Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

CitizenKain posted:

I fail to see how disallowing employees from completely non-work related sites is somehow ruining the internet.
I work in healthcare and some workstations have these restrictions. Thankfully management offices do not. It is incredibly frustrating when you try and go to a national society website to find a protocol for a rarely performed procedure and can't get access because all "society" websites are blocked, but poo poo like slashdot isn't because IT would lose their minds.

Use unique logins, explicitly state your usage is being monitored and you can be terminated for updating your status or doing other retarded poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

dennyk posted:

Apparently the elderly and otherwise technically non-inclined just assume that if their name is X then X@gmail.com must be their email address. :downs: I wonder if these people ever wonder why they never get the emails they sign up for?

They do. Then they call their ISP and yell at me.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Everyone posted:

:words: email chat

Didn't someone have an avatar about xkcd quotes being trite?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

There is one other person in the world, online at least, with the same name as me. I get a bunch of marketing intended for him, from trade shows.

In the early gmail goldrush, I also grabbed firstname + initials. THAT one gets insane amounts of other people's junk. Looking at it right now I see vacation photos, pervy website sign-ups, a Minecraft account, twitch.tv, + air travel reservations...

I only ever use it on forms where it would be too much trouble to fit in my full name.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
gently caress printers and gently caress my (non IT) government contractor job. The office is 24/7 and the best I can tell there is no on call IT person – or if there is I have no idea and they're hidden behind a national help desk center.

Nothing like a fuser jam on an HP LaserJet 9040 that has been in service for 4 years of 24/7 automatically printing critical stuff.

Edit: At least I was able to remap the network port the on the machine doing the automatic message. But that's because it's an unmanaged install of Windows XP. :gonk: Everything else is Windows 7 on a domain.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 20, 2013

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

So as an update to my posts from several pages ago, I learned a few things at our monthly tech meeting.
1) The SCCM/WSUS/PXE server was physical because our VM stacks are oldish and they didn't want to increase load on them. But our admins are also clearly not very good at this poo poo (took us a year to pry rights to move and delete computers out of OUs and SCCM from them, necessitating a phone call to them any time we had to remove or move a computer. We move, replace, and image hundreds of computers a year).
2) Though it had hardware for RAID, and we use mirroring on other servers, the admin did not set up mirroring
3) The server was never backed up, effectively losing 4 months of our "bench tech"'s work and about a year of the admin's SCCM work. The 'bench tech' was furious.
4) In the...3? weeks since the server crashed, the admin has repeatedly set up the server and then flattened it because it "wasn't working right." Our 'bench tech' can't even begin the laborious process of setting up SCCM imaging until the base server is functioning. I suspect our 'bench tech' could have had the server itself up and running within a couple days.

At least the past couple weeks I've been the goddamn hero at my buildings since I'm finally getting rid of all of our CRTs! Last donation got us hundreds of 22" and larger widescreen Dell LCDs. All thanks to one para-educator who somehow has managed to get us connected with multiple government offices (Social Security Administration, county transit, even the drat Department of Homeland Security (I left the 'UNCLASSIFIED' stickers on the donated HP 4350s)) to get their lease-cycled hardware. She's gotten us probably 70% of our computers the past few years, just when the Computers 4 Kids donations dried up thanks to the recession and every school jumping on that program.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
A user came in with her iPhone in a bag. Shattered glass everywhere, completely unusable.

She explained that she had to chose between saving the iPhone or her camera when she got hit by a moving carcass while preparing for an interview in a slaughterhouse - she chose the camera and saved us ~$35,000 with that decision.

Some times I'll gladly bump people to the front of the line and let someone else wait a day longer for their phone replacement. :)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Crowley posted:

A user came in with her iPhone in a bag. Shattered glass everywhere, completely unusable.

She explained that she had to chose between saving the iPhone or her camera when she got hit by a moving carcass while preparing for an interview in a slaughterhouse - she chose the camera and saved us ~$35,000 with that decision.

Until I double checked to see who posted this, I got rather confused by that post.

