Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nibble posted:

Really, am I missing something or are the multishot pokemon just objectively worse than regular shots and whatever the other variations are? Occasionally they feel alright when you can unload on a stationary red target zone, but I don't think that even begins to make up for the damage loss elsewhere.

You can clear things extremely quickly with them, all of my records are with rapidshotters. The key is realizing the red target opens up after you hit a certain number of white ones, usually 5 or 6 which on the attack guys is just two rounds of attacking. Never try to charge up on white targets just spam them down as quick as possible then charge up and hit the red target as quickly as possible.

You just have to play a bit differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

McDragon posted:

So if you wanted to set up a Pokemon to do really well in Secret Super Training to go after the items, what stats would be best? An attack stat and speed, or both attack stats? Something with regular shots, certainly.
I personally really like charged shots (yellow ball in the punching bag menu). They make it so that you deal 3x damage at the cost of not being able to spray shots willy-nilly. I think Haunter and Tyrantrum have these special shots, not sure who else.

e: VV Not charged shots by holding them down, the ones that auto-charge if you don't fire for a quarter of a second or so. I shouldn't have called them charged shots :I

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 22, 2013

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

RoboCicero posted:

I personally really like charged shots (yellow ball in the punching bag menu). They make it so that you deal 3x damage at the cost of not being able to spray shots willy-nilly. I think Haunter and Tyrantrum have these special shots, not sure who else.

Every shot type can charge up their shots though?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has anyone caught a Croagunk on Route 7? I've not seen one yet, I wondered if perhaps they were in a particular patch of grass/flowers?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh my god. loving Rhyhorns can't learn Avalanche as an egg move. :suicide:

What a colossal waste of time. So much for getting it on a Rhyperior.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

McDragon posted:

So if you wanted to set up a Pokemon to do really well in Secret Super Training to go after the items, what stats would be best? An attack stat and speed, or both attack stats? Something with regular shots, certainly.
Both attack stats, use the orange (or if you're good at leading, green) ball type, never charge shots. I'm not sure if attack stats do more damage than just EVs generally but defense and movement are nearly irrelevant in Super Secret Training (there's even one that automatically wipes all your points if you get hit at all, so no amount of resistance helps you).

I find charging shots to be a sucker bet, your DPS is higher when you don't do it, even with the rapid (yellow) shot type that shoots multiple charged balls. Orange/Green are best because the larger slower balls do ungodly amounts of damage and the "weak" shots are still very respectable. It's basically no harder to hit with orange than with black, and your output is better.

I cleared all of Super Secret Training with a Gengar, and it wasn't even optimized (just max EVs spread wherever the game put them). It's incredibly easy once you stop bothering to charge and shield more than you try to dodge. A very quick tap of the shield can deflect an enemy shot while barely interrupting your shooting, and volume of shots matters more than anything else. As someone above said, focus on just hitting the white targets as quickly as possible; don't worry about how much damage you do to them. When a red target shows up, that's when you pound the poo poo out of it. You can clear all lv3s in well under 10-20 seconds and the Super Secret Training well within the target time once you get it down. Learn which shots to shield, which shots to eat in the face, and which shots you have to move for. Don't move unless you have to (see my post earlier in the thread about how it's optimal in lv3 Attack/Speed to simply not move at all, for instance).

EDIT: Also if you're postgame, don't use Super Training for EVs. It's fast, but Power Item Horde training with Sweet Scent is ridiculously fast and can level multiple pokemon at the same time. It's objectively superior (unless it's raining). Only do Super Secret Training for rare evo stones and the like.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 22, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I just started doing Special Training for the first time and I'm trying to top up Volcarona's Special Attack, but I only see the option for Special Attack 1. It's my understanding that there are multiple, unlockable stages for each stat that give more and more EVs each time, right?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Welp, Japanese kids have found out how to hack the game already. Apparently someone's running around with Therian Landorus on Wifi battles, who isn't in the game until December.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm at my wit's end trying to find an Immunity Gligar on Route 19. I use up my Honeys, run away from all the Weepinbell Hordes, and use Dragalage's Toxic and Poison Point to test all the Gligar that do show up. No Immunity Gligar yet, and for some reason Route 19 suddenly has rain, which means I can't use Honey. I'm wondering at this point if using Honey to call a horde means you can't get a Hidden Ability in the horde, or if the odds are just low and I'm unlucky.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I just started doing Special Training for the first time and I'm trying to top up Volcarona's Special Attack, but I only see the option for Special Attack 1. It's my understanding that there are multiple, unlockable stages for each stat that give more and more EVs each time, right?
I think you have to clear all the stages of each level before the next opens. Get a pokemon whose EVs don't matter to you and are hopefully close to max (e.g. something you used early in the game) and have them clear the whole thing.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You have to do all of the special trainings at each level to unlock the next stage I think. So just beat all 6 with some garbage pokemon until you unlock all 3 levels.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You have to beat every Special Training stage of a given level before the stages for the next level will unlock.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Millions posted:

