Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I thought for sure it would be a religious DLC, but that really does look like a sacked and burning Rome. I could see it being another big timeline extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Dauntasa posted:

If you can revoke the prisoner's titles, do it and give them to someone who is Content and preferably really, really dumb. Ignore the factions. Claimant factions never attack until they have at least 30% of your men and even then still almost never attack until they hit 70%. There's always gonna be 2-3 claimant factions in any big country, and the best thing to do is ignore them. If they don't have much power they will very rarely get more unless you piss everyone off. Worry about Independence factions, not claimant factions.

Claimant factions are also easily killed off by assassinating the target heir - I believe you have to kill their heirs as well which adds to the cost but it should be doable with a decent stash of cash. Raise your authority level when you can - I find being able to revoke for different religions or failed insurrections is exceedingly helpful. I started a Zoroastrian playthrough last night - I've now got three kingdom level titles (which I use to avoid attacking with the religious war CB when the muslims are at peace with each other, getting three kingdoms with Gavelkind has resulted in a lot of fratricide). Two of the kingdoms are at high or max authority and are easy to take care of, but the low authority kingdom is a pain to police since powerful dukes or counts are a problem.

I know other players like to have as many count level titles as possible for the increased direct vassal count, myself I like choosing a single county with the max demense count and spamming castles. In case of a massive revolt you have a centralized place of power with your advisors giving you bonuses and it also means you can only raise your own troops fairly easily for a small scale problem you don't want to bother your vassals for.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

I started as Dublin and have since built 2 more towns in the province. I'm sitting on fat stacks and can barely spend it all.

I've got problems where my dukes have some intermingling with each other's land. Brittany, Munster, and southern Wales are all at war over some poo poo. I've got a duke in prison I'm not sure what to do with. Thankfully, they all seem to like me well enough. Except the guy in prison who's -100. There's also a weak "Princess Madb for Ireland" faction and there was one for Wales. What do I do about those?

Another important question: what's your crown authority right now? How much power do they all have? A duke with only a single county and a few vassals is very different from a monster duke with 10+ vassals, good relations with those vassals, and a full demense limit. A weak king with poor vassal relations is mincemeat for a powerful duke who wants the crown immediately after a succession. Coincidentally that's when I like to strike my enemies in this game - to the point where I assassinate enemy kings I want to pick counties from.
E: Woops post is not edit!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Dauntasa posted:

If you can revoke the prisoner's titles, do it and give them to someone who is Content and preferably really, really dumb. Ignore the factions. Claimant factions never attack until they have at least 30% of your men and even then still almost never attack until they hit 70%. There's always gonna be 2-3 claimant factions in any big country, and the best thing to do is ignore them. If they don't have much power they will very rarely get more unless you piss everyone off. Worry about Independence factions, not claimant factions.

I had an Independence faction, but it died down after a while on its own. It was run by the Count of Nantes, the last remaining original count from when King Murchad the Great conquered Brittany. The man survived 3 Irish kings, was a certified lunatic, was married a half-dozen times, got excommunicated, re-communicated, and finally died at the ripe old age of ~90 of old age and crazyness. The only reason I kept him around for so long and never imprisoned him when the pope hated him was because he made baller steward with his 24 stewardship. Crazy old coot.

Medium crown authority. I'd have to go through and look at my vassals, but most of them I think have direct control of their lands or 1-2 vassals. This is probably a mistake.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Baudin posted:

Claimant factions are also easily killed off by assassinating the target heir - I believe you have to kill their heirs as well which adds to the cost but it should be doable with a decent stash of cash.

That seems like kind of a waste of money when claimant factions so rarely gain traction. I think I've only ever had one be a credible threat (a gavelkind succession split the kingdoms of Brittany and Wales, and my brother the King of Wales was more popular than me, so he and my dukes kicked me off the throne.) It's also a waste of potential heirs, making losing your heir to a random accident or illness very risky.

