Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DrNutt posted:

but that is nearly 800 dollars for an ugly rear end chair.
Never heard of Herman Miller either, huh? Welcome to the expensive world of chairs that don't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

poptart_fairy posted:

Do we have a thread for Warface at all? I'm curious about reading up on the game but I'm mostly finding stupid back and forth about the female skins' tits.

I tried it for like... 45 minutes or so a while back and I honestly thought it played like poo poo.

notZaar posted:

Oh, we had those chairs at my last job. They're nice but I'm not about to shell out that kind of dough on an office chair.

Really? I'm budgeting for one like that right now. A good chair is one of the most important purchases you can make if you're sitting at a computer all the time. I think I was looking at an Aeron chair that was something like $1300, though unfortunately that's a little(a lot) out of my reach.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
It doesn't even need to be $1000, you can get really, really good chairs for half that and while that might still seem like a shitload of money for a chair, you really cannot appreciate how much a good chair is worth until you've sat in one for a day.

Even the difference between a $100 and a $400 chair is often like night and day.

If you're like I used to be and spent entire days sitting on a cheap ~$50 - $100 chair you owe it to yourself to go to a couple of shops and sit through all of the more expensive chairs until you find one that suits you. And that can take a while. You'll know it's the right chair if it instantly feels good the moment you place your rear end on it.

Either way, a good chair is one of the best investments you can make if you're a fatty fat goon that sits in front of the computer all day.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Never heard of Herman Miller either, huh? Welcome to the expensive world of chairs that don't suck.

I wish my office subscribed to this ideal of chairs.

Dogfood
Feb 15, 2004

Part of every balanced meal.

Trump Office chairs were quite reasonable, I think Office Max sold them, I still have mine and it's like a couch on wheels, I would buy an extra in a second if they were still made.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I started a job today at an office that has Herman Miller Mirra chairs for every person. Lately my neck and back and right arm have been hurting a lot, probably because I spend a lot of time sitting in a weird position in a cheap bungee chair. Those Mirra chairs are very comfortable (very ugly in person though), spent the whole day sitting down in it and all that pain went away. I mean poo poo they have a 12 year guarantee on their chairs and you're going to be sitting in them for long periods of time, you can't afford 800 bucks over 12 years to make sure your back doesn't hurt?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The importance of a good chair really gets overlooked, people (myself included) will dump thousands of dollars into their computers over the years but sit in $50 generic chairs that cause terrible posture and fall apart in a couple years so they have to be replaced anyway.

If you want a really nice chair, try finding an office furniture liquidator in your area. I picked up a Steelcase Leap from one of those for about $380, and it's one of the best things I've bought, I wish I'd done it years ago. Although that's not an absolute steal, it's not bad for the condition it's in, and these chairs go new for $800 and upwards. Also they're built to last so a used one is a better investment than several generic ones.

Craigslist is another option, you can find some absolute steals on there, if you don't mind dealing with Craigslist.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I didn't mean to knock it or anything it's just like a whole new world revealed itself before my eyes. This could explain a lot about my recurring shoulder pains, though my time in front of the computer isn't honestly as much as some folks. And I've noticed a lot of pains have gone away now that I no longer have a desk job, so the only time I spend in front of a computer is for training or home use.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

All of my chair experiences just last a year before they break apart. I still have one that doesn't only lean back but also leans every direction as soon as you sit in it. Now I just sit in a drat lawn chair.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd build a standing desk before sitting in a lawn chair.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'd build a standing desk before sitting in a lawn chair.

That requires money. My desk is too tall for most of the smaller chairs and too short for the bigger chairs.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I got an Aeron coming up on 12 years ago (that's when their practically no-questions-asked warranty goes out) and the chair is basically still like new. Granted, I'm the only one that sits in it, I don't have pets, I don't have kids, I don't weigh over 200 lbs, etc.... but not once did I have a problem with the chair during it's entire lifetime... and while I wouldn't be able to get free maintenance/replacement if it suddenly broke into a hundred pieces spontaneously, I would, in a second, spend another 1K on another one.

