Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Pompous douchebag Mark Steyn is in for Rush today. He just talked about how wonderful it is that the UK has van's roaming the streets hunting for illegal immigrants to deport. My mind immediately jumped to this scene from Dr Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

kik2dagroin posted:

Pompous douchebag Mark Steyn is in for Rush today. He just talked about how wonderful it is that the UK has van's roaming the streets hunting for illegal immigrants to deport. My mind immediately jumped to this scene from Dr Who.

Those vans have their loving work cut out for them considering almost 40% of London's residents are foreign-born (About 3.2 million people).

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
What's up with Fox making an absurd amount of basic reporting errors lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilpBeGbkUY0

It's like their sloppy fact-checking with editorial shows has pretty much seeped completely over into their most basic fact-checking capabilities. One wonders what their raison d'etre is if they can't even get these very basic things right. Then again, there are lots of people who eat McDonalds believing it to be food rather than filler...

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 21, 2013

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Slight derail here, but the Fox sports ticker during football on Sundays is inaccurate a lot too. It'll show scores that were accurate as of hours ago, or never even happened at all. Always gives me a chuckle.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Slight derail here, but the Fox sports ticker during football on Sundays is inaccurate a lot too. It'll show scores that were accurate as of hours ago, or never even happened at all. Always gives me a chuckle.

Lemme guess. The New York, Chicago and California teams are always getting their asses whipped by Texas teams, Jacksonville and the Tennessee Titans.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
New York doesn't need any spurious help with that.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spacedad posted:

It's like their sloppy fact-checking with editorial shows has pretty much seeped completely over into their most basic fact-checking capabilities. One wonders what their raison d'etre is if they can't even get these very basic things right. Then again, there are lots of people who eat McDonalds believing it to be food rather than filler...

Maybe it has something to do with all of their producers getting absurdly impractical computers and desks to work with, so they can be high-tech window dressing instead of actual reporters?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spacedad posted:

There's obviously more than one Atheist mole in the FOXhole than even they suspected... sabotaging The Message. :tinfoil:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I don't think I've seen this posted here yet:

quote:

On the blogs, the fight was particularly fierce. Fox PR staffers were expected to counter not just negative and even neutral blog postings but the anti-Fox comments beneath them. One former staffer recalled using twenty different aliases to post pro-Fox rants. Another had one hundred. Several employees had to acquire a cell phone thumb drive to provide a wireless broadband connection that could not be traced back to a Fox News or News Corp account. Another used an AOL dial-up connection, even in the age of widespread broadband access, on the rationale it would be harder to pinpoint its origins. Old laptops were distributed for these cyber operations. Even blogs with minor followings were reviewed to ensure no claim went unchecked. [Murdoch's World, pg. 67]

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/10/20/fox-news-reportedly-used-fake-commenter-account/196509

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

The way that's written it sounds like they were doing battle entirely in the RW blog world, which would make more sense and also probably be a big deal to them. Can't really tell though, they don't really elaborate if the blog posts were critical from the left or right.

If it was left I don't really see the point, what's the upside in a comment section battle at a place like media matters?

If it was from the right I could understand that they're protecting their reputation in crazytown and trying to keep traffic flowing.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 21, 2013

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

I think this belongs here, but Ann Coulter apparently had one of those AMA's on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/circlejerk/comments/1owm7r/i_am_ann_coulter_ama

Edit: Oh gently caress me, it's fake.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

New York doesn't need any spurious help with that.

Jacksonville does.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The way that's written it sounds like they were doing battle entirely in the RW blog world, which would make more sense and also probably be a big deal to them. Can't really tell though, they don't really elaborate if the blog posts were critical from the left or right.

If it was left I don't really see the point, what's the upside in a comment section battle at a place like media matters?

If it was from the right I could understand that they're protecting their reputation in crazytown and trying to keep traffic flowing.