(That having been said, one of my favourite CKII games was definitely starting as the Duke of Burgundy, then having my very first character be elevated to the throne of France by a claimant civil war I did not fight in.)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Offer Vassalization needs to have an "I'm hosed" modifier. Norse Adventurer states keep refusing to become my vassals because I'm not their De Jure Liege and am still Norse as opposed to Norwegian or whatever they are but the AI should take into account the whole "I'm surrounded on all sides by angry Muslims and will be crushed in short order as soon as one of them decides to care" and pledge allegiance to me so that they can survive.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

QuoProQuid posted:

Guessing by the pictures, I am going to guess that the next DLC will involve a Crusade overhaul. The first press release in particular looks almost exactly like medieval descriptions of peasants leaving for the Holy Land.

The Peoples' Crusade posted:

My liege! It seems that a preacher named Peter the Hermit has been spreading fantastical tales about making a great crusade for Jerusalem. His inspiring oratory has prompted a mass migration of tens of thousands of peasants, determined to make their way and establish a Kingdom of God in the Holy Land.

quote:

Allow them to settle: 5 prestige, Kingdom of Egypt gains Frankish as an accepted culture. Population in Jerusalem gains 5%.
Expel these infidels!: -5 prestige, Any/All such that the following is true Is Catholic gains Crusade CB on Kingdom of Egypt

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 21, 2013

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

You do, however, have to be careful about getting into nasty wars. Factions' relative strength is calculated based on your current strength, rather than your maximum strength. If you get your levies cut in half in a war, your factions' relative strength will increase and they'll take the opportunity to rebel.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

You do, however, have to be careful about getting into nasty wars. Factions' relative strength is calculated based on your current strength, rather than your maximum strength. If you get your levies cut in half in a war, your factions' relative strength will increase and they'll take the opportunity to rebel.

The thing about this is that Claimant factions and Authority factions are usually pretty smart about this. They want to control the country, not destroy it, and attacking their King while he's desperately fighting off conquerors is not a great idea.

The independence faction doesn't care. They'll burn the whole loving thing to the ground if that's what it takes, because they won't be part of it anymore.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

DStecks posted:

Does that make sense for them historically, though? Was there in reality an Orthodox equivalent of crusades? Because personally, I'm against homogenizing gameplay for the sake of "balance" in situations like this. Give the Orthodox some other interesting gameplay mechanic that was an aspect of the church historically, making every religion play exactly the same is boring.

Yeah, I'd agree with this I guess. I'm all for historical accuracy but then again this is a game where you can effectively have a Norse crusade, reform the Roman Empire and get invaded by Aztecs. The Orthodox places really do need something to counter this in some way (as it stands, I rarely see Byzantium survive as a serious political force for any length of time under the AI). Maybe a more accurate representation of the unique way the Empire was governed (non-hereditary titles, lots of centralised power on the emperor etc) would work? Byzantium as a political monster to counter its spiritual weakness? I'm really rough on my knowledge of Byzantine history though so this could be totally ahistorical too.

Fuligin posted:

I thought for sure it would be a religious DLC, but that really does look like a sacked and burning Rome. I could see it being another big timeline extension.

I kind of hope not. I'd like them maybe push it back to Charlemagne or Charles Martel (if only because I love that period of history - in reality it would be pretty dull from a gameplay point of view, a huge unstoppable Francia blob) but really any further than that it would just be daft. In terms of accurately representing dynastic politics and the vassal/liege relationship they were pushing it with the Old Gods. The difference between the late Roman era/immediate post Roman era and the high medieval era is easily as different as between the high medieval era and the enlightenment. It would just be flat out unbelievable.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 21, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

quiggy posted:

Is it wrong of me that now I want Paradox to release a DLC explicitly for the purpose of baiting racists? "CK2: Now with Jews, Romani, and, aw what the hell, African Americans and Aborigines."

It would be amazing, also have the DLC add in fancy important new mechanics so the racists would either have to bitterly deal with it or go without.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Since we're talking about new DLC, a new mechanic that would be drat useful would be an option to change a holding type. Let's say I had a useless county that only had churches in it. Being able to convert them to castles would be awesome, even if it cost as much as building an entirely new holding there. Or when playing a Republic, being able to turn all the provinces you conquer into nothing but cities would be amazing.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Just because Rome is being sacked in the preview image, doesn't mean that it's Fall of Rome. The Saracens sacked Rome in 846. And it was sacked twice again during the Middle Ages by Catholics.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
They can't go any farther back than 632 really, otherwise you'll have the problem of Muhammad being a playable character. There's a couple of other major Islamic figures who normally are not depicted. (Abu Bakr and Ali I think.) It would be neat to play through the Arab invasions though.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Achernar posted:

They can't go any farther back than 632 really, otherwise you'll have the problem of Muhammad being a playable character. There's a couple of other major Islamic figures who normally are not depicted. (Abu Bakr and Ali I think.) It would be neat to play through the Arab invasions though.