I was imagining a work environment so terrible that the user was looking to YOTJ to a job processing meat in a slaughterhouse.

Then I saw it was Crowley and he works for a TV station and suddenly it made a lot more sense :)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Until I double checked to see who posted this, I got rather confused by that post.

I was imagining a work environment so terrible that the user was looking to YOTJ to a job processing meat in a slaughterhouse.

Then I saw it was Crowley and he works for a TV station and suddenly it made a lot more sense :)

ehm yeah. I forgot that "interview" usually has a different meaning in here. :shobon:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

Not in this industry. And frankly, I'm perfectly okay with that. Problems happen when they happen, and sometimes more people are needed to handle a problem than are readily at hand on graveyard. Sometimes you need to wake people up so they can be the experts.

But it's not a two-way street in far too many companies. When we sacrifice to get the job done, it's up to the company to sacrifice back, to prove that they appreciate it. Too many managers and businesses are unwilling to, and honestly it's partly because too many of us put up with it.

I'd kill for a graveyard shift here, but your other part is too true. Some places I've been at least ordered pizza and apologized for keeping us late, but literally said they appreciated our efforts to our faces. That doesn't happen here.

If nothing else I plan to list the work-life balance as the primary reason I'm leaving, Warsaw Pact-style IT infighting as the secondary. Hopefully the fact that I don't list "my boss is an insensitive clod who runs the place in a manner that only dudes fresh off the plane from Mumbai would tolerate" will leave the bridge unburnt.

It's sad, really - the rest of the company is great. We get important religious observance days as free paid holidays (I was told to not come in on Yom Kippur/Rosh Hashanah when they realized I was Jewish), you get a pension after three years (in addition to 401k), good health care, workdays are 8-4 or 9-5 (although you're expected to log enough working hours to merit a full 8-5/9-6 schedule), and the commute is crazy easy - right next to Penn Station.

I can deal with 24-7-365 oncall with the right compensation/recognition. I can deal with infighting. But this boss. Must :yotj:.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dennyk posted:

Apparently the elderly and otherwise technically non-inclined just assume that if their name is X then X@gmail.com must be their email address. :downs: I wonder if these people ever wonder why they never get the emails they sign up for?

What's worse is that X@googlemail.com also redirects to your gmail account.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
These ransomware things are really starting to reach for scary-sounding law enforcement-related agencies to invoke.

I was scared when I saw Interpol was on the case, but when I saw that it was a joint effort with the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police and the Ministry of Public Safety Canada, I was terrified. And then I saw INTERNET POLICE DEPARTMENT. :ohdear:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Dehry posted:

What's worse is that X@googlemail.com also redirects to your gmail account.

There's a guy in the UK who is POSITIVE that he owns my email address, n2firstname.n2lastname@gmail.com. He's positive he registered for the @googlemail version of that, back during the lawsuit days. Problem is, google would never have let you get a @googlemail.com if the gmail version was taken.

Every once in a while, I still see the password reset requests come in.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came went out...

Over the weekend software updates were ran on our ticketing system and now nobody can log in. When you type in your password, it starts to randomly add extra characters. This is affecting the web client and the local installed clients as well. ETA for a fix from our vender is a week.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

blackswordca posted:

Over the weekend software updates were ran on our ticketing system and now nobody can log in. When you type in your password, it starts to randomly add extra characters. This is affecting the web client and the local installed clients as well. ETA for a fix from our vender is a week.

When end users complain, request that they put in a ticket. Do not accept the logical argument that they can't as an answer.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Paladine_PSoT posted:

When end users complain, request that they put in a ticket. Do not accept the logical argument that they can't as an answer.

If they insist, you say that surely the company wouldn't employ you to answer tickets if it weren't possible to put them in.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The front end is fine, tickets can be submitted, nobody can log into the backend to pull tickets to work on them.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

blackswordca posted:

The front end is fine, tickets can be submitted, nobody can log into the backend to pull tickets to work on them.

Say hello to getting yelled at for poor metrics then.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

blackswordca posted:

Sounds like office beer/scotch/rum party for a week.

