Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

This game isn't fun anymore :smith: I just got my first eclipse in 30 hours of playing time and I got two banners, bat wing, a sickle, a moon charm, but no loving hero sword. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Just give yourself one with an inventory manager.

Lblitzer posted:

I've never really played this game before, but don't really want to play solo. I'd love to Mumble with goons and play together and get some fresh tips.

What's your Steam name?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Hummingbirds posted:

This game isn't fun anymore :smith: I just got my first eclipse in 30 hours of playing time and I got two banners, bat wing, a sickle, a moon charm, but no loving hero sword. gently caress.

Anatharon posted:

Just give yourself one with an inventory manager.
I have an extra one. Let's pretend like we went through the effort of getting a multiplayer session together and I gave it to you. Because I really would have-- they're useless after the terra blade is done.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

The Leper Colon V posted:

All your problems except getting impaled by unicorns.

It costs like 2 plat and you have to kill plantera, but the witch doctor gear shits all over unicorns. They come charging over a hill or whatever and don't even hit the ground before the firing squad finishes them off :allears:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

True pain is farming Lizhards for energy cells to farm Golem for another picksaw. It took I think 2? Hours to get 2 of them for me and my friend in our multiplayer world.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I've just activated hardmode for the first time (and I've had Terraria since launch!) and I was all pumped for the Hallow, but it spawned right under my floating snow fortress (which I built on stone blocks just above some water). So now there's pink ice and pearlstone randomly sprinkled around, but no Hallow spawns. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is it just me or does it seem like most of the best potions use Daybloom as ingredients? I'm always running low on them, even with a farm.

Harlock posted:

True pain is farming Lizhards for energy cells to farm Golem for another picksaw. It took I think 2? Hours to get 2 of them for me and my friend in our multiplayer world.

It's easier to just get a bunch of keys from Plantera and get energy cells from other worlds.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
talking about plantera and keys, the jungle temple dungeon does spawn in every world, right?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

King Doom posted:

talking about plantera and keys, the jungle temple dungeon does spawn in every world, right?

Yes. A boss is associated with it - it has to spawn.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

King Doom posted:

Yes it does. If you can't find yours just keep looking, jungles are deceptively large and the temple is harder to find than you would expect.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I've been looking for the best part of a week. Large world jungle covers roughly a thirds of the entire map.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

King Doom posted:

Yes, but some worlds' jungle temple do not spawn with an Altar. It's frustrating.

(I ended up TEdit-ing one into one of the Lizhard chests and then plopped it down at the end of the temple.)

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Anatharon, do you've a server running?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

King Doom posted:

I've been looking for the best part of a week. Large world jungle covers roughly a thirds of the entire map.

Don't play singleplayer on large worlds. They're too loving big for one person.

Seriously, this should be in giant flashing text at the top of the OP. Someone complains about large worlds being a pain in the rear end every other page it seems.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

President Ark posted:

Don't play singleplayer on large worlds. They're too loving big for one person.

Seriously, this should be in giant flashing text at the top of the OP. Someone complains about large worlds being a pain in the rear end every other page it seems.

Yeah, I made a large world when Terraria first came out before I knew better. Small worlds have the same amount of goodies as large worlds, just denser.

I'm finding my ideal way of playing is having a main base on a normal Small world, then generating additional small world for exploration/gathering as needed, converting some of them to hard mode etc. I feel this style of play will also get me ready for Starbound, since multiple planets is kind of that game's thing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I play in a large world and I find it fine. I like having large environments to explore.

And yet it still doesn't seem large enough to actually spawn pink prickly pears. I want my dyes, damnit.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I play in a large world and I find it fine. I like having large environments to explore.

And yet it still doesn't seem large enough to actually spawn pink prickly pears. I want my dyes, damnit.

Large worlds don't actually have more stuff in them. They have the same amount of resources, chests, biomes, etc.; they're just more spread out. All you gain on a large world is taking longer to traverse the surface and having to dig through three times as much stone/dirt/mud/whatever to reach anything interesting.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

President Ark posted:

Large worlds don't actually have more stuff in them. They have the same amount of resources, chests, biomes, etc.; they're just more spread out. All you gain on a large world is taking longer to traverse the surface and having to dig through three times as much stone/dirt/mud/whatever to reach anything interesting.