Welp, Japanese kids have found out how to hack the game already. Apparently someone's running around with Therian Landorus on Wifi battles, who isn't in the game until December.
Are you sure it's actually a wifi thing and not just a rumor? The various uncatchables do show up in-game in NPC hands, so screenshots exist of them, but they're not really captured by a player.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

you have to clear all six stages to unlock the next tier of training, once you clear each stage once they stay unlocked forever for all pokemon. However a pokemon needs maxed EVs to access the Super/Secret Special Training, which is more there for earning punching bags and evolution stones

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've been breeding Aerodactyls for about 90 minutes and I haven't seen a single Adamant one. The Monster Hunter Desire Sensor has followed me like it was a Grudge. Starting to think I should just monitor GTS for one, because they are not comin' naturally.

On the up side, I've single-handedly saved Aerodactyl from becoming re-extinct!

E: Hey, are there more contact lenses you can collect or is it just the ones you get when you're given the case?

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 22, 2013

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Nakar posted:

Are you sure it's actually a wifi thing and not just a rumor? The various uncatchables do show up in-game in NPC hands, so screenshots exist of them, but they're not really captured by a player.

Someone on Smogon reported seeing two separate Japanese trainers with Therian Landorus. No screenshots yet, but I'll post them here if they do.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay, thanks for the Super Training tips everybody. I've managed to beat everything at least once, now it's just a case of making it as easy and quick as possible. Only tried orange and grey shots so far, think I prefer the grey ones so far but will try green as well. Any rhyme or reason to who gets what type, or is it just pull everything out of boxes one at a time until you get the right one?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Im actually enjoying this website feature. time to see how many metals you need to get Master Balls.

In other news, Anyone want to check my Friend Safari for me?

Name: Jez FC: 1762 - 2822 -9218

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

I still can't get my global link account set up. Is anyone else actually able to log in?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
http://polsy.org.uk/play/nico/?vidid=sm22066641

A very well produced video that apparently has a very consistent way of finding shinies through pokeradar chaining, for people who said it was more difficult to get shinies with that method compared to gen 4. It's got a lot of text and speaking and it's all in japanese so I can't understand a word of it, but it looks promising.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

JoltSpree posted:

I still can't get my global link account set up. Is anyone else actually able to log in?

Are you actually clicking the "log in" button? If I type in my poo poo and hit enter it just refreshes the page or something, but if I actually click the button it works :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Has anybody figured out what animal the Chespin line is supposed to be? Did they finally start wholesale inventing starter pokemon again?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
It's a chestnut hedgehog.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

deadly_pudding posted:

Has anybody figured out what animal the Chespin line is supposed to be? Did they finally start wholesale inventing starter pokemon again?

Hedgehogs.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Millions posted:

Someone on Smogon reported seeing two separate Japanese trainers with Therian Landorus. No screenshots yet, but I'll post them here if they do.

Why can't they use their hacking abilities for good, rather than evil? Will they never learn to rip the game apart before hacking in pokemon?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Constable Lemon posted:

I'm at my wit's end trying to find an Immunity Gligar on Route 19. I use up my Honeys, run away from all the Weepinbell Hordes, and use Dragalage's Toxic and Poison Point to test all the Gligar that do show up. No Immunity Gligar yet, and for some reason Route 19 suddenly has rain, which means I can't use Honey. I'm wondering at this point if using Honey to call a horde means you can't get a Hidden Ability in the horde, or if the odds are just low and I'm unlucky.

