Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Verviticus posted:

I can't quite figure out why it would be useful though!

For platforms over lava maybe? Also you can lead stairs to the lowered platforms with a ramp without needing to hold up but it won't work with default platforms. I need to experiment with this some more because the half blocks would work too, but there's some glitchiness if they lead into a wall.

e: Oh wow, the behavior with lowered platforms and blocks in all configurations is quirky as hell. It's hard to explain, if I had any way to make videos or gifs it would be easier. I'd recommend you guys play around with it some, I managed to sink into a wall sort of with the way a lowered block interacted with stairs leading into said wall.

e: The more I gently caress with this the stranger it gets. Standing two blocks below the platforms and raising them puts me on top of said platforms. If this would put me in an area with blocks I just go through them and can jump up through them so long as there's no blocks above me that I'm not stuck in.

e: I can do similar things with slope blocks, though it's much more limited. It's possible to go through the ceiling or a wall if you go on a \ facing slope, but you can't do it on a / slope.

e: Finally loving realized I don't need to explain as much with a visual aid, and it doesn't even need to move.

Okay, there I am in the center wearing my nerd costume, each of those holes has a lowered platform. If I hammer the platform at my head it will move me on top of it. I can use the platforms to get to the top and jump out of the rock. While in the rock I can only move to where I'd be able to normally, and it treats the rock I'm standing in as if it weren't there.

Over to the left is a half block and a lowered platform in the place above it. If I land on the half block I sink through it. This works on the ground too, but I was trying to see if I could fall through it if there were nothing below the half block, which didn't happen.

To the lower right is a regular block with a lowered platform on top of it. It acts like the blocks of old and I can't walk over it. Not the most exciting thing, I know.

At the bottom middle I can step slightly onto that slope and hammer it once to move through the one block wall to the left of it. I can't go from left to right because of the order of the shapes the block makes when hammering it. If I were to try from the left while that wall is there it kicks me off the block. If I were to try without the wall it makes the block normal again and I'd have my head in the ceiling, and I'd be able to jump through if it were only one block thick.

I need to think of other edge cases so I can come up with new experiments. I can only imagine what crazy poo poo will happen once red adds sloped ceilings and top half blocks.

Akett fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Oh, just me and my new friend, hanging out under the blood moon.

Frost Hydra Staff best staff.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Did 1.2 mess up using blocks to multiply liquids? I started playing right before the update and I had seen videos of people doing it, but now that I'm able to, I just get the waterfall effect and the liquid doesn't split when it hits the mid-air blocks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anyone interested in some multi but not have a server? I might either open up my just-barely-pre-hardmode Giant Fuckoff Sword world, or start a new big world, and bring it online.

But I'd only want to let on people I know, because the internet is a dick.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MR. J posted:

Mix with Night owl potions for optimal effect.

Hunter and Spelunking potions on top of those result in you seeing pretty much everything at all times.

I stick torches/throw glowsticks everywhere until I get a flare gun, then I launch flares everywhere since they last for 10 minutes or so.

Kenny Logins posted:

You probably already know this, but having gotten 4 broken hero blades in the one and only eclipse i've had, the terra blade isn't really worth waiting/farming for, honestly.

The lack/reduction of auto-swing weapons makes me wonder if Red seriously hates his players or just throws the effect on to gear on a loving whim. Make all weapons autoswing. Congratulations, people will now play the game and not rely heavily on pick/axe/hammer usage for fighting methods hat don't involve crippling yourself after hours of gameplay.

Cicadalek posted:

The Death Sickle honestly seems like the best melee weapon in the game. Tons of damage, goes through walls, and you can hold the button down. Vampire knives might beat them out with the lifeleech, but they seem to take longer to kill bosses and groups of enemies.

Terra Blade is nice for long range, but if you want to kill stuff at long range why be melee.

Is it faster than the Paladin Hammer? Because that hammer completely melts multi-segment things like the Destroyer.

RatHat posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the best potions use Daybloom as ingredients? I'm always running low on them, even with a farm.

It's easier to just get a bunch of keys from Plantera and get energy cells from other worlds.

It's even easier to just use teleporters in new worlds and skip Plantera. Or just dig right through the wall if you're farming for another picksaw since that implies you already got one to drop from the golem.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is it faster than the Paladin Hammer? Because that hammer completely melts multi-segment things like the Destroyer.

