Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Tripwyre posted:

The article also mentions the possibility that the film could feature both Scott Lang AND Hank Pym, so two actors could ultimately end up being Ant-Man in the same film. That's purely speculation on their part, but is in line with rumours and vague hints from Edgar that he wants to do a Scott Lang movie. I don't know how they'd introduce the concept without Pym in it at all.
That's not speculation. This is one of the first things Edgar Wright said about his Ant-Man script, back in 2006:

http://www.superherohype.com/features/articles/91587-exclusive-edgar-wright-talks-ant-man

quote:

SHH!: I think it's interesting that the Ant-Man you knew and grew up with was the Scott Lang one, since most people I would think know the one who hung with the Wasp in "Tales to Astonish."
Wright: Well, the thing is that what we want to do, the idea that we have for the adaptation is to actually involve both. Is to have a film that basically is about Henry Pym and Scott Lang, so you actually do a prologue where you see Pym as Ant-Man in action in the 60's, in sort of "Tales to Astonish" mode basically, and then the contemporary, sort of flash-forward, is Scott Lang's story, and how he comes to acquire the suit, how he crosses paths with Henry Pym, and then, in an interesting sort of Machiavellian way, teams up with him. So it's like an interesting thing, like the "Marvel Premiere" one that I read which is Scott Lang's origin, it's very brief like a lot of those origin comics are, and in a way, the details that are skipped through in the panels and the kind of thing we'd spend half an hour on.

While it may have changed plenty in the years since then, his recent hinting since suggests that's still the basic premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Threep posted:

That's not speculation. This is one of the first things Edgar Wright said about his Ant-Man script, back in 2006:

http://www.superherohype.com/features/articles/91587-exclusive-edgar-wright-talks-ant-man

While it may have changed plenty in the years since then, his recent hinting since suggests that's still the basic premise.

Yes, sorry, their speculation was that it could be both JGL and Rudd. Which makes some degree of sense given how wildly different they are in age and tone to be up for the same role. I still don't feel that JGL is a match for this material but apparently Marvel has a huge boner for him, as he was a runner-up to Chris Pratt for Star-Lord as well.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Well a lot of people have been speculating that it will be about Bruce Wayne coming to Metropolis, and that the entire movie could be set there. Which would let the filmmakers hold off on figuring out this incarnation of Gotham.

It would appear that this will not be entirely accurate.
I have underlined the key word in your post. Fans talk the biggest load of poo poo.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HTJ posted:

I have underlined the key word in your post. Fans talk the biggest load of poo poo.

Nonsense, everybody remembers when Bill Cosby was The Riddler :downsrim:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

In the Robocop remake trailer they did a big sweeping shot of Detroit/Metro City on fire and pretty much CGIed buildings on the Windsor side of the border and acted like it was all Detroit.

Because in the future we go to war with Canada and we annex all of Windsor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tripwyre posted:

I still don't feel that JGL is a match for this material but apparently Marvel has a huge boner for him, as he was a runner-up to Chris Pratt for Star-Lord as well.

I think quite a few people in Hollywood have a boner for JGL. Dude is just plain in-demand right now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

In the Robocop remake trailer they did a big sweeping shot of Detroit/Metro City on fire and pretty much CGIed buildings on the Windsor side of the border and acted like it was all Detroit.

Robocop 1 was worse, because it was obviously Dallas completely, throughout. I do like the idea of Detroit annexing Windsor though.

But as far as Batman/Superman, for more info in general, they apparently booked a good set of time to shoot in Detroit and throughout Michigan, so it's pretty much set as long as that doesn't fall through. I'm normally too lazy to extra in much (I do it for fun or to look at directors do their thing), but I'm definitely going to make sure I'm in that.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I think quite a few people in Hollywood have a boner for JGL. Dude is just plain in-demand right now.

I didn't think I'd like Don Jon but ended up enjoying it. Mostly because of the ridiculous way he walked in it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

Robocop 1 was worse, because it was obviously Dallas completely, throughout. I do like the idea of Detroit annexing Windsor though.

