Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MindTheGap
Jul 24, 2007

IanJ posted:

Oh no- sorry if I was confusing, but on shows like AT or Regular Show or Gravity Falls nothing is vector at any point. They work with completely hand-drawn animation. Toonz is just the program that is used for scanning, coloring, composing and rendering scenes. (It is quite similar to RETAS!Pro.) They don't take the output into Toon Boom or Flash- They complete renders straight from Toonz and send them back to the US. No flash animation needed.
No worries, sorry if I misunderstood. That's incredibly awesome, and God, there is SO little support for something like that over here in the U.S. I learned RETAS! Pro at seemingly the only place in the entire country where there are teachers willing to train people how to use it, but since the software support for the English version of the program was, er, lacking, and the hardware gets pricey (you have to get a stop motion camera for pencil tests, and a multi-document feeder if you ever want to get any sleep), I kind of had to give up on it. It's a real shame, because these types of programs produce such great-looking animation, and, if the materials were just commercially available, might even expedite the already incredibly mundane process of animating. What contributes to this drastically different attitude about digital vs. traditional in the east and west? Is it strictly a cultural thing? Because while that's understandable and everything, there are also logistics to consider, and I honestly don't see a lot of benefit to forcing western animators to do everything on a Wacom tablet. They already train us in schools to animate on a light table with paper and pencils, so it's not like western animators are incapable of doing things the old-fashioned way. Not to mention:

Steve Yun posted:

Korean studios like making tweeners draw on paper because it's faster. If there's something imperfect about the frame, the animator says "ah gently caress it it's not worth doing over again." You give an animator a Wacom tablet they keep noodling on the artwork and making adjustments and end up taking a lot longer.
GREAT POINT. If time is money in the entertainment industry, a digital-only mindset can become something of a budgetary concern.

Did they say anything at RDK about vector programs, and whether or not the animators ever use them? As an addendum to that, did you see any tablets anywhere in the studio, for a just-in-case sort of scenario, or do they insist on going 100% traditional, with only pencils and paper allowed at every station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Gravity Falls tumblr posted the pencils for their pterodactyl swooping and I almost cried at how beautiful it was.

Granted, there's like 6 months between episodes.

I love GF, but Adventure Time is still my favorite. I prefer its genuine optimism and enthusiasm for its wonderful life and wonderful world.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

Quinton posted:

Do they send the layouts back for review before tweening? Would seem like the logical point to check things before it gets really labor-intensive.

It blows my mind that AT is actually hand-drawn on paper -- I was under the impression that the industry had moved to digital production for animation, even down to individual frame drawings.

Not as far as I know, in my experience working on AT and other shows they don't send it back until it's all inbetweened. They want to nail every shot on their first try and they usually do. You can ask for pencil tests earlier but there's not much point in seeing the layouts unless it's your first ever time working with the studio. For instance I requested to see the layouts when I was working with an overseas studio on the pilot I made just to see if they got the characters right. But that was a special case.

MindTheGap posted:

Did they say anything at RDK about vector programs, and whether or not the animators ever use them? As an addendum to that, did you see any tablets anywhere in the studio, for a just-in-case sort of scenario, or do they insist on going 100% traditional, with only pencils and paper allowed at every station?

Nah, pretty much the only people I met that use Cintiq are the background painters and colorists. Drawing and animating on paper is faster. Maybe they will start doing it all digitally someday but they would have to retrain everyone and reorganize their pipeline. Rough Draft Korea has been drawing the Simpsons by hand for decades now and I think they just have their system that works. I don't know if they do any completely Flash shows at RDK but I know its not uncommon for that work to be done in other countries... like Canada, for instance.

This is a pic from inside one of the studios I visited(not RDK, but their artists work at very similar workstations).

Pretty normal, right? Kind of like pictures you'd see of Disney Feature Animation back in the day.

(I would share some of the pictures I took of drawings being done but they're spoilers.)

IanJ fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 22, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"What the fridge?"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Say Nothing posted:

RIP Hot Daniel.

I was legitimately sad to see Hot Daniel die. That episode made me want to fix something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think its funny how this episode actually paid off having Weird Al voice Banana-man.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.

muscles like this? posted:

I think its funny how this episode actually paid off having Weird Al voice Banana-man.

How could it not?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
YEAH BOI!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 7, 2014

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Episode was so good. Every episode is so good. Someone gif jake's expanding thumbs up, I pretty much died there.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I love that Ice King is still crashing with Finn and Jake. "Nope, I'm not a car guy. Too confusing."

I'm hoping we get an episode dealing with that situation eventually, but am massively enjoying the little moments we've seen so far.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
drat reptilians chewed up PB's hot dress!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I know that the truck was one of Rough Draft's 3d vehicles (like the spaceships in Futurama) cause it moved so smoothly but every time I pause it looks drawn and there are little touches like the wheels deforming and such. It's kind of freaking me out.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The best thing in the entire episode was BMO changes it's batteries. I like that it was done like it wasn't a big deal and was obviously something that had been done many times before.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Holy Calamity! posted:

Episode was so good. Every episode is so good. Someone gif jake's expanding thumbs up, I pretty much died there.

