Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm fine with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

NSA is alwaying hiring if you can live with youself being scorned by redditors:

I hope it's worth the paycheck.

poo poo, sign me up.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

It's not that important to know what job does what in the military. All you need to really understand that being in the military, no matter what branch or MOS you are, is like being in a giant game that is whatever the gently caress you get when you combine Simon Says and Telephone.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Hi, I'm the idiot who posted a couple pages ago. A recruiter friend of a former drill sergeant I met overseas finally got back to me. I'd asked about trying to get a commission. Here's what he said:

He talked about reference letters from former/active military members, age cut off, and that few waivers are being accepted
"If they deem you fit to be an officer, they will send the request to USAREC, At that point, USAREC decides whether you would be fit for commission. The downside is, they may only approve you for Army Reserve. All the officers we have processed have only been approved for Reserve, not active."

So, I assume due to the drawdown that the officer gravy train has left the station?

I'll think for a while about going in as an E4, seems like I've got the time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Axolotl posted:

Honestly, the way the Navy does their thing is very nearly a complete mystery to me. All I know is that they're all corpsman first, and somehow they are chosen to receive additional training. The corpsmen that post on this forum will probably/definitely know more about it.

From what I understand Army/AF you join as a lab tech, x-ray tech, etc. Then yeah as you guys said you're a Corpsman first. You can't get a contract tech job except dental tech. About 3/4 way through Corps school they'll offer the class some schools. Usually the lovely ones no one wants. Psych tech (poor panda), AVT (aviation tech. File paperwork and do physicals all day) and maybe lab. Occasional something rare will pop up but don't count on it. From there at your first command when you're 1 year from PCS (transferring commands) you put in a c-school package for what you want. If you get it you'll probably spend the last 6 months there doing OJT. Your command might let you go early if the school is in demand. Some have college requirements like algebra, etc. you can look up all the requirements online. C-schools are harder to get the longer you're in. X-ray for example is e-4 and below only.

Any other specific questions pm me

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 4, 2013

Necrocult
Oct 18, 2010

Form Fitting
My corps school buddy got radiation tech and got his own chill little office on a carrier as an e1. He says no one bothers him and he just does his job making sure the nukes don't glow. Job shoulda been mine, if I wasn't a lame rear end reservist.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
I'm 27, have a bachelors in Japanese and have been teaching English in Japan for 5 years. I'm eyeing a state department job with the foreign service but I don't have a fat enough resume for that yet. Is it completely unrealistic of me to try to commission as an air force officer to help with the resume and get the bump for active duty service when I reapply to the state department in a few years? Looking at the air force's site, they even say that Japanese is one of the languages they deal with in intelligence, which would be fantastic for me. Also, I don't know if this helps or not, but I'm an eagle scout too. It can't hurt, right? With the whole drawdown thing and my age, the odds of me getting into OTS are slim to none, correct?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jacobobb posted:

I'm 27, have a bachelors in Japanese and have been teaching English in Japan for 5 years. I'm eyeing a state department job with the foreign service but I don't have a fat enough resume for that yet. Is it completely unrealistic of me to try to commission as an air force officer to help with the resume and get the bump for active duty service when I reapply to the state department in a few years? Looking at the air force's site, they even say that Japanese is one of the languages they deal with in intelligence, which would be fantastic for me. Also, I don't know if this helps or not, but I'm an eagle scout too. It can't hurt, right? With the whole drawdown thing and my age, the odds of me getting into OTS are slim to none, correct?

Go take the FSOT anyway.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Go take the FSOT anyway.

I have. Twice. Passed with a 22 point margin both times. I can't get past the qep review.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

Jacobobb posted:

I have. Twice. Passed with a 22 point margin both times. I can't get past the qep review.

