Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've been eating a lot of pizza, I don't really want another batch right now. :v: I'm thinking about just using it for some flatbread or something before it goes off.

Maybe I could break off a little piece and keep it as a starter? I tried making a sourdough starter a couple times and they never worked out, I don't know why since I just followed instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been eating a lot of pizza, I don't really want another batch right now. :v: I'm thinking about just using it for some flatbread or something before it goes off.

Maybe I could break off a little piece and keep it as a starter? I tried making a sourdough starter a couple times and they never worked out, I don't know why since I just followed instructions.

Try baking it as a round loaf? I am thinking that if it is still relatively round you can just bake it like that and use it as a dipping bread for like olive oil and garlic.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SubG posted:

I usually go with a basic pâte brisée for savory pies. About 12 oz/340 g AP flour, 8 oz butter that's malleable but still cold, and about 1 tsp salt. Cut the butter into small cubes---call it about half a cm a side. Put the flour on your work surface in a pile, then make a dent in it (like you're making a volcano). Put some of the butter into the dent, push some flour onto it, and press down to flatten the butter, and repeat the process. The gimmick here is that you're trying to build laminations with the butter, and that's why it works better to do this by hand than in a food processor (which works fine for something like a scone). When you've got all the butter in there, start drizzing some ice cold water onto the mixture, just a little at a time. As you work, fold in from the sides to the centre---again, you're trying to keep it so the butter is pounded flat, and all the flat bits are basically parallel to each other, if that makes sense. Keep adding water until it feels like a pie crust dough, figure around 4 tbsp or so, but really just do it by feel.

When it feels right, sorta shape it until a rough disc on parchment or plastic wrap. Don't actually try to roll it out, just do the kind of preliminary shaping you'd do before rolling it out. Put it in the fridge or freezer until it's chilled through again. You're basically just trying to make sure the butter isn't melting as you're working it.

When it's chilled, roll it out. You can now put it in your pie pan. If you're planning on making a top crust as well you can just roll out the rough shape. Put the dough in the freezer for an hour or two until it's cold through. You can blind bake the crust straight out of the freezer.

While this is a good technique, for meat pies I prefer the "cut lard into salted flour, add cold water, roll out" method.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

How long can you keep dough in the fridge? I've had a ball of pizza dough cold ferementing for about a week and a half, my instinct is it's fine (doesn't smell, no visible mold) but I have no idea.

You can use it as starter for another batch, or just use it as is. Just be sure to let it sit for an hour or two to get it up to room temperature before you futz around with it.

You can freeze dough for a few months, but I've read a week in the fridge is pushing things - I am not quite sure how. I have never stored dough before either way, so I can't speak for any of this firsthand.

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

This might be a long-shot, but can anyone tell me the difference between taro leaves and collard greens, texture and taste-wise? I've got a recipe that calls for boiled taro leaves, but I'm thinking to substitute them with collard greens instead. (Unless it's a lost cause becuase of the flavour discrepency).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Collards are a little tougher, but that's the only difference probably. Collards are the toughest green. They'll be fine.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I'm looking to make some beef stew tonight, but I hate carrots and peas and I swear to god, every single loving beef stew recipe has them in it. Any vegetable substitute suggestions for decent texture and flavor? I considered zucchini but I'd have to toss it in towards the end to keep it from getting mushy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chickpeas?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Ehhhh. Wouldn't they get mushy, too? I do like other root veggies like parsnips and beets but I was worried they might not get fully cooked. I guess I could roast them first?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

How long are you cooking it? I usually boil chickpeas (dried and soaked, not canned) for a good hour to prep them for use and they still have decent firmness, I go an hour and a half to get them mushy enough for hummus. When I do a beef stew I usually cook the beef a while and add the vegetables toward the end anyway. I don't know how any vegetable would be in the stew the entire cooking time and not turn to mush, assuming it's the usual slow cook many hours method.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Butternut squash, rutabega, turnips, potatoes, celeriac, mushrooms, lots of onion and/or garlic are all excellent in beef stew. Weird that you like parsnips and not carrots, because those are almost identical imo. The beef should probably cook for a while before you add the vegetables to it to get suitably tender without making the veg mushy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I'm looking to make some beef stew tonight, but I hate carrots and peas and I swear to god, every single loving beef stew recipe has them in it. Any vegetable substitute suggestions for decent texture and flavor? I considered zucchini but I'd have to toss it in towards the end to keep it from getting mushy.

