Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Is anyone else having issues using the GTS?

I can search and deposit Pokémon without issues, but when I try to trade with another user, it goes "Cheching GTS status..." for a few seconds and then a gray screen with "A communication error has occured. Press the POWER Button, and end the game". Every single time, and I have to do just that, because it's impossible to return to the main menu using the Home button.

I just want a Fennekin, Jesus Christ. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Opposing Farce posted:

As far as I'm aware nobody's found any greater significance to it, but it stands to reason there's something to it because saying "No, you're not the one." is nothing if not begging the question.

When I first saw her I thought PLOT SPOILERS She may have been looking for AZ or something, but I doubt that's the case now

My guess is that she'll be used as a trigger point or a clue to an event legendary Ghost type or something similar, or perhaps she's trapped in a Nightmare and looking for Darkrai or something like that. Hooray, tinfoil hats.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Pentaro posted:

I can search and deposit Pokémon without issues, but when I try to trade with another user, it goes "Cheching GTS status..." for a few seconds and then a gray screen with "A communication error has occured. Press the POWER Button, and end the game". Every single time, and I have to do just that, because it's impossible to return to the main menu using the Home button.

Yeah, I see that about 50% of the time.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Pentaro posted:

So I'm not the only one having issues with it too. Yayyyyy.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Opposing Farce posted:

As far as I'm aware nobody's found any greater significance to it, but it stands to reason there's something to it because saying "No, you're not the one." is nothing if not begging the question.

My guess is that, like the ghost girl on the bridge in Black 1, it's setting up something for Z.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Cuckoo posted:

Really? Wow, nice. And I could give the everstone to the father to make sure it passes on its ability?

That's the way I've been doing it.

You breed two IVs onto your pokemon using the ditto holding the power item. Then you switch to that guy as your parent, give it the everstone and breed it to a safari zone ditto with another three perfect IVs holding a destiny knot. You then have a decent chance at 5 perfect IVs. There was a quick little image showing this earlier in the thread, but I have no idea where now.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cuckoo posted:

Outside of the Smogon circle? Not really. However, the greater the divide the more of a tough time you'll have making a bad one work. Pokemon are tiered that way for a reason and you can usually bet that an OU will do better than an NU doing the same role, barring gimmick sets. That being said, it's not impossible for NU Pokemon to work. You'll often find that an NU Pokemon on a mostly UU/OU team is a deadweight. I tried it - Ninetales (pre Gen V), Articuno and Persian were all NU. I tried my damndest to put them on a mixed tier WiFi team, and they always sucked giant balls and my team netted a lot more wins when they were replaced.

The important thing to keep in mind is that if you really want a RU/NU Pokemon on your main team, you'll need to give it the support it needs to fulfill its role. If it's a 4X Stealth Rock weak Pokemon you'd better have a Rapid Spinner and entry hazards to lay down yourself or it will be alive for maybe one turn.

That said, if you do manage to make it work it's hilarious to beat overused and uber competitors.

Alright, cool cool. I'm looking at tier Pokes, and it seems the tiers are most guided by what their weaknesses are? As in, if a Pokemon has a 4x weakness to three things, it's arguably going in NU or RU.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Cuckoo posted:

My IV luck has been hilariously bad. An entire day of breeding with Safari Dittos of the correct nature and none of my Pokemon have a single IV over 20...not in the right place, anyway. :(

I don't think you quite get how IV passing works. With no hold items, it stays completely random. If you give one parent a Power item, the stat corresponding to that power item is guaranteed to get passed on by that parent, along with one other random stat from between both of them. If either parent is holding a Destiny Knot, five random IVs between both of them are passed on. The effects don't stack, but a Power item on top of the Destiny Knot can at least guarantee what one of the five stats passed on will be.

e: And, yeah, if either parent is holding an Everstone that parent's nature will be guaranteed to pass on. If you're breeding for multiple perfect IVs it's best to not add the nature until the end, just so you have both the Destiny Knot and a Power item for the first couple of generations.

510rems
Mar 26, 2010
Just picked this gal up out of short (like, less than 15) fishing chain:

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yup, Shiny's do not exist in my game. My fishing chain is at 500+ and I'm in a spot where people said would work.

