or are otherwise unable to. Mesa Chicken gains flying infinitely; you accomplish nothing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SpookyLizard posted:

It's an, in essence, infinite combo. You can skip over the steps necessary to play it out over and over again and skips to the results, assuming the other players involved voice no objections or are otherwise unable to. Mesa Chicken gains flying infinitely; you accomplish nothing.

However, there is a cost involved - flapping your arms, while trivial when done in moderation, is eventually going to tire you out to the point where you're not going to be able to do it anymore. Sure, that might be longer than a tournament game of magic lasts, but if you just want to be a bit of a dick to someone it's a hilarious way to do it.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
My friends and I used to play an out of print board game based on Dune that Avalon Hill published in the 70s and 80s. We ebayed some expansions and one of them added very strong leaders to each faction with the catch that if your strong leader died, you were out of the game. The object of the game was to control a certain number of cities and/or sietches on the board, and the number changed if you were allied with other players.

So I was allied with my buddy, I controlled two sietches and a city, we needed one more to win. He invades one, while other players invade two of mine. If I successfully defend mine, and he successfully takes his, we win. If not, we can try for it again next turn. In this game, each faction has some special abilities. I was playing Bene Gesserit, and had the power of the voice, which meant in each combat, I could dictate that my opponent could not use a particular type of card, or if I knew they had a certain card, I could say they must use that one. Typically this could be used to guarantee your leader survives, or guarantee you kill their leader. I knew my opponent had a projectile weapon and I had a projectile shield, so I said he had to use his projectile weapon so my leader would be safe.

Then on a whim, I decided I really didn't want my buddy with whom I was allied to win, and decided to use my strong leader and not protect her, taking myself out of the game, and my buddy went from almost winning, to dead last (he didn't take his city).

It's kind of a lovely grief in principle: killing myself to screw him over, but the look on his face, and that fact that 8+ years later, he still brings it up made it all worth it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It could also be argued that you have to flap your arms since you're controlling their turn. Or they tell you to stop being such a oval office, because you're being an rear end on the kitchen table.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tulip posted:

Yea the idea of griefing in Arkham is just baffling to me. I've played with five or six different groups and every single time it really devolves into a game of solitaire. There's only one win/lose condition, and it doesn't even particularly matter if you die, so you just let the smartest person make all the decisions and everybody else just rolls die with no investment in their own individual progress.
This is actually a really common theme among co-op games, and it's nicknamed 'quarterbacking'. I wrote a rule update a few months back that, among a few other things, included some secrecy rules to help limit quarterbacking. poo poo like, if you use a card in a check, you have to show it, but directly after the check you have to turn it back over. So people will probably know if you have a Tommy Gun, but they're not going to know how much money you have, your current stam/san, stuff like that. It's not enough information to accurately call your every move.

The two test games I've had with the rules, they've worked well, if slightly awkwardly. The biggest change was the culture change in the game, it made the quarterback from a nice guy who just wants to help you win the game (at the cost of all your fun), to an rear end in a top hat rule breaker who needs to mind his own god drat business. Then I put in a few other things that made the game play more smoothly and encourage actual co-op that people generally enjoyed, particularly when the loving flying monsters started rolling around. The game still lasted a bit long for my tastes (about 2 hours with two very different Big Bads), and it certainly was not The Best Game Ever, but it made AH a LOT more fun and actually something you could play at a game night without consuming the entire evening or making someone so bored/frustrated that they never wanted to come again, which were all very nice things.

On the subject of Arkham, though, it is worth noting that one of the expansions actually added this Mission card:

Joining the Winning Team
Type: Mission
1) St. Mary's Hospital
2) Arkham Asylum
3) South Church
4) Lost in Time and Space

Sacrifice: 1 Ally

Effect: You win the game. Any other investigators lose the game.

For those who haven't played, this means that you have to visit each one of these locations in turn and sacrifice 1 Ally card (VERY hard cards to get). The last location is not one that's accessible normally. You generally only get there by going in to one of the hell worlds and going insane or being knocked unconscious, so it involves going to a hell world and basically intentionally damaging yourself so much that you hit 0 HP.

The seriously trollish thing about this card is that if you have the resources to accumulate 4 Allies, you are probably more than strong enough to win the game by sealing the Big Bad, anyway. And that's a communal victory where everyone wins.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 22, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Getting 4 Allies isn't just a 'probably win,' that's an absolute slam dunk of a win unless you roll horrifically.

That card is beautiful, which expansion is it from?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Magres posted:

Getting 4 Allies isn't just a 'probably win,' that's an absolute slam dunk of a win unless you roll horrifically.

That card is beautiful, which expansion is it from?

Dunwich Horror. Which, if you ignore the extra board and everything that has anything to do with it, is actually not a bad expansion. It introduced the Madness and Injury cards that made knockouts/insanity something somewhat less than a total disaster. Usually, anyway.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Sweet, thanks

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.

SpookyLizard posted:

It could also be argued that you have to flap your arms since you're controlling their turn. Or they tell you to stop being such a oval office, because you're being an rear end on the kitchen table.