I'm always surprised, shocked, and a bit happy when I read Freepers ripping on Fox News as "too Liberal". It's such a wacky POV, but I can see, now, how it could be widespread among the right wing sites. Since most of them are insane.

Isn't using sock puppets to counteract negative internet reputation/opinions fairly standard business tactic these days?

MadcapLaughs
Mar 17, 2007

Seven Force posted:

I think this belongs here, but Ann Coulter apparently had one of those AMA's on reddit:

She did do an AMA. It didn't go very well.

http://www.reddit.com/user/AnnCoulter_

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008
Out of curiosity, what is Megyn Kelly's new show like? I assume bad but less bad?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seven Force posted:

Well in all fairness, the fake AMA is more fun to read than the real one. At least fake-Ann actually answered some loving questions with real answers.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

Next up, pinch hitting for John McCain, it's Lindsey "The Dandy" Graham! That puts Lieberman on deck for next inning, for those of you keeping track at home.

Those three are like the geriatric Rat Pack of the Senate. Totally interchangeable and inseparable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Lieberman retired last year after realizing he'd pissed the people of Connecticut off enough that they probably weren't going to vote for him anymore. Now it's just McCain and Graham doing the Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin "Road to..." buddy comedy act--in that they go to exotic places together and everyone laughs at them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

redshirt posted:

I'm always surprised, shocked, and a bit happy when I read Freepers ripping on Fox News as "too Liberal". It's such a wacky POV, but I can see, now, how it could be widespread among the right wing sites. Since most of them are insane.

Isn't using sock puppets to counteract negative internet reputation/opinions fairly standard business tactic these days?

I'll tell you a secret; everything is always too liberal, all the time. It's an unending competition to see who can be the most conservative.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'll tell you a secret; everything is always too liberal, all the time. It's an unending competition to see who can be the most conservative.

It's really funny when some of them begin to get downright hipsterish in their conservatism. They'll either become Hans Herman Hoppe style honest-to-God monarchists, crypto-fascists in the style of Julius Evola (where everything is about repossessing the Divine Masculine or whatever the gently caress), or Christian Reconstructionists. You have to be an extremely nerdy conservative to reach any of these however, which is why many simply stop at run-of-the-will Objectivism or literal fascism.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Lieberman retired last year after realizing he'd pissed the people of Connecticut off enough that they probably weren't going to vote for him anymore. Now it's just McCain and Graham doing the Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin "Road to..." buddy comedy act--in that they go to exotic places together and everyone laughs at them.

Didn't they try to get Kelly Ayotte to be Dorothy Lamour or whoever? It wasn't a smash hit.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

MadcapLaughs posted:

She did do an AMA. It didn't go very well.

http://www.reddit.com/user/AnnCoulter_

That is an understatement. In reddit design, if posts receive enough down votes they are pushed off the page. Every response she gave and the thread got enough down votes that you cannot find it on the IAmA reddit.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

cymbalrush posted:

Out of curiosity, what is Megyn Kelly's new show like? I assume bad but less bad?

She tried to get Palin to shut up

quote:

And then locking up pipelines and resources that will result in us being more reliant on foreign imports for energy, and then of course he, having left behind, his administration having left behind our brave men in Benghazi to be murdered, and then of course there's Syria, where he promised to bomb Syria because in that civil war, Syria was going to bomb Syria, and then we never heard another word again about his threat to bomb in a foreign civil war, and then of course..."

What was the question?

Obama said the shutdown hurt Americas credibility

Her response to Palins stream of consciousness

quote:

"Listen, let me jump in!" she said. Palin kept talking. "Let me jump in!" Palin kept talking. "But I want to ask you a question governor!"