Depending on what I'm using to add liquid to the stew I don't always add much veg. If I'm using something like guinness I only use onions (a lot) and some garlic. Do whatever else you want separately otherwise the stew can end up really sweet. I don't really like them but added mushrooms last time because I oversalted the stew pretty badly and they fixed it really well

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Schmeichy posted:

Butternut squash, rutabega, turnips, potatoes, celeriac, mushrooms, lots of onion and/or garlic are all excellent in beef stew. Weird that you like parsnips and not carrots, because those are almost identical imo. The beef should probably cook for a while before you add the vegetables to it to get suitably tender without making the veg mushy.

It may be mostly a texture thing, now that I think about it. I guess I've always had cooked carrots prepared so that by the end, they're pretty soft. I actually like fresh carrots in a salad or with some sort of dip. Parsnips on the other hand seem to always retain a certain amount of bite.

Perhaps the problem here is that most beef stew recipes don't address the issue of preventing the veggies from getting mushy...they just tell you to chuck it all in there and cook it forever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Perhaps the problem here is that most beef stew recipes don't address the issue of preventing the veggies from getting mushy...they just tell you to chuck it all in there and cook it forever.

That's the issue I'd bet. I usually put onions, garlic, and beef in at first because I want the onions and garlic to turn to mush in the sauce. Then I cook a long time, and add the rest of the vegetables at the end, in order of how long they take/how long I want to cook them. And more onions because onions are awesome and especially if they're cooked swimming in beef juice.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I don't know anything about German sausages, but I bought a pack of Knockwurst at the super market because it was on sale, and looked really good. So last night I steam one up in some beer, throw it on a plate with some warmed up homemade sauerkraut, and slathered it with Jewish deli mustard.

...and it tastes like a giant hot dog. A very good giant hot dog, one made from quality ingredients, but still... hot dog.

Having exhausted my one good idea, how else can I prepare Knockwurst?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Barley is good in a rich beef stew - adds texture and thickening.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I don't know anything about German sausages, but I bought a pack of Knockwurst at the super market because it was on sale, and looked really good. So last night I steam one up in some beer, throw it on a plate with some warmed up homemade sauerkraut, and slathered it with Jewish deli mustard.

...and it tastes like a giant hot dog. A very good giant hot dog, one made from quality ingredients, but still... hot dog.

Having exhausted my one good idea, how else can I prepare Knockwurst?

Grill it and serve it on a crusty roll with caramelized onions.

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Collards are a little tougher, but that's the only difference probably. Collards are the toughest green. They'll be fine.

Thanks a bunch! It actually worked out pretty well :)

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

That's the issue I'd bet. I usually put onions, garlic, and beef in at first because I want the onions and garlic to turn to mush in the sauce. Then I cook a long time, and add the rest of the vegetables at the end, in order of how long they take/how long I want to cook them. And more onions because onions are awesome and especially if they're cooked swimming in beef juice.

I have a big bunch of chard...am I a madman for considering tossing it in at the very end? :v:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

I'd say onions, some sort of beans and/or chickpeas maybe, and definitely bell peppers.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Sweet potatoes. The very best thing in beef stew. I also like green beans.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

God this is the worst question ever.

But I'm looking for something that's like a butter warmer / the mini-crock pot to keep a pan sauce warm. It's for Thanksgiving serving; and I'd like to keep the sauce warmed rather than chilling over time.

