Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

You are in the US correct? This might work. I'd love all the terrain and the weeping angels.
Yeah, I'm in northwest PA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Hah. I just painted one of those bathalians the other day.

And I even have a scale picture.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What the hell is this, I don't even know, but I want it.

A gigantic turd with claws and a lamprey mouth. What more could you need?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bad Munki posted:

What the hell is this, I don't even know, but I want it.

A gigantic turd with claws and a lamprey mouth. What more could you need?

A better sketch or perhaps a greens-model so I can get a better idea what I'm looking at?

(I think it looks good too).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The game board thing calls it the "Great Mother Mashaaf" instead of "Mashaaf, Great Old One", which I personally find to be a cooler sounding title.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The sculpt is apparently pretty much done, but they didn't have a good photo of it when the goal came around. We should see it before the KS ends, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So with like 5 days to go, is Mashaaf supposed to be one of their big support draws a la Kaladrax or Cthulhu?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Nah. We'll see the big stuff the last day or so.

Based on other, similar Kickstarters (second Kickstarter for the company, involving tabletop gaming), I'd say we're probably looking at somewhere from one to one-and-a-half million the last two days. Probably closer to the former than the latter, but, y'know, I still hold out some hope. At 48 hours, you get the people who set Kickstarter to remind them coming in and pledging, and then the last day you have the people who wanted to wait until the end to see if it was worth their while. That's when they plan to bring out the big guns.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Also, lots of people just pledge the $1 or $100, mentally tagging what they want to get, and just up their pledge on the last day. Enough that the kickstarter servers actually went down last time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We're at 13,247 backers now. Bones I had over 17,000. So, if we pick up four thousand new backers between now and the end, at $200 each, that's another $800k or so.

There's 1500 $1-level backers right now (and weirdly, no open tier for $1 any more!) so even if all of those people put in another $200 each, that's still only another $300k.

That'd put us at well over $3M. But honestly I think that's really unlikely. A lot of the $1 backers have already pledged way more than $1, a lot of new backers won't go to $200, etc. On the other hand, maybe we'll break the 17k backers number from last year?

Kicktraq is projecting $2.28M to $2.60M, and trending to $2.57M. The Daily Data shows a sustained uptick in dollars per day since October 14th, perhaps representing the utility of the pledge manager, and maybe a lot of optimistic pledgers adding in both new $50 add-ons in anticipation of what they'll eventually contain. What we haven't seen yet is any kind of significant flood of new pledgers: October 15th was the best day since Day 3, with 331 new pledgers, but we've dwindled back down since then back into mere double-digits per day, and fewer than 200 new backers over this past weekend.

Reaper needs to fill those new $50 tiers. If they don't, I think a lot of the money that's been added in the last week is going to trickle back out, but if they do, they will get a lot more money from those of us who are waiting to see the full selection before possibly adding them on. Reaper also needs to add a bit more to the core set, like they've been promising in every update for the last week or more; I like the core set now, it's a decent bargain, but if they want a huge flood of last-day pledgers I think it needs to get just a bit better. I'd say another 20 or so models would really push it over the edge and attract a lot of new pledges.

I am very skeptical at this point that Bones II will raise more money than Bones I. If it doesn't, that is of course still a huge success (it's millions of dollars!) but some folks are going to regard it as a failure (they did worse than last time! Reaper has lost ground!) and that's not good for the company's marketing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Leperflesh posted:

Reaper needs to fill those new $50 tiers. If they don't, I think a lot of the money that's been added in the last week is going to trickle back out, but if they do, they will get a lot more money from those of us who are waiting to see the full selection before possibly adding them on. Reaper also needs to add a bit more to the core set, like they've been promising in every update for the last week or more; I like the core set now, it's a decent bargain, but if they want a huge flood of last-day pledgers I think it needs to get just a bit better. I'd say another 20 or so models would really push it over the edge and attract a lot of new pledges.

