Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

http://www.cafepress.com/darksydephil.427894563

Mother fucker. I knew I'd regret taking a look at this individuals store when I saw he had a "merchandising" link on his banner thing. I'm tempted to buy one of these, address the package to the warden from "Anonymous", and put this under the staff Christmas tree we have at the prison that I work as a guard.

But gently caress if I'm actually PAYING for this, let alone $10.99 + shipping.

But at least Phil is patriotic! He says "gently caress China, my thongs are made in the good ol' U.S. of A!"

Actually, I doubt that even China would subject their children to being forced to make these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
CafePress is a website where any idiot can upload a .png file and they automatically put it on a bunch of products like T-Shirts, thongs, and mugs. It's not like he called up a bunch of thong manufacturers to make this.

Did you know that I'M A BELIEBER and RESISTANCE IS FUTILE?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Well, DSP underwear is the last thing I expected to see.

In Chuggaaconroy's Super Paper Mario videos he read out all the text until the finale where he stopped and just let the game speak for itself. So, he realizes that reading the dialog can detract from the experience but he does it anyway.
I just don't like how people feel that there's an obligation to do this stuff.

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 20, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

bobjr posted:

I honestly do wonder how a professional style interview with DSP would go, because I couldn't see him lasting 3 questions without him getting pissy over something.

"How am I supposed to know the answers to these questions?! You never said you'd be asking questions! This is bullshit!"

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
I personally don't mind text being read out loud; I usually have LPs on as background noise for work, so if there is Plot going on, I don't want to have to stop what I'm doing to read textboxes myself.

Silly voices I'm more borderline about, I think it depends on what mood I'm in. When I'm happy I'm more tolerant of it.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

JordanKai posted:

Game Grumps playing a game on the OUYA.

I've dealt with a lot of stupidity from these guys but I think this is the final straw. I'm unsubscribing. :newlol:

You're unsubscribing because they're playing the one game on the Ouya that's actually considered good?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

You're unsubscribing because they're playing the one game on the Ouya that's actually considered good?

You don't understand. They have touched an OUYA. They are now tainted.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
My god, I should have known. By tomorrow's episode, the transformation will be complete, and we'll hear two Julie Uhrmans talking about how great the Ouya 2 will be.

e: And they'll still get lost trying to play Sonic '06.

miscellaneous14 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 21, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I subscribed to them just to unsubscribe. No, wait, I'm an adult and I didn't do that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
A taste of what's to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSMGEa4gFnY

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I recommended Spooky a few pages back, and he's starting another LP right now, a Golgo 13 LP, in fact. Spooky is the chillest motherfucker ever.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This seems like such the typical Cage game. You get one, maybe two good sequences, like the surprisingly robust Carrie simulator here, and then the rest of the game is the most boring horseshit.

I hope they play the whole thing.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
That pseudo-dump of Long Live The Queen someone did reminded me of the BackwardCompatibles - they're a couple episodes into what I assume will be a single attempt at that game. They said at one point their job is making cosplay costumes, so if they're ever dressed up for videos/intros that's why.

I'm not exactly sure what you guys would think of them as they do sometimes flash to a facecam, and aren't usually super informative, but on the flip side Allison usually knows the game they're playing fairly well. They usually do one-offs though, not full LPs (plus other miscellaneous stuff).

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I think I've just found the dumbest facecam video ever. I found a facecam LP of a Cooking Mama game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTbppOi5Ae4

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I want that shirt he's wearing, though, wow

Dartigan
Oct 7, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

I think I've just found the dumbest facecam video ever. I found a facecam LP of a Cooking Mama game!

Why do these people always overact every little thing? They act impressed by everything that occurs in the game. The title screen pops up and you would think a miracle was just performed judging by the guys reaction.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Dartigan posted:

Why do these people always overact every little thing? They act impressed by everything that occurs in the game. The title screen pops up and you would think a miracle was just performed judging by the guys reaction.

I think there's a "me too!" kind of thing, at the core of it. Internet media, pretty much since its infancy with AVGN, has largely been characterized by loud, shouty overreaction. Some people make it work, and others see that and think "that's funny" and do it themselves, whether they're good at it or not. Reinforcing it is the fact that there's a certain writing style associated with geek and nerd culture, exemplified by things like Cracked and The Oatmeal, which tries to give a kind of grandiosity to every little thing ("Isn't that so loving cool!?!?!"), and the overreacting video persona is a kind of offshoot of that in some ways

Plus when you can't act the easiest way to pretend is to overreact

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Vicas posted:

Plus when you can't act the easiest way to pretend is to overreact

It's this in a nutshell, people thinking that volume is an effective substitute for personality. Like the self-professed "weird people" in high school who thought that going around reciting Monty Python quotes in a British accent and randomly shouting "Spork!" was the height of wit. In high school you can be forgiven for that because everyone in high school is a dumb rear end in a top hat. Some people never move on from that point, though.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
That thumbnail makes me irrationally angry for some reason. Then again nearly any video where the thumbnail has their "wacky" face plastered all over it is annoying to see. That's really the most pointless thing.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I agree that that's a huge factor, but I think the first paragraph I wrote provides an environment that encourages the behavior. It's so easy to find examples of successful people whose gimmick is mostly yelling, so it makes people think that'll get them more views as well. Sort of like how after That Guy With The Glasses got big there were a billion reviewers of incredibly niche media whose "shows" all had the exact same format (awful skits and all)

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I think the problem comes in three steps:

First, an LPer gets praise for whatever's genuinely unique about him ("You always sound so enthusiastic, I love it"). This is fine.

