Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

whaley posted:

When did the last 3D Mario come out, like three years ago?

Two years ago. Video games on consoles have budgets that spiral out of control so often nowadays, developers don't shake things up very often because they are scared to lose money. It is a problem across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

TaurusOxford posted:

As opposed to the WiiU which can't even get full ports of current-gen games? You seriously think the WiiU is going to do BETTER when it has to compete with four consoles as opposed to just two?

See I knew people were more interested in last-generation ports than new games. But no, I don't think it's going to do much better actually.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TaurusOxford posted:

As opposed to the WiiU which can't even get full ports of current-gen games? You seriously think the WiiU is going to do BETTER when it has to compete with four consoles as opposed to just two?

I think he means that the WIi U will have a lot of Wii U exclusives, while the PS4 and XBO will be competing with the 150 Million PS3s and 360s that are offering the exact same games but at a lower resolution.

It's why I'm holding off on either console until there is an actual exclusive I want. All they have is Killzone and Ryse right now

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

whaley posted:

Crosshair Aimer Version 7 Million has a higher resolution.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Pre-teen Adventurer Simulator 12: Important Plot Elements Come In Multiples Of Three just as much as other people will enjoy Crosshair Aimer Version 7 Million, and it's going to be in a higher resolution next year!

To be fair, I'll probably be playing both.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 21, 2013

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

whaley posted:

Maybe the Wii U will gain from the PS4 and XBox One launches when people realize the Wii U has good exclusive games and the PS4 and XBox One have nothing but last-gen ports and that's it but I don't think people are that observant. I don't even see the promise of any good games on those systems at this point unless I'm really missing something but everyone is still throwing a fit over them anyway because Crosshair Aimer Version 7 Million has a higher resolution.

The Last Gen Ports are new games coming out at that same time on PS3 and 4, you make it sound like the new systems are just collections of games from last year. Its cool to not care about any of them, but no one buying AC4 is buying it and thinking of it as a port of a 360 game. The Wii's big game right now is an HD version of Wind Waker.

I'm just pumped for the new Octodad.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 21, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I think he means that the WIi U will have a lot of Wii U exclusives,
Uhh... I doubt that.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Astro7x posted:

It's why I'm holding off on either console until there is an actual exclusive I want.

Me too, except several games.

I just wanted to poke at "Gun Shooter Version 7 million", the whole same-game-recycled-over-and-over meme in this thread as if Nintendo doesn't do the same thing.

The 3D marios admittedly are all super different from each other, but since Super Mario Galaxy they've relased New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros 2, New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Luigi U. I just hope people don't mistake Super Mario 3D World for another one of those, because what I've seen of it seems pretty neat and it'd be a shame if people skipped over it thinking it's the same poo poo they've already had.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Wii U will have Nintendo exclusives, however many games Platinum is contracted for as exclusives, and whatever UbiSoft is willing to send to the gallows at this point. If things don't turn around before this time next year, the third parties that already abandoned ship won't be bothering to entertain the thought of doing anything more than ports for the hardware, and I imagine even UbiSoft will be looking to cut their losses sooner rather than later. Delaying WatchDogs hurt their stock, and the new Splinter Cell was a sales disaster for the franchise that might very well have killed it. It doesn't help that Tom Clancy himself died this year (which I think also hurt their stock), and that seems like it puts the whole "Tom Clancy's" franchise in a very weird place.

Maybe they'll license Larry Bond next?

The sad thing about claiming "exclusives will save the Wii U" is that it ignores that there already are exclusive games for the system (really really good ones!), and the only people who really care are Nintendo fans. They need a price drop, they needed one well before the new consoles were less than a month out, and they needed to have more of their big franchises be solidly represented this year, and they did neither.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fivegears4reverse posted:

It doesn't help that Tom Clancy himself died this year (which I think also hurt their stock), and that seems like it puts the whole "Tom Clancy's" franchise in a very weird place.

Counterpoint: if this game is anything close to as good as it looks, I don't think the Tom Clancy franchise as a whole will die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgMl3BahWY

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quest For Glory II posted:

Uhh... I doubt that.

No, I think that's exactly what he meant.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

fivegears4reverse posted:

They need a price drop, they needed one well before the new consoles were less than a month out, and they needed to have more of their big franchises be solidly represented this year, and they did neither.

But it's had a price drop in America as well as the WWHD bundle, and the Wii U sales tripled*!

*in a 5 week reporting month, and still 3rd behind the PS3/360.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Edmund Honda posted:

But it's had a price drop in America as well as the WWHD bundle, and the Wii U sales tripled*!