What should I be searching for? I think I just dont know the search term to punch in.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't know the term, but Lodge makes some very small cast iron pots that you could preheat in the oven and would stay warm for a good while. Otherwise you'll need something with a sterno can or the like.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Chafing dish, maybe. Or something with the word "buffet" in it -like buffet warmer or warming.

like this thing at walmart, but you could probably find it on amazon instead: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterno-Large-Buffet-Kit/15392326

edit edit: I decided I wanted one for Thanksgiving too. They are the same price at amazon except there's a $2 off coupon on the same page.

triple edit: It looks like that particular set can be split into two smaller warming dishes.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 22, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You could try preheating your gravy boat or whatever you're using and then making a sort of cozy around it with a tea towel. I've done similar things, and while it doesn't last as long as you'd like, it keeps things warmer than otherwise.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So it turns out I've never actually done anything with celeriac. Assuming that I simmer my stew for ~3 hours, how long does the celeriac need to be in there for in order to get reasonably tender, and how small should I cut it up?

Also: KIDNEYS. Sort of a last minute decision but they looked great in the store and 99 cents a pound, so... :toot:

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Walked posted:

But I'm looking for something that's like a butter warmer / the mini-crock pot to keep a pan sauce warm. It's for Thanksgiving serving; and I'd like to keep the sauce warmed rather than chilling over time.

What should I be searching for? I think I just dont know the search term to punch in.

I had to do something similar this weekend and used a Thermos.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

By the way, celeriac is awesome in Waldorf salad.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I really like pumpkin / butternut squash soups but I don't have a blender to puree the ingredients. Would it be terrible to use the canned stuff? Would mashing it manually (as per mashed potatoes) be acceptable if I don't mind it a bit chunky?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Cyril Sneer posted:

I really like pumpkin / butternut squash soups but I don't have a blender to puree the ingredients. Would it be terrible to use the canned stuff? Would mashing it manually (as per mashed potatoes) be acceptable if I don't mind it a bit chunky?

That would be fine!
Use a sieve to separate most of the liquid part, so it's easier to mash the chunks as well as you want.
You can also add as much as you want to the liquid part, so the soup is as thick or as thin as you want.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Walked posted:

I got a tiny crock pot with my big one. They called it a "Little Dipper", you can search it on amazon. Around $10 by itself. I never used mine, I assume it is just a crock pot with only a warm setting.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Cyril Sneer posted:

Get a stick blender maybe? Also known as immersion blenders. They are fairly inexpensive.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Drimble Wedge posted:

Get a stick blender maybe? Also known as boat motors. They are fairly inexpensive.

...and yeah, pretty much vital for thick soups. Also very useful for making your own tomato sauce.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Walked posted:

They make this! My mother in law has one.

http://www.amazon.com/Deni-15501-Electric-Gravy-Warming/dp/B002LARFYG

Search for "heated gravy boat" or similar.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Also: KIDNEYS. Sort of a last minute decision but they looked great in the store and 99 cents a pound, so... :toot:

I think a steak and kidney pudding is lovely but I'm British and so have terrible food-opinions. I also really like what my book calls Ourika kidneys, which basically fries them together with button mushrooms, seasoned with turmeric and cardamom.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So it turns out I've never actually done anything with celeriac. Assuming that I simmer my stew for ~3 hours, how long does the celeriac need to be in there for in order to get reasonably tender, and how small should I cut it up?

Kidneys taste like piss yo

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
We were just talking about meat pies a minute ago, and I wonder if we could go back to that for a second. Some pie crust recipes use lard, right? Can you substitute bacon grease for lard? I have about a cup and a half in a jar in the fridge, from dumping it through a coffee filter in a funnel every time I made bacon for a while. I assume it has salt in it whereas lard does not, but aside from adjusting the overall recipe to account for that, is it a problem?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Kidneys taste like piss yo

Look at dis chump who can't cook kidneys.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You can soak them in the Virgin Mary's very own breast milk and they'll still have a twinge of piss to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

ejstheman posted:

We were just talking about meat pies a minute ago, and I wonder if we could go back to that for a second. Some pie crust recipes use lard, right? Can you substitute bacon grease for lard? I have about a cup and a half in a jar in the fridge, from dumping it through a coffee filter in a funnel every time I made bacon for a while. I assume it has salt in it whereas lard does not, but aside from adjusting the overall recipe to account for that, is it a problem?

It's salt lard. Most of the salt might be bound in the solids that drop to the bottom. It'll probably be perfectly fine if you leave that stuff out, I've gotten burned on that before.