Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yes, I was under the impression that Norse can only be Gavelkind. Also Agnatic-Cognatic obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Byzantine Emperor is reduced to being a baron of some castle in Germany, his only vassal is the captain of the Varangian Guard, who is still Norse in 1350. I'm imagining this as the setup to a buddy comedy.

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yes, I was under the impression that Norse can only be Gavelkind. Also Agnatic-Cognatic obviously.

That's the case if the religion doesn't reform, once that happens the beast is unleashed. Sadly enough, it also means that you'll lose your levy bonuses.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Just out of curiosity because I just got interested in CK2 recently, what is the deal with Muhammad and its portrait? Why adding a portrait for him would be offensive? Or did I misunderstood?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Le0 posted:

Just out of curiosity because I just got interested in CK2 recently, what is the deal with Muhammad and its portrait? Why adding a portrait for him would be offensive? Or did I misunderstood?

Islam forbids icons of religious figures, especially prophets, and Paradox didn't want to offend Muslims. Signifying him with a calligraphic symbol is acceptable.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 22, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

A_Spec posted:

That's the case if the religion doesn't reform, once that happens the beast is unleashed. Sadly enough, it also means that you'll lose your levy bonuses.

You still have 30% levy bonus after reformation, but you lose 50% retinue bonus

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Interested to see what the big reveal is going to be today. There's so much speculation that I don't even want to guess what it might be. I am pretty sure it won't be another timeline expansion though and I'm fine with that, would rather have more intricacies put into the current game times.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

So Europe is kind of messed up in my game:

Started in 1066 and it's 1156 now. They're all independent, France is hosed and the HRE is dead. Additionally, Erik the Heathen won in Sweden and his dynasty still reigns, although they're Catholic now. Also check out that AI resurgent Byzantine Empire

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 22, 2013

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

e; /\/\/\ Wait, does nobody have the HRE title? Can empires just disintegrate like that?

Is the Empire of Britannia in the patched base game? I don't have any of the expansions and I have the king titles in Ireland, Wales, and England. Do I need to have all 4 before I can form the Empire?

Also, how do I get the last few dukes in England under my domain? There's 3 independent dukes (one the king I usurped) and I can only go to war to pick off one of their counties. Is there not a CB to make them my vassal?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Clanpot Shake posted:

e; /\/\/\ Wait, does nobody have the HRE title? Can empires just disintegrate like that?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is the Empire of Britannia in the patched base game? I don't have any of the expansions and I have the king titles in Ireland, Wales, and England. Do I need to have all 4 before I can form the Empire?

Yeah it is. If you go to the title page for the Kingdom of England, click de jure in the top right, then it'll give you a link to Britannia just above the de jure checkbox. Click that and hover over create, the tooltip will tell you what you need. If memory serves it's 80% of the de jure lands and two kingdom-level titles.

quote:

Also, how do I get the last few dukes in England under my domain? There's 3 independent dukes (one the king I usurped) and I can only go to war to pick off one of their counties. Is there not a CB to make them my vassal?

If you're the same culture as them and they like you, go to the diplomacy screen and offer vassalisation and they may join you peacefully because you're their de jure liege. If they won't do that, find a claimant to their duchy, invite them to your court, then press their claim -- as the duchy is part of your de jure lands, they will automatically become a vassal of yours upon winning the war.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I'm still fairly new at this but I'm starting to get the hang of this, I think. I've got all of Ireland and bits of Wales and a county in Scotland that a vassal helpfully grabbed, but I've been dogged by rulers with fairly short reigns and few children. I've run out of de jure claims so I've been trying to fabricate, but my chancellor has been rather slow. Everyone talks about being able to maneuver relatives onto thrones via marriage, is there a good tutorial on that? I'm dealing with a rather large England that I'm not sure I could take in a fight anyway, I'll either need to break them up by stabbing my way to a weak English king, or insert myself into some ducal inheritances.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Clanpot Shake posted:

If the holder loses all of his regular holdings (as in from an invasion CB) then yes. The Aztecs do this a lot.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Doing my first game in Old Gods as the Hammer Dynasty because what's more metal than that? Ended up being a super loyal raider dude to the guy you start under, then he formed Denmark and made me his military adviser since I'm such an awesome viking raider. My guy died pretty early and his daughter took over. She continued viking raiding then the king of Denmark died with everyone hating him. Decided that it'd be a good time to form a kingdom then and did that, only to realize he had a good third of England as well. Again, end up just raiding stuff and decide to reform Norse on my third character. Not much problem since raiding is insanely overpowered (seriously I should not be able to sack Rome, most of the Levant and Constantinople in one round while also leaving Constantinople after that in a constant state of civil war). Until I realized in the midst of that, the woman who led that round of raiding was...

I guess Christians had it wrong... Jesus was a totally awesome Norse viking.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Are you playing CK2+? Because I have never seen that happening in vanilla.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Are you playing CK2+? Because I have never seen that happening in vanilla.

Jesus gives Military Advice happens to possessed characters in vanilla but I think it's only for men.

Also no I don't think it checks if they're actually Christian. It should probably give negative modifiers to non-christians as Jesus deliberately gives them bad advice so that they lose.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Except Jesus was all about tearing down religious power structures.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Dev Diary 1 for Sons of Abraham, focusing on Christians, Muslims, and Jews.

The dev diary details the College of Cardinals and other such features.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

New DLC is officially Sons of Abraham and focuses on the monotheistic faiths.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, the preview steam is up if anyone is interested.

Sons of Abraham confirmed, with College of Cardinals featured so far. I'm kind of glad that isn't a Dark Ages mod, really.

e:

Ray and Shirley posted:

This actually looks pretty lackluster. College of Cardinals and pilgrimages look interesting, but no saints, no changes to crusades, and nothing so far for Muslims. I'll hold out for the next few dev diaries.

Did I end up on the Paradox forums accidentally? Should I be constantly clamoring for new features in the middle of previews to fit in?

e2: Okay, I've got a complaint/suggestion: Iconoclast and Iconodule should be traits like with the new Muslim theological schools.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 22, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Stream is up, http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive , Sons of Abraham is focused on monotheistic religions, College of Cardinals is in, chat is hilariously racist.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Cardinals should really have a red filigree around them; no idea why Paradox is resistant to this idea.

Edit:

This actually looks pretty lackluster. College of Cardinals and pilgrimages look interesting, but no saints, no changes to crusades, and nothing so far for Muslims. I'll hold out for the next few dev diaries.

Tercio fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 22, 2013

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
This actually sounds better than a straight-up theocracy DLC and with any luck, they'll also be revisiting the decadence mechanic for Muslims.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Excellent! I wonder if we'll have playable theocracies?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

aeglus posted:

Doing my first game in Old Gods as the Hammer Dynasty because what's more metal than that? Ended up being a super loyal raider dude to the guy you start under, then he formed Denmark and made me his military adviser since I'm such an awesome viking raider. My guy died pretty early and his daughter took over. She continued viking raiding then the king of Denmark died with everyone hating him. Decided that it'd be a good time to form a kingdom then and did that, only to realize he had a good third of England as well. Again, end up just raiding stuff and decide to reform Norse on my third character. Not much problem since raiding is insanely overpowered (seriously I should not be able to sack Rome, most of the Levant and Constantinople in one round while also leaving Constantinople after that in a constant state of civil war). Until I realized in the midst of that, the woman who led that round of raiding was...

I guess Christians had it wrong... Jesus was a totally awesome Norse viking.

Well, that is what happened to Constantine...

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ThomasPaine posted:

Excellent! I wonder if we'll have playable theocracies?