But as far as Batman/Superman, for more info in general, they apparently booked a good set of time to shoot in Detroit and throughout Michigan, so it's pretty much set as long as that doesn't fall through. I'm normally too lazy to extra in much (I do it for fun or to look at directors do their thing), but I'm definitely going to make sure I'm in that.

In the commentary they mentioned how they chose Dallas specifically because that skyscraper that was used for the OCP headquarters (I think it's a Bank of America building now?) is outlined with green lighting that looked super futuristic for the time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLI2-0Jsvi0

Of course the lights were not working while filming there, I think on the commentary track Ed Neumeier recalls though that, of course on the last flight out after they were done they saw it light up as they were flying away. :haw:

I'm really happy with them using Detroit for Gotham City, it's perfect. I mean yeah, if you want to get technical parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn are "perfect" but there's no way they'd be able to set up filming in the areas where it would matter. Doing the NYSE on location though was brilliant though. The script called for sanitation and construction vehicles blocking traffic right around that corner, I doubt anyone outside even noticed something was being filmed.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

This might be a little different because it's an Edgar Wright flick (he seems like a director with enough ideas for other movies, and enough people who are willing to give him money for something else, that he has a bit more control over what happens in his films, or he'll walk) and Marvel seems to be giving directors freer reign in Phase 2, but the important thing to keep in mind is that Marvel frequently likes to negotiate contracts through headlines. Remember when John Krasinski was going to be Captain America and Alexander Skarsgard was going to be Thor?

After seeing the fight choreography and eefects in The World's End (especially the bathroom fight) I can't wait to see what he is going to be able to do with a Marvel Budget.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Why is Ultron the new bad guy in Avengers? What's so special about him? Is he a real serious threat that need the entire Avenger team to defeat? Tell me some cool facts about Ultron that would make me think he is badass.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Hand of the King posted:

Why is Ultron the new bad guy in Avengers? What's so special about him? Is he a real serious threat that need the entire Avenger team to defeat? Tell me some cool facts about Ultron that would make me think he is badass.

I dunno, think the matrix or terminator I guess? He's not just an evil robot, he's a pervasive AI that never completely goes away and is always upgrading/learning.

Buddington fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 21, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hand of the King posted:

He's a super-intelligent evolving robot often made out of indestructible metal.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

He's got a scary face.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Hand of the King posted:

He's James Spader.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

He's got a scary face.

This sounds like a joke, but in all seriousness Ultron has a bitchin' face.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

mind the walrus posted:

This sounds like a joke, but in all seriousness Ultron has a bitchin' face.

Kit Harington to play young Ultron.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also depending on whose writing it he has a creepy Oedipus complex which results in the worst line of dialog ever committed to a text and picture work of art wherein his creator beats him up by saying "I guess that makes me the motherfucker!"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Barudak posted:

Also depending on whose writing it he has a creepy Oedipus complex which results in the worst line of dialog ever committed to a text and picture work of art wherein his creator beats him up by saying "I guess that makes me the motherfucker!"

Let's please never mention Jeph Loeb or Ultimates 3 ever again in this thread, TIA.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Ultron tricked the Avengers into completely loving up time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Senor Candle posted:

Mostly Wolverine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah, if that was what Bendis had written from the start I'd have enjoyed it a whole lot more.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ultron also killed an entire fictional country's worth of people in the 90s, if I'm not mistaken.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

Ultron also killed an entire fictional country's worth of people in the 90s, if I'm not mistaken.

It led to the greatest panel in Avenger's history:

And then Ultron still beat the piss out of them afterwards, and Hank Pym had to do some sneaky stuff to take him out. So Ultron is a pretty scary dude in universe, if not out.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Maybe it will all tie together in the end but I don't understand how Thanos, Ultron, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and the already established Avengers fit into a single film together, unless they drop Thanos and keep him as a sequel villain, in which case I feel like Ultron is just a distraction from the plot momentum built up in Avengers/Guardians.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm guessing Thanos is the villain of Guardians of the Galaxy and he gets beat up there. It'd be weird to have Age of Ultron ultimately end up as just filler.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Hand of the King posted:

Going from the Avengers cartoon;

Ant Man doesn't like violence. He builds the Ultron robots as guards for a supervillain prison. They know only about maintaining the peace.