I give up

Are you killing them or catching them? As far as I can tell, you literally HAVE TO run to keep it as a chain. Check with the guy in the place where you get the super rod to see what your highest chain is.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The fishing chain sounds like it's probably just a placebo kind of thing that doesn't actually do anything to me. Like tipping and style.

I've encountered 3 shinies in 4~ hours of game time, so either it's real or I should go play the lotto.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 22, 2013

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Pentaro posted:

When that happened to me the pokemon I tried to send was still in the box, but the one I was trying to get was gone from the GTS. I hope that poor creature didn't get obliterated by a connection error. :ohdear:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yup, Shiny's do not exist in my game. My fishing chain is at 500+ and I'm in a spot where people said would work.

I give up

The fishing chain sounds like it's probably just a placebo kind of thing that doesn't actually do anything to me. Like tipping and style.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I give up

This would be a lovely way to discover that you are colorblind.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah, generally typing is huge in recent generations because Stealth Rock punishes rock weak types like Flying, Fire and Ice so harshly. For example, Heatran's typing is one of the reasons it has remained so dominant over the years.

LAY-ZX posted:

I don't think you quite get how IV passing works. With no hold items, it stays completely random. If you give one parent a Power item, the stat corresponding to that power item is guaranteed to get passed on by that parent, along with one other random stat from between both of them. If either parent is holding a Destiny Knot, five random IVs between both of them are passed on. The effects don't stack, but a Power item on top of the Destiny Knot can at least guarantee what one of the five stats passed on will be.

e: And, yeah, if either parent is holding an Everstone that parent's nature will be guaranteed to pass on. If you're breeding for multiple perfect IVs it's best to not add the nature until the end, just so you have both the Destiny Knot and a Power item for the first couple of generations.

Welp I've been doing it wrong for generations now, gently caress me.
Thanks for the clarification.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Multiple people have been getting shinies in extremely short order. Even assuming you're right about that one, style causes extremely observable changes around Lumiose and is unambiguously something that the game tracks and you can directly affect.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

noirstronaut posted:

Alright, cool cool. I'm looking at tier Pokes, and it seems the tiers are most guided by what their weaknesses are? As in, if a Pokemon has a 4x weakness to three things, it's arguably going in NU or RU.

Not quite, Stats, movepool and Ability matter a huge deal. Tyranitar has a godawful defensive typing, with weaknesses to Bug, Ground, Steel, Fighting (X4!), Water, Grass and Fairy and yet has been one of the premiere overused monsters since its debut. Mostly because it has amazing stats, an amazing ability and a great movepool.

Scizor, before it got bullet punch, had exactly one weakness, fire 4X, and a great ability/decent movepool. The problem was without priority it couldn't leverage the stats it had. Once it got bullet punch it became an absolute monster and the most used pokemon for two full generations.

There is a lot of interplay here.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

LAY-ZX posted:

Multiple people have been getting shinies in extremely short order. Even assuming you're right about that one, style causes extremely observable changes around Lumiose and is unambiguously something that the game tracks and you can directly affect.

I think he meant whether or not tipping affects your style.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Brett824 posted:

Are you killing them or catching them? As far as I can tell, you literally HAVE TO run to keep it as a chain. Check with the guy in the place where you get the super rod to see what your highest chain is.

Ran from all of em. Been at it for 4 hours (watching videos etc) and haven't missed a single bite and haven't moved a inch. Suction cups has been working and nothing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

noirstronaut posted:

It's nothing quite so obvious. Spiritomb has zero weaknesses (or did in gen 5) and sat firmly in RU I believe. Types are important, but they really don't mean a lot (beside Steel) in a vacuum, it's how it interacts with its moveset and stats, and its opponent's. Abomasnow has like 7 weaknesses and one 4x weakness, and he enjoyed his time in UU.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ran from all of em. Been at it for 4 hours (watching videos etc) and haven't missed a single bite and haven't moved a inch. Suction cups has been working and nothing.