Well, they do, technically. In the case I'm complaining about a large world means bigger/more deserts, means more cacti, which means more chances to spawn the pink pears (they grow like flowers). And yet I've seen a total of one.

Heck, I'd contend that they have more stuff in all cases, just not a "more" proportional to the size of the world. A Small world has two or three floating islands, a Large world has four to six. Chests seem to occur with about the same frequency, so there's more of them. The Dungeon/Jungle/Underworld are bigger, so also have more chances for their various spawns to appear (barring unique things like the biome chests). Pretty sure large worlds have more living trees, too. The only things that probably are the same in different world sizes are the oceans, and things that are spawned in after the world is generated (hardmode ores, Plantera bulbs, and the like).

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 21, 2013

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

President Ark posted:

Large worlds don't actually have more stuff in them. They have the same amount of resources, chests, biomes, etc.; they're just more spread out.

I don't think this is true anyway. There's definitely more chests in large worlds and I'm pretty sure there's more ore too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RatHat posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the best potions use Daybloom as ingredients? I'm always running low on them, even with a farm.
Daybloom is definitely the single best ingredient. It's really the only herb I end up having to farm, ever, even if I'm making potions for 3-4 people.

Fireblossom is good for only 2 potions, grav and lavaproof, which you really only need for a specific purpose (finding floating islands/mining hellstone) and then never again. No need to farm, and you'll end up with more than you can carry just going around hell.
Waterleaf is used in lavaproof and 2 fairly worthless watery potions, you'll have more than you'll ever need in just one trip through the desert.
Blinkroot is used in 7 utility potions, most pretty useless (invisibility), but thankfully it's more than common enough just about anywhere you might go that you'll have plenty for the occasional good potion (spelunker).
Moonglow is rare-used but useful, featured in both the mana-power and mana-regen potions, plus spelunking. But it's frequent in the jungle so you'll only find a scarcity in the very early game.
Deathweed is also pretty useless, so though it appears in the magic power potion you'll doubtful need to farm it. Run through the Crimson/Corruption a handful of times and you'll be set pretty much for life.
Daybloom, however, is used in 8 potions, more than anything else, and includes such popular items as Ironskin, Health Regen, Mana Regen, and Shine. Hands down the king of herbs. Which makes it convenient that it grows so fast and blooms so easily.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

President Ark posted:

I think I remember reading that the absolute number of most resources is proportional to the length of the world. While there's more of a thing in existence, its density (which roughly corresponds to the difficulty in finding it) decreases with one over the square root of the world length.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

You clearly haven't seen the Paladin's hammer or Scourge of the Corruptors.

The Paladin's Hammer is excellent, but the Scourge is honestly pretty garbage if you already have Vamp Knives and the Death Sickle.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Rynoto posted:

I'm lazy and just spam the poo poo out of flares everywhere. They last until you exit the world and even stay lit underwater! A stack of them costs next to nothing.

Yeah, what? There are people that don't go through a thousand flares an hour? Weirdos.

The flare gun is the best thing about 1.2.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow, the Golem was a joke. He needs more health to be even close to threatening.

By the way, do I need to have the Pygmy staff in my inventory/equipped for the Witch Doctor to sell the Tiki set?

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

RatHat posted:

Wow, the Golem was a joke. He needs more health to be even close to threatening.

By the way, do I need to have the Pygmy staff in my inventory/equipped for the Witch Doctor to sell the Tiki set?

The Golem mostly needs to spawn in an area that doesn't cripple him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How so? Even if you fight in the room with him and don't cheese him he's still not a threat at all. A bigger arena wouldn't make a difference.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

How so? Even if you fight in the room with him and don't cheese him he's still not a threat at all. A bigger arena wouldn't make a difference.

On that note be careful with the size of any arena you build for him, as he despawned when I grappled to the top of mine.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The fact that knockback weapons block his punches is kind of a big weakness for him.