I understand why they did expansions instead of adding more to the Core or just had a bunch of small one shot upgrades, but I think that their way of doling it out via Expansion Expansions ends up hurting them. Like neither of them are worth it at $50, but you're not really exciting people to pledge in that $50 to see what lies ahead. They should have just revealed everything at once and set them as an extra stretch goal somewhere down the line, but at a realistic goal.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like the expansions did more harm than good. I also still get a laugh every time I read "to keep this simple, here's the terror threat index translated into buying miniatures."

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

If they don't rapidly inflate those expansions before the last day I'll probably trim my pledge quite a bit.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
I'm assuming that at least a third of the people who'll be buying any add-ons at all are waiting until the last day (or the last minute) to bump their pledge level from the placeholder minimum up to whatever they're actually pledging.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That would make sense, but I'm not sure it's a reasonable assumption given the current math.

There are 13,247 backers, and $2,079,064 in pledges. That's $156 per pledge on average already. Clearly a large proportion of pledgers have already upped to include add-ons. This is reinforced by the low numbers of new pledgers with high amounts of new dollars.

Since October 3rd (the third day of the KS), Reaper has added $807k in pledge money. During that same period, they added just 2660 new backers. That's an average of just over $300 per new backer... there's no way all or even most of that money came from new backers.

Granted I think there are certainly still a large proportion of day-1 backers who haven't upped their pledges, and will do so on the last day. So we'll certainly see an upswing. But there are probably also some day-1 backers who are going to drop out, too, when they look at Bones II and decide it's too expensive or not enough figures compared to their post-Bones I expectations.

We'll see. And lest I seem too pessimistic, I'm definitely in for the core set plus over a hundred bucks in add-ons, and I really do want to see lots more great stuff to get and for the KS to blow up to $4M+ again. I'm just unconvinced Reaper is setting themselves up in an optimal way, both for their own goals and for customer satisfaction.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I don't see the late push happening. There is no audience that hasn't heard the hype. Everyone who was either in on or missed out on Bones I is probably already in. The stretch structure already rewards increasing your pledge early. My bet is that there is no big pool of people waiting on the fence to jump in and no big pool of people waiting to up-pledge on the last day.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Paolomania posted:

I don't see the late push happening. There is no audience that hasn't heard the hype. Everyone who was either in on or missed out on Bones I is probably already in. The stretch structure already rewards increasing your pledge early. My bet is that there is no big pool of people waiting on the fence to jump in and no big pool of people waiting to up-pledge on the last day.

The late push is a given, it's how almost every KS runs. The only question is how big a push will it be? And will it happen soon enough to flesh-out the Expansions before people bail on them for being incomplete.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am one of the early-bird backers who just hasn't bothered to re-calculate his pledge, because I don't want to re-do it every time a new expansion gets expanded. I like what I'm seeing, but I have to decide how much I like what I can see close to the end, primarily to decide whether I stick with the core or go a la carte.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Zombicide Season 2 had a similar case where everyone who had gotten in on the first Kickstarter knew about it when it started. It still had a late push. If Reaper has a similar amount, it'll make about a million the last two days. Neither of those days are likely to match the first day's output, but together, they should push it up somewhere in the neighborhood of a million. And don't underestimate the number of people waiting to increase their pledges. Plenty of people decide to wait until the last minute, either because they don't want to have to keep going through the process, or because they don't think it makes any difference.

Kicktraq is fairly clever, but it doesn't plan for a late push, neither in trend nor projection. It's showing what will happen if the current trend of pledging continues. It doesn't account for the horse shoe or hockey stick tracks you tend to see in these Kickstarters.

I do think the people on the Reaper boards predicting four or five million are overly-optimistic, but I think that three million is definitely within reach.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

The late push is a given, it's how almost every KS runs. The only question is how big a push will it be? And will it happen soon enough to flesh-out the Expansions before people bail on them for being incomplete.

Reaper said they have a plan for the expansions if they somehow don't get completed. I haven't seen them say what they'll do to make them worthwhile, just that they will announce something if pledging fails to unlock everything.