You're using the SUPER rod, right?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

LAY-ZX posted:

I'm pretty sure this also isn't even required, one of the shinies I've encountered was from chaining the Good Rod.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

What's the fastest way to get Heart Scales again? Someone posted it earlier in the thread, but I just realized that pretty much every good Pokemon needs it to access their best moves so it's all but necessary to hoard them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

LAY-ZX posted:

Using the good rod, I've heard that it doesn't matter what rod it is. I wanted a Clauncher

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Battling or running doesn't make a difference, I fought all my encounters and got two shinies.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What's the fastest way to get Heart Scales again? Someone posted it earlier in the thread, but I just realized that pretty much every good Pokemon needs it to access their best moves so it's all but necessary to hoard them.

Use Game Sync and log onto PGL, buy them with Pokemiles.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Buy them with your pokemiles or whatever they're called. Set up Game Sync, it'll tell you where to go.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
On the other hand, if you can't get Game Sync to work (I keep getting a "server is busy" message every time I save :argh: ) then your next best bet is to go to Route 8, fish up a ton of Luvdiscs with the Old Rod and kill them with Thief. Make sure to remember to unequip each Heart Scale you successfully steal.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Countblanc posted:

It's nothing quite so obvious. Spiritomb has zero weaknesses (or did in gen 5) and sat firmly in RU I believe. Types are important, but they really don't mean a lot (beside Steel) in a vacuum, it's how it interacts with its moveset and stats, and its opponent's. Abomasnow has like 7 weaknesses and one 4x weakness, and he enjoyed his time in UU.

What puts him up there? Also, what does "how it interacts with its moveset and stats, and its opponent's" mean? Does that mean if the Pokemon has a moveset that has some killer moves, it can move up, but also if the stats are decent? The opponent's part however, does that mean it's ability (say, if it has Protean or something and can adorn the type of the move), would that make it incredibly useful? I imagine it would, but again, I'm just learning.

Also, I wanna thank everyone who's helping me out. It's actually pretty fun just learning about the intricacies in a game that is marketed as being for younger people.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

You can also just steal them off Luvdiscs with Thief if you don't feel like burning pokemiles.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Type does matter but yeah, other factors like abilties are important too. Ninetales is the perfect example. For a long time, it was NU because it was poo poo. Mediocre stats, frail defenses, and iffy typing all doomed it to suck, and its movepool was interesting but not enough to save it.

That all changed when it got an incredible ability: Drought. Now Drought wasn't only a serious boon to Ninetales itself but also so good that it made it literally the glue to most sunny day teams. If you wanted to not play in the banned Ubers tier, and wanted a sun team, you pretty much had to have a Ninetales. This made it fly up to OU and stay there for all of Gen V, though with the weather nerf and Charizard Y getting Drought too, we'll see how things play out for Ninetales Next.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Get a Pumpkaboo or Phantump with the Frisk ability and teach it Thief, and then fish for luvdiscs and thief any that trigger frisk. Having a Vivillion or Butterfree with Compound Eyes ability in your party will increase the rate of wild pokemon having hold items, but the rate of heart scales is already pretty high.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

HoneyBoy posted:

Battling or running doesn't make a difference, I fought all my encounters and got two shinies.

Use Game Sync and log onto PGL, buy them with Pokemiles.

On that note, what's the fastest way to get Pokemiles? Also, will the items just show up in my in-game inventory afterwards?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Talked to the fisherman, I'm at 273 actually.

Edit: That was not Edit.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

What puts him up there? Also, what does "how it interacts with its moveset and stats, and its opponent's" mean? Does that mean if the Pokemon has a moveset that has some killer moves, it can move up, but also if the stats are decent? The opponent's part however, does that mean it's ability (say, if it has Protean or something and can adorn the type of the move), would that make it incredibly useful? I imagine it would, but again, I'm just learning.

Also, I wanna thank everyone who's helping me out. It's actually pretty fun just learning about the intricacies in a game that is marketed as being for younger people.

It's almost too complicated to narrow down that specifically. It can be case by case almost, depending on many factors. Some common ones: A) If a different Pokemon can do its exact job better B) If it's ability is good C) if its typing is a general boon or hinderance in relation to the stats it was given D) What are the counters running around that straight up destroy it, and how common are they D) Is its movepool varied or limited? (The purpose of this is that unpredictability is often key to winning matches, and if you are using a one trick pony an experienced battler will predict and counter you more easily)

One of the reasons some people were mad about Amaura's typing is that Rock and Ice is horrible defensively. This is because Fighting moves are everywhere competitively, and not only are the attacks themselves insanely powerful but they are often given to Pokemon who hit like a truck. You can't defend as well against your major weaknesses if they're everywhere.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Fish chaining is the best thing.

