Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

And again the stakes get higher, using the capes that were too dangerous to let loose even in the face of extinction....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I just really hope she doesn't do what she says she's going to do at the end. That character is my favorite character and deserves far better.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

OneTwentySix posted:

I just really hope she doesn't do what she says she's going to do at the end. That character is my favorite character and deserves far better.

I'm not entirely convinced of her motives anymore. Even if her plan succeeds she might end up just as dangerous as Zion in the end. I feel like we might be heading for a Frodo at the crack of mount doom type moment.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

All of the grammar and spelling mistakes in this update are on loving purpose. Wildbow you subtle and evil bastard.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My knees are shaking, either I've got a major deficiency going on or Wildbow is a terrifyingly good writer :cry:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo, I guess Taylor and Bitch have something in common now :v:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Jesus Christ Taylor :stonk:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Man. This arc title is really, really on target.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TOOT BOOT posted:

And again the stakes get higher, using the capes that were too dangerous to let loose even in the face of extinction....

I'm not absolutely convinced she's not going there purely to call out Dragon. There'll be something about Dragon not being able to fight with maximal effect without bringing her core to which the shard is attached, cue Taylor taking over and becoming legitimately the scariest loving thing in the world. Scion can only kill you. Taylor can take over.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

All of the grammar and spelling mistakes in this update are on loving purpose. Wildbow you subtle and evil bastard.
It really popped out at me near the end.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I forget, did we ever find out what Amy realized about shards in the birdcage, that the Simurgh blocked?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

I forget, did we ever find out what Amy realized about shards in the birdcage, that the Simurgh blocked?

As far as I know, no. Not officially. Wildbow may have said something in the comments, though. He's been known to do that for minor things.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Based on the things Marquis said, and the context around them, I'm pretty sure Amy figured out that Zion was where the powers came from, they may have even figured out that it'd be Zion that would end the world. There are a couple of other things that it could have been, but this one is the only one I feel like Cauldron and the Simurgh would want to keep from getting out.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Which begs the question: why would Teacher want to keep that from getting out?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not sure powers coming from Zion was ever the biggest secret in the world. I kinda thought that might be the case when Zion was first talked about in the first couple arcs. He shows up before anyone in the world has superpowers, floating in the middle of the ocean, the terminally ill guy on the ship touches him and becomes one of the first of many capes, etc. You would think someone in-universe would have guessed at it.

I never made the connection between him and the worms before the story revealed it, though. I thought the worms were some kind of deity because people were having beautiful visions of them in near-death situations, and I had a half baked idea Scion might be Jesus based on the name and what I thought about the worms. Offbase to say the least.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I'm wondering what Countessa and the Simurgh is going to do about all this. The clairvoyant's sight can already be used to read the Simurgh if Taylor can focus enough attention to do that, I don't see what Countessa can really do either aside from offering her power. It'll even sort of solve the communication issue since Taylor can then start mimicking languages like Fortuna used to.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not sure powers coming from Zion was ever the biggest secret in the world. I kinda thought that might be the case when Zion was first talked about in the first couple arcs. He shows up before anyone in the world has superpowers, floating in the middle of the ocean, the terminally ill guy on the ship touches him and becomes one of the first of many capes, etc. You would think someone in-universe would have guessed at it.

I never made the connection between him and the worms before the story revealed it, though. I thought the worms were some kind of deity because people were having beautiful visions of them in near-death situations, and I had a half baked idea Scion might be Jesus based on the name and what I thought about the worms. Offbase to say the least.

It was offered as one of the in-universe theories pre-freakout. One of the weaknesses given for the theory was that they couldn't establish a chain of "infection" for powers from contact with Scion in a number of cases.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Jesus CHRIST, that most recent update.

Spoiler from it, there's a reference to The Sleeper when Taylor is world-hopping hunting for more power- that's one of the plot threads that they've said is being setting up for a potential sequel, right?

Regardless.. That was intense the entire way through. And the next episode looks like the showdown. Hell, I'm just glad that Dragon survived.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

http://parahumans.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/speck-30-4/

Well, holy poo poo :eek:

Let battle commence :black101:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

OmniBeer posted:

Spoiler from it, [spoiler]there's a reference to The Sleeper when Taylor is world-hopping hunting for more power- that's one of the plot threads that they've said is being setting up for a potential sequel, right?

It's interesting that all he's doing is reading a novel when we see him, given that he's supposed to be an s-class threat, I guess I expected something more...imposing?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I can't think. All I can do is sit here and shake from the tension.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Well, holy poo poo is really the only thing I can think of is that there are Not too many capes left across the world now- only about 5000 of them or so- Scion's been busy. Hopefully it's enough.

Otherwise, my reaction can only be summed up by :suspense:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's a little frustrating Taylor can't understand language right now, at the climax of the story. I want to know what the other characters are saying, damnit.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I wouldn't expect this to be the climax. Wildbow has said 6-8 chapters in this arc, and I'm betting it's more towards 8 than 6.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

berenzen posted:

Well, holy poo poo is really the only thing I can think of is that there are Not too many capes left across the world now- only about 5000 of them or so- Scion's been busy. Hopefully it's enough.