Second, that LPer realizes he can get more praise just by stepping it up, and up, and up; soon, it's become an expected gimmick ("If I don't talk like a game show host, people think I'm depressed; I guess this is what I do now"). This is...silly, but kind of human nature.

And third, new LPers see the end result of that echo chamber - a gimmicky, one-note character with a surprising follower count (because they came along for the whole ride and contributed to the problem, not because this mess is anything good) - and decide to imitate it from Day One, without the first guy's self-awareness about it. This is stupid.

Then that ridiculous baseline becomes their Step 1, and it gets even worse for the next 'generation'...

Sorites fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 21, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Vicas posted:

I agree that that's a huge factor, but I think the first paragraph I wrote provides an environment that encourages the behavior. It's so easy to find examples of successful people whose gimmick is mostly yelling, so it makes people think that'll get them more views as well. Sort of like how after That Guy With The Glasses got big there were a billion reviewers of incredibly niche media whose "shows" all had the exact same format (awful skits and all)

No, I agree that the echo chamber effect is definitely a part of it, but I somehow think that even without that environment we would still inevitably see people making LP videos featuring themselves spazzing out and shrieking because not everybody who does that needs encouragement to behave that way, that's just the way they are and the internet gives them a platform to be themselves in a way that they can't in their day-to-day life.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

miscellaneous14 posted:

I thought I was very clearly joking but I guess :newlol: doesn't mean the same thing to others as it does to me.

Bamboomancer
Oct 9, 2007
A druid of an "Asian" persuasion

IceAgeComing posted:

I may be in the minority here, but I don't think this was THAT bad. The voices and reactions were over the top, but there's clearly SOME effort here. There's sporadic editing, and the facecam is probably the least obtrusive facecam I've ever seen.

Does that make it good? No, not really. But it does show at least SOME potential, which I feel should be recognized.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I also guess of all games to face cam, Cooking Mama makes a lot of sense, if only for the "haha guys seriously does what I'm doing look anything like cooking" angle

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

It's one thing to do "goofy" voices, but it's another when you decide to film your face doing said voices it just makes you look really awkward. Wait a minute, the oddly shaped scarecam, the blurry footage that serves as a border, the jump cuts; is this the same guy featured in the latest Retsupurae video?

Edit: Going to his channel already answered my question.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 21, 2013

Yagyumi
Aug 26, 2013

Right! It's bonkin' time! I loves a bit of bonkin'!

Sorites posted:

Second, that LPer realizes he can get more praise just by stepping it up, and up, and up; soon, it's become an expected gimmick ("If I don't talk like a game show host, people think I'm depressed; I guess this is what I do now"). This is...silly, but kind of human nature.

I've seen so much evidence of relatively unknown LPers that get caught doing this in particular, and it's odd when you can tell right away it's not who they actually are. When you have somebody who is otherwise a reserved and quiet individual, and they switch personalities Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde style, it's uncomfortable at least, and borderline earache-inducing at worst.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Combat Lobster posted:

It's one thing to do "goofy" voices, but it's another when you decide to film your face doing said voices it just makes you look really awkward. Wait a minute, the oddly shaped scarecam, the blurry footage that serves as a border, the jump cuts; is this the same guy featured in the latest Retsupurae video?

...turns out it is! I'll give him a little credit; he seems to edit the location of the facecam so it doesn't block anything that happens in the game. The video in the Retsupurae is better because the guy literally edits out all the silence between him talking; to a much greater extent than he does in the Cooking Mama one. I'll link to the retsupurae, because it shows it off much better than me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EdXHMgeoVs

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 21, 2013

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Did I miss a video, or some back story, or is it just sheer luck that NintendoCapriSun hasn't been featured in RPs?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SelenicMartian posted:

Did I miss a video, or some back story, or is it just sheer luck that NintendoCapriSun hasn't been featured in RPs?

He's been mentioned in a RP, and that's about it from what I can remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpMUdQAFyaM&feature=player_detailpage - 4:48

Edit: \/\/\/ - SirRonLionHeart - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm1IBHlI-Og

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 21, 2013

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
So on the topic of goofy voices, what was the weirdest one that you've ever heard?

I wish I could find this video again but there was some guy that was doing a wacky clown voice. On all his videos.

It kind of blew my mind because I would never think the wacky clown voice as a selling point.

And I assume unless he got bitten by a radioactive clown, then he had to be purposely doing that voice as a selling point.

Are there some other crazy voices out there that I should experience at least once?

edit: ^^^^^

Hah, what voice is that? I guess, Triumph, the insult dog, and an Eastern European accent?