Have you considered asking on of the FSOs in the thread for help? It might not be your actual experience that's the problem, just they way you're framing it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jacobobb posted:

Your chances of commissioning in the AF aren't going to be much different from getting the job you actually want. They won't pick you based on what you want to do, because you're not looking at a rated job (ie, flying). They split applicants into two groups, rated and non-rated. For the non-rated side, you compete for a chance to become an AF officer. Only after selection and actually after you show up at OTS will you get to ask for a specific career field (like intel). Then they figure out what they need and give you a job based on their needs first, yours second.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 8, 2013

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007

Godholio posted:

Your chances of commissioning in the AF aren't going to be much different from getting the job you actually want. They won't pick you based on what you want to do, because you're not looking at a rated job (ie, flying). They split applicants into two groups, rated and non-rated. For the non-rated side, you compete for a chance to become an AF officer. Only after selection and actually after you show up at OTS will you get to ask for a specific career field (like intel). Then they figure out what they need and give you a job based on their needs first, yours second.

I totally get that. I thought you could get your recruiter to put a clause in your contract as to what kind of job you want to do. I have no idea how the armed services actually work :-/

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jacobobb posted:

I totally get that. I thought you could get your recruiter to put a clause in your contract as to what kind of job you want to do. I have no idea how the armed services actually work :-/

Generally speaking enlisted are the ones that get to pick their jobs right off the bat unless it's for special circumstances like those already mentioned.

You don't want to enlist.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jacobobb posted:

Not to be an unrated officer. For rated (pilot, navigator, air battle manager) you apply for a specific job and you either get selected or you don't. Non-rated, you apply to be an officer then it's the needs of the AF, though you get to ask for what you want. That's part of the trade-off for the big bucks.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007

Godholio posted:

Not to be an unrated officer. For rated (pilot, navigator, air battle manager) you apply for a specific job and you either get selected or you don't. Non-rated, you apply to be an officer then it's the needs of the AF, though you get to ask for what you want. That's part of the trade-off for the big bucks.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

vishnusprings
Jun 24, 2013

Hey guys. 21 year old female, like 15 community college credits, mediocre GPA (2.7?).

I go to Navy basic training February 10th. I got an 87 on my ASVAB - my first choice was CTT, but for some reason that is totally incomprehensible to me they weren't able to give me that job. I got my second choice, MA, and my recruiter said that I would be able to change it to CTT before I shipped. Every time I asked him about it, he would tell me that we could do it next week, and then next week would roll around, and he wouldn't pick up my phone calls. Now at my DEP meetings, he seems to pretty actively avoid talking to me - keeps our interactions very brief.

I am about to just give up on switching my job because all of this back and forth is dumb - I have a lot of Navy people in my family, and about half of them tell me to try to switch, and half of them tell me to stick with MA. Do you guys think that it's worth the trouble? Should I be content that I got even my second choice? Are CTT and MA comparable in quality (or comparable at all)? I feel like at this point I would be content doing either, but I might have my head lodged pretty far up my rear end. Should I keep trying for CTT?

vishnusprings fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 21, 2013

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

vishnusprings posted:

Hey guys.

I go to Navy basic training February 10th. I got an 87 on my ASVAB - my first choice was CTT, but for some reason that is totally incomprehensible to me they weren't able to give me that job. I got my second choice, MA, and my recruiter said that I would be able to change it to CTT before I shipped. Every time I asked him about it, he would tell me that we could do it next week, and then next week would roll around, and he wouldn't pick up my phone calls. Now at my DEP meetings, he seems to pretty actively avoid talking to me - keeps our interactions very brief.

I am about to just give up on switching my job because all of this back and forth is dumb - I have a lot of Navy people in my family, and about half of them tell me to try to switch, and half of them tell me to stick with MA. Do you guys think that it's worth the trouble? Should I be content that I got even my second choice? Are CTT and MA comparable in quality (or comparable at all)? I feel like at this point I would be content doing either, but I might have my head lodged pretty far up my rear end. Should I keep trying for CTT?