Otherwise, my reaction can only be summed up by :suspense:

Well I'm sure Glaistig Uaine has been busy collecting as well, so you can add in however many she can bring up with Taylors various support powers enhancing her

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
"I turned my attention to Scion"

And he turned to Taylor and said "Where have you been all my life you absolutely ravishing assortment of shards, you!" Not sure what the practical difference is between her and one of the entities is now because she has essentially formed a new one, minus the mountain of extradimensional flesh, but hey, there's still time.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

"I turned my attention to Scion"

And he turned to Taylor and said "Where have you been all my life you absolutely ravishing assortment of shards, you!" Not sure what the practical difference is between her and one of the entities is now because she has essentially formed a new one, minus the mountain of extradimensional flesh, but hey, there's still time.

I don't expect he's going to think or say anything at first. He might figure out what Taylor's power does, but his whole "how do I beat this power" trick isn't going to work for much of poo poo against her. So he'll try what his power says to do, have it fail because it didn't and doesn't take other powers into account, and then he'll run. And that won't work either.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's interesting that all he's doing is reading a novel when we see him, given that he's supposed to be an s-class threat, I guess I expected something more...imposing?

He's nasty enough that even Taylor at her present level of power would prefer not to try to take him. Probably a very inconvenient, semi-passive effect.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Way too many things going right in this story right now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not really though? As much as Taylor is dealing with a lot of different people, the general idea is pretty simple. She's snaring as many capes as she can afford to get her hands on and preventing the rest from harming her efforts.

And then she turns to Scion.

E: So what's the deal with Sleeper? I've seen him referenced a few times, but I don't think I've noticed them all. Anybody got the sum total of information we've received so far?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Some of the first capes she snatched were the ones that make Yangban possible. She could share all the powers of all the capes, everywhere.

I kinda hope that it isn't this simple.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tollymain posted:

E: So what's the deal with Sleeper? I've seen him referenced a few times, but I don't think I've noticed them all. Anybody got the sum total of information we've received so far?

Basically: is really loving scary, no-one wants to gently caress with him, implied to generally be asleep. When awake, the first thing he did was go through a portal and subsume an entire world. And then, what's in this chapter. Basically, super-mysterious, super-scary, no real details as yet.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Not really though? As much as Taylor is dealing with a lot of different people, the general idea is pretty simple. She's snaring as many capes as she can afford to get her hands on and preventing the rest from harming her efforts.

Sleeper is an S-class threat along with the Endbringers. Presumably he has a power that makes him not worth it in this fight due to the trouble he'd pose to take and likely inability against Scion. He will be in the sequel more than likely. We know he can subsume an entire world, which he has done to one of the alternate Earths. Presumably he slept, or was otherwise inactive, for most of the time.

Someone in the comments section has speculated he is an extremely high tier duplicator, which meets criteria for S-class, explains why he's reading aloud to himself (one clone reading to the main body), and also explains why he'd be annoying to snare and why he'd not be that useful against Scion.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
I've been rereading the series from the start to get ready from the finale, and I was surprised to see how well the current situation was foreshadowed. Bonesaw to Panacea, from Interlude 11h.

quote:

“I like the other members of the Nine. And I couldn’t make anything really amazing if I was following rules. I want to make something even more amazing than Hack Job, Murder Rat or Pagoda. Something you and I could only make together. Can you imagine it? You could use your power, and then we could make one superperson out of a hundred capes, and all of the powers would be full strength because you helped and we could use it to stop one of the Endbringers, and the whole world would be like, ‘Are we supposed to clap’? Can you picture it?” Bonesaw was getting so excited with her idea that she was almost breathless.

Something else I caught that I'd missed the first time around - Alexandria was Taylor's favorite hero as a kid. :smith:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Tollymain posted:

More than that, her shard is getting more and more dominant as it links up with more people. It's essentially still Taylor, but it's escalating even harder, operating at a high level of organization to get all the powers it can find and integrate them into the whole. She arrived, originally intending to take on Zion with a strike team of high end powers, working in concert through the Yangban capes to multiply the powers.

Now she gets distracted, her first impulse is to capture if it's useful and kill if it's harmful. It happens unless she actively overrides it, and the times where she's overriding her instincts are getting fewer and fewer.

It shows how much Dragon and Tattletale mean to her that she could find an alternative and reject the easiest way there.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Squinty posted:

I've been rereading the series from the start to get ready from the finale, and I was surprised to see how well the current situation was foreshadowed. Bonesaw to Panacea, from Interlude 11h.

Worm: Are we supposed to clap?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thespaceinvader posted:

Basically: is really loving scary, no-one wants to gently caress with him, implied to generally be asleep. When awake, the first thing he did was go through a portal and subsume an entire world. And then, what's in this chapter. Basically, super-mysterious, super-scary, no real details as yet.

Was he a Cauldron result?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

He better be really loving scary or he's going to be a bit limp compared to Zion.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

My guess is that he pulls everyone in a large area into his dreams while he sleeps, where he is basically a god. He could reprogram people's minds or simply destroy them while he is sleeping, and these effects would persist when he's awake. And he can probably fall asleep at will just to make this even dumber.

Basically totally unstoppable given a large enough area of effect, but also totally useless to Taylor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Was he a Cauldron result?

Not stated to the best of my knowledge, but knowing the story, probably.

NecroMonster: that's basically my guess - I'd assume that he has some sort of wide-scale dream-manipulation schtick.

• Locked thread