It's not faster but the individual sickle projectiles hit multiple segments multiple times and you can swing it so fast you have 4-5 out at a time combined with the damage of the sickle itself. I'm guessing the pure DPS is higher vs the Destroyer because of that but I dunno for sure, the Paladin Hammer has the benefit of doing high single hit damage so it's reduced proportionally less by enemies' defense.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hah, of course when I only need 1 more broken hero blade I get 4 in a single eclipse :v:

Well I've pretty much done everything. Once I get enough ectoplasm for the rest of the Spectre stuff I'm gonna take a break until the Halloween update.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Evil Fluffy posted:

The lack/reduction of auto-swing weapons makes me wonder if Red seriously hates his players or just throws the effect on to gear on a loving whim. Make all weapons autoswing. Congratulations, people will now play the game and not rely heavily on pick/axe/hammer usage for fighting methods hat don't involve crippling yourself after hours of gameplay.
He could totally do this too, giving every weapon autoswing was the easiest change I made back in TConfig.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Got a few friends to try the game for the first time and I started over with them. I've been hosting a server and actually building things this time like this bridge and tower.

I'm happy with them. :unsmith:

(This world has been both great and terrible to me. That Ice Sword? Annoying prefix, meaning -25% damage. To balance that though, the dungeon had a Water Bolt right in the entryway!)

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Akett posted:

To the lower right is a regular block with a lowered platform on top of it. It acts like the blocks of old and I can't walk over it. Not the most exciting thing, I know.
On the contrary! It may not be as incredibly bizarre as other plank/halfblock interactions, or as grandiosely evil as some traps, but with this information, I think you have given us what is potentially the most insanely infuriating thing to do to people in early game multiplayer.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Verviticus posted:

Is there any value to hammering platforms, other than aesthetically? They already don't interact with most things and you can't run up them like stairs.

The new waterfalls won't pass through a lowered platform; whereas they will pass through a normal platform.

You would think with some wiring-fu you'd be able to make waterfalls that change location as people walk over pressure plates using the lowered platforms; but even if you actuate a lowered platform into the background, it still doesn't let the waterfall pass through it.

Perhaps this illustrates the behavior.

I suppose that's just more aesthetics.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Verviticus posted:

Is there any value to hammering platforms, other than aesthetically? They already don't interact with most things and you can't run up them like stairs.

If you stack two stairs vertically, you can make an instant-elevator. Just jump onto the lowest step, and you'll rocket up to the top step. Like this:

-_
-_
-_
-_
-_

Just don't try to descend the stairs haha. This is probably a bug though, although I hope it never gets fixed because its great for towers.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If you're looking for building ideas, here's a post with some buildings from the patch beta server. I like the "slime world" one, though it took me a second.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So there was a corruption where I didn't want one, and I looked at it and was like, "Yeah I can do that."

So now I'm in the middle of tearing out an entire corruption biome. Dear god, what have I gotten myself into.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Keiya posted:

So there was a corruption where I didn't want one, and I looked at it and was like, "Yeah I can do that."

So now I'm in the middle of tearing out an entire corruption biome. Dear god, what have I gotten myself into.

There's an endgame tool that can basically do that for you in probably a small percentage of the time it'll take you doing whatever you're doing.

e: unless by "tearing out" you mean literally tearing it out, in which case gently caress yeah dynamite it up

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

I like the "slime world" one, though it took me a second.

Speaking of slime I finally decided to try something a little more elaborate than gray stone tenement. I had a million gels so I figured why not do something with all that goo? So I constructed The Temple of Three Slimes:

Made entirely of slime with a little glowing mushroom for color it is the ultimate tribute to the most fundamental part of the Terraria ecosystem. There are seven tiers to ascend as one draws closer to the mysteries of the slime. The capstone is the world-famous Three Slime Shrine where an aspiring mendicant can, with the flip of a switch, meditate on the humility and simplicity of the slime and ponder how to incorporate the lessons thus learned into their own lives.

The interior is not quite complete yet. And there's only space for the most privileged of NPCs. I'm also thinking of painting each tier a different color. Slimes don't just come in a single color, after all. Sorry for the ui jank on the bottom but it didn't quite fit on one screen.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

30 mannequins scattered around my base, and I only just have enough space for all my wardrobe. If I find practically ANYTHING else that doesn't complete one of my incomplete sets I'm going to have to start putting mannequins where they don't make sense.