Reality sets in: Sounds like you are phone jockey again for a week while users call in their tickets.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
An e-mail came in from the webteam asking us to open a work order to the sysadmins to "append index.cfm" to some webpage, because a URL we sent out was coming up with a 403 error. The sysadmins got that e-mail, but when they got the ticket they complained via reply-all that the helpdesk shouldn't have sent them that ticket.

The error they reported is that "https://domain.tld/site/" doesn't work, and want to make it "https://domain.tld/site/index.cfm" instead. I don't know what the webteam thinks that entails, since they admit that the virtual directory has index.cfm configured as the default document. The actual error is that "https://domain.tld/site" doesn't work, and throws a 403 error. To their credit, they did figure that out on their own after about 40 minutes.

edit: And now they've broken "https://domain.tld/site/" for reasons I can't explain, but the error message suggests that there may no longer be a default index document.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 22, 2013

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

I believe I've found your problem here. :v:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

dennyk posted:

I believe I've found your problem here. :v:
I laughed ... but then I looked it up out of curiosity and was shocked to discover they still make/support it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

MF_James posted:

Sounds like office beer/scotch/rum party for a week.

Reality sets in: Sounds like you are phone jockey again for a SEVERAL weekS while users call in their tickets, then ignore the process once it's fixed and continue calling poo poo in.

ftfy

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Let's not get carried away here, this is Adobe after all.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Isn't that the short word for charging a license fee annually?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

teethgrinder posted:

I laughed ... but then I looked it up out of curiosity and was shocked to discover they still make/support it.
If you think that's bad, they're using some ancient version of a CMS that isn't being supported by the vendor, but "requires" Firefox 3.6. They've decided that the version of Firefox that we roll out will be 3.6.28, and it's not up for debate. The only difference that anyone's been able to identify between this version and an ESR release is that some calendar drop-down doesn't populate automatically in later FF versions, so they have to make a few more clicks in a certain form. That's not a joke.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Is there an RDS clients for Macs that support RDS Gateway? I've found "iTap RDS" but it's 25 bucks and can only be bought via the "Mac Store". Are there any alternatives?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Swink posted:

Is there an RDS clients for Macs that support RDS Gateway? I've found "iTap RDS" but it's 25 bucks and can only be bought via the "Mac Store". Are there any alternatives?
Microsoft released a new version of RDP for both OS X and iOS a couple of days ago that supports both RDS Gateways and NLA. It actually works extremely well and since it supports RemoteFX the performance is great too.

It should be available in the App Store, search for Remote Desktop and grab the one from Microsoft (has an orange icon).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The new 'official' Microsoft client in the Mac App Store is just iTap re-branded. It works very well, supports gateways etc. It was timed perfectly as I was about a week off buying iTap, booting a VM just to use Remote Desktop was getting annoying.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A LinkedIn invitation came in... To the helpdesk email. Is LinkedIn to blame for this stupidity or is it the people sending us these invites?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

A LinkedIn invitation came in... To the helpdesk email. Is LinkedIn to blame for this stupidity or is it the people sending us these invites?
Someone has the Helpdesk email in their contacts and gave LinkedIn permission to trawl their mail/Exhange/whatever account. LinkedIn spams you.. With the user's permission.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Crowley posted:

Someone has the Helpdesk email in their contacts and gave LinkedIn permission to trawl their mail/Exhange/whatever account. LinkedIn spams you.. With the user's permission.

LinkedIn trawls your mail contacts WITHOUT your permission. This just came to light a few weeks ago. A lot of stuff on it from the last month or so

Edit: They added a "feature" to do this and it is on by default without asking/warning you about it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Trastion posted:

LinkedIn trawls your mail contacts WITHOUT your permission. This just came to light a few weeks ago. A lot of stuff on it from the last month or so

Edit: They added a "feature" to do this and it is on by default without asking/warning you about it.
Maybe you're talking about this class-action or this blog post, but I'm pretty sure it's because people are mashing the the "Add to Network" button when they sign up without thinking about it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah that lawsuit is pretty much groundless. LinkedIn doesn't trawl an account without the user giving up the email/login and password, and I'm sure there's a passage in the terms that mentions them walking through the list spamming everyone.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

MJP posted:

Sometimes I wonder if there's any job that's 9-5 and 9-5 only...

