Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The only thing to annoy me so far is that the don't have constant 24/7 multiple shift crews tending to the walkers around the fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Sir Kodiak posted:

I think my other issue is that the prison is a really lousy setting for this sort of story. The specter of death roaming around a house or mall is creepy. Prisons are already scary places and plenty of movies present prisons that are more terrifying than if they were filled with zombies.

Like this, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109053 this movie freaked me out much more than TWD prison scenes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The thing I don't get for the prison is that they don't even bother to lock off blocks anymore it seems.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
When they went running into D someone mentioned that they had locked down C. I understand it's not something they're doing all the time but they weren't aware of the disease before this and there has to be some level of trust between the survivors in the prison.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VDay posted:

Survivors being bad at actually surviving or not setting up optimal defenses is just one of those zombie fiction tropes that you have to accept and move on. They're never going to do everything that seems logical to the viewers because anything that makes them completely safe would make for a boring TV show. Of course that doesn't excuse all the times a character has done something especially stupid/careless, but it's still a pretty big necessity for this type of zombie show.

Besides it's somewhat realistic to drop their guard after a few weeks of doing the same routine and feeling safe from walker attacks.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

etalian posted:

The people in Governor's camp just spent the whole time loitering around and didn't learn any useful skills.

I wouldn't call "lemonade party planning" a useless skill.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

etalian posted:

Besides it's somewhat realistic to drop their guard after a few weeks of doing the same routine and feeling safe from walker attacks.

Yeah, the bigger problem is that's it's sort of a missed opportunity not to depict this. The way people learn to ignore persistent threats (driving, smoking, drinking, obesity, etc.) is actually a relatable problem, as compared to whether or not my child can have his firearm back.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

VDay posted:

Survivors being bad at actually surviving or not setting up optimal defenses is just one of those zombie fiction tropes that you have to accept and move on. They're never going to do everything that seems logical to the viewers because anything that makes them completely safe would make for a boring TV show. Of course that doesn't excuse all the times a character has done something especially stupid/careless, but it's still a pretty big necessity for this type of zombie show.

Its nothing more than lazy efforts by the script writers. Having the characters do stupid poo poo to 'not be 100% safe!' is bullshit, they are in post-civilization zombie apocalypse. Locking their cell doors won't make them safe from the thousands of threats they are facing, but having them open sure is a quick and easy way for the writers to add in some gore and get rid of some extras. Its frustrating because other elements of the scripting have been really good, and I feel that show can improve, but I'd like to see a show with people that aren't so brain-damaged that when bad things happen I empathize with them, not feel disgusting levels of contempt at their stupidity.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Can there be a horror story of any kind (slasher, zombies, monsters, etc.) where the human characters act reasonably? I think that to a certain point, these kind of stories need people to act dumb in order to work.

I would love to see one story that manages to be scary and portrays the survivors as actually competent and careful, but none come to mind.

Any ideas?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Your inquiry is so perfectly timed that I suspect you true motives, but here you go http://www.slashfilm.com/votd-great-trailer-for-hell-no-the-sensible-horror-film/
apparently not a real film, bummer

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 21, 2013

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

radlum posted:

Can there be a horror story of any kind (slasher, zombies, monsters, etc.) where the human characters act reasonably? I think that to a certain point, these kind of stories need people to act dumb in order to work.

I would love to see one story that manages to be scary and portrays the survivors as actually competent and careful, but none come to mind.

Any ideas?

Alien? If you ignore Ripley going after the drat cat, that is. :argh:

Lessee... 28 Days Later and The Thing spring to mind as reasonable examples too. Basically, if the threat's big enough, the characters don't need to act stupid to be in danger. Most slasher films plain don't work if the cast can go 'gently caress that' and just drive home again.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

Tin Miss posted:

Michonne also made me weepy. Two episodes of this season and we're already getting more characterization for her than all of last season.

:smith: :hf: :smith:

I like that the show can be understated and powerful without words rather than have some long expositionary monologue about her bouncing baby boy/brother before the apocalypse.

Although some people here may need the monologue.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
I love the idea that in the real world people don't do stupid or dangerous things in dangerous situation because of comfort or routine ALL THE TIME. The whole point that the doors were open was exactly this. These people have settled in. I would be much more wary of a show that had people be super optimal zombie survivors 24/7

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

BlackJosh posted:

I love the idea that in the real world people don't do stupid or dangerous things in dangerous situation because of comfort or routine ALL THE TIME. The whole point that the doors were open was exactly this. These people have settled in. I would be much more wary of a show that had people be super optimal zombie survivors 24/7

The door thing is fine because as people mentioned earlier it's a pretty good way to show that everyone's gotten complacent over their situation and think that they're totally safe. Showing a group of them clearing out fence zombies in one episode and talking about how it's becoming a problem, only to have them apparently stop doing it and not reinforce the fence in any way in the next episode is done purely for plot/tension though. That's the part that you just kind of have to accept, because otherwise they clear/kill all the zombies in a couple of hours, put up some more supports along the parts of the fence under pressure, and completely eliminate that danger.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BlackJosh posted:

I would be much more wary of a show that had people be super optimal zombie survivors 24/7

Yeah it would be pretty boring to watch people having a super-fortress in which everyone is aware and never makes any mistake since they are super-survivalists.