*in a 5 week reporting month, and still 3rd behind the PS3/360.

*And when said price drop and bundle happened in the last 2 weeks of said 5 reporting week month.

I'm not saying it was anything amazing or the WiiU is suddenly selling great, or that the sales will keep up, but you're being disingenuous.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

univbee posted:

Counterpoint: if this game is anything close to as good as it looks, I don't think the Tom Clancy franchise as a whole will die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgMl3BahWY

This isn't me trying to smugly disprove your point or anything, but I honestly had no idea that The Division was a game in the Tom Clancy series until just now. :stare:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JordanKai posted:

This isn't me trying to smugly disprove your point or anything, but I honestly had no idea that The Division was a game in the Tom Clancy series until just now. :stare:

Yeah, first I'm hearing of it, too.

(But that game looks amazing).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

*And when said price drop and bundle happened in the last 2 weeks of said 5 reporting week month.

I'm not saying it was anything amazing or the WiiU is suddenly selling great, or that the sales will keep up, but you're being disingenuous.

Seriously... Wii U gets poo poo for announcing a price cut a month in advance because nobody is going to buy it knowing the price is going to drop. Sales increase and people try to attribute it partially to a 5 week reporting month.

October will be interesting to see if the price drop increased the new baseline total sales per month. I wouldn't be surprised if sales fall though :(

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Astro7x posted:

Seriously... Wii U gets poo poo for announcing a price cut a month in advance because nobody is going to buy it knowing the price is going to drop. Sales increase and people try to attribute it partially to a 5 week reporting month.

As wacky as it would normally be to announce something like that ahead of time I can sort of see where Nintendo is coming from. It's not like Wii U's are flying off the shelves and the system isn't getting great press. Better to just not worry about the 12 sales you won't get right away because of the price drop to avoid even more bad press about 'ripping off new Wii U customers with price drop'

Even with the price drop and pretty good bundles I'm so hesitant to pull the trigger even though my son would like it. Maybe if this holiday season goes well and it gets some momentum I'll feel better about things.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Astro7x posted:

October will be interesting to see if the price drop increased the new baseline total sales per month. I wouldn't be surprised if sales fall though :(

If Japan is any indication, expect another drop.

quote:

Media Create Co. this month reported that the Wii U sold 3,276 units between Oct. 7 and Oct. 13 to rank at No. 4 in overall sales.

It sold 4,001 units the week prior.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Astro7x posted:

No, I think that's exactly what he meant.

You're right, that's what I was saying.

whaley fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 21, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Can we post general news here?

Nintendo officially shuts down Wii console production

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/21/4861772/nintendo-wii-production-ends

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Can we post general news here?

Nintendo officially shuts down Wii console production

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/21/4861772/nintendo-wii-production-ends

That's kind of a weird article. It seems to take a "it's the end of motion game" tone and not a "there's a new fully backwards compatible system out which uses the exact same controllers" tone. Good or bad sales aside it isn't like Nintendo 'gave up' on the Wii. The new version is out and it plays all the same games. New X-Boxes stopped production in 2005 if I recall when Nivia stopped making the GPU although the backstock kept selling until 2009. PS2 lasted a lot longer but the PS2 was a behemoth of a system. We're probably going to see PS3 and 360 production continue for a while though because neither is backwards compatible.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 21, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah, that's a weird tone... but also kind of surprising considering they just released the Wii Mini not even a year ago as a cheap $99 Wii.

I wonder if this is more of a move to get the WIi off the shelves and get people to buy the Wii U? I guess for comparison it looks like the Gamecube stopped production only 3 months after the WIi came out

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/nintendo-stops-cube-production

And then of course I think they were still making PS2s into this year until they finally stopped making them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, that's a weird tone... but also kind of surprising considering they just released the Wii Mini not even a year ago as a cheap $99 Wii.

I wonder if this is more of a move to get the WIi off the shelves and get people to buy the Wii U? I guess for comparison it looks like the Gamecube stopped production only 3 months after the WIi came out

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/nintendo-stops-cube-production

And then of course I think they were still making PS2s into this year until they finally stopped making them.

The stopping of production doesn't mean the stopping of sales, and Nintendo probably has a fairly large backstock of Wii units. It does mean Nintendo is trying to push towards their next system but it isn't like you'll have a hard time buying Wiis in the next year or two.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wonder if they should have stopped Wii production much earlier, and heavily advertised the fact that the Wii U is backwards compatible. Maybe thrown in a Wii U version of Wii Sports as well.