Here is the video

http://youtu.be/kdoFgAccqB0

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 22, 2013

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hannity had some dude on yesterday who's written a book about how "members of both parties" Democrats use Super PAC funds on things like vacations and lavish meals and poo poo. The guy's probably not wrong but it was hilarious listening Sean and his guest, representing the party of personal freedom and the idea that people should keep all their money and spend it however they want, whining and bitching about the ramifications of Citizens United (which, by the way, all GOP pundits staunchly supported at the time) and how money corrupts the political and democratic process.

It was pretty weird hearing them essentially wanting to get big money out of politics and finding myself actually agreeing with them but god drat, the irony of it all was too much.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Hannity had some dude on yesterday who's written a book about how "members of both parties" Democrats use Super PAC funds on things like vacations and lavish meals and poo poo. The guy's probably not wrong but it was hilarious listening Sean and his guest, representing the party of personal freedom and the idea that people should keep all their money and spend it however they want, whining and bitching about the ramifications of Citizens United (which, by the way, all GOP pundits staunchly supported at the time) and how money corrupts the political and democratic process.

It was pretty weird hearing them essentially wanting to get big money out of politics and finding myself actually agreeing with them but god drat, the irony of it all was too much.

My head nearly exploded when I saw that Palin had "written" something over at Breitbart about it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

The Rusty Humphrey (third tier Tea Party hack) show had a guest on who was like president of Citizens United and they spent the entire time talking about how great of an organization it was and how it was doing good for the country and spreading conservative ideals.

And they've been against "big money" ever since they decided Obama is friends with Wall Street. As soon as they get a Republican back in the presidency they'll be in favor of deregulating everything again.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

She tried to get Palin to shut up

What was the question?

Obama said the shutdown hurt Americas credibility

Her response to Palins stream of consciousness

Here is the video

http://youtu.be/kdoFgAccqB0

:stare: When she started talking about Syria... Jesus Christ... I mean, I know that Sarah Palin is more savvy than most liberals would like to give her credit for, but holy gently caress the words that came out of her mouth might as well have come out of a child's, that's just how ignorant they were.

I'm seriously starting to think Palin is some kind of super deep cover comedian. It's just mind boggling just how stupid the things she says are and the way she says them. It might as well be a child speaking.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 22, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
The folksiness is killing me. :psyduck: She's pretty much purestrain "gee golly willikers America sure is great!"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crasscrab posted:

:stare: When she started talking about Syria... Jesus Christ... I mean, I know that Sarah Palin is more savvy than most liberals would like to give her credit for, but holy gently caress the words that came out of her mouth might as well have come out of a child's, that's just how ignorant they were.

I'm seriously starting to think Palin is some kind of super deep cover comedian. It's just mind boggling just how stupid the things she says are and the way she says them. It might as well be a child speaking.

She's not more savvy than liberals give her credit for, if anything liberals give her too much credit. She's the avatar of the gross selfishness of the American right, a giggling huckster who's just smart enough to string along people even more politically and culturally clueless than she is by being a voice for their childish id and a body for their inverted wank fantasies. Ted Cruz is more savvy than liberals give him credit for, Sarah Palin is just as stupid as we all think that she is.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I mentioned it elsewhere but if that's the same Megyn Kelly show interview I think it is, the most disturbing part to me was how overjoyed she was about Americans being murdered in Benghazi. It's the famous Romney press conference picture come to life.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

She's not more savvy than liberals give her credit for, if anything liberals give her too much credit. She's the avatar of the gross selfishness of the American right, a giggling huckster who's just smart enough to string along people even more politically and culturally clueless than she is by being a voice for their childish id and a body for their inverted wank fantasies. Ted Cruz is more savvy than liberals give him credit for, Sarah Palin is just as stupid as we all think that she is.

Okay yeah this is true. I mean she's saavy in the sense that's she's very good at appealing to her target audience.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I mentioned it elsewhere but if that's the same Megyn Kelly show interview I think it is, the most disturbing part to me was how overjoyed she was about Americans being murdered in Benghazi.