It's also somewhat realistic having the rest of the Woodbury extras not being good since in the Governor utopia only a small portion did all the fighting or stood watch on the wall.

For Team Rick you at least have people with prior background to help them survive such as law enforcement/practical redneck skills background or at least survived the cruel darwinian process like Glenn.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

VDay posted:

The door thing is fine because as people mentioned earlier it's a pretty good way to show that everyone's gotten complacent over their situation and think that they're totally safe. Showing a group of them clearing out fence zombies in one episode and talking about how it's becoming a problem, only to have them apparently stop doing it and not reinforce the fence in any way in the next episode is done purely for plot/tension though. That's the part that you just kind of have to accept, because otherwise they clear/kill all the zombies in a couple of hours, put up some more supports along the parts of the fence under pressure, and completely eliminate that danger.

Right, like Daryl is sweating it out digging graves (with a mask and gloves, while wearing a vest :confused: Oh then he takes the mask off as soon as he needs to talk), but maybe that energy would be better spent digging a moat? I'm willing to let just about anything go since it's only TV but stuff like that kind of kills the suspension of disbelief.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The only thing to annoy me so far is that the don't have constant 24/7 multiple shift crews tending to the walkers around the fence.
This is the main thing annoying me this season. Why on earth wouldn't you have people kill every single walker every day. Sure, every morning you'll wake up to another group of walkers shambling over but by the end of the day you'll have every single walker dead. Eventually you piles the bodies up so high that they serve as yet another wall between a horde of zombies knocking a fence down and just a few pushing on the fence per day.

The stuff about not locking the cells makes complete sense. Very few people lock every interior door in their house during the night.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

radlum posted:

Any ideas?

I'd love to see this show get made and then listen to people complain about how boring it is.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Are we allowed to talk dirt on the show again now that aatrek is gone?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah this is about the only head shaking thing so far. Feels like they should have shifts rotating and clearing out the fence walkers at least once a day if not twice. I'll forgive it because everything else has been so much improved, but cmon meow.

TOOT BOOT posted:

It was never "you can't say anything negative". It was "don't come in here if you hate everything and just want to bitch/troll".

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VDay posted:

I don't think so. They could have had that zombie ice someone getting up early for a shower, then the two of them ice the next person to get up to make breakfast, etc. By the time most people wake up and head to the mess hall, they could be heading into a zombie pack. They could have had the cell block attacked easily, without making me feel like the people kind of deserved it for being loving stupid.

Again, the only black mark on an otherwise great episode, though.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think we're always allowed to talk poo poo about specific points, his problem (rightfully) is with the group of people who started "hate watching" the show in season 2; when it improved in season 3 (and make no mistake, it did improve, despite my issues with the weak climax), these people continued right on hate watching, wanting to pick apart and destroy the good episodes because it was the cool thing to do the season before.

And yeah, I don't have a problem with that not being welcome.

EDIT: I had no idea about the amazing AAtrek crash & burn when I wrote this. I thought it was a joking "Can we make stupid jokes now that the teacher stepped out?" kind of comment, not "Thrown off the site in a horrible blaze of glory shame."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 22, 2013

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I think the "walkers bringing down the fence" thing would be more palatable if the majority of the walker mass was attracted by the gun shots inside the prison instead of the show letting us see several shots of the big mass of walkers at the fence the entire episode and all the survivors pretty much being like "meh". It just kind of takes some of the tension out when you are wondering why they aren't on top of that poo poo.

But otherwise a good episode. I'm actually interested in the mystery/whodunit stuff this season. The killing of the pigs hit me right in the gut.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Korak posted:

The stuff about not locking the cells makes complete sense. Very few people lock every interior door in their house during the night.

Well most people don't live in a world where a bout of flu, a heart attack, or a bad slip turns a dude into a shambling zombie.