I don't know how ethical it is, but I doubt anyone who bought a Wii in the past year would want to jump on to the new, more expensive console when they've just bought a Wii.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Picked up a Wii U today. And looks like the screen on my gamepad has bit of distortion of the film layer on top, like the film layer is not laying flat. I Have seen this on other resistive screens and I think/assume its just a thing that can happen because of how they are made/packed. Anyone else spotted this ?

Also my Wii U is the Zelda LE Premium pack and the eshop is down for maintenance, so no downloads for me including of course the game itself..perfect timing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mfny posted:

Picked up a Wii U today. And looks like the screen on my gamepad has bit of distortion of the film layer on top, like the film layer is not laying flat. I Have seen this on other resistive screens and I think/assume its just a thing that can happen because of how they are made/packed. Anyone else spotted this ?
Did you know that this is not the general Wii U discussion thread?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't blame him for making the mistake, the thread discussing the failure of the WiiU is arguably more active than the thread covering general discussion of the system.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I didn't, but I do now :doh:

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

That loving Sned posted:

I wonder if they should have stopped Wii production much earlier, and heavily advertised the fact that the Wii U is backwards compatible. Maybe thrown in a Wii U version of Wii Sports as well.

I don't know how ethical it is, but I doubt anyone who bought a Wii in the past year would want to jump on to the new, more expensive console when they've just bought a Wii.

I suspect the people who buy consoles a generation late wouldn't be buying a new Wii U any time soon. I imagine the bargain basement price tag plays a big role at that point.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Buying a generation late does have the advantage to strange money dilation. I can get, in the Kingdom of Denmark, a used Xbox360 with the biggies like Halo, Gears of War and five random titles for the same price as a GameCube.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

That loving Sned posted:

How is it unethical?

But yeah. Nintendo has already announced an HD version of Wii Sports where you can buy which game you want separately, play online and participate in geography specified sports clubs. It should have been packed in with every Wii U. Instead, Nintendo seemed to think Nintendoland would be their next Wii Sports.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

How is it unethical?

But yeah. Nintendo has already announced an HD version of Wii Sports where you can buy which game you want separately, play online and participate in geography specified sports clubs. It should have been packed in with every Wii U. Instead, Nintendo seemed to think Nintendoland would be their next Wii Sports.

"Phht... stupid Nintendo just packing in a game that 100 million people already played! They should have put in a new game that showcased the new controller just like Wii Spots did!" is what the entire internet would have bitched about.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'll bet the bean counters at Sega are busy harassing their legal team into figuring out if they can squeak out of this three-game exclusivity deal by releasing Lost World: Episode 2 and 3 in a bundle, download only, each only a third as long as the first, and twice as lovely. :shepface: I really wouldn't blame them for getting lazy and putting as little effort into these WiiU games as they can get away with. Between being roped in on this dumb console and getting screwed by Gearbox, Sega can't be doing well these days.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Why oh why did they take the deal?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Why oh why did they take the deal?

Capcom fell for the same trap except it was 5 games so its not a new thing either.

One of those 5 games was Resident Evil 4 so it was all worth it.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

"Nintendo needs to secure third party exclusives like MS and Sony do."

*Nintendo does so*

"Why are those dipshits working with Nintendo?"

I mean, yeah, this thread is about complaining about Nintendo and saying they're failures, but come on.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I mean, yeah, this thread is about complaining about Nintendo and saying they're failures, but come on.

I mean, why did they even release a game for a console with no install base? Don't they know they need games to sell consoles?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

"Nintendo needs to secure third party exclusives like MS and Sony do."

*Nintendo does so*

"Why are those dipshits working with Nintendo?"

Just because Nintendo needs it doesn't mean it was a good business decision for Sega.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Crowbear posted:

Just because Nintendo needs it doesn't mean it was a good business decision for Sega.

And, at the moment, it isn't for anybody. My point is that asking why they aren't doing something then decrying them for doing said thing is asinine.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

And, at the moment, it isn't for anybody. My point is that asking why they aren't doing something then decrying them for doing said thing is asinine.

Decrying them? "Them" is a different company in each of those sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Spiffo posted:

Decrying them? "Them" is a different company in each of those sentences.

Yeah, both of these statements are being critical of the third party developers, not Nintendo.

One and the Same posted:

I really wouldn't blame them for getting lazy and putting as little effort into these WiiU games as they can get away with. Between being roped in on this dumb console and getting screwed by Gearbox, Sega can't be doing well these days.

Barudak posted:

Capcom fell for the same trap except it was 5 games so its not a new thing either.

• Locked thread