If you want CTT, tell him you won't ship unless you have CTT. CTT is a good job, that will give you some certifications and experiences you could use on the outside, whether you get out in four or twenty.

Unless you really luck out, your work as an MA will be boring and lovely, and probably not what you really want to do if CTT is your first choice.

You are currently under no obligation to the Navy, or your recruiter. I know it might seem tough, but just tell him you will not ship unless you have CTT, that actual people who have been in the Navy know what game he's playing, and that you ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO SHIP UNLESS YOU HAVE THE JOB YOU WANT.

e; if you would like more information, feel free to peep in the Navy thread for career advice.

vishnusprings
Jun 24, 2013

Beria posted:

If you want CTT, tell him you won't ship unless you have CTT. CTT is a good job, that will give you some certifications and experiences you could use on the outside, whether you get out in four or twenty.

Unless you really luck out, your work as an MA will be boring and lovely, and probably not what you really want to do if CTT is your first choice.

You are currently under no obligation to the Navy, or your recruiter. I know it might seem tough, but just tell him you will not ship unless you have CTT, that actual people who have been in the Navy know what game he's playing, and that you ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO SHIP UNLESS YOU HAVE THE JOB YOU WANT.

e; if you would like more information, feel free to peep in the Navy thread for career advice.

I was considering just going to the facility where I took the ASVAB and got my job myself and switching - is there any reason that I even need the recruiter to set things up for me? I would just go to the loving place tomorrow and change my job if I could. I think I might be kind of delusional re: how much power the recruiter and officers in the recruiting office where I enlisted have over my Navy experience.

This is about what I thought, thank you for responding. I will go over to that thread and check it out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You can't just walk into MEPS. That portion does need to go through the recruiter. You absolutely can just walk into his office, though, and talk to him. If he's not there or won't talk to you, talk to his boss. It's your life you're signing away. Don't ship unless you get what you want.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
CTT is a bit stuffed up for e3 and below. CTR is a comparable job and should still be open. Check that out too. CTN if you are at all interested in computer stuff.

The quality of life between the Intel ratings and MA is huge. Really think this one through.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
CT will land you a technical job that you'll have less of a chance of hating than most other jobs. MA you will be watching people pee all day or checking IDs at a gate.

Dose of the Clap
Aug 14, 2009

Selfosophy Psycho
I posted this in the Coast Guard thread, but I'll drop it here as well for good measure.

I'm curious about the Coast Guard and I don't know anybody in it to get information from. I'm looking at it as a possibility after graduation to either make a career out of it, or gain some experience in my field to transfer to the civilian market. By graduation, I will have two degrees and numerous IT certifications. I've seen online that there are officer positions in IT, but can't find any direct information. My joining would be solely contingent upon directly going to OCS after signing up, which I've heard is possible. If, for whatever reason, I don't qualify for OCS immediately, I do not want roped into a contract. No offense meant, but I really don't have any interest in enlisting. My wife is severely anti-military, mostly due to the prospect of deployment or long periods away from the family. Apart from the time spent in boot or OCS, I figured Coast Guard would be mostly stateside, but I know nothing about it. Any info?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Dose of the Clap posted:

I posted this in the Coast Guard thread, but I'll drop it here as well for good measure.

I'm curious about the Coast Guard and I don't know anybody in it to get information from. I'm looking at it as a possibility after graduation to either make a career out of it, or gain some experience in my field to transfer to the civilian market. By graduation, I will have two degrees and numerous IT certifications. I've seen online that there are officer positions in IT, but can't find any direct information. My joining would be solely contingent upon directly going to OCS after signing up, which I've heard is possible. If, for whatever reason, I don't qualify for OCS immediately, I do not want roped into a contract. No offense meant, but I really don't have any interest in enlisting. My wife is severely anti-military, mostly due to the prospect of deployment or long periods away from the family. Apart from the time spent in boot or OCS, I figured Coast Guard would be mostly stateside, but I know nothing about it. Any info?