Edit:

Here's a review of bones from an award winning painter and sculptor Victoria Lamb. http://victoriaminiatures.info/painting-my-first-reaper-bones-miniature/#more-272

Here's the image from that review:

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 22, 2013

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Some info on Mashaaf:

Talin posted:

One of the things that I really like about the Mashaaf sculpt: Although her belly is very grub-like, her back (? dorsal-ish side?) has a rough, rocky texture. I told Kevin to imagine she'd been sleeping/lying in wait for a few centuries, and it's a really neat effect. :)
Also, she's got a bazillion teeth, and tentacles. She could be a land-Kraken. Or a Sarlacc...

Kevin is Kevin Williams, the fellow who sculpted the Bones Cthulhu.

quote:

Adam Waters about 13 hours ago
@Reaper
Do you have any measurements for the lovely Mashaaf? I'm thinking 5" tall, but I'm liking that she's a real thick.

Reaper Miniatures about 13 hours ago
@Adam - she's a little over 4", maybe 5 by the time you factor in her claw/mandible things. Expect an update soon with shots of the prototype, it's out being cast now.

quote:

Ron Hawkins 1 day ago
BTW, the sculpt is done, but we didn't have a good photo so we went with the art instead. Kevin Williams did an amazing job translating it. And she is *huge*.

Baphomet 1 day ago
@Ron - how about having it cast in a yellowish translucent?

Ron Hawkins 1 day ago
We will absolutely put up pics of the sculpt as soon as the mold is made and I get a casting. Trust me, it's fantastic. And, it absolutely works for fantasy. The concept of Mashaaf comes from our Warlord game. But, she's been co-opted to be much more than that. :)

Baphomet 1 day ago
Pic of the sculpt! Plz?
And is that a no on translucent yellowish?

Ron Hawkins 1 day ago
Baph - that is *not* a "no".

And general information, very useful if you're in the area of Denton, Texas:

quote:

Bryan Stiltz about 2 hours ago
OH! _I Should mention that locals who will come to the Reaper shop to pick up their stuff (last time there were about 30 out of 18,000, but If you're listening) should please pledge the last possible wave - we will allow you to pick up in person at any time. Shipping wave is for us to help plan postage and freight only, locals need not worry.

Bryan Stiltz about 3 hours ago
When we first tossed around the idea of the Expac, we made a contingency plan for failure-to-realize. The only reason we're not discussing it is because we continue to be confident that failure is only a contingency, and not the main plan. IF necessary, we will make announcements WRT the Expacs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I really don't think a translucent cast would do it service. Although, has anyone tried painting the translucent stuff? Does it take paint like regular bonesium? Because I could imagine some cool effects from painting it like normal and leaving parts of the translucent material exposed. Possibly lighting from the inside as well, but I'm that guy that wants to put lights in every translucent bones mini ever.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's the same material as the other Bones, just with a slightly different formulation. Takes paint just the same.

Mind, doesn't mean they will make it translucent. Just that they haven't disregarded the possibility.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Looking at what's available, it's just hard for me to argue why I should back the kickstarter when the stuff I would like are individual miniatures in the core and the different expansions. So either I put in some $200, PLUS a huge shipping fee, PLUS import tax... or I wait a year, and spend far less on a few individual minis.

I'm still in it at $1 just in case, and I might get some few things, but I'm not seeing a huge boost. In two months I've painted some 15-20 minis from Bones 1, so it's not like I don't expect to have some unpainted ones left in a year.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 22, 2013

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

moths posted:

I feel like the expansions did more harm than good. I also still get a laugh every time I read "to keep this simple, here's the terror threat index translated into buying miniatures."

The expansions are kind of a terrible idea. It doesn't compel me to start pledging $$$ before the last day just to unlock things.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Do you know anyone else getting in on the Kickstarter? Maybe you can piggyback with theirs to save a bit of cash.

Otherwise, yes, you're probably better served by waiting for retail.

EDIT: AA, keep in mind that the point isn't just to get the highest pledge total possible. Idea is to be able to pay for new molds for the product line. The expansions were a way to include more figures without making the core set unprofitable.