Yeah they exist, but be careful what you wish for.

That's my job, but it's 9-5 and 9-5 exactly.

I complain to the missus that my job requires me to live in minutes to an absurd degree. I drop my kids off at 8:35. I get to my car at 8:40 or 8:42 where I drive to catch the train at 8:52. I arrive at my office at 9:17 so I can fire up my kit to be on the 9:30 daily huddle. Then I am bored out of my mind until 12:30 when I get lunch until 1. Then I am bored out of my mind until 5:30.

I must be at my desk and punch in my 8 hours a day or my manager starts tapping his watch at me. The good news is that since I am a contractor there will be absolutely no overtime for me and therefore I will only work 40 hours a week.

I've come to realize that Big Enterprise IT is not for me. I have had my fill of my limited sphere of influence and my little cubicle and bosses tapping their watches at me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anyone who mashes "yes" to a web page wanting to trawl your emails and send out invites doesn't deserve to get a job in any field related to computers anyway, so it's a blessing that you get to find out who these people are.

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!
A call came in to our help desk and it is amusing enough that he forwarded it to the IT team:

"This just happened and I am still laughing. I have a user today call and was not making any sense. She was stating that she was getting all these emails from Don O'Treply. I could not make heads or tails of the situation until I connected to her machine and found the following:

donotreply@hpeprint.com"

:psyboom:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Man Yam posted:

A call came in to our help desk and it is amusing enough that he forwarded it to the IT team:

"This just happened and I am still laughing. I have a user today call and was not making any sense. She was stating that she was getting all these emails from Don O'Treply. I could not make heads or tails of the situation until I connected to her machine and found the following:

donotreply@hpeprint.com"

:psyboom:

The stupidity of the user apparently knows no bounds. Reaching further than ever previously thought possible.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

The stupidity of the user apparently knows no bounds. Reaching further than ever previously thought possible.

Honestly, I used to hold the opinion that I'm just an expert at computers and networks, that's why I hold this job so... clearly these other people must be experts at their jobs. 12 years in the workforce and experience has shown me that this is pretty much an illusion. There's an entire class of people to whom actually thinking about their job in any way shape or form is anathema and will literally lock up the minute something outside of the script pops up. These people even exist within IT (The guy that's constantly bugging you on how to do something). When I see a problem I've never encountered before I dig out a shovel and start digging.

I'm now convinced that every shop regardless of what it does is staffed with one or two competent people who literally do everything, and five or six people who's jobs are mainly to escort bits of paper around the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The CEO has Macs at home and a few months ago he asked me to get him a new one. I told him he should wait until the next version of OS X comes out.

I've been having a miserable couple of weeks with illness in the family, emergency trips, too much dumb stuff at work... and then I see that the new OS X came out today. poo poo.

I emailed him to let him know and he called me in to his office. I talked about the new 13" MBP because I've been waiting years to replace the 2007 15" one I got for $1 when my old company went out of business. We discussed things for a couple of minutes and this is how it went:

:cool:: So order me a 15" MacBook Pro... loaded. Get me everything on it.
:): Ok
:cool:: And I want the Thunderbolt display. Throw that in.
:): Ok
:cool:: And I need you to get one more thing...
:rolleyes:: Yes?
:cool:: Get yourself one of those 13" Macbook Pros. Load it up.
:stare:
:cool:: Unless you wanted something else.
:stare: You can't be serious.
:cool:: Go order all of it right now because they ship today!
:stare: Ok. Thank you. That's very nice of you.

This had been a pretty lousy day, right up until that point. It was surreal. I got the middle of the line 13" with 16 gigs of RAM, 256 gig SSD. I couldn't bring myself to get the top of the line. It was just too weird.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 23, 2013

• Locked thread