The advice from a few goons about using the material your chests are resting on as a key to what's in them was pretty good, too. I just spent the better part of a day moving the junk and detritus from five worlds into my main base and organizing it all. On the left, in the normal chests on dirt, are natural ground blocks. Of note: 30,000 stone blocks. The shadow chests on dungeon brick are the man-made or otherwise more decorative blocks, including cloud blocks and metallic bricks. The gold chests are going to be metals, gems, and ores, I haven't finished migrating all of those yet. The ice chests are overflow or undecided, although the bottom chest is full of statues. And the skyware chests are decorative elements. On top is dyes and dye-producers, in the middle are paintings and lights, and the bottom chest is furniture.

The migrating itself was mostly tedium, but it's nice not having to look in three different worlds trying to remember where I put, for instance, my sunplate blocks.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

At the first day of the new patch - a snow biome, that'll be fun!

20 hours later I hate the snow music. Do music boxes just override the music of a biome?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Harlock posted:

At the first day of the new patch - a snow biome, that'll be fun!

20 hours later I hate the snow music. Do music boxes just override the music of a biome?

Yes. You can either wear it in your accessory slot or put it on the ground and turn it on and it'll change the music as long as it's on the screen. They're nice for a change of pace. Try the ocean biome's track.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Finally got the last thing I needed (Wizard Emblem) from the Wall of Flesh after like 20 kills, and made my Avenger Emblem, and rolled it with an extra 3% damage modifier for 15% total. So glad I don't need to farm the WoF anymore, but a cool side effect of making my Hell Highway, is that I made the whole thing from dirt, so I now can get about 6 full stacks of Blinkroot just by running down the length of it swinging my sword. ALso, the part of hell with The Hallow above it started spawning a bunch of crystals all over the hell Highway, so I've got an easy way to farm those too.

I decided to take on Skeletron Prime, and literally .05 seconds before I used the item, the message "You feel a terrible chill around you" appeared. So, yeah, I fought 2 Skeletron Primes at once. DId pretty respectable too but the dual spike-head ramming did me in. Later I summoned just one and killed him pretty handily

Also did pretty well on the Twins, though the cursed fire debuff is what got me that time. I think I'll swap out my Cross Necklace for a Nazar next time I go after him.

The Lizhard temple/Hard Mode Dungeon is tempting me and I want to try and take Plantera on. Quick question - Am I missing anything obvious before I try and take on Plantera? Is the general accepted tactic to train him to the surface? I'm currently sporting full Chlorophyte armor with either melee or ranged helm depending on meed, and I've got an Excalibur and Megashark with Crystal/Chlorophyte ammo. How hard is it to find those jungle bulbs to summon him? I swear I haven't seen one of those yet and I've been mining hardmode jungle underground for a while now for Chlorophyte.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I've been carrying a music box around for like three nights now hoping another solar eclipse will happen so I can record its bitchin' music :( I love the glowing mushroom biome music but it gets kind of maddening if your house is there and it starts blipping and blooping away every single time you start the game, use the magic mirror, die, or simply walk past your house.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mental Midget posted:

Also did pretty well on the Twins, though the cursed fire debuff is what got me that time. I think I'll swap out my Cross Necklace for a Nazar next time I go after him.

The Nazar (or Countercurse Mantra/Ankh Charm/Ankh Shield) don't block Cursed Inferno, just the flat "Curse" debuff (the one that prevents you from using items). Just use a Cloud/Blizzard/Sandstorm in a Balloon + a pair of Wings + Lightning Boots and you should have enough mobility to avoid it 95%+ of the time.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

The Nazar (or Countercurse Mantra/Ankh Charm/Ankh Shield) don't block Cursed Inferno, just the flat "Curse" debuff (the one that prevents you from using items). Just use a Cloud/Blizzard/Sandstorm in a Balloon + a pair of Wings + Lightning Boots and you should have enough mobility to avoid it 95%+ of the time.

Oh, okay that is a helpful tip. Hmm, maybe I need a pair of wings then , because I do have those other mobility items.

Edit: \/ Yeah, I think my boss arena isn't long enough too, to help me get the room to run at full speed from Spaz when he unleashes the flames. Time to make some wooden platforms!

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 22, 2013

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Mental Midget posted:

Oh, okay that is a helpful tip. Hmm, maybe I need a pair of wings then , because I do have those other mobility items.

I made the same mistake. But follow kyrosiris's advice and it'll be really easy. When I fight the twins I find myself not really flying all that often but the lightning boots are a godsend, the flames rarely even catch up to me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hummingbirds posted:

I made the same mistake. But follow kyrosiris's advice and it'll be really easy. When I fight the twins I find myself not really flying all that often but the lightning boots are a godsend, the flames rarely even catch up to me.

