Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Octy posted:

Care to give more of a write-up about this? Greco-Roman religion is something I'm only vaguely knowledgeable about and its origins I'm even less aware of.

Sorry, I'd be flattering myself if I claimed to be even amateur in this.

I can tell you that Greco-Roman religion originates from Proto-Indo-European religion. Romans were heavily influenced by Etruscan religion (e.g., the Etruscan Vortumnia becoming the Roman Fortuna), but Etruscans were also apparently influenced by Proto-Indo-European religion, most obviously through their chief deity Tinia. PIE religion, at least its pantheon, has been reconstructed through linguistic analysis. The most notable PIE deity is Dyēus ph2ter, "Sky Father", from whom Jupiter, Zeus, and others, including the Devas, are derived. The influence of Deus Pater, or at least his name, has obviously been strong: he figures into non-PIE languages too, e.g. Finnish taivas ("sky"). Other examples include the Greek Eos and Hestia and the Roman Aurora and Vesta, who are all related to the same PIE deity. Of course, not all deities match perfectly, and usually the connections are merely linguistic. Another PIE deity, Perkunos, is merely the demigod Perseus in Greek mythology despite being a central figure in slavic mythology as Perun (the root being the PIE word for "strike, ravage"). Another example is Dyēus ph2ter naming an entire class of deities, the Devas, or both actually being named after the PIE word for "sky". When Greeks and Romans sought for counterparts for their deities in other pantheons, they could sometimes find essentially the same deities. But they didn't look for them in just Indo-European religions: the Greeks identified the Egyptian Thoth with Hermes, after all.

The "Dispater = Sky Father" theory is from Barry Cunliffe, if I remember correctly. He attests that as the Gauls spoke an Indo-European language, their chief deity was most likely Dyēus ph2ter. The name of Gaulic Dyēus ph2ter was probably so close to the original that the Romans mistook it for Dispater, a chtonic god of riches.

e: VVVVV It's supposed to be in subscript, but SA's browser kind of mangles it in quotation. "h2" is a phoneme in PIE, but I'm not sure how to type it on SA.

(If you want to pronounce it, I'm told that it's similar to the Arabic Muhammad).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What the heck is that 2 doing in ph2ter.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am curious too, only time I've seen that is for tone markers but I'm reasonably sure Indo-European never had tones.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It's the way PIE laryngeals get differentiated. We don't know how these sounded, but we do know that the different ones became separate sounds in subsequent languages, so they may have been separate sounds back in the day.

Edit: have a thing that knows more about it than I do.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

This thread is becoming schizophrenic in the jumping between Greece/Rome and China/Japan. I would suggest that someone start an "Ask me about totally sweet ancient Asian history" thread. There is enough material to warrant its own thread and would be easier to follow.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It doesn't fall neatly into European and Middle Eastern eras, either, really.

I would also like to see Arglebargle's China posts continue through more of history. :allears:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

rzeszowianin 44 posted:

This thread is becoming schizophrenic in the jumping between Greece/Rome and China/Japan. I would suggest that someone start an "Ask me about totally sweet ancient Asian history" thread. There is enough material to warrant its own thread and would be easier to follow.

The first Qin empire was led to ruin by Marius whose reforms brought about the start of the Romance of the Third Century.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

rzeszowianin 44 posted:

Eh, I feel like the Asian one would die out on its own. Better to keep it schitzo than dead.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
A little variety is good for the thread I think. There's a few things that do keep being asked though, which I wonder if we wouldn't be better off putting in the OP(Christianity/Fall of the Empire/Empire Successors mostly).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Speaking of switching between Asian and Greco-Roman history, I think the most frequently asked question is the one about contact between classical Rome and China.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

Speaking of switching between Asian and Greco-Roman history, I think the most frequently asked question is the one about contact between classical Rome and China.

As is often the case, the best starting point is already covered by my girlfriend, Ms. Pedia.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

veekie posted:

A little variety is good for the thread I think. There's a few things that do keep being asked though, which I wonder if we wouldn't be better off putting in the OP(Christianity/Fall of the Empire/Empire Successors mostly).

Yeah, I don't mind jumping back and forth. It's all interesting to me.

And I'd love an FAQ for the OP. I'm new to the thread, so that would benefit me (and, by extension, everybody else, as it would prevent me from re-hashing old topics).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

homullus posted:

As is often the case, the best starting point is already covered by my girlfriend, Ms. Pedia.
I wasn't asking, I was just pointing out that a lot of people have asked about that topic over the course of this thread.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
We just need someone with a lot of time on their hands one day to go through the entire thread and categorize and link discussions going on through it.