Do not enlist or commission. The military is not for someone in your situation.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

vishnusprings posted:

Hey guys. 21 year old female, like 15 community college credits, mediocre GPA (2.7?).

Don't ship unless you get what you want. You will hate MA. It's watch, long days, and all of the females here (I'm overseas and we have a LOT) hate it. Lots of drunks and idiot dependents who think the rules don't aply to them. CTT and MA are completely different - I have several senior CTT friends, most of them female; feel free to PM with questions. Your conditions will be FAR better. Your recruiter is screwing you. Go up the chain.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dose of the Clap posted:

Coasties are loving underway, brother. The guys on some ships are away from home just as much if not more than the navy. They deploy all over the middle east and south america and are gone for more than half a year frequently.

vishnusprings
Jun 24, 2013

poopkitty posted:

Don't ship unless you get what you want. You will hate MA. It's watch, long days, and all of the females here (I'm overseas and we have a LOT) hate it. Lots of drunks and idiot dependents who think the rules don't aply to them. CTT and MA are completely different - I have several senior CTT friends, most of them female; feel free to PM with questions. Your conditions will be FAR better. Your recruiter is screwing you. Go up the chain.

Thank you. I will definitely be shooting you some questions - I have a lot.

I called the recruiter's fuckin' boss today, and he said that the best they can do is submit a request to change my job, and that I might be able to switch at boot camp. What benefit do they get out of having less people doing high-skill jobs? Why are they doing this poo poo?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Laziness. Tell them you won't accept anything until they get it for you. You most likely won't be able to switch at boot camp. Be prepared to walk away and not join, otherwise they're going to stick you in a lovely job you won't like.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

vishnusprings posted:

Thank you. I will definitely be shooting you some questions - I have a lot.

I called the recruiter's fuckin' boss today, and he said that the best they can do is submit a request to change my job, and that I might be able to switch at boot camp. What benefit do they get out of having less people doing high-skill jobs? Why are they doing this poo poo?

No, no, no, no

gently caress, I'm sorry, vishnusprings, but he's bullshitting you too

You CANNOT switch at boot camp

Recruiters have quotas for certain jobs, zones (don't worry about that part yet)

They're trying to get you to enlist as something they have a quota for because they don't give a gently caress about you and will never see you again

I am sorry but it's true

If you live in big enough city go to a different recruiter who wont bullshit you

E, can we get DustyNuts up in here to drop some instructions

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr. Nice! posted:

Laziness. Tell them you won't accept anything until they get it for you. You most likely won't absolutely will not be able to switch at boot camp. Be prepared to walk away and not join, otherwise they're going to stick you in a lovely job you won't like.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

vishnusprings posted:

I was considering just going to the facility where I took the ASVAB and got my job myself and switching - is there any reason that I even need the recruiter to set things up for me? I would just go to the loving place tomorrow and change my job if I could. I think I might be kind of delusional re: how much power the recruiter and officers in the recruiting office where I enlisted have over my Navy experience.

This is about what I thought, thank you for responding. I will go over to that thread and check it out.

Do not be an MA. If CTT is what you want, then MA is the opposite of what you want. gently caress the police.

If, for whatever reason, CTT is completely off the table (TS clearance issues or w/e) and you're totally committed to joining the Navy, consider AT. It's not bad at all.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Just out of curiosity, how was MA your 2nd choice? It takes a very specific type of person to be Phoenix-Raven-like material, just wondering how you got the idea in your head.

vishnusprings
Jun 24, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

Just out of curiosity, how was MA your 2nd choice? It takes a very specific type of person to be Phoenix-Raven-like material, just wondering how you got the idea in your head.

