Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have chimney starter, but who subscribes to printed newspapers anymore? I don't even get any free crappy ones in the mail anymore. I'm not joking here, I've gone back to starter fluid on my charcoal.

As for whiskey, I actually really like how the drink mellows a bit as a drink. It'll be long gone by the time the ice fully melts, anyway.

I'm a monster that doesn't bring canvas bags to the grocer. My butcher, at least, still has brown paper bags. There is also a free newspaper around here that I always grab.

I used the whiskey stones that I was given as a gift once. Meh. It's been suggested that they'd be OK in a drink you really do want neat -like a manhattan or a martini. But yeah, you're just drinking too slow if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Flaggy posted:

Whats the general consensus on whiskey stones? I know they drop the whiskey down a few degrees without watering it down, but what about say a gin and tonic? Are they worth while to replace ice? Is there a suitable replacement for ice so drinks don't get watered down?

Use more gin and the watering down effect is less noticeable

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The problem I had with whiskey stones is the same problem I had with those water-filled plastic ice cubes. Their selling point is that once they melt they don't dilute your drink, but that once the outside of the plastic ice cube has transferred its coldness to your drink it is no longer cooling it. The ice inside the plastic is still freezing cold, but then that's transferring its coldness to the plastic shell and not to your drink. At least with an ice cube (or something else that melts) the coldest part is always in direct contact with your drink.

Flaggy posted:

Whats the general consensus on whiskey stones? I know they drop the whiskey down a few degrees without watering it down, but what about say a gin and tonic? Are they worth while to replace ice? Is there a suitable replacement for ice so drinks don't get watered down?

For gin and tonic try putting your glass in the freezer for half an hour first

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 21, 2013

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of tonic, what are some non-alcoholic ways I can drink some that doesn't taste terrible? My doctor told me to drink it and I have tried it plain and with some of those squirt flavor additives and I can't stand the stuff.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flaggy posted:

If you're serious about drinking whiskey you need to get one of these.

dalstrs posted:

Speaking of tonic, what are some non-alcoholic ways I can drink some that doesn't taste terrible? My doctor told me to drink it and I have tried it plain and with some of those squirt flavor additives and I can't stand the stuff.

Do you have malaria?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

No malaria, but the quinine is supposed to help with restless leg syndrome. Funny enough I am on an anti-malaria drug for other reasons. I guess it's good if I ever decide to go to Africa.

Edit: poo poo, now that I am reading more about it, I'm not so sure I want to take it.

dalstrs fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 21, 2013

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have chimney starter, but who subscribes to printed newspapers anymore? I don't even get any free crappy ones in the mail anymore. I'm not joking here, I've gone back to starter fluid on my charcoal.

As for whiskey, I actually really like how the drink mellows a bit as a drink. It'll be long gone by the time the ice fully melts, anyway.

I use junk mail and bills and "art" my kid brings home from preschool, (gently caress off I have 900 pictures of tornados. How many should I keep?) but yea lack of newspaper is a problem now a days.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sometimes I use a few paper towels that I've poured oil onto to light my coals. The oil burns really well and there's probably less ash than the paper method. On the other hand, oil tends to drip a little bit, so be careful.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Part of making cocktails is the dilution of water due to the melting of the ice when crafting the drink. People who think that getting rid of the water dilution is a thing to desire don't know how to cocktail correctly.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'm going to a "redneck potluck" themed murder mystery dinner party for Halloween (there's a sentence I never thought I'd write...). I have no idea what to bring. The host says he wants cheap and trashy (Cheez Whiz on Ritz crackers was his example), but I want to bring something that is legitimately tasty, not just part of the joke.

Any recommendations?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

I'm going to a "redneck potluck" themed murder mystery dinner party for Halloween (there's a sentence I never thought I'd write...). I have no idea what to bring. The host says he wants cheap and trashy (Cheez Whiz on Ritz crackers was his example), but I want to bring something that is legitimately tasty, not just part of the joke.

Any recommendations?

Frito pie?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RazorBunny posted:

Any recommendations?

You could probably dress up pigs in a blanket a bit, nicer sausage, puff pastry, etc into something pretty nice?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

RazorBunny posted:

Any recommendations?

If you can get it cheap Rabbit, or you could get mustard greens and turnip greens, and cook them lightly in bacon grease.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I can't count on being able to find rabbit, it's really hit or miss around here. I cook greens in bacon grease all the time ;) I do like the pigs in a blanket idea! I might do both that and the greens.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Any recommendations?

Get some cans of sterno and hunt up some squirrels (or just get something that looks like squirrel and say it's squirrel -small rabbits, for instance) and roast them and put them on a spit over the sterno.

edit: This also happens to be the best time of year for squirrel. Just buy a pellet gun and go get some bushy-tails.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 21, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

Any recommendations?

make modernist mac and cheese. It will have the texture of bluebox but taste like omgawesome.