I sit on Mirras where I work. Personally I like the mesh better than the plastic holey thing, but they are very comparable. Long story short, I think Herman Miller makes excellent chairs and while I never needed the warranty, it's a pretty good reason to look past the high price tag.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Essobie posted:

I got an Aeron coming up on 12 years ago (that's when their practically no-questions-asked warranty goes out) and the chair is basically still like new. Granted, I'm the only one that sits in it, I don't have pets, I don't have kids, I don't weigh over 200 lbs, etc.... but not once did I have a problem with the chair during it's entire lifetime... and while I wouldn't be able to get free maintenance/replacement if it suddenly broke into a hundred pieces spontaneously, I would, in a second, spend another 1K on another one.

I sit on Mirras where I work. Personally I like the mesh better than the plastic holey thing, but they are very comparable. Long story short, I think Herman Miller makes excellent chairs and while I never needed the warranty, it's a pretty good reason to look past the high price tag.

If you're a fat goon then they also offer big sized versions of their chairs, everyone wins!

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Anybody with Windows 8.1 been impacted by this reported mouse issue, yet? From reddit back on Oct. 17th, though a few fixes to attempt have been posted since then:

http://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/1oor43/windows_81_warning_for_gamers_issues_with/?sort=confidence

quote:

Just a warning to everyone who games on their PC and has Windows 8 installed: do not upgrade to WINDOWS 8.1. Something about Window's relationship with your mouse has been altered (specifically, the Multi DPI improvement for multiple monitors) and this causes those games that don't read raw mouse data to become close-to unplayable.

I stumbled upon this issue because it affects two (!) games I'm trying to play through right now, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and STALKER: Call of Prypiat. Hacking in Human Revolution is particularly unplayable with this issue. Reading around the internet for support, apparently Call of Duty is affected as well.

Just thought I'd release a friendly warning! If anyone has any links to work-arounds, I'd appreciate it just as much!

Kinda :smith:'s me out since I'm in the middle of building a new PC for gaming and ordered a fresh install of Win 8.1 to put on it.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Oh, as a bonus, found this online Breaking-bad like clicking game that's appears fun (free and for the browser).

http://clickingbad.nullism.com/

What I like about it compared to the cookie game is that you don't have to be clicking like crazy all the time.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nnnotime posted:

Anybody with Windows 8.1 been impacted by this reported mouse issue, yet? From reddit back on Oct. 17th, though a few fixes to attempt have been posted since then:

http://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/1oor43/windows_81_warning_for_gamers_issues_with/?sort=confidence

Kinda :smith:'s me out since I'm in the middle of building a new PC for gaming and ordered a fresh install of Win 8.1 to put on it.

I haven't had any problems, been using 8.1 for a month or so. I haven't played either of those games though. I have played Borderlands 2, Alan Wake, bunch of other stuff besides those games.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
To be fair I've been pretty content with windows 8 so I don't mind waiting.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Ularg posted:

To be fair I've been pretty content with windows 8 so I don't mind waiting.

To be fair I've been pretty content with windows 7 so I don't mind waiting either.

Hoping Microsoft gets their poo poo together for Win9

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

macnbc posted:

Hoping Microsoft Valve gets their poo poo together for Win9 SteamOS

:getin:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

macnbc posted:

To be fair I've been pretty content with windows 7 so I don't mind waiting either.

Hoping Microsoft gets their poo poo together for Win9

I'm building my sister a new W7 computer for Christmas using my old code. Figured I go to W8 for DirectX updates and such and because I don't mind Metro. I kind of like it.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

I've bought huge gaming cases with loads of fans before, fancy gaming mouses, steelseries mouse mats and I have two steelseries keyboards, but the best money I have ever spent on my computer gaming, is on my chair.

The £900 a Herman Miller Aeron costs from the shops picked up was a bit rich for me, so I got one for £150 from some officeware liquidator company I found on Ebay. I needed to replace my "fancy" 2 year old, £300 leather executive office chair thing that all the padding had worn out on and was terrible to sit in.

