Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Props Department
Jul 10, 2007

creamed corn & confucius
So you tried to say "context matters" but ended up saying "forbidden words shouldn't exist?" I guess I did miss your point then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Oh for gently caress sake, I wasn't trying to say anything profound. I was referring to prominent people saying that some words shouldn't be used because they are so offensive. The point is that the word isn't offensive, it's the context, yet we still have seemingly intelligent people actually proposing that there isn't any context for them.

"Redskins" is offensive if it's used in the context of a loving professional football team. On the other hand, if Mel Brooks uses it (and friend of the family for that matter) in Blazing Saddles, it's making a point, not degrading the subject of the slur.

I'm still trying to parse exactly what you're saying, because you cant honestly be saying that "if 'friend of the family' didn't offend people it wouldn't be a bad word."

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Guys.

Sticks and stones.

Y'know what I mean?

Easy with the homophobia drat. We don't so that here.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chichevache posted:

I'm still trying to parse exactly what you're saying, because you cant honestly be saying that "if 'friend of the family' didn't offend people it wouldn't be a bad word."

It's not necessarily a dumb argument in hindsight maybe, just a weird combination of A. irrelevant B. obvious C. meaningless.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
E: nothing to see here :v:

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 22, 2013

Props Department
Jul 10, 2007

creamed corn & confucius

Chris Gaines posted:

thanks for the insight

sorry i have a kneejerk reaction against the "no one should be offended by anything they're just words" brigade (which I guess wasn't what mr. funny pants was trying to say)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's not necessarily a dumb argument in hindsight maybe, just a weird combination of A. irrelevant B. obvious C. meaningless.

Irrelevant+obvious+meaningless=dumb argument :colbert:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
TFF, we've traced the bad posts...The bad football writing is coming from inside the thread!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

TFF, we've traced the bad posts...The bad football writing is coming from inside the thread!

YOu know, if everyone liked and appreciated those posts then they would be good posts. Makes you think, doesn't it?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Chichevache posted:

YOu know, if everyone liked and appreciated those posts then they would be good posts. Makes you think, doesn't it?

I'm sure it keeps you up at night

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

sweet thursday posted:

I'm sure it keeps you up at night

Don't accuse my posts of having thought behind them.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Not even close. And I'm not sure how I can better explain, honestly, but I'll try one more time and then wave the white flag and let the thread get back to more interesting stuff. Call a black person a friend of the family? Then you are a horrid piece of poo poo. Use it as a tool to ridicule the horrid pieces of poo poo or make broader points about racism? That's fine. When Cleavon Little popped up from behind that rock in Blazing Saddles and said, "Where the white women at," he wasn't celebrating a godawful racist stereotype, he was ridiculing the idiots that believe such poo poo.

When Dan Snyder insists on using an obviously grotesque slur for commercial reasons or some horseshit notion of "tradition", he's a horrid piece of poo poo. When The Onion then uses an equally awful slur that should hit home to Snyder, they are making a point and making it well.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Chichevache posted:

Irrelevant+obvious+meaningless=dumb argument :colbert:

And on those notes I'll gladly tap out.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Not even close. And I'm not sure how I can better explain, honestly, but I'll try one more time and then wave the white flag and let the thread get back to more interesting stuff. Call a black person a friend of the family? Then you are a horrid piece of poo poo. Use it as a tool to ridicule the horrid pieces of poo poo or make broader points about racism? That's fine. When Cleavon Little popped up from behind that rock in Blazing Saddles and said, "Where the white women at," he wasn't celebrating a godawful racist stereotype, he was ridiculing the idiots that believe such poo poo.

When Dan Snyder insists on using an obviously grotesque slur for commercial reasons or some horseshit notion of "tradition", he's a horrid piece of poo poo. When The Onion then uses an equally awful slur that should hit home to Snyder, they are making a point and making it well.