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 21, 2013

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

SirRonLionHeart always sounded like Enrique from King of the Hill finding his one true calling and I love it.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

IceAgeComing posted:

I think I've just found the dumbest facecam video ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1gZHqL8Hb4

We now live in a world with facecams without faces. (Though I'm fairly certain this is a contractual thing by the makers of Oculus Rift.)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Searching Google for Retsupurae Nintendocaprisun gets what I think is a recording of one of the livestreams they did a few years back where they riffed on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTXTBMd039o

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Sorites posted:

First, an LPer gets praise for whatever's genuinely unique about him ("You always sound so enthusiastic, I love it"). This is fine.

I was actually a bit concerned about this for my own LPs.

My first LP was Wolfenstein 2009, in which everyone agreed that my LP had gone from "good" to "amazing" in the 6th video when I got the Particle Cannon and proceeded to spend five minutes vaporizing Nazis while laughing maniacally. I was complimented for being one few people able to pull off a genuine maniacal laugh.

The problem: the game features several other spectacular weapons such as a Tesla Gun, flamethrower and and a plasma cannon that skeletonises people. When I get those weapons should I similarly go on a rampage and laugh maniacally? Is that gonna be "my thing"? I didn't want to start artificially forcing a sadistic insane persona to gain video views. Either the game actually makes me want to cackle like a madman, or it doesn't, I'm not going to force it.

Instead for the Tesla Gun I decided to go on a rampage while quipping a series of cheesy Schwarzenegger-style electricity gags (some of them my own, some of them inspired by Red Alert's Tesla Troopers). That also went down well. But for the flamethrower and skeltonising plasma cannon I decided to just do some montages of going on a rampage while accompanied by some appropriate music. Maybe I'd have gotten more comments or likes etc by acting mad or doing more bad one-liners but I knew that if I went down that road it would become expected from my audience.

Thankfully I've found the quiet chuckles I naturally make when incinerating or exploding enemies are enough to satisfy the expected sadism quota.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

Searching Google for Retsupurae Nintendocaprisun gets what I think is a recording of one of the livestreams they did a few years back where they riffed on him.
Odd. NCS alone probably could provide a season's worth of RP material, and seems self aware enough to take part in the riffing as a guest. He's not among the worst, and seems to learn from mistakes, but...
His early works include a 100-part camcorder LP of FF6, and, going by the playlist thumbnails, he stopped filming at an angle only in the last 6 videos or so.
He has a blind LP of some Pokemon and a solo LP of Mario Party 2.
His Yoshi's Story LP carries a high risk of giving you a lobotomy through incessant repetition of "So happy!".
When I last watched him (more than a year ago), the normal commentary included burping into the mike, reading all the texts, telling stories about his sister and his old jobs, and also picking a spot in the game and telling the viewer, that he would sleep there. I think, at some point he explained, that as a kid he used to sleep in front of his TV with a game running and his character just standing somewhere nice.

He may or may not cut out the "searching for collectibles" bits - usually he keeps them long enough for the boredom to creep in, and then cuts to reinforce the Stockholm Syndrome in the audience. 22 videos into the LP of the third SNES Donkey Kong game, which spontaneously turned into a semi-blind 100% run, he comments in the description:
"I'm starting to think maybe I'm showing too much of levels I've obviously already played so maybe in the future I'll try and cut back on that. The only tough part is figuring out where to cut the commentary if I happen to be on some subject and I'm just railing on it."

Sometimes I think he does it on purpose. The fans requested an LP of Donkey Kong 64 at one point, and for their sins he gave them one. It's a gem of droning. In the description to Part 3 out of 73 he wrote: "Man, this is already kinda painful to watch how slowly I wade through this stuff. I'm getting better though!"
Part 29: "Yet again we start wandering off the subject while mindlessly walking around this world, and I guess we get a banana at some point."
Part 68: "We have more than a few brain farts here, but progress is made.. somehow."
Even his N64 controllers tried to stop him from recording, through heroic suicide ad malfunctions.

Dartigan
Oct 7, 2013
I really wish the overreactions and 'funny' voices fad would die off. I mean look at some of pewdiepie's old videos. He didn't use to put on the act that he does now. Granted his vids still weren't that great back then either but they weren't obnoxious. He was just being himself but then he started putting on a weird accent and it got him a ton of views and there has been no looking back since.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SelenicMartian posted:

Even his N64 controllers tried to stop him from recording, through heroic suicide ad malfunctions.

Gotta love when hardware tries to kill your LP.

On another note, his Youtube Wikia page is really poorly formatted and has a collection of his "best lines" and "quotes." Read those if you are pretty ok with hating yourself and everyone around you.

http://youtube.wikia.com/wiki/NintendoCapriSun

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Read those if you are pretty ok with hating yourself and everyone around you.

http://youtube.wikia.com/wiki/NintendoCapriSun

Oh, the first paragraph is already a :siren:

quote:

a popular Let's Player on YouTube, best known for his bathroom humor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
I seem to recall NCS making a brief impromptu cameo in an Retsutalk with ProtonJon.

• Locked thread