I dunno if splitting up the way they have was the best way to handle it (I think they could have frontloaded them a bit more, then have smaller goals), but the basic idea behind the expansions is sound, even if it's less convenient for us.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 22, 2013

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
90% of the things that appeal to me are either add-on options or available as separate options from the core anyway. Except for the Barrow Wardens. Those look just awesome!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I think this whole Bones 2 KS would have been better served if they just skipped the cutesy "reveals" of all the goals and just laid it all out on day one. If I can see a cool mini that I want that is a $15 add-on I can pledge that amount, even if the model won't be unlocked until 2 million has been reached. That way they get my maximum pledge up front and then they only need to worry about finding new blood to drive up the total. And if 2 million isn't reached I can lower my pledge accordingly a day or two prior to the close of the KS. As it is I don't expect much from this KS. I'm currently looking at using my $1 pledge to get $53 worth of stuff. I might want Expansion 3, but without seeing the whole package I'm not going to commit the money. Or as one backer said "Don't wanna up my pledge until the expansions are fully unlocked, expansions won't unlock until lots of us up our pledges. It's a vicious cycle."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I really hope Expansion 2 fills out since it's look to be pretty rad right now.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

... yeah, so... I don't understand why people keep saying that this is not as successful as the previous one.

Bones 1 hadn't collected this much money with little over a day to go, and Bones 2 still has 4. And if the last Bones was any indication, the last day will be completely crazy.

... me, I will be lucky if I can keep my pledge (wave 1). God I wish Reaper hadn't decided on THIS month to start Bones 2 :(

Hell, I wish they hadn't started it this -year-, what with holiday shopping looming in the horizon.

(if I -can- keep my pledge... then I'll be using the pledge manager for add-ons, as otherwise I cannot afford them right now -_-)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Speaking of Expansion 2:

The tentacles would make a nice terrain piece if sunk into water effects, but I'm still not swayed yet.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Right now I'm sitting on a 100 dollar piecemeal pledge, but I only have 42 dollars worth of things I want according to the pledge manager. Ugh

I wonder how much the terrain in Exp 3 will cost when they are in full production...

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Tentacles can be easily had by getting a dollar store octopus toy and chopping it up, so it's not that impressive. The huge shadow demon looks great though, as does that shadow hound. That shadow reminds me more of a banshee though, shadows are just supposed to be amorphous, vaguely humanoid things.

Edit: I'm pledged at $200. $100 for core, $50 for expansion 2 most likely, $50 for random stuff.

\/\/ Bones Racist Spotted \/\/

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 22, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I really don't like that those Bones are coloured...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
You can always paint over them

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Many many posts ago someone asked what the Demon on the right (picture below for reference) was supposed to be. At one time he was intended to be a venerable version of Orcus based on mythology; old, decrepit and skanky. Jason Wiebe initially sculpted him with smaller vestigial wings, but ReaperRon opted to have the wings re-made to larger more bat-like wings.

If anyone is interested, the miniature was initially planned for resin and I got to paint one of those. It has the original wings. I can post it if you'd like. It's a large image (3 different angles).

***edited to remove the worst punctuation.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I would be interested in that, yeah. I've wondered what was up with that demon's wings since I first noticed they appeared to be cardboard cutouts outlined in scribbly pencil.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh, a Sophie model has been added to the Core Set. Not terrible, but I still don't want it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Just to make sure: I'm in for the $100 slot but I can de-select the lackluster core set and pick $100 worth of things I want, right?

Will I still get it in wave two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
You will, Moths. Reaper's treating it mostly as a "You will pledge at least a hundred dollars if you get this level," and "You will pledge at least one dollar for this level."

Core set's not a bad deal if you like the minis, but as someone on the Reaper boards said, "If you only like ten percent of the minis, that's $6.66 per mini you like, rather than $0.66." I like most of 'em, so I'll be getting at least one core set, but I can definitely sympathize if most of 'em aren't your cup of tea. Especially if you're an international backer.

• Locked thread