Octillery is one of my favorite mons so i'm really happy about this.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

On that note, what's the fastest way to get Pokemiles? Also, will the items just show up in my in-game inventory afterwards?

Wonder trade, at least that's where I've been getting mine. It's also great for getting rid of excess mons. As for the items you need to game sync again and there will be a delivery lady next to the PC.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I have no clue if it's fast or not but I'm simply WT'ing away the boxes of genetically challenged trash that ends up piling up from breeding Pokémon. Exchanging it all for rare candies so I can boost my them if the need arises.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
So I'm thinking for my team I'm gonna go for Tyranitar, Trevenent, Aegislash, and Hydreigon as the core. I feel like there's a lot of synergy between Hydreigon and Aegislah in particular since every type that threatens one is resisted by the other.

Trevenent is just there because to balance out Tyranitar's weaknesses, as otherwise I'd have a problem with fighting and water pokemon. The rest + natural cure combo shows a lot of promise. I suppose I could drop Tyranitar but he's been kind of an anchor for my teams ever since I started playing against people. How could you not love a dinosaur that tanks hits about as well as Blissey while still being a huge threat?

The 6th pokemon is probably going to be mega Mawile. She shares a lot of the same checks and counters as Aegislash - being weak to fire and ground. This is actually a good thing because if I can lure them out with Aegislash, I can hopefully remove them before Mawile enters the fray and she'll go unchallenged. Swordsdance combined with huge power is just monstrously powerful. We're talking about something stronger than Deoxys-A even before swordsdance. If they can't deal with Mawile immediately it's probably game over.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a lead? I'm torn between something with stealth rocks and Galvantula with sticky web. Sticky web is amazing for this team because everything is just a tad slow, and I really want to experiment with the effect. The problem is that sticky web users are also all weak to fire as far as I know and that would give me 4 pokemon weak to fire with 2 resists.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Cyflan posted:

Fish chaining is the best thing.

Octillery is one of my favorite mons so i'm really happy about this.

You guys need to get on my level.

Coming soon to a battle near you.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

It's helpful to think of the concept of tiers less as an inherent quality that a pokemon has, and more as a demographic group that a pokemon belongs to based solely on how often it's actually used by the wider competitive pokemon battling scene. If a hot new strategy for a previously UU pokemon catches on and has success in the OU metagame, more people will play that strategy and it may eventually be reclassified as OU.

The reasons for why a certain 'mon may or may not be used varies as much as the players, but generally power or synergy will usually correlate with being in a higher usage tier, if for no other reason than there are many people that like to play with strategies that have proven powerful in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

noirstronaut posted:

Alright, I've spent some time on Smogon and I've learned a handful about tiers. Question mainly being: are tiers all that important? As in, if an RU tier Pokemon can somehow beat an OU one, is it really all that much of a problem or is the goal (logically) to make a team full of OU Pokes?

Next question is in regards to specific Pokemon roles in battle. I can't find anything (or maybe I'm missing it) about how this is decided. In my mind, the most logical thing is if I have a Pokemon that is fully trained with high Attack, high Attack EV, then I'll want to utilize this badboy as a "tank." However, if I get a Pokemon with high Speed (maybe) and decent Defense, but is from a lower tier, I could utilize this one as a "suicide" and use it to lower the opposing team's stats. Am I right in assuming these things?

I'm reading a bit up about abilities and movesets at the moment. Are people aware of the abilities by Googling the Pokemon and seeing which are available and then saying "That one is obviously better than the other"? As far as movesets go, I think (from what I've learned) it depends on what type of Pokemon you're crafting. If it's a Pokemon that you want to be a killer, you give it the strongest moves in its moveset.

1) Tiers aren't enforced in-game at all, except for 'soft' or gentleman's agreements type deals between friends/competitions. So it depends on your goal really- if you just want to stomp passerby kids then yeah, OU or uber legendaries or whatever would probably easiest to net wins with, if only because that's what 95% of them will be using as well. If you want to just have fun with your favourites you can make lower tiers work against higher, especially if you've put some time and thought into breeding/training/movelist/team composition/strategy, but you might have a harder time using say, Pidgeot vs. Staraptor or whatever.