This is all I need to hear for me to be willing to plop down my money. I want to play as the pope so badly :catholic:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

quiggy posted:

This is all I need to hear for me to be willing to plop down my money. I want to play as the pope so badly :catholic:

I have a funny feeling that even if they allow theocracies they'll still not let you play as the Pope. He'd need a whole expansion to himself to make it worth doing.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dev Diary: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?1624-Crusader-Kings-II-Sons-of-Abraham-Dev-Diary-1-The-College-of-Cardinals

quote:

It's finally time to announce the next expansion for Crusader Kings II! You might already know the name: "Sons of Abraham". Some of you were very close in your guesses on what it might be. No, it's not a Zombie DLC! Sons of Abraham focuses on the three Abrahamic religions, Christianity, Islam and Judaism. The idea was to go back to the roots after all the attention given to the heathens, and to flesh out the religious side of the game for the monotheists; Christians in particular.

First and foremost, we wanted to do more with the Pope; how he gets elected, what powers he has and how you can gain his favor. Thus, we added the Cardinal title and the College of Cardinals. For simplicity's sake, there are only nine cardinals, and the Pope is always elected from among their number. Cardinals, however, are not elected; they are picked by the Pope from among his courtiers and the bishops of Europe. The selection is based on many factors; age, piety, opinion, culture (the Pope really likes Italians!), etc.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Stop teasing us with Rome 2 :argh:

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I have a funny feeling that even if they allow theocracies they'll still not let you play as the Pope. He'd need a whole expansion to himself to make it worth doing.

Confirmed cant play as Pope.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SpRahl posted:

Confirmed cant play as Pope.

I'm not even sure how playing as Pope could work with the CKII system, seeing as popes are generally lowborn and have no children. You'd have to put in a flag or something that playing as the pope turns the game into EU-style where you are whoever holds the title. And that would be a mess if your normal-game character managed to become Pope (probably not impossible for a Prince-Bishop).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DStecks posted:

I'm not even sure how playing as Pope could work with the CKII system, seeing as popes are generally lowborn and have no children. You'd have to put in a flag or something that playing as the pope turns the game into EU-style where you are whoever holds the title. And that would be a mess if your normal-game character managed to become Pope (probably not impossible for a Prince-Bishop).

Well if they let you play theocracies I don't see why letting you be the Pope for a bit would be that hard. When you die you take over your character's old bishopric using whatever succession mechanics they would use for theocracies and some other guy becomes Pope.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
They made the Khazars Jews ruling over 90% tengri provinces, seems like a pretty good solution.

vvv: They said that they had ~2 more years of DLC planned out this summer, so yes.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 22, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It comes out on the 18th, aka only a week after Enemy Within :(

Also they're going to be making more DLC!

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

So I just bought this game but whenever I try to run it, it just pops up a message telling me that CK2game.exe has shut down. What's the fix for this? Official forums have so far not been helpful.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

So I just bought this game but whenever I try to run it, it just pops up a message telling me that CK2game.exe has shut down. What's the fix for this? Official forums have so far not been helpful.
How about more details? What OS? Are you running it through steam? Have you offered your daily sacrifice of goat's blood to the altar? Etc.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

How about more details? What OS? Are you running it through steam? Have you offered your daily sacrifice of goat's blood to the altar? Etc.

Running it through steam with Windows 7. Have tried reinstalling it a few times and clearing the steamcache but neither has worked.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Any details from the stream on what they're doing with Islam? Is Decadence getting a (much needed) rework?

EDIT: Also, hopefully they update the converter so Catharism or whatever can transfer to EUIV instead of just becoming Catholic.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

Any details from the stream on what they're doing with Islam? Is Decadence getting a (much needed) rework?

EDIT: Also, hopefully they update the converter so Catharism or whatever can transfer to EUIV instead of just becoming Catholic.

No changes to decadence that I can see.

Muslims will be able to choose between two opposing schools: Mutazili and Ashari. Not sure what that means, gameplay wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Excellent. I am excited to read the Paradox forum anti-semitism and internet atheism!

• Locked thread