Alright, that does make sense. But I'm not sure why you even felt the need to argue it. I'm sure all of us here in TFF recognized that the Onion was using a slur for the purpose of satire.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

And on those notes I'll gladly tap out.

Literally everyone in the thread got the point of the article.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Badfinger posted:

Literally everyone in the thread got the point of the article.

Which I figured. The point that I very very poorly tried to make is that there are prominent people who wouldn't. Again, something that we all probably knew, so my apologies for the dispatch from Obviousland.

Seriously, let's move on, I was stupid.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

whoops

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The Onion loving owns

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
http://www.examiner.com/article/tim-tebow-returning-st-louis-stirs-up-tebow-rumors-with-sam-bradford-injury

Mike Silver being terrible. *Claims the Rams have discussed Tim Tebow* *Creates media firestorm, quickly hops on twitter to clarify that it's 'unlikely'*

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I saw this on ESPN and then blacked out so consider this a trigger warning for everyone

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

If Manning was so good at football, he'd play defense too. Think about it. He literally takes basically half of every game off.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

sweet thursday posted:

If Manning was so good at football, he'd play defense too. Think about it. He literally takes basically half of every game off.

If Ray Lewis was such a leader, why did he never lead block?!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DangerKat posted:

I saw this on ESPN and then blacked out so consider this a trigger warning for everyone

I saw that too and my immediate thought was "that is the worst drawing of Manning I have ever seen."

Seriously, how can a professional artist gently caress up a portrait of the single most recognizable football player in the world. The lovely one I drew on a marker board last month was better.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

DangerKat posted:

I wonder how one gets a job illustrating for bad ESPN articles

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Febreeze posted:

I wonder how one gets a job illustrating for bad ESPN articles

For that particular job you'd have to at least scan TMQ. It isn't worth it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I actually liked the old cartoons they used.

midwat
May 6, 2007

DangerKat posted:

What if Peyton Manning were a Dracula?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
He could only play inside a dome, so really no difference.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This is a pretty insightful piece by Matt Bowen on doing the in-season workout circuit after you've been cut, for Bleacher Report anyways.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1819669-an-insiders-guide-to-the-nfl-workout-circuit

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9849822/nfl-trade-proposal-arizona-cardinals-wide-receiver-larry-fitzgerald-green-bay-packers

Article suggesting the Packers give up Jordy, Jonathan Franklin, and 2014 2nd round pick for Fitz.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I get that piling on Greg Schiano is fun, and I get that it would be nearly impossible to get an active NFL player on-record to criticize a coach, but this poo poo just drives me crazy: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000268827/article/greg-schianos-regime-like-being-in-cuba-exbuc-says

Greg Schiano's regime 'like being in Cuba,' ex-Buc says
By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer

quote:

One Tampa Bay Buccaneers player told NFL Media columnist Michael Silver earlier this month that coach Greg Schiano "absolutely" risked losing the locker room if the team didn't start winning.

How bad is it in Tampa? "Like being in Cuba," says one ex-Buc. Michael Silver explains why Greg Schiano doesn't fit in the NFL.

Coming out of the Week 5 bye, the Buccaneers lost back-to-back games while allowing career-high passer ratings to Nick Foles of the Philadelphia Eagles and Matt Ryan of the Atlanta Falcons.

Between the incessant losing, the MRSA outbreak and subsequent fallout, the ham-fisted scapegoating of quarterback Josh Freeman and the ongoing attempts to torpedo victory formations, no NFL coach's seat is hotter than Schiano's.

After cultivating a persona as an autocratic bully in his first year with the Buccaneers, Schiano's reputation has taken an even bigger hit through seven weeks of the 2013 season.

"How bad is it there? It's worse than you can imagine," one NFL player who spent 2012 with the Bucs recently told Silver. "It's like being in Cuba."
That's the same source, which is not a problem, but the anonymous attacking poo poo just would not fly in other areas of reporting.

What makes it worse is that Wesseling has two sources on the record but he leads with the anonymous poo poo. Immediately following in that story:

quote:

Current Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett even was willing to go on record with his disdain for his former coach.