And I'd like to think there'd be enough interest in an Asia history thread for it to stay afloat; we've had one on Mesoamerican history that's at least not died for like a year or something. I like reading about Asian history here but it'd be nice to have more discussions on it that aren't just in relation to Western Eurasia.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cheerfullydrab posted:

I wasn't asking, I was just pointing out that a lot of people have asked about that topic over the course of this thread.

To be honest, I myself was like this close to it, but realized that that information was probably readily available on the internet already and was planning to google it first.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A FAQ would be cool but I no longer have a job where I gently caress around on a computer half the day, so I don't really have the time. If anybody's bored enough to find posts I'll definitely stick it in the OP.

I'm okay with jumping around all things ancient or if anyone wants to start an Asian history thread. Someone could start one for non-ancient Asia anyway. Someone not me, since I don't know enough to do that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I already said though I don't wanna be the guy that does an ancient Chinese history thread. I don't have a degree or anything. I may be posting about it here but I have less that two pages of posts in this thread, I don't think I would keep a whole thread afloat. I also think it's better to have a thread that jumps around a bit than a living thread and a DOA thread.

Besides, this thread is technically the Roman/Greek/totally sweet ancient history. I think we can squeak under the bar with totally sweet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah me too. But since it's ancient I want to generally limit to before around 500 AD. Obviously that has not at all been a strict rule and it won't be but if anyone wants to talk Asian history after that, feel free to go for a thread.

And yeah I'm using 476 as my declaration of the end of ancient history for convenience's sake. :colbert:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Grand Fromage posted:

And yeah I'm using 476 as my declaration of the end of ancient history for convenience's sake. :colbert:

You mother fucker.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh man I am going to bankrupt the empire to get you to change your mind :argh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Who am I to fight against convention. Few Roman historians consider it the end of the empire, but it's a convenient break point for late antiquity/middle ages, rather than the nebulous "somewhere in the 600s" for when the economy goes to poo poo and the senate stops meeting and Roman culture really starts dying in the west.

joxxuh
May 20, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Who am I to fight against convention. Few Roman historians consider it the end of the empire, but it's a convenient break point for late antiquity/middle ages, rather than the nebulous "somewhere in the 600s" for when the economy goes to poo poo and the senate stops meeting and Roman culture really starts dying in the west.

I didn't know the senate went on meeting into the 600s, that's really cool. Seems like that would go far to explain why deposing the last western emperor was not seen as such a great catastrope by his contemporaries.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

joxxuh posted:

I didn't know the senate went on meeting into the 600s, that's really cool. Seems like that would go far to explain why deposing the last western emperor was not seen as such a great catastrope by his contemporaries.

Yep. For most of the west Roman culture went on more or less uninterrupted into the 600s, but then things began to change radically as the Roman trade economy in the west died off. We don't know many details because of the lack of written sources--the reason the term Dark Ages began is that we have very little in the form of written history from that era, so our information is very sketchy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The senate was more of a municipal body by then anyway. They lost all influence over imperial matters sometime around Domitian.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I've always tended to go with the rise of the Arabs as a good starting point of the "Medieval" era, mostly because that's where Larry Gonick started his third volume in his world history series.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

joxxuh posted:

Rome still had a Senate till that late, yes. They were even more prominent during German and Gothic rule than they had been since the 3rd century.

Also the Roman Emperor had direct control of Rome after Justinian until the late 8th century. The Emperor ruled through the Exarch at Ravenna and through the Pope. Popes had to have the approval of the Emperor. Most of them were from areas of the Eastern Mediterranean. There was Imperial control over all kinds of specific things in Italy. Pope Martin I had himself seated without approval and was arrested in Rome, tried in Constantinople, and exiled to the Crimea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Papacy

But again, a Roman Empire, ruling over Rome, just isn't considered Roman after 476.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

You've fought the good fight in enough posts and I won't direct any animosity towards you. How do you like 395, the death of Theodosius I, as the end of the classical period?

Theodosius presided over a lot of the destruction of old pagan traditions. No more Olympic games, no more Vestal Virgins. He presided over the promulgation of the Nicene Creed as the standard of Orthodoxy and the institution of Christianity as the mandatory state religion. His death caused the last large split of the Empire.