You were probably just unlucky. Sometimes hordes don't contain a pokemon with a hidden ability (meaning you wasted all your time for nothing) :negative:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Is there a foolproof way to grind out Battle Maison if your team sucks? My mono fire team was a blast to play through the main game, but it's going to get eaten alive by a Battle Maison team. Ironically I need the power items only availalble FROM BP in order to breed up proper IVed pokemon to take on the Maison properly.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Pyroi posted:

Why can't they use their hacking abilities for good, rather than evil? Will they never learn to rip the game apart before hacking in pokemon?
The "evil" just needs a working fake GTS. The "good" requires breaking AES-256 or reverse-engineering the 3DS itself to find out the private key used to encrypt the Pokémon X/Y ROM.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Pyroi posted:

I still want to know what those drat power plants are for. :argh:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TheEggsBenedict posted:

I still want to know what those drat power plants are for. :argh:

:staredog:
I forgot about those. What the hell, Gamefreak? Speaking of weird facilities, the Pokeball Factory was super uninteresting. How hard would it have been to make that place super cool on the inside, considering the incredible magic/technology it cranks out?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

I forgot about those. What the hell, Gamefreak? Speaking of weird facilities, the Pokeball Factory was super uninteresting. How hard would it have been to make that place super cool on the inside, considering the incredible magic/technology it cranks out?

I get the feeling it would look more like a Foxconn factory in real life.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Because in-universe, pokeballs are kind of mundane.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

astr0man posted:

Are you actually clicking the "log in" button? If I type in my poo poo and hit enter it just refreshes the page or something, but if I actually click the button it works :v:

There is no log in button, just this.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Livingtrope posted:

Because in-universe, pokeballs are kind of mundane.

Right, but they are also still kind of ridiculous and incredible.

"Here's this size-changing, teleporting, matter/energy manipulating thingamajigger that can command a god. It costs less than a bottle of soda."

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Cuckoo posted:

Is there a foolproof way to grind out Battle Maison if your team sucks? My mono fire team was a blast to play through the main game, but it's going to get eaten alive by a Battle Maison team. Ironically I need the power items only availalble FROM BP in order to breed up proper IVed pokemon to take on the Maison properly.
Just keep going through the lower ranks until you lose. It'll be slow but the first 10-15 battles are reasonably fair most of the time. You'll get outsped by things that shouldn't outspeed you but you'll still win.

If you intend to go past 20 or otherwise get long high-BP-yield streaks, you will need a better team that's well-designed to address as many threats as possible and avoid as much RNG bullshit as possible. Mono-typing is probably a Bad Idea, although if it somehow fools the AI to only run easily-exploitable Water and Rock-types maybe it would actually be a good plan.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Pyroi posted:

As long the resulting hacked mon is completely feasible/legal, I wouldn't call it evil.
That means waiting until December, although is way too much waiting.

Also, what is said above about encripted game content, I would be both surprised and not that GTS data were not encripted.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I've been running pretty good with the GTS (Picked up 10 legendaries from it, pretty much all from from Scizors), and I have 2 nice Yveltals, just trying to figure out which to train up.
1. Mild, 31HP, 31Def, 31S.Atk, 31Speed, 0 Sp.Def
2. Modest, 31Hp, 31Atk, 31Def, 31S.Atk, 18Speed (I think)
Kinda leaning towards the Mild one, as max speed tends to be important, but the 0SpDef is worrisome. Thoughts?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

qnqnx posted:

Also, what is said above about encripted game content, I would be both surprised and not that GTS data were not encripted.
According to the Smogon thread, it is encrypted, which is why Pokécheck is having trouble adding support for XY.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My fourth Ditto from the Safari has 4 perfect IVs. As long as the momma mon is also from the Safari I am just a couple cycles from perfect mons.... If this isn't incentive to get into competitive battling I don't know what else is.

I'm on my way towards making perfect iv drizzle politoeds (given I can figure out a way the way to evolve them). Do people have suggestions on other mons to add to a rain team? I think I'm going to start by trying to force a dry skin heliolisk with thunder and a pidgeot with hurricane on the team, but from there I'm not sure the 'strong' routes to go. Not sure if Croagunk is going to be more or less useful with the introduction of Fairy. Rain Dish Blastoises are feasible to get now (though won't be useful if megad) and I never had much success with my Goodra in-game and Hydration appears to be a fairly weak ability, but I have absolutely zero idea how competitive mons is played. Any suggestions? If I could center the line-up around a Vaporeon that would be amazing (considering that was my first lvl 100 mon back when I couldn't type with more than two fingers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
I caught a shiny Horsea within thirty minutes of chain fishing on the bus to college today. Too bad I was looking for a Clauncher.

• Locked thread