Maybe dress up some mormon hotdish. Braised chuck (ground beef), shiitake bechamel (cream of mushroom soup), butter seared gnocchi (tater tots), deep fried crispy peas (frozen peas).

or go old school lowbrow food and bring some cassoulet or pot au feu.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

make modernist mac and cheese. It will have the texture of bluebox but taste like omgawesome.
I need this.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

do it! it's seriously stupid easy. You can also use the same technique to make classy nacho cheese sauce. or kraft* singles style cheese for grilled cheese/cheeseburgers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Better:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f0b6/

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

do it! it's seriously stupid easy. You can also use the same technique to make classy nacho cheese sauce. or kraft* singles style cheese for grilled cheese/cheeseburgers.

How would I go about making this?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Senior Scarybagels posted:

How would I go about making this?

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sodium-citrate-creates-silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

You can substitute any cheeses you want. The idea is that you use sodium citrate to acidify the mixture and allows you to directly add cheese to a liquid and prevent the emulsion from breaking. The result is a cheese sauce that has no flour, no extra liquid, and is mostly cheese.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/mac-cheese-recipe-modernist-cuisine/story?id=13926126

Other renditions of the same recipe adds iota carrageenan. This hydrocolloid is useful for turning the sauce into a heat reversible gel (namely for molding and slicing the sauce a la kraft singles). If you just want to make it into a sauce, this ingredient isn't really necessary.

You can also add things like jalapenos to make it into nacho cheese sauce, etc.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I made that for the first time last week with beecher's cheese. Fuckin' owns so hard.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sodium-citrate-creates-silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

You can substitute any cheeses you want. The idea is that you use sodium citrate to acidify the mixture and allows you to directly add cheese to a liquid and prevent the emulsion from breaking. The result is a cheese sauce that has no flour, no extra liquid, and is mostly cheese.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/mac-cheese-recipe-modernist-cuisine/story?id=13926126

Other renditions of the same recipe adds iota carrageenan. This hydrocolloid is useful for turning the sauce into a heat reversible gel (namely for molding and slicing the sauce a la kraft singles). If you just want to make it into a sauce, this ingredient isn't really necessary.

You can also add things like jalapenos to make it into nacho cheese sauce, etc.

Thanks a lot these are gonna be thoroughly useful.

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

Any recommendations?

Here's the cake I made when I was invited to a redneck-themed party. :3:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I want to make some chicken or pork adobo this week, was going to try this recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/05/classic-chicken-adobo-adobo-road-cookbook.html

any suggested tweaks?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I want to make some chicken or pork adobo this week, was going to try this recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/05/classic-chicken-adobo-adobo-road-cookbook.html

any suggested tweaks?

yes, marinate the chicken in the soy/vinegar over night. brown the garlic in the oil and sear off the chicken. Add the marinade and braise. Adobo is a very very wide class of dishes in filipino cuisine and you can make all kinds of variations from adding coconut milk (ginataang adobong manok) http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Ginataang_Adobong_Manok_(Coconut_Milk_Adobo) to doing it with braised pork, draining it, then grilling it. or catfish, or shrimp.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Basic_Chicken_Adobo

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

dalstrs posted:

No malaria, but the quinine is supposed to help with restless leg syndrome. Funny enough I am on an anti-malaria drug for other reasons. I guess it's good if I ever decide to go to Africa.

Edit: poo poo, now that I am reading more about it, I'm not so sure I want to take it.
Bitter melon is full of quinine. If there are any non-fast food Chinese places near you, chances are you'll be able to find dishes containing bitter melon on the menu. Or on the alternate menu they keep that's not in English.

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can substitute any cheeses you want. The idea is that you use sodium citrate to acidify the mixture and allows you to directly add cheese to a liquid and prevent the emulsion from breaking.
As a technical quibble, sodium citrate acts primarily (in this context) as a chelating agent, binding with calcium in the cheese, which assists in breaking up long-rear end hydrocarbons into smaller bits. It is also a buffering agent, and the water-cheese-sodium citrate mixture will not be appreciably acidic. Indeed, if you add too much sodium citrate the solution will end up alkaline, as sodium citrate itself is basic.

SubG fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 21, 2013

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

SubG posted:

Bitter melon is full of quinine. If there are any non-fast food Chinese places near you, chances are you'll be able to find dishes containing bitter melon on the menu. Or on the alternate menu they keep that's not in English.

As a technical quibble, sodium citrate acts primarily (in this context) as a chelating agent, binding with calcium in the cheese, which assists in breaking up long-rear end hydrocarbons into smaller bits. It is also a buffering agent, and the water-cheese-sodium citrate mixture will not be appreciably acidic. Indeed, if you add too much sodium citrate the solution will end up alkaline, as sodium citrate itself is basic.