Kang the Conquerer, an alien whose name pretty much tells you everything you need to know, comes around and the Avengers need some help taking him down. The Ultron robots get weaponized.

One of the Ultron robots gains self-awareness after (as a result of?) this battle, and the concepts of peace and violence it has been programmed with lead it to conclude that humanity must die in order for there to be peace.

Ultron is a walking, murderous super-computer that can think, learn, and adapt. Its body is made of adamantium, making it almost indestructible. It can upgrade its own systems and weapons (in some cases, instantaneously), it can control minds, it can build replicants, it can access other computer systems and upload its conscious into them. It cannot ever be finished off because there is always a backup of it somewhere, upgrading itself beyond the previous version.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Thanos being the villain of a film which doesn't really tie into the Avengers at all, especially given the ending of the latter, would also be a really weird story choice.

I kind of feel like Ultron would be a much better Avengers 3 villain, bringing the franchise back down to a more Earthly focus after Guardians has had a proper chance to spin-off into its own thing.

As it stands I really don't see how Ultron is going to work here, especially when he also has to share screen time with two brand new Avengers who introduce a new concept to MCU - registered gifteds.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

PriorMarcus posted:

Maybe it will all tie together in the end but I don't understand how Thanos, Ultron, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and the already established Avengers fit into a single film together, unless they drop Thanos and keep him as a sequel villain, in which case I feel like Ultron is just a distraction from the plot momentum built up in Avengers/Guardians.

I believe Thanos is the villain for Avengers 3.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Jamesman posted:

Ultron is a walking, murderous super-computer that can think, learn, and adapt. Its body is made of adamantium, making it almost indestructible. It can upgrade its own systems and weapons (in some cases, instantaneously), it can control minds, it can build replicants, it can access other computer systems and upload its conscious into them. It cannot ever be finished off because there is always a backup of it somewhere, upgrading itself beyond the previous version.

So he's skynet with a toyetic robot body.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wonder if they'd add Proxima Midnight, Supergiant and the others Hickman created for his posse. I'd figure he'd come to Earth and invade but...drat I wish we'd get Black Panther and Wakanda making a stand, Namor and Atlantis, and an epic Avengers cast with Ms. Marvel too.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah, I never got the impression that Thanos is going to be anything more than just a background presence in GotG and Avengers 2 (at least when they went with Ultron). I would imagine he's being set up as the big bad for Avengers 3, and that would make sense considering how powerful the guy is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So maybe Tony makes Ultron to defend against Thanos (though at the time Tony might only know there is a bigger threat coming) but ultimately it goes wrong seems like a reasonable idea of the direction the film might take?

In which case, how would Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver fit in?

Mutants seem kind of out of the blue.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Yonic Symbolism posted:

So he's skynet with a toyetic robot body.

Throw in a dash of Borg and some HAL in there, and you're about right.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
My guess is like Loki having the Mind Gem, Ultron will also have one of the Infinity Gems, and it's to further setup Avengers 3.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
drat. Ultron's a scary mofo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

God I hope we get James Spader voicing one of these Ultrons in the movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I'm guessing Thanos is the villain of Guardians of the Galaxy and he gets beat up there. It'd be weird to have Age of Ultron ultimately end up as just filler.

Ronan and Nebula will be villains or at least antagonistic forces in GotG. Thanos will definitely be established, but won't be the primary villain. They're saving that for Avengers 3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Infinity Gauntlet is definitely where it feels like the franchise is heading which is cool but at the same time I think the films are going to have a very hard time recovering after that plot thread is dealt with. Of course by then several Disney executives will have become richer than Croesus so what do they care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

God I hope we get James Spader voicing one of these Ultrons in the movie.

Who builds a robot and just installs angry eyes? This seems like an easily avoidable conflict.

• Locked thread