That's personally where I would place the dividing line between the classical phase and whatever sort of periods you want to define afterward.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

You've fought the good fight in enough posts and I won't direct any animosity towards you. How do you like 395, the death of Theodosius I, as the end of the classical period?

Theodosius presided over a lot of the destruction of old pagan traditions. No more Olympic games, no more Vestal Virgins. He presided over the promulgation of the Nicene Creed as the standard of Orthodoxy and the institution of Christianity as the mandatory state religion. His death caused the last large split of the Empire.

That's personally where I would place the dividing line between the classical phase and whatever sort of periods you want to define afterward.

Stopping at 395 still ignores the next 70-80 years where the Western empire accelerates towards collapse. It also falls short of the first sack of Rome in 800 years.

It just goes to show that you can't really make neat and tidy dividing lines for major eras in history. But you can argue all you want.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Thwomp posted:

Stopping at 395 still ignores the next 70-80 years where the Western empire accelerates towards collapse. It also falls short of the first sack of Rome in 800 years.

It just goes to show that you can't really make neat and tidy dividing lines for major eras in history. But you can argue all you want.

500, on the basis that it ends with a zero and makes things tidy chronologically.

I think that is a better reason then a lot of the others.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Basically this. There are very few clean breaks you can point to in history. This is definitely not one of them, there are convincing arguments to put the end of the empire in the west anywhere from like 200 AD to the 800s. At some point you just pick something for convenience.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
See hearing people say that 'Rome' ended in 300 and whatever CE really puts my perspective out of whack since I haven't seriously studied anything after the 1st century BCE.

(mostly because Ancient Greece > Rome)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rome ended in season 2 and it's NOT FAIR! :argh:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Rome ended in season 2 and it's NOT FAIR! :argh:

Much better it finish than continue with the crap they stuck in with Octavian and the new actor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm pretty sure they put it into fast-forward so that it would end at all, hence Octavian's new actor and accelerating from 1-2 months per episode to years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The murder of Caesar and the death of Antonius & Cleopatra are the two highlights, and they did those well. 300 years of gradual evolution into a Christian Empire does not have the same . . . dramatic points. Marcus Aurelius kicking rear end on the frontier and maybe the psychodrama of Hadrian would be ok tv.

Going back in time would have been cool. The tragedy of the Gracchi maybe or the war between Marius and Sulla. Marius and Sulla doesnt really have a dramatic end though. Marius dies of old age and Sulla retires to the coast.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 23, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm pretty sure they put it into fast-forward so that it would end at all, hence Octavian's new actor and accelerating from 1-2 months per episode to years.

Yes, originally it was going to be five seasons. They cut out the Jesus stuff that would've been big in season 5, and pushed 2, 3, and 4 together into 2.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like how Lucius name-dropped the Gracchi at one point and Titus was just like "who?" because it was already history.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

euphronius posted:

The murder of Caesar and the death of Antonius & Cleopatra are the two highlights, and they did those well. 300 years of gradual evolution into a Christian Empire does not have the same . . . dramatic points. Marcus Aurelius kicking rear end on the frontier and maybe the psychodrama of Hadrian would be ok tv.

Going back in time would have been cool. The tragedy of the Gracchi maybe or the war between Marius and Sulla. Marius and Sulla doesnt really have a dramatic end though. Marius dies of old age and Sulla retires to the coast.

It could have worked well as a serial, with each season covering a dramatic period of history, and not necessarily being tied to the one before it in any significant way.

The "Octavian is played by a new actor but everyone else looks the same age" part was...jarring at first, I'll admit, but I dunno, I grew to like that actor. He played "cold and heartless" very well. I don't know enough about the real Augustus to say whether or not that was accurate but it worked for dramatic purposes I thought. And it would have been weird to have Augustus be played by an actor as young as young Octavian, even if he was very good.

While we're talking about the HBO show, did anyone feel that the story arc with Timon and his brother in season 2 felt a little unnecessary? It didn't really have anything to do with anything else. Maybe it was going to come up again with the Jesus stuff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ainsley McTree posted:

While we're talking about the HBO show, did anyone feel that the story arc with Timon and his brother in season 2 felt a little unnecessary? It didn't really have anything to do with anything else. Maybe it was going to come up again with the Jesus stuff.

It seemed like they were going to try to take it somewhere, then decided to kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was cool at least to see how lower-class, immigrant minorities existed in Rome.