"I think he just wants to flex his power," Bennett told Silver. "He has small (man's) syndrome. I still talk to guys who are there, and trust me, there's not much respect for him in that locker room."

The disconnect between Schiano and the locker room perhaps is best illustrated by his ridiculous stance on the victory formation, which he claims his players support fully.

Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely exposed that notion as fraudulent when he tweeted earlier in the month that the Buccaneers defensive line was apologizing on the field for the controversial maneuver.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Speaking of which, I find it amusing that no sports journalist, given their propensity for blatant trolling for clicks, has written a "In defense of Schiano" article.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of which, I find it amusing that no sports journalist, given their propensity for blatant trolling for clicks, has written a "In defense of Schiano" article.

I think he's crossed over into being such a horrible failure on all fronts all at once that it would make them look too dumb even for sports "journalism." Which is pretty amazing.

I wonder if we'll ever see a day when a Belichick disciple gets the bright idea to copy what makes Belichick good at his job, instead of copying how he's kind of an rear end in a top hat. It has the novelty of never having been tried.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

superaielman posted:

http://www.examiner.com/article/tim-tebow-returning-st-louis-stirs-up-tebow-rumors-with-sam-bradford-injury

Mike Silver being terrible. *Claims the Rams have discussed Tim Tebow* *Creates media firestorm, quickly hops on twitter to clarify that it's 'unlikely'*
Haha. This is only as bad as that in aggregate, and hopefully nobody here has my disorder and can keep themselves from actually reading any of the articles (or oh god the comments) but:
http://bleacherreport.com/tim-tebow

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

None of the five trades they suggested make any sense (and I'm pretty sure the writer is unfamiliar with half the players involved). Check. Article titles all end with a question mark. Check. CYA phrasing of "unlikely but explosive" in the sub-headline. Check. I expect that they'll all be "debated" tonight on First Take etc to drum up interest and barroom arguments in these made up non stories.

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

The age demanded an image / Of its accelerated grimace

Rap posted:

the anonymous attacking poo poo just would not fly in other areas of reporting.

Never seen a "former administration official" say some poo poo?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Yeah daily politics news is the only other place when leaning so heavily on anonymity would fly. The question is whether elected officials and NFL head coaches should be on the same level where they're vulnerable to that.

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

The age demanded an image / Of its accelerated grimace
I've always been amazed at how similar sports reporting and political reporting are. We could have this same thread about sites like Politico and it wouldn't be much different.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Sherman Sez Players Know Risk

Frank Scwhab of Yahoo! Sports wants to disagree but it's just to argue Sherman's points!

Frank Scwhab posted:

Sherman starts the column by saying that he suffered a concussion in his first start, could barely see afterward and played two quarters "half blind," but got an interception later and stayed in the starting lineup.

Not telling anyone he had a concussion and playing through it paid off. It's hard to tell Sherman, now one of the game's top cornerback, that he did the wrong thing.

That's part of what makes the issue complicated. The NFL deserves blame for misleading players on the long-term effects of concussions for many years. That probably won't happen anymore. But what's left is players with the most information possible, but they still understand the consequences of being honest if they are hurt.

Sherman writes that he thinks the public stance the NFL has taken on player safety, and the number of rules against hitting defenseless receivers, actually makes football more dangerous.

"It’s not hurting anybody but the players by making the game more dangerous. Defensive players are used to playing fast, but now they’re being forced to play with indecision, and indecision gets you hurt in this game," he wrote.

Sherman makes points that are hard to argue against. And certainly many other players feel that way. Is it the NFL's job to protect these players from themselves? Or is Sherman right, that once players understand the risk it's then up to them if they want to play?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don't get why the NBA can have flagrant fouls that protect players from overly aggressive play, but if the NFL goes "hey maybe don't headshot people with your helmet like a human missile" people get all upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Because that's "what's best about the game!"

• Locked thread