She can't turn off the pep.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

That's pretty rich, coming from Hannity. That's exactly how he used the money from those charity concerts for wounded veterans a couple years ago.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/6938/

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, I know tons of people who are really drawn to her anti-intellectualism because they love an idea of "one of theirs" besting all those high falutin' liberal eggheads with "common sense". Sort of like Hank in the not-as-good episodes of King of the Hill.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Zeroisanumber posted:

The account in "Game Change" explored this pretty well. Essentially, she's a master of word salad. Her speaking impressed McCain's people so much that they thought she could light a fire under the rear end of their campaign and asked her to come on board very quickly. It soon became clear that she had no idea what kind of stress a VP candidate would have to endure, she had virtually no understanding of the world beyond Alaska, she was pretty clueless when it came to foreign affairs, and any attempt to coach her or give her reading materials on foreign policy caused her to shut down. Instead of trying to learn what she needed to, she would stare out the window, complain about being homesick, and coldly brush off campaign staff.

It's weird to think of a grown woman behaving this way, much less a woman who was governor of an entire state, so neither McCain nor his people had any reason to believe she was anything other than a fully qualified candidate with a charming persona.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fox news is making a big deal out of this during every news show they air:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Parent-Accuses-Football-Coaches-of-Bullying-After-91-0-Win-228712141.html

GRR, "WUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA!" "THE LOSS BUILT CHARACTER", etc. All typical conservative talking points being made.

Why is this a national news story?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

The account in "Game Change" explored this pretty well. Essentially, she's a master of word salad. Her speaking impressed McCain's people so much that they thought she could light a fire under the rear end of their campaign and asked her to come on board very quickly. It soon became clear that she had no idea what kind of stress a VP candidate would have to endure, she had virtually no understanding of the world beyond Alaska, she was pretty clueless when it came to foreign affairs, and any attempt to coach her or give her reading materials on foreign policy caused her to shut down. Instead of trying to learn what she needed to, she would stare out the window, complain about being homesick, and coldly brush off campaign staff.

It's weird to think of a grown woman behaving this way, much less a woman who was governor of an entire state, so neither McCain nor his people had any reason to believe she was anything other than a fully qualified candidate with a charming persona.

So who thought it would be a good idea to have a beauty queen as governor? I mean, granted its a state that is practically run by the federal government, but still.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Obama mentioned that his first impression of Palin was tinged with a certain amount of pity because he knew from personal experience that no one can just jump out of obscurity and run in a big-time national campaign. Obama said that he trained for four solid months with a host of different handlers and coaches to prepare himself, and he knew that Palin would either have to learn to sink or swim very quickly.

Unsurprisingly, even in the face of a relatively neutral-to-friendly media, a very supportive McCain team, and an adoring conservative base, she buckled like cheap steel under pressure.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FuzzySkinner posted:

Fox news is making a big deal out of this during every news show they air:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Parent-Accuses-Football-Coaches-of-Bullying-After-91-0-Win-228712141.html

GRR, "WUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA!" "THE LOSS BUILT CHARACTER", etc. All typical conservative talking points being made.

Why is this a national news story?

That is silly though. We had a couple seasons like that when I was in high school with 72-0 losses. Sometimes your team just sucks or there just happens to be a ridiculously over-talented team in your conference for a few years. Or because it's Texas those high schoolers are all in their early 20s.:v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crasscrab posted:

So who thought it would be a good idea to have a beauty queen as governor? I mean, granted its a state that is practically run by the federal government, but still.

She was mayor of a town with a very minimal town government and did ok there, and well it's not exactly like Alaska has a robust stable of elected politicians to choose from.

You've got 60 members across the two houses of the state legislature, and then the local governments of the about 20 places with more than 5,000 people. Then there's the other hundred or so incorporated places with less people but it's not like someone whose only experience is mayor of a 2000 person isolated town is going to go anywhere direct from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Crasscrab posted:

Palin is Andy Kaufman with a ton of hormones. Calling it now.