The Aeron is amazing. It looked pretty much new when I got it and its done me well for a few years so far with no sign of wearing out. Its got every kind of adjustment imagineable, so much so that I was really uncomfortable for the first week or two while I was finding out how to set it up for my body.
You can adjust the lumbar height, lumbar depth, front lean length, back lean length, front and back lean return strength, height, armrest height, how far the armrests go out, the seat can slide back and forward independently of the backrest, and they even come in three different sizes for small people/normal people/fat people

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 22, 2013

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

TheCoon posted:

$100 doesn't seem bad, I'm definitely interested in trying one of these out.

There are some images in that anandtech link of GSYNC in comparison to regular v-sync.

This unironically seems like a brilliant and promising idea. The only problem is waiting for new monitors which would utilize this technology.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ularg posted:

That requires money. My desk is too tall for most of the smaller chairs and too short for the bigger chairs.
You can just stack assorted crap on your regular desk until your computer is at the right height for you. A big box or hard packaging foam (the kind your computer probably shipped in), then add books or cardboard or whatever to get the height where you want it.

Obviously you will eventually want a more permanent solution, but the ghetto approach is a zero-cost start if you just want to see if standing works for you.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Reason posted:

I haven't had any problems, been using 8.1 for a month or so. I haven't played either of those games though. I have played Borderlands 2, Alan Wake, bunch of other stuff besides those games.
I've still had lots of issues with this. Borderlands 2 worked well after the compatibility change on its executable but lots of games seem to still have issues. Maybe they don't adhere to that setting, but regardless it's really annoying.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

NihilCredo posted:

You can just stack assorted crap on your regular desk until your computer is at the right height for you. A big box or hard packaging foam (the kind your computer probably shipped in), then add books or cardboard or whatever to get the height where you want it.

Obviously you will eventually want a more permanent solution, but the ghetto approach is a zero-cost start if you just want to see if standing works for you.

Yeah, I'd like to stand or at the very least try one of those kneel chairs.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I tried it for like... 45 minutes or so a while back and I honestly thought it played like poo poo.

Really? I'm budgeting for one like that right now. A good chair is one of the most important purchases you can make if you're sitting at a computer all the time. I think I was looking at an Aeron chair that was something like $1300, though unfortunately that's a little(a lot) out of my reach.

OK but what I mean is I've actually used those chairs and they don't encourage good posture anymore that the crappy folding chair I'm using at home. They're just more comfortable to slouch in.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

notZaar posted:

OK but what I mean is I've actually used those chairs and they don't encourage good posture anymore that the crappy folding chair I'm using at home. They're just more comfortable to slouch in.

The only chairs I find 'force' good posture are wooden chairs because of how god drat uncomfortable they are to slouch in.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Because of the whole internet never stop talking good things about the G500 mouse and siblings I decided to buy one to check it out. My A4Tech mouse (bw-27d model) still works pretty well even after 4 years or so but still I wanted to know what is the fuzz all about and holy poo poo I'm not disappointed.
I just received but I already can tell the benefits of having a heavier, bigger, mouse but the best thing so far is the two-mode mouse wheel. The hyper-scrolling mode is really loving cool for browsing despite of being a little bit too loose sometimes.

program666 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 24, 2013

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Chair Chat: I've found that chair's dont have to be hilariously expensive to be comfortable. ($900 wtf :psyduck:)

I have a £60 (~$100) IKEA chair which tilts back as one solid unit. Which means that your back stays in good posture but it's more comfortable because you're kinda lying down at the same time.

A bit like this, though not exactly -

Note how the angle between the back and the seat doesnt change. I've used some chairs at work where the back tilts more than the seat base and that was uncomfortable as hell.

This one is awesome though and I worry about it breaking because Ikea don't sell it any more. I've already cannibalised another broken one for parts to keep this one going twice. Had it for like 8 years now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Trip report:

Self healing cutting mats are pretty nice mouse pads. I bought a 18x24 one for various use and it's a nice mousing surface. So I highly recommend the linked one if any of you is looking for a mouse pad. I almost bought a 24x32 sheet because I'm an idiot who can't mentally visualize the imperial system and until I realized it was the size of one of the production prints at my job I went with the smaller one. Anyway the mat works well for as a mousepad and doubles for other hobbies, so definitely check them ot.