Cabadillo
Jan 1, 2004

Adorable and Nutritious

spider wisdom posted:

I've just activated hardmode for the first time (and I've had Terraria since launch!) and I was all pumped for the Hallow, but it spawned right under my floating snow fortress (which I built on stone blocks just above some water). So now there's pink ice and pearlstone randomly sprinkled around, but no Hallow spawns. :(

Same drat thing happened to me; I was super pumped about having the Hallow and it came up dead-center inside a gigantic snow biome. I've got the spawns, but they're all way the hell underground, even the unicorns. Then I started a new world and went straight after the Wall of Flesh as fast as I could, and it hit a desert. I fully expect the third world to somehow spawn an ocean in the middle of where the Hallow would line up at this point.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

My golem spawn made it so his head always spawned stuck in the walls, which was super annoying until I got an inferno fork that could actually hit the head inside the walls. Then it was just a matter of equipping the Magic Cuffs and going to town while free from the burden of having to track his head.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Just downloaded Tshock to play around with the monster spawns a bit. Default is 5? That seems low, better make it 50. Spawn interval of 600? Eh, make it 60.

Here I am, just having fun knocking out entire conga lines of fairies when it starts to rain. Awesome! I begin killing the nimbus clouds that pop up and manage to grab his staff, which I've been missing for a while. Got a handful of rainbow slimes too. Just as I head back to my base to drop off some stuff, I see a horrible message.

The Blood Moon is rising...

aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

About a minute before I took that screenshot, a wraith had floated in and knocked around the goblin tinkerer, spooking him into opening the door to the left and letting them all inside. Everybody but the clothier perished before day broke. :smith:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Is there any value to hammering platforms, other than aesthetically? They already don't interact with most things and you can't run up them like stairs.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Verviticus posted:

Is there any value to hammering platforms, other than aesthetically? They already don't interact with most things and you can't run up them like stairs.

Yes, you can- hold up as you run towards them.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

I can't always make this work.
Does the staircase have to have certain amount of space overhead before it will let you go up or something?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Verviticus posted:

If you lead a slope up into them from beneath you can use them as stairs, though the tower I use them for this in leads the slope into a wall, so that might be needed. Also the lowered platforms are much more likely to catch you when you jump; if you tap the down button on them it will sort of "catch" you and put you back onto the platform if you let go of the button fast enough, whereas regular platforms won't do the catching thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vib Rib posted:

Daybloom, however, is used in 8 potions, more than anything else, and includes such popular items as Ironskin, Health Regen, Mana Regen, and Shine. Hands down the king of herbs. Which makes it convenient that it grows so fast and blooms so easily.
Funny thing, I never use any of these potions. It's nice in Mana Regen for casters, but all of its other uses are nullified with Torches (which you should be placing as you explore out of courtesy for your co-op players) and Glowsticks, and then just not getting hit.

I'm big on Healing Potions, though, those'll save your rear end a lot more than a Regen Potion but they also come from Mushrooms. You might be surprised how useful Gravitation Potions are later in the game, too (they work great for sustained mobility against hard mode bosses), and Spelunker Potions will never not be amazing.

Some folks like Battle Potions for grinding, and you need Deathweed for that. Hell, my past few worlds have been my friends and I frantically hoping for a Blood Moon so we can harvest more of the drat stuff.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Starhawk64 posted:

I miss the Hamdrax, it was nice having an all-in-one tool that could dismantle everything in a few seconds.

If you can make the Spectre tools and haven't yet, I highly recommend it. They have the same power as the clorophyte tools, but have +3 range. It's still two separate tools with the Pickaxe and Hamaxe, but they break stuff so quickly and using shift is so useful that I don't miss the Hamdrax at all, and actually prefer them over the Picksaw with the 2 extra range. The only thing they can't break are the lihzahrd temple blocks.

For you painters, there's also spectre versions of the paint brush, roller and scraper, each with +3 range as well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Some folks like Battle Potions for grinding, and you need Deathweed for that. Hell, my past few worlds have been my friends and I frantically hoping for a Blood Moon so we can harvest more of the drat stuff.
This is why the Deathweed portion of my herb farms is always by far the one with the most pots in it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The White Dragon posted:

You can harvest Deathweed without Blood Moons, you just can't get the seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

apostateCourier posted:

You can do that without hammering platforms as well. As long as the gap isnt bigger than one space (raised to raised or unraised to unraised) it works. I can't actually find a use for ones that are unraised, though, or lowered, I guess.

Akett posted:

if you tap the down button on them it will sort of "catch" you and put you back onto the platform if you let go of the button fast enough, whereas regular platforms won't do the catching thing.

Yeah, I guess thats a thing. I can't quite figure out why it would be useful though!

• Locked thread