It would be really funny if Mohammed was in the game but instead of a portrait he had one of those Arabic patterns or something. Racists would just love that.

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 21, 2013

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Okay here's a thought: Norse Pagans are overpowered as hell and a large part of that is due to the shitloads of cash you get from raids. CK2+ balances this by taking away the Reformed Pagan ability to raid. Unfortunately raiding is fun as hell and removing things that are fun as hell is dumb. So, I had an idea. Make it so that Reformed Pagans, or at least Reformed Norse can still raid, but that instead of being just a smash and grab loot it's actually a codified holy act to go burn poo poo and kill heathens for Odin. When Reformed, change raiding from a way to acquire money to a way to acquire Prestige and Piety. Replace the gold you get with piety(and also remove the upkeep for raiders as the individual soldiers now get to keep what they loot) and add the ability to deliberately destroy Churches and Temples to get shitloads of piety and prestige and moral authority.

And give them a thing like Hajj where they drop the whole Fylkir thing for a while to go personally kill and burn poo poo for Odin.

Clanpot Shake posted:

It would be really funny if Mohammed was in the game but instead of a portrait he had one of those Arabic pattern or something. Racists would just love that.

If you go back far enough in the bloodline of a Sayyid you will find him. He has no portrait.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Clanpot Shake posted:

It would be really funny if Mohammed was in the game but instead of a portrait he had one of those Arabic pattern or something. Racists would just love that.

Go back through the history of either Caliphate and you'll find this is the case.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Clanpot Shake posted:

This is exactly what Paradox did with his historical character entry, actually. (check the title history for the Sunni Caliphate)

I don't know how the forum reacted, but I for one thought it was cool of them (actually, most of the flavour content for other religions has been extremely respectful, particularly the Muslim events in SoI.)

edit: wow, we're fast.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, I'd agree with this I guess. I'm all for historical accuracy but then again this is a game where you can effectively have a Norse crusade, reform the Roman Empire and get invaded by Aztecs. The Orthodox places really do need something to counter this in some way (as it stands, I rarely see Byzantium survive as a serious political force for any length of time under the AI). Maybe a more accurate representation of the unique way the Empire was governed (non-hereditary titles, lots of centralised power on the emperor etc) would work? Byzantium as a political monster to counter its spiritual weakness? I'm really rough on my knowledge of Byzantine history though so this could be totally ahistorical too.

In my recent Old Gods start date games the Byzantines were actually rather strong. I agree that the Empire rarely survives in a 1066 start, but the earlier date makes them arguably overpowered. So I don't know if they need any help. If they do, they would probably become the new Fatimids. And if you think about it, the game is historically accurate if the Byzantines slowly lose ground.

You can have Norse crusades because they are an alternate history version, in which the Christians did not convert them. The same is not true of Orthodox Christendom, because we know they had no holy orders and nothing like Crusades.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm in ~1250 in a game of vanilla and the Byzantine Empire stretches from Turkey to all of Greece. They're only now getting their poo poo pushed in by the Golden Horde. Is this not normal?

(I married into the family so now I have to go conquer poo poo in Libya)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

quiggy posted:

Is it wrong of me that now I want Paradox to release a DLC explicitly for the purpose of baiting racists? "CK2: Now with Jews, Romani, and, aw what the hell, African Americans and Aborigines."
African Americans? :raise:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

In my recent Old Gods start date games the Byzantines were actually rather strong. I agree that the Empire rarely survives in a 1066 start, but the earlier date makes them arguably overpowered.