Well, there was this questionnaire that the recruiter gave me - it asked what kind of things I was interested in. Law enforcement is something I am interested in doing after the Navy, and that was on there, so I checked the box. So was intelligence, which was my first choice. When I got to the job-selection office they told me for whatever reason I couldn't do cryptology, something about some office being closed and that I couldn't take the specific test for it, I don't loving know, they said Master-at-Arms was my second choice since I selected law enforcement, and that my recruiter would get the cryptology business figured out. And since I'm a loving retarded naive chode who tends to trust most people, I was like "OK!!!!!!!!!!! :) :):): ): ):)"

vishnusprings fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 22, 2013

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

vishnusprings posted:

Well, there was this questionnaire that the recruiter gave me - it asked what kind of things I was interested in. Law enforcement is something I am interested in doing after the Navy, and that was on there, so I checked the box. So was intelligence, which was my first choice. When I got to the job-selection office they told me for whatever reason I couldn't do cryptology, something about some office being closed and that I couldn't take the specific test for it, I don't loving know, they said Master-at-Arms was my second choice since I selected law enforcement, and that my recruiter would get the cryptology business figured out. And since I'm a loving retarded naive chode who tends to trust most people, I was like "OK!!!!!!!!!!! :) :):): ): ):)"

What are you actually interested in?

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

vishnusprings posted:

That questions thing also said I should be a nuke on subs, and I did not listen to it, mostly because it sounded like a lovely job, and people here confirmed it. I ended up as a flight deck electrician and very much enjoyed my job.

Your recruiter exists to recruit you, not the other way around. If you want cryptology (which I can't tell you anything about, ask someone in the Navy thread) then tell him to give you the test.

You will have to do this job for four to six years. Don't pick a job because you feel like you have to, or are being forced into it. there are enough unhappy people in the fleet, and you should avoid becoming one of them.

Go tell your recruiter people in the Navy told you to take that crypto test, and that MA is a poo poo job. Law enforcement has very little to do with being an MA. That's really more like security guard and corrections work. So not what you want.

Be a CT-something. Those are all fine jobs that you will probably enjoy some of, and more importantly gain some marketable skills.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
There really isn't a crypto test, it's just required asvab line scores. Unless they are talking DLAB but that's for linguists.

If you went in during the shutdown, the civilian in the NETWARCOM office handling CT c community pre screening was probably out, which is why they stuck you in MA

I am a current CTT (albeit a dude) if you have any questions. Also converting to CTN if you're at all interested in that.

Edit: the "Change your job in boot camp lie is the biggest oldest laffo recruiter scam ever. Even the classifiers at boot straight out tell everyone as a group they are SOL. So many tears that day.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 22, 2013

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just to further reinforce the point, you owe the recruiter nothing and are under no form of obligation or risk of penalty. Right now you do not exist to the system, the only thing tracking you is some paperwork on the recruiter's desk. If you flat out walked off and never talked to him again nobody besides that recruiter and you would ever know and most likely only one of the two of you would even remember a month from now.

This is THE last time in the process of joining that you have any sort of control. Once you're in, your rear end belongs to uncle same in the most literal way possible. Get a sunburn and you can be brought up on charges for "damaging government property". Don't take any of that "We'll fix it later" poo poo because they won't. If it's not in black and white with a signature it didn't happen and they know it.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

SumYungGui posted:

Get a sunburn and you can be brought up on charges for "damaging government property".

this is dumb you're dumb

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The charge would be Article 115, Malingering but I have never heard of it actually happening only used as a threat by chiefs.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Stultus Maximus posted:

The charge would be Article 115, Malingering but I have never heard of it actually happening only used as a threat by chiefs.

The only way it can ever happen is if you get a sunburn so bad you miss work. The same thing can happen if you get a tattoo that gets infected. Still, won't ever happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gleep gloop posted:

The only way it can ever happen is if you get a sunburn so bad you miss work. The same thing can happen if you get a tattoo that gets infected. Still, won't ever happen.

I know a guy that broke his leg and this was actually considered. They went with a line of duty determination instead (he was out of town without taking leave).

• Locked thread