And its more like close the door securely, rather than lock. Again, a bit of chain and a carabiner clip or something secures a door versus zombies but allows humans to pass through freely. Also, the doors are all bars and stuff so it doesn't get stuffy in the cells! No excuse.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adeptus posted:

Alien? If you ignore Ripley going after the drat cat, that is. :argh:

Lessee... 28 Days Later and The Thing spring to mind as reasonable examples too. Basically, if the threat's big enough, the characters don't need to act stupid to be in danger. Most slasher films plain don't work if the cast can go 'gently caress that' and just drive home again.

The Thing has the best, more realistically acting characters in any horror movie, ever.

Also 28 Days Later loses points for the military turning into raving rapist insane asylum lunatics. I kept waiting for the twist that they were escaped mental patients that killed some military guys and took their poo poo. Plus, they were trying their plan for weeks, which means they flipped out that bad in two weeks and the commander knew the inspection didn't spread outside of the UK.

I REALLY hated those characters, and it damaged what was otherwise an amazing zombie movie.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 22, 2013

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
This was a great episode. Rick's slow realisation that the life he's set up is unsustainable, the infected pigs, the burning of the pig pen and his farmer shirt, and my personal favourite- the pan from the just stabilised fence to the other side where the pressure is building up again.

Also Rick being the one to make a decision about the fence* as they still look to him for leadership and him taking back on the mantle when he puts his gun on.

Plenty of really worthwhile examples of show, don't tell.

*People moaning about the pigs are dumb, let alone the symbolic value, you can easily see why crashing a car into a bunch of zombies is a bad idea, and there's no guarantee that music alone will work. If you're going to have fun with the pseudo-realist approach at least put some effort into it.

Edit: Another favourite, when he's using the pigs as a distraction he is literally sacrificing the life he wants to the zombies. He has to accept that they are his life now. This whole episode was so thematically consistent that its mind blowing that its the same TV programme as last season.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 22, 2013

radlum
May 13, 2013

Dantu posted:

I'd love to see this show get made and then listen to people complain about how boring it is.

That's pretty much my point. So far, it seems that, besides 28 Days Later, the only way to make this kind of fiction work is to have dumb characters (or someone actively working against the characters), otherwise, it would be boring.

I need to watch The Thing again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

Edit: Another favourite, when he's using the pigs as a distraction he is literally sacrificing the life he wants to the zombies. He has to accept that they are his life now. This whole episode was so thematically consistent that its mind blowing that its the same TV programme as last season.

Sort of made me think of the plot for Unforgiven for how Rick was trying to bury his past but in the end has to embrace it.

It's a messed up world in which doesn't allow for things such as swearing off violence.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

I hope future 'pisodes are as good as last night's 'pisode.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
My fiance is doing a course by correspondence with a University in California based on TWD and the module this week looked at Maslow's hierarchy of needs and how constantly changing conditions would alter people's ability to reason and plan in ways that people are stating should be happening, like it's an immersion breaker or presenting some kind of logical discontinuity. People's skills in longer term planning are probably shot due to months of day to day scavenging.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think we're always allowed to talk poo poo about specific points, his problem (rightfully) is with the group of people who started "hate watching" the show in season 2; when it improved in season 3 (and make no mistake, it did improve, despite my issues with the weak climax), these people continued right on hate watching, wanting to pick apart and destroy the good episodes because it was the cool thing to do the season before.

And yeah, I don't have a problem with that not being welcome.

This is an accurate post. You can criticize the show. Nobody ever said you couldn't. But the culture of hate watching is going to be phased out around here. If you do nothing but bitch about a show you're not going to be welcome in threads. That simple.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Does Michonne's crying while holding the baby show her guilty feelings of secretly feeding the zombies?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Optiquest posted:

Does Michonne's crying while holding the baby show her guilty feelings of secretly feeding the zombies?
She's sad because she realized the Governor was really a good guy. She's going to track him down so she can apologize to him.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Optiquest posted:

She's actually regretting letting the zombies into the prison when Judith was born.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

She's crying because the baby will grow up never knowing her real father.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

She's crying because the baby will grow up never knowing her real father.
Yet forever suffering his unquenchable thirst.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Optiquest posted:

Real Answer: I think it's obvious from that and the scene before that she lost a child.

Best Answer: She hates babies so loving much not being able to deal with it like everything else (glares & katanas) makes her cry in frustration.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

She's crying for reasons completely independent from the baby, but it's presence isn't really helping.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I think it's a reference to King of the Hill when Peggy was in a full body cast and unable to care for herself like a baby.
Michonne is now helpless with a busted ankle and having the baby there just drives in how helpless and dependent on others she is now.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Michonne heard the baby crying like a zombie and realized the baby's going to grow up to be a zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps it was the actress weeping tears of joy at finally having dialogue and a character beyond "the one who glares." I really dig her character now.

• Locked thread