Yeah, I only really fly when Spazmatism is in his phase 2 charge mode - flight with a X in a Balloon is just fast enough to evade the charges and then you have enough distance to not be in his flamethrower spew.

Amusingly, flying straight up also dodges Retinazer's berserk laser spam during phase 2.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Mental Midget posted:

Edit: \/ Yeah, I think my boss arena isn't long enough too, to help me get the room to run at full speed from Spaz when he unleashes the flames. Time to make some wooden platforms!

Don't fight the Twins in an arena, just run across the surface. If you keep moving at a moderate distance then you'll be able to avoid most of the melee attacks and bring down the lasers to a fairly sedate relative speed. Hose 'em down with whatever powerful ranged weaponry/spells you've got (Megashark worked for me--the Destroyer is pretty easy to bring down with a Mushroom Spear, a small cave and zero potions) and you should only have to make a couple turn-arounds on a medium world.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Decided to do something a little different.
A cozy little home close to spawn.
not pictured is the npc stackhovels on the left side. :ssh:

Edit:
Oh, and something I found on 4chan.
Some guy made an insanely awesome treehouse.

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

Does anyone know why TEdit sometimes loads world files just fine, and other times can't read anything, asking you instead to force load, which just leads to a totally empty world? The maps themselves load just fine in Terraria. I can't find anything in google on the problem.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Yes. You can either wear it in your accessory slot or put it on the ground and turn it on and it'll change the music as long as it's on the screen. They're nice for a change of pace. Try the ocean biome's track.
Thanks. My next project is going to build a glass house above the ocean biome.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Ssthalar posted:

Decided to do something a little different.
A cozy little home close to spawn.
not pictured is the npc stackhovels on the left side. :ssh:

How are the rope thing done?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What do you mean? You just place rope.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

The merchant sells rope, and it's all over surface pots and chests, although you might not have seen any that way if you didn't start a new world.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Dez Orwell posted:

Did 1.2 mess up using blocks to multiply liquids? I started playing right before the update and I had seen videos of people doing it, but now that I'm able to, I just get the waterfall effect and the liquid doesn't split when it hits the mid-air blocks.

Sounds like you are trying to use a half block to multiply liquids. You have to use a full sized un-angled block. Hit it with a hammer until it is fixed.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Machai posted:

Sounds like you are trying to use a half block to multiply liquids. You have to use a full sized un-angled block. Hit it with a hammer until it is fixed.

Thanks, I'll have to mess around with it some more when I get home from work. I was hoping to set up a reservoir for each of the liquids and wasn't looking forward to hauling buckets.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dez Orwell posted:

Thanks, I'll have to mess around with it some more when I get home from work. I was hoping to set up a reservoir for each of the liquids and wasn't looking forward to hauling buckets.

The wiki also has a diagram for a system using pumps that generates infinite fluids over time. I used that myself to have ready-to-go reservoirs of water/lava/honey.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

The wiki also has a diagram for a system using pumps that generates infinite fluids over time. I used that myself to have ready-to-go reservoirs of water/lava/honey.

Is there a wiki page or guide that gives a step by step on how to build a lava bunker/eclipse meat grinder? I've seen a few examples in the thread but I've never built one before and want to know how to build bunkers of death that just let me scoop up all the loot afterwards.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
You pretty much just build a pit/area that guys can't jump out of. All you need is a tiny covering of lava at the bottom. Add traps to suit.

You can grab the loot from below or the sides of your pit area.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

crestfallen posted:

You pretty much just build a pit/area that guys can't jump out of. All you need is a tiny covering of lava at the bottom. Add traps to suit.

You can grab the loot from below or the sides of your pit area.
I actually prefer to put a wood platform above the lava pit and hide out underneath it. The AI will aggro downwards into the lava through the platform, but your coins won't get destroyed by your ultimate weapon.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
If the lava is spread thin enough the coins/items won't be damaged. I posted my bunker earlier in the thread (which was inspired by another one posted even earlier in the thread) and that does not melt loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

rodney mullenkamp posted:

The merchant sells rope, and it's all over surface pots and chests, although you might not have seen any that way if you didn't start a new world.

Pots only generate what they drop when you break them. I've gotten buff potions and ropes out of pots in a world I genned at release.

• Locked thread