The Byzantines are actually much stronger in the Alexiad start date than the 1066 start date although that's mainly because their enemies are weaker.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dauntasa posted:

The thing about this is that Claimant factions and Authority factions are usually pretty smart about this. They want to control the country, not destroy it, and attacking their King while he's desperately fighting off conquerors is not a great idea.

The independence faction doesn't care. They'll burn the whole loving thing to the ground if that's what it takes, because they won't be part of it anymore.

Independence factions are also the worst since they'll mess up your ~pretty borders~ and force you to spend time taking them back while other nations nibble at them, while a claimant faction will preserve the country for you to scheme your way to the top. I give in to 'lower authority' factions half the time, since I usually run pretty low authority and it's not worth a war unless you're going for Primogeniture.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Torrannor posted:

In my recent Old Gods start date games the Byzantines were actually rather strong. I agree that the Empire rarely survives in a 1066 start, but the earlier date makes them arguably overpowered. So I don't know if they need any help. If they do, they would probably become the new Fatimids. And if you think about it, the game is historically accurate if the Byzantines slowly lose ground.

You can have Norse crusades because they are an alternate history version, in which the Christians did not convert them. The same is not true of Orthodox Christendom, because we know they had no holy orders and nothing like Crusades.

I totally get what you mean but the Byzantines (or rather the Orthodox faith) really does need something to set it apart and make it as fun as the others, purely from a gameplay perspective.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Dauntasa posted:

The Byzantines are actually much stronger in the Alexiad start date than the 1066 start date although that's mainly because their enemies are weaker.

In my experience in 1066 either the Byzantines get Seljuked and the Seljuks run wild or the Byzantines win and run rampant over their de jure lands/the middle east. Speaking of the Seljuk, I wish decadence did more than change the name of the blob. It eally doesn't do much to counter how fast Islamic nations can explode.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

I totally get what you mean but the Byzantines (or rather the Orthodox faith) really does need something to set it apart and make it as fun as the others, purely from a gameplay perspective.

Well the Byzantines have the whole Mending the Schism and Reforming the Roman Empire thing.

They also have the best retinue in the game and the ability to do horrible, horrible things to their prisoners. With Legacy of Rome on they're actually really cool.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dauntasa posted:

Well the Byzantines have the whole Mending the Schism and Reforming the Roman Empire thing.

They also have the best retinue in the game and the ability to do horrible, horrible things to their prisoners. With Legacy of Rome on they're actually really cool.

Even vanilla they've got the whole caesaropapism thing going for them where kings can basically excommunicate at will and there's a totally hosed religious head system. If there is a Catholic DLC like I'm hoping it'd probably add some flavor events to Orthodox as well.

e:vvv it goes on sale occasionally, I think for the Old Gods they had a sale on all the other DLC.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How likely is Valve to put the existing DLC on sale when the new stuff gets announced? I got the game at release and missed all of the DLC/expansions since.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Dauntasa posted:

A human playing Alexios Komnenos can easily bring back the Empire from the Alexiad start date if they just wait until the Seljuk Sultanate proper gets embroiled in something and then start picking off pieces of Rum. In the meantime they've got Barbarians north of the Danube to pick on if the Turks look too strong.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

DStecks posted:

That seems like kind of a waste of money when claimant factions so rarely gain traction. I think I've only ever had one be a credible threat (a gavelkind succession split the kingdoms of Brittany and Wales, and my brother the King of Wales was more popular than me, so he and my dukes kicked me off the throne.) It's also a waste of potential heirs, making losing your heir to a random accident or illness very risky.

The instance I had in mind when I made my post was immediately after a major war where the claimant's (my uncle) victory would have wiped out almost all of my substantial progress by culling almost all of my holdings. I was actually fairly heavily outnumbered, 75% or so of my vassals turned on me, and I really wanted to take advantage of a succession crisis in a neighbouring empire - the Sunni's were turning on each other. By using about 400 gold or so I was able to immediately launch a war that got me 3 or 4 new counties, fixed a ugly map situation and gave me 3 counties within my existing kingdom to give to new (more pliable) vassals.

Killing the claimant is definitely not for every situation, but having that 400 gold or so on hand for the assassinations was a huge boon which dramatically sped up my timeline.