Nope. I've been using it for a few weeks now and I'm pretty sure it is a magical powder that lets sub-par cooks make perfect cheese liquid because because of God or something like that. It really is awesome, unless you are really a big fan of creamy white sauce with vague cheese flavor.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Use it to make an Alfredo style sauce. Rules so hard.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Alton Brown uses those cheap water balloons. It's effective, and easy to do.

Old Style Pilsner
Feb 14, 2012
I'm looking for a good recipe for a pie crust, specifically to be used for meat pies. I have a nice recipe for dessert pies, bit it is far too rich for something gravy-laden and doesn't hold as much rigidity as I like.
I was looking through the Joy of Cooking and found one, but haven't been able to find it again since.

This pie in particular will be chicken pot, but if I could just as easily throw a thick stew in there that would be rad. Will post pics upon completion.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

BraveUlysses posted:

I made that for the first time last week with beecher's cheese. Fuckin' owns so hard.

n'thing. Made it using Gruyere and it was the loving business. Tried the Stilton variation, wife loved it but it was too strong for me.

While that is undeniably awesome, you don't get the sweet transparent iceball if you freeze using a mould. Just a bigass round ice cube. Whether that's worth an extra seven hundred bucks...

The place across the road from me makes absinthe spheres for their Sazerac. As it melts, it changes the flavour profile of the drink. It's pretty gangster.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 22, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Old Style Pilsner posted:

I'm looking for a good recipe for a pie crust, specifically to be used for meat pies.
I usually go with a basic pâte brisée for savory pies. About 12 oz/340 g AP flour, 8 oz butter that's malleable but still cold, and about 1 tsp salt. Cut the butter into small cubes---call it about half a cm a side. Put the flour on your work surface in a pile, then make a dent in it (like you're making a volcano). Put some of the butter into the dent, push some flour onto it, and press down to flatten the butter, and repeat the process. The gimmick here is that you're trying to build laminations with the butter, and that's why it works better to do this by hand than in a food processor (which works fine for something like a scone). When you've got all the butter in there, start drizzing some ice cold water onto the mixture, just a little at a time. As you work, fold in from the sides to the centre---again, you're trying to keep it so the butter is pounded flat, and all the flat bits are basically parallel to each other, if that makes sense. Keep adding water until it feels like a pie crust dough, figure around 4 tbsp or so, but really just do it by feel.

When it feels right, sorta shape it until a rough disc on parchment or plastic wrap. Don't actually try to roll it out, just do the kind of preliminary shaping you'd do before rolling it out. Put it in the fridge or freezer until it's chilled through again. You're basically just trying to make sure the butter isn't melting as you're working it.

When it's chilled, roll it out. You can now put it in your pie pan. If you're planning on making a top crust as well you can just roll out the rough shape. Put the dough in the freezer for an hour or two until it's cold through. You can blind bake the crust straight out of the freezer.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I like making lime cilantro rice for burritos. Half a cup of lime juice, some cilantro from the little tube, toss it in the pressure cooker, whisk it all together, and set it. Turns out great! About half the time. Half the time, it turns out fine, and half the time, it's kind of...gummy, and mooshy. Still tastes fine, especially once you've piled on meat and black beans, but it's weird. I make it the same every time. Any ideas as to what it is?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Rinse your rice first to remove the excess starch. Run cold water over it until the water runs mostly clear.

Edit: Obviously, use a mesh colander. :j:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

BrosephofArimathea posted:

While that is undeniably awesome, you don't get the sweet transparent iceball if you freeze using a mould. Just a bigass round ice cube. Whether that's worth an extra seven hundred bucks...

You can get a more transparent ice if you use distilled water and boil it before freezing it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
Rinse your rice first to remove the excess starch. Run cold water over it until the water runs mostly clear.

Edit: Obviously, use a mesh colander. :j:

Can do. Is it something about the lime juice that's doing it? My rice never comes out this mushy when I make regular white rice.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Can do. Is it something about the lime juice that's doing it? My rice never comes out this mushy when I make regular white rice.
Any reason you can't toss it through at the end? Throw the rice in to cook as you normally would. Then, in a separate tiny pot, heat some oil, add some garlic and/or scallion, and sautee until they're softened. Add the cilantro paste as usual, and turn off the heat. You'll get an intense cilantro flavour. This is good! It means you can use less. Then, add your lime juice, salt, and pepper as desired. When the rice is done, dump it onto a cookie sheet, or large plate, and let it cool off slightly. Toss on about 1/2 of your cilantro/lime mixture, and toss to combine. Taste for seasoning, and add more as necessary. The beauty of making the flavour mix separately is that you can cook your rice and have it not be mushy. Then, when you add the seasoning at the end, you get a much bigger hit of taste than if you would have cooked it all together.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How long can you keep dough in the fridge? I've had a ball of pizza dough cold ferementing for about a week and a half, my instinct is it's fine (doesn't smell, no visible mold) but I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It's fine though the yeast may be sluggish. I would use it as a starter for a bigger batch.