My playgroup thought it was really funny actually.

Now the Words of Wind/Sylvan Library/Enchantresses Presence deck, THAT nobody thought was funny. :getin:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wow ultimate grief on me. Remember how I mentioned you could make all these puns on the hero's names in DOTA 2. Guess that got me "No one hears you. Your account has been flagged as disruptive and your communication privileges have been temporarily revoked".

Looks like the grief is on me, and thats enough to get you reported.

You could say I was....disrupted. (Hero in the game)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, my playgroup wanted me to stop using my Jhoira of the Ghitu deck for EDH because "it killed people too quickly". So they told me to make a combo deck preferably with somethign like Norin the Wary- so I picked him up then proceeded to make one of the most infuriating decks that I've ever made.

To explain a couple things, I suppose I should explain EDH- basically you have a deck of 99 cards plus 1 legendary creature- your "Commander". Every card in your deck has to either be colourless or be your commander's colour, and you cannot generate mana outside of your commander's colour.

Anyway- looking at the card, it seems pretty weak- it basically does nothing and can't kill dudes. Except there are quite a few cards that work well with Norin, like Pandemonium and Confusion in the Ranks. After that, the deck started to come together.

Next time that the five of us gathered together, I brought the deck out, all but one of them laughed for a bit, what can Norin do right? That one dude had a worried look in his eye. Then we started to play.

Turn 1 rolls around, and they laugh as Norin pops out. They continue to ignore me.

Turn 5 rolls around and I have Confusion in the Ranks and a Grip of Chaos out, and people are looking a bit strained as their precious comboes are disappearing before them.

Turn 10 rolls around, and they're begging for release, as I drop things like Mogg Infestation on myself to cause a poo poo ton of chaos.

Turn 11 is when they started to beg for release when I dropped a Goblin Assassin on them followed up by a Planar Chaos. Despair filled their faces as they realized exactly what happened to the board. Basically they had a 50/50 chance at even playing anything, and if it was a creature it would be lost immediately, and then Norin would come back to me and take something else.

I'm not allowed to play with Norin the Wary anymore.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Wow ultimate grief on me. Remember how I mentioned you could make all these puns on the hero's names in DOTA 2. Guess that got me "No one hears you. Your account has been flagged as disruptive and your communication privileges have been temporarily revoked".

Looks like the grief is on me, and thats enough to get you reported.

You could say I was....disrupted. (Hero in the game)

Oh hey it's the guy who complains about being banned a lot in LoL for driving stupid gimmicks into the ground, man I don't even play those sorts of games and I know of your obsession with being the victim, I think your health and demeanor would improve if you stopped playing these games, and also posting.

QtoZ
Oct 29, 2003

No matter where you go, there you are.

berenzen posted:

Yeah, my playgroup wanted me to stop using my Jhoira of the Ghitu deck for EDH because "it killed people too quickly". So they told me to make a combo deck preferably with somethign like Norin the Wary- so I picked him up then proceeded to make one of the most infuriating decks that I've ever made.

To explain a couple things, I suppose I should explain EDH- basically you have a deck of 99 cards plus 1 legendary creature- your "Commander". Every card in your deck has to either be colourless or be your commander's colour, and you cannot generate mana outside of your commander's colour.

Anyway- looking at the card, it seems pretty weak- it basically does nothing and can't kill dudes. Except there are quite a few cards that work well with Norin, like Pandemonium and Confusion in the Ranks. After that, the deck started to come together.

Next time that the five of us gathered together, I brought the deck out, all but one of them laughed for a bit, what can Norin do right? That one dude had a worried look in his eye. Then we started to play.

Turn 1 rolls around, and they laugh as Norin pops out. They continue to ignore me.

Turn 5 rolls around and I have Confusion in the Ranks and a Grip of Chaos out, and people are looking a bit strained as their precious comboes are disappearing before them.

Turn 10 rolls around, and they're begging for release, as I drop things like Mogg Infestation on myself to cause a poo poo ton of chaos.

Turn 11 is when they started to beg for release when I dropped a Goblin Assassin on them followed up by a Planar Chaos. Despair filled their faces as they realized exactly what happened to the board. Basically they had a 50/50 chance at even playing anything, and if it was a creature it would be lost immediately, and then Norin would come back to me and take something else.

I'm not allowed to play with Norin the Wary anymore.

Maybe I'm dumb but I don't really get it. Explain this for people who don't play Magic: The Gathering.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

QtoZ posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but I don't really get it. Explain this for people who don't play Magic: The Gathering.

The card leaves play every time something happens; and then re-enters play at the end of the turn. He built a deck built around things happening whenever a card enters or possibly leaves play; because his friends thought the card was useless and nobody could design a deck around it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
He also built the deck to cause as much uncontrollable chaos as possible. In EDH, people tend to set up extremely elaborate combos that will make them invincible or kill everyone else at once, and get extremely upset when you poke holes in their combos.