Edit: If you haven't tried a Zoroastrian start from the 867 start date it's definitely worth trying, easily the most fun I've had so far since it's trying to keep a dying religion alive in the face of a massive threat (those neighboring muslims are extremely dangerous if they start to gang up on you early!)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

How likely is Valve to put the existing DLC on sale when the new stuff gets announced? I got the game at release and missed all of the DLC/expansions since.

It probably won't go on sale BECAUSE of the announcement, but this game and its DLC goes on sale if someone drops a hat. Usually all except the newest DLC, and that only no-sale's for a few months.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

quiggy posted:

No I want the same thing for their reactions and goon reactions. Also I hope they are really unbalanced so they can take over Europe very easily.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Necroneocon posted:

No I want the same thing for their reactions and goon reactions. Also I hope they are really unbalanced so they can take over Europe very easily.

"Special event: Illuminati: have Jewish heads of five major kingdoms".

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It probably won't go on sale BECAUSE of the announcement, but this game and its DLC goes on sale if someone drops a hat. Usually all except the newest DLC, and that only no-sale's for a few months.

Someone needs to drop a drat hat. On the other hand, after reading through the Viking/Muslim LPs in the tutorial thread I don't know if I'd be able to resist the temptation and finish my stupid Britannia game. I've still got around 200 years and the other religions get such cool stuff.

On the subject of my current game, someone send help. The second I load the game a large but temporarily weak megafrance is going to join some bullshit county in it's independence war. That's great, because defeating a major revolt and reassigning France would be great for my new ruler. My big problem is Denmark, who the second a war starts will launch it's own independence revolt by spawning supermercs. Ideally I'd like to revoke both titles and install happier people.

Are the event mercs that spawn completely random and something I could reload again to avoid? Assuming they're static, would I gain a claim of some sort if I just let Denmark be temporarily independent even though it's not in my de jure empire? Is there a way out of this that doesn't involve stabbing one guy to put off the inevitable?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

If you ever get the chance, read works from Middle Eastern rulers and scholars about the Crusades. One of the first known reports is from a provincial governor to the Sultan of Rum, explaining that there are massive peasant mobs just roaming through their territory and eating everything in sight. The travelers are described as dirty, unwashed and feeble. At first they are mistaken for refugees or another migrant wave. No one is really sure what to do with them.

Then the knights start arriving and all hell breaks loose.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Necroneocon posted:

Crusader Kings II: The Rise of Sjrbia

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

computer parts posted:

"Special event: Illuminati: have Jewish heads of five major kingdoms".

Turn the entire map Jewish:

"Achievement Unlocked: Ahead of Schedule"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I finally had time to dig deep into the game abd dear god do I love it. I went from Persian shitstorm to conqueror of Mesopotamia and almost of Holy Land. Apparently imprisoning leaders and giving strong titles to your kids helps.

Oh when does the new Banking DLC come out? :) I want my people to help balance Genghis Kahns books so I can create more titles. I love that Judaism might final get added into the game with some depth and because unlike Christianity and Islam will require interesting game mechanics.

Also what the gently caress is with Paradoxs forum? Did anyone get banned in that thread?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Have a succession question I need help with. I'm the king of Denmark (so Norse), and I have a few sons. My first son died, but he had some kids of his own (2 sons and 2 daughters). So next I will play as my second son, but it says I will lose my primary Jarldom to my grandson, but not the Kingdom? Even though I guess I'm going to control one county in that Jarldom still it seems? Kind of a mess.

Anyway, if I stab both of my 2 grandsons, will the Jarldom pass on to the granddaughters or will they go to my second son? Just wondering how many people I will have to stab and/or if there's an easier way to sort out this whole mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Have a succession question I need help with. I'm the king of Denmark (so Norse), and I have a few sons. My first son died, but he had some kids of his own (2 sons and 2 daughters). So next I will play as my second son, but it says I will lose my primary Jarldom to my grandson, but not the Kingdom? Even though I guess I'm going to control one county in that Jarldom still it seems? Kind of a mess.

Anyway, if I stab both of my 2 grandsons, will the Jarldom pass on to the granddaughters or will they go to my second son? Just wondering how many people I will have to stab and/or if there's an easier way to sort out this whole mess.

Are you gavelkind?

• Locked thread