Also I was at best buy and impulse bought a steelseries mousepad for ten bucks. Unless you're a competitive fps player, I also recommend this because it's just big enough for low sensitivities without taking up too much desk space. If you're shopping around for mousepads, keep both of these recommendations in mind as you should not be disappointed with either of them.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Glad you like it! I have an 18x36 both at home and at work and I simply put my keyboard on top of it as well as the mouse.

Pro-tip: get some fine sandpaper and smooth the edge on the top on the side facing you or it can do a number on your wrists/forearms.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

nVidia has announced a release date for Shadowplay (again). October 28th. The only downside is that you have to install GeForce Experience to get it, which does various stupid things, such as create a new user account for itself, and harvest your non-personal data.

This is out or leaked early or something. I don't know anything about recording video but it seems pretty nice for a beta release. You can set it to record the last 20 minutes of gameplay continuously for a pretty marginal fps loss on the games I tested(Arkham Origins/Tomb Raider).

Apparently you're limited to shadowing 10 minutes(3.8gb of 1080p/60fps) on Windows 7 but you can go up to at least 20 on Windows 8.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

You can adjust the lumbar support on better chairs? poo poo, I thought that was limited to kind-of-expensive cars. Now I'm gonna have to find one too. (At least, after Christmas shopping and probably the next furlough in January :mad:)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

You can adjust the lumbar support on better chairs? poo poo, I thought that was limited to kind-of-expensive cars. Now I'm gonna have to find one too. (At least, after Christmas shopping and probably the next furlough in January :mad:)

Like every decent higher end office chair has a ton of adjustments available. Seat depth, lumbar support, tilt, recline tension, height, armrest height, etc.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just wanna touch on the 8.1 issue above, I haven't had any issues, though I don't play the games mentioned.

Also someone give me some money so I can buy a nice chair. Actually, I just have my PC connected to my TV, so I have a roller desk thing for my mouse and keyboard but just a ~$90 office chair to go with it.

I'm thinking about going wireless and just getting some kind of thing to go across my lap as I have a couch in my room. I saw a great setup on the Battlefield facebook page, someone just had a board put across the arms of a living room chair for the mouse and keyboard, with the right chair it would be perfect. It would probably be even better with a couch/loveseat if you could have the surface for your input devices on a swivel. I've actually seen single seater chairs at school that have a little table you can swing in/out, maybe I can dispel this idea of mocking something up myself.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

codo27 posted:

Just wanna touch on the 8.1 issue above, I haven't had any issues, though I don't play the games mentioned.

Also someone give me some money so I can buy a nice chair. Actually, I just have my PC connected to my TV, so I have a roller desk thing for my mouse and keyboard but just a ~$90 office chair to go with it.

I'm thinking about going wireless and just getting some kind of thing to go across my lap as I have a couch in my room. I saw a great setup on the Battlefield facebook page, someone just had a board put across the arms of a living room chair for the mouse and keyboard, with the right chair it would be perfect. It would probably be even better with a couch/loveseat if you could have the surface for your input devices on a swivel. I've actually seen single seater chairs at school that have a little table you can swing in/out, maybe I can dispel this idea of mocking something up myself.

drat, that monitor height would drive me crazy. I'm not sure you'll be able to find any chair that won't give you massive neck pain from that setup :stare:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It doesn't bother me at all, and I try to practice good posture as much as possible. I do have one of those entertainment unit dealies from Walmart that would have the TV sit much lower, but this works for me at the moment.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's fine if it doesn't bother you, but most ergo guides recommend that the top of your monitor should be in line with your eye level. Of course, that's for computer desks sitting 2-3 feet from you.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Been watching this Steelcase Leap on e-Bay. Anyone know if the cracked plastic part mentioned on the back would effect its supportiveness at all?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steelcase...=item2ecb35088f

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Is there a seperate thread about https://www.cardhunter.com ? This is the first freemium AND first browser game I've played that feels equal to something I'd spend 20 dollars on. I lost a whole weekend to it thanks to the writeup in game informer.

• Locked thread