Someone avatarize Jake's thumbs up extravaganza. I need a new one and there's months until new GoT.

IanJ posted:

the pilot I made just to see if they got the characters right. But that was a special case.

Did this get picked up? Loved it!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 22, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

axleblaze posted:

The best thing in the entire episode was BMO changes it's batteries. I like that it was done like it wasn't a big deal and was obviously something that had been done many times before.

I will get a new avatar if there's a gif of this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Someone avatarize Jake's thumbs up extravaganza. I need a new one and there's months until new GoT.

Geirskogul posted:

I will get a new avatar if there's a gif of this.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Yessssss, this is amazing. Thank you!

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Full gif of this scene, please. Also a gif of everyone thumbs upping each other using every instance of thumbs upping from this episode on an infinite loop.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Man there was just a ton of great Jake shapes this episode, and great visual gags in general. The "those shows'll twist up your noodle", Jake in the glovebox, tea-kettle on Hot Daniel's hood, rotating truck-bomb of doom, B-MO's "Flying Toasters" screen saver... in particular, I loved B-MO's P-Bubbs sketch so I hope someone has a shot of that.

I also really like that Banana Man was doing the "desperate to become best friends forever" bit, and it didn't end up in some big twist where he gets rejected, or even with them having a big Heartfelt Moment - they just sorta hung out and got along like normal people. :unsmith:

Overall this was one of my top episodes of the season. Super great.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 22, 2013

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

Man there was just a ton of great Jake shapes this episode, and great visual gags in general. The "those shows'll twist up your noodle", Jake in the glovebox, tea-kettle on Hot Daniel's hood, rotating truck-bomb of doom, B-MO's "Flying Toasters" screen saver... in particular, I loved B-MO's P-Bubbs sketch so I hope someone has a shot of that.

I also really like that Banana Man was doing the "desperate to become best friends forever" bit, and it didn't end up in some big twist where he gets rejected, or even with them having a big Heartfelt Moment - they just sorta hung out and got along like normal people. :unsmith:

Overall this was one of my top episodes of the season. Super great.

Yeah, it's crazy how this season has just kept topping the previous episodes. The only dud for me so far was the Box Kingdom episode and, even there, I liked the Jake/BMO side plot.

THANKS FOR THE AWESOME GIF AXEBLAZE!!!!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, I didn't expect you to buy up my gifs so fast :) (though I know realize that the jake gif is missing a a step :blush:)

Holy Calamity! posted:

Full gif of this scene, please. Also a gif of everyone thumbs upping each other using every instance of thumbs upping from this episode on an infinite loop.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Here Soonmot, if you feel like wasting another 5 bucks:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Biodiesel + conspiracy theories about the government. Hmm...

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

This is beautiful. "Pup life" :3:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I rather enjoyed this as I am all too familiar with crazy conspiracy type shows on AM radio in the early AM.

Like this guy who goes on about time traveling lizard men and 7 foot tall white dudes. Unfortunately I cannot find the page on his site that goes over the specifics of the aliens he has met in the whatever-th dimension while time traveling. Maybe he removed it. :(
http://www.drbrucegoldberg.com/TimeTravelers2.htm

ed: oh yeah he just added a 2 to the old url. Original is still up.
http://www.drbrucegoldberg.com/TimeTravelers.htm

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
This was probably my favorite closing shot to an AT episode.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

Here Soonmot, if you feel like wasting another 5 bucks:

Argh, I just figured size restraints kept you from adding the final transformation. I will content myself with the current one!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Screen saver mode.

Jake the bouncing butt.

Thumbs up.

Yay Beemo!

"You ain’t got enough peel on that nanner".

Edit:
Hot Daniel is a 1971 Toyota Hilux Stout, but the engine is a is a unique 1HD-FT Straight-6 from a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 22, 2013

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Am I the only one who thinks that Hot Daniel looks like The Homer without the bubble domes?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Say Nothing posted:

Edit:
Hot Daniel is a 1971 Toyota Hilux Stout, but the engine is a is a unique 1HD-FT Straight-6 from a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Don't forget that it is also stick shift. :radcat:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hot Daniel looks nothing like any Toyota Hilux Stout I can find on google image search, whoever said that must be mistaken

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

Hot Daniel looks nothing like any Toyota Hilux Stout I can find on google image search, whoever said that must be mistaken

The AT wiki was wrong? That's unprecedented!

Did Finn pull Hot D out of a tree over a canyon and then push it back to the house himself?
No wonder he can beat up giant monsters.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Finn probably got a lot stronger on that Dungeon Train.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
The trick is rolling it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That episode was a return to form in a big way and easily the best episode since The Vault. GAH EVERYTHING ABOUT IT WAS SO FUN AND AWESOME

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Why was the love heart candy's text "Tug Me"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Recurring character, though the text is usually obscured.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Cinnamon Bun seemed to be part of the mob as well (and was the one calling in on the radio I think) so looks like he might have returned to PB after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
While people are making gifs, could someone make one of the truck peeling out and creating the big dirt waves?

Also adding to the sentiment that this was my favorite episode since the Vault. Had me smiling/laughing the most of any of the lighter comedy eps this season.

• Locked thread