He didn't poke holes in their combos, he attacked them with a chainsaw.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Wouldn't Confusion in the Ranks mean swapping Norin the Wary with your opponent when he came back at the end of the turn? Or was him jumping back and forth between your teams intended anyway?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

Wouldn't Confusion in the Ranks mean swapping Norin the Wary with your opponent when he came back at the end of the turn? Or was him jumping back and forth between your teams intended anyway?

Norin returns to his owner, not his controller. So everything else keeps jumping around, but Norin just keeps going home.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Control Volume posted:

Oh hey it's the guy who complains about being banned a lot in LoL for driving stupid gimmicks into the ground, man I don't even play those sorts of games and I know of your obsession with being the victim, I think your health and demeanor would improve if you stopped playing these games, and also posting.

That's how he got his big red title, incidentally. He refused to use one of the summoner abilities in league (Ignite, if I recall) claiming it was overpowered and/or cheating, then would go on to make a ton of posts in the League thread about how bullshit it was and how he only ever lost because of that one spell and he was so much better than other people for not using it.

Good times.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Sereri posted:

A few months ago we started to have game night at work once a week. Bang! is played basically every week unless there's less than 5 people present. Characters are drawn at random so there's no need for something like this. However this exact combo happened last week and you just made me laugh like I did when it happened. I had supplied the jail card that made some other player's life hell.

Next week we are supposed to play Arkham Horror. What a great time to catch up on this thread.

My playgroup likes to draft Bang! characters and also run multiple characters per player (taking the highest life total and all powers). One game, I ended up with a guy with 9 life (who can't avoid bullets), a guy who could lose 1 life to draw 2 cards, and a guy who could discard 2 cards to gain 1 life. The game ended in one round when I could draw through the entire deck infinitely (since several cards heal at a 1:1 ratio which lets me amass more and more cards). Those characters are never allowed to be used in combination with each other anymore.

Also in one of the Arkham Horror expansions, there's a tome item called the Massa di Requiem per Shuggay, or something along those lines. Now, in AH, you either win the game by sealing all the gates that open up, or, if too much time elapses (The Great Old One of the game has a doom track of varying length depending on which one you picked, that fills up throughout the game) the Great Old One wakes up and you have to fight it in a typically difficult battle to either eke out a win or be devoured and doom the world.

Massa di Requiem per Shuggay says "Do a usual spell/knowledge check thing. If you pass, the Great Old One immediately wakes up" :kheldragar: (For added grief, one Great Old One, Azathoth, has the longest Doom Track of any of them, but if he wakes up, he devours all of reality and the game instantly ends in a loss)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zaodai posted:

That's how he got his big red title, incidentally. He refused to use one of the summoner abilities in league (Ignite, if I recall) claiming it was overpowered and/or cheating, then would go on to make a ton of posts in the League thread about how bullshit it was and how he only ever lost because of that one spell and he was so much better than other people for not using it.

Good times.

He also posted about how summoner abilities were dragging down LoL in the PYF thing dragging a game down thread.

Like 13 times.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it probably does count as a grief.

Anyway, to the EVE goons who post here:

Was there really a thing that happened where some guys in Goonswarm cut the power to a guy's house so he couldn't participate in a space fight?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Chucat posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it probably does count as a grief.

Anyway, to the EVE goons who post here:

Was there really a thing that happened where some guys in Goonswarm cut the power to a guy's house so he couldn't participate in a space fight?

This actually seems pretty familiar to me, I think I read a story about it a long time ago.

I want to say it wasn't someone in Goonswarm, but an ally or something like that.

If someone has the story it would be appreciated.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I thought it was those Russians who were allied to the swarm at first and then they turned on eachother.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
http://www.twitch.tv/ccp/b/471606839

Go to 3:42:00, at which point The Mittani (Goonswarm leader) recounts the exact story. It were Russian allies. Don't gently caress with the Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Archenteron posted:

My playgroup likes to draft Bang! characters and also run multiple characters per player (taking the highest life total and all powers). One game, I ended up with a guy with 9 life (who can't avoid bullets), a guy who could lose 1 life to draw 2 cards, and a guy who could discard 2 cards to gain 1 life. The game ended in one round when I could draw through the entire deck infinitely (since several cards heal at a 1:1 ratio which lets me amass more and more cards). Those characters are never allowed to be used in combination with each other anymore.

Also in one of the Arkham Horror expansions, there's a tome item called the Massa di Requiem per Shuggay, or something along those lines. Now, in AH, you either win the game by sealing all the gates that open up, or, if too much time elapses (The Great Old One of the game has a doom track of varying length depending on which one you picked, that fills up throughout the game) the Great Old One wakes up and you have to fight it in a typically difficult battle to either eke out a win or be devoured and doom the world.

Massa di Requiem per Shuggay says "Do a usual spell/knowledge check thing. If you pass, the Great Old One immediately wakes up" :kheldragar: (For added grief, one Great Old One, Azathoth, has the longest Doom Track of any of them, but if he wakes up, he devours all of reality and the game instantly ends in a loss)

If you aren't fighting Azathoth (because you can't fight the Destroyer) don't you fight the Great Old One at an easier difficulty?

• Locked thread