2) Yeah you're pretty much on the right track, although I think some of your ~competitive pokemon terminology~ is a bit off* but that's not really important. People figure out base stats and movelists, (go back to before x/y came out and it was just leaks, pretty much the first thing people did upon seeing new pokes was request stats and try to figure out the bases), and then see what a pokemon's good at.

ie. Garchomp is fast and strong with lots of damaging attacks, so use it as a sweeper. Ludicolo is very defensive, has support/healing/in-direct damage moves so use it as a wall, especially in the rain. Flareon has pretty decent attack, but almost gently caress-all for physical attacks and poo poo defense so don't use it.

Same with abilities. You compare what an ability does or helps a Pokemon to do with what the pokemon actually can do/is good at doing. For example, Togekiss is fast, and has access to a lot of moves that cause flinches and has thunder wave- combine this with the Serene Grace ability (boosts secondary effects of attacks like flinching) and it means you can lock-down opponents almost perpetually. Some others might have two abilities that could work, depending on what you want them to do. Gyarados has both intimidate and moxie, both of which are very good abilities but are suited for slightly different roles. Intimidate can force an physical attacking opponent to either switch or be useless (especially if you bring gyarados in on something that can't hit it super-effectively), giving G-dos a turn to set up with dragon dance or something. Moxie is better used as a mid/late game sweeper. You bring it in when all the stuff that Gyarados really really hates is KO'd or on something that's weakened for an easy KO, and then snowball from there.

Most of this stuff is pretty intuitive, you can just look at a pokemon's stats, check out it's movelist and abilities and get a pretty good idea of what it's good at that'll serve you well for pick-up games. I mean if you start getting into higher competition levels you start seeing crazy EV spreads and what not designed specifically to outspeed one pokemon in particular, but only if they're running a specific EV/nature, or getting just enough attack EV's to get an 80% chance of One hit KOing this other guy or enough defense EV's to stop them from OHKOing you... but just ignore that for now.

*just from your example, a fast attacker is a 'sweeper', defensive pokemon are usually 'walls/tanks' (same thing). Again not a big deal but that's just the general nomenclature.

That said lowering your opponents stats is generally a waste outside of a few (very powerful**) cases, compared to buffing up your own guy. Which is better- using swords dance once or using screech on every one of your opponent's monsters? Since your goal is to KO them it means you have to spend however many turns lowing the next guy's stats while they're probably setting up for a sweep of their own.

**Like the afore mentioned intimidate ability, or the new sticky web move, but those are so powerful because they're very passive on the user's part. Sticky web is a one-turn investment that affects all opponent's switch ins and intimidate is a passive ability that automatically activates when you bring your monster in, don't have to spend any turns setting it up.

edit:

To add on the talk about typing and what not, consider this history lesson on the pokemon series.

Way back in Red/blue/yellow, psychic type was undoubtedly the king- it had great pokemon like Mewtwo and Alakazam, and the stuff that was supposed to counter it couldn't. Bug types were terrible and had no good attacks. The only ghost around was part-poison so it got hit hard by psychic, and oh yeah there were 1)no good ghost attacks and 2)it was bugged so psychic was immune to ghost. So if you wanted to play then you had to play or plan around the psy-gods. It also meant that fighting types weren't really all that common.

In gen 2 they added steel and dark, both of which counter psychic, they broke special into special attack and defense, they introduced better bug and ghost moves and pokes, and so on so psychic got reigned in. Also Blissey, bane of special attackers.

Through 3 and 4 more ghost/bug/steel/etc. pokemon kept getting introduced, they kept getting better moves and so on so psychic fell in popularity somewhat, allowing stuff like poison and fighting to get some traction, especially fighting since it started getting some great pokemon and moves (that threatened the popular steel and dark types).

Then in gen 5 fighting EXPLODED, lots of great new pokemon, great moves, it was a good time to be a fighter. This, in turn, brought psychic back in order to combat all these crazy punching dudes.

So it's not necessarily purely what's 'stronger' but also the strength and popularity of its strengths and weaknesses. Psychic was strong, so it got used, but as the stuff it was weak against got stronger, it got used less, but also as the stuff it was good against got better, it gets used more.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 22, 2013

• Locked thread