Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silentpenguins
May 9, 2013

Abysswalking
I may have missed the gently caress You Say in this one. When was it, assuming there was one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
After countless run-ins with the omniscient law enforcement of GTAV, I really appreciate how easy it is to wipe your wanted level in SRIV.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

silentpenguins posted:

I may have missed the gently caress You Say in this one. When was it, assuming there was one?

I can't remember there being one. The only opportunity for a 'gently caress you say' I can recall was interrupted by beating the poo poo out of the person that prompted it.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Action Tortoise posted:

There's a very tenuous link between the new GTA's and the old GTA's via V and San Andreas. V's set only in Los Santos and Blaine County and most of the world feels different from SA's Los Santos. Most of the gangs from SA still remain, the Ballas - Vagos, and Aztecas are all mentioned or shown in missions. One of your characters is affiliated (he never admits to being an actual member) with a group called CGF, who coincidentally share the gang colors of CJ's group in SA.

During a mission a little ways in, you visit Grove Street. It still looks like the cul-de-sac from San Andreas and you go to CJ's old house. The whole area happens to be part of Balla territory now. Later in the mission, your character and his friend talk about how Grove Street used to be part of the families but now they're gone. They never explicitly mention CJ, but the dialogue makes it seem like V is definitely set after San Andreas' events.

In San Andreas, CJ met Phil, Tommy Vercetti's old associate, and hooked up with a woman named Catalina who clung to him for a few missions before ditching him for GTA 3's main character. It's interesting how both games set in San Andreas manage to connect all the loose continuity together.

It's been directly confirmed by Rockstar that all games prior to GTA IV are set in a different universe than GTA IV and V, but there are still a lot of direct callbacks between the universes. These are more easter eggs though than a sign of any continuity.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Crappy Jack posted:

Most likely compatibility for the upcoming DLC. SR3 did it the same way, automatically patched in the DLC compatibility.

Even setting up for a DLC, that's a big goddamn patch.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

After countless run-ins with the omniscient law enforcement of GTAV, I really appreciate how easy it is to wipe your wanted level in SRIV.

I really don't know why people have problems with GTAV unless they're trying to outrun the cops directly. A mixture of evasion, driving really fast, turning a shitton and finally hiding always worked out really well for me and gave that real 'Drive' vibe to proceedings, especially trying to lose the helicopter. A vast step up from the kamikaze ADHD sufferers in IV.

As for the 'ease' of wiping, that really only happens when you've upgraded enough to catch the golden snitch (gently caress it, call it what it is), but you're still straight line quick enough to outdistance the cops/Zin.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Stroth posted:

Even setting up for a DLC, that's a big goddamn patch.

That patch is the DLC. A lot of people get extra mad about locked-on-disc (or I guess here locked-in-patch) content, but having a single base for code and assets makes co-op compatibility and QA (and controlling distribution server load) so much simpler you have no idea.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Hav posted:

I really don't know why people have problems with GTAV unless they're trying to outrun the cops directly. A mixture of evasion, driving really fast, turning a shitton and finally hiding always worked out really well for me and gave that real 'Drive' vibe to proceedings, especially trying to lose the helicopter. A vast step up from the kamikaze ADHD sufferers in IV.

As for the 'ease' of wiping, that really only happens when you've upgraded enough to catch the golden snitch (gently caress it, call it what it is), but you're still straight line quick enough to outdistance the cops/Zin.

I assume most complaints are related to how cops will come screaming down mountain paths in groups of 4 if you shoot someone alone out in the wilderness, the cops in town seem to be reasonably well balanced to their environment.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Oh man SR4 DLC drops right as I'm pretty much done with GTA V, fantastic. As much as I loved Los Santos, (I think the best game world ever), I really found myself missing/appreciating the SR4 gameplay. poo poo was just so fun and fluid, I think it might be time for a 2nd playthrough on my other bosses.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Really hoping the DLC missions are repeatable ala SR3; kinda sucks having no real content left to do in the endgame.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SheepNameKiller posted:

I assume most complaints are related to how cops will come screaming down mountain paths in groups of 4 if you shoot someone alone out in the wilderness, the cops in town seem to be reasonably well balanced to their environment.

It's even _easier_ to evade on the mountain paths. Hell, I sat and watched three of them keystoning around until they gave up.

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

I think half of that 600mb update were the previs files for Enter the Dominatrix (you can see it in the videos folder).
Looks like they somehow goofed on this update and included it again.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Deep Silver really needs to a hire a good Perforce admin.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Finished ETD. Meh. Not that much to it. 5 so-so missions. Some funny dialogue. And those pre-vis scenes are used as the actual cutscenes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

AllisonByProxy posted:

And those pre-vis scenes are used as the actual cutscenes.

That's disappointing but understandable since ETD is made up of unfinished content.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mokinokaro posted:

That's disappointing but understandable since ETD is made up of unfinished content.

Yeah, I can laugh at the joke, although I'm a little bummed that I can't watch my Bailey Boss get really mad at stuff in cutscenes.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

How long did the DLC take?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I can laugh at the joke, although I'm a little bummed that I can't watch my Bailey Boss get really mad at stuff in cutscenes.

I really hope the next one has full cutscenes.

It took me about 1.5 hours.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Was Enter the Dominatrix supposed to release for US on the 22nd? I'm fine with having to wait another several hours, but it's weird that it didn't trigger for me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Was Enter the Dominatrix supposed to release for US on the 22nd? I'm fine with having to wait another several hours, but it's weird that it didn't trigger for me.

Consoles get it today. PC tomorrow.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crabtree posted:

More specifically.

Enter The Dominatrix on Steam will release worldwide on Wednesday, October 23 at 2 AM Pacific Time, 9 AM GMT, 10 AM BST, 11 AM CET. To play, just select the new mission that will be in your Quests menu.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

New dlc was pretty good. Short, but I'm alright with that considering, if I remember correctly, the season pass basically made it $5. The missions mostly felt kind of samey, but I loved how expressive the characters were in the pre-mission cutscenes.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I say it's on par with the SR3's clones and space DLC, but with the addition of most of the main voices.

It's okay. It was over pretty quickly. I wanted more. There's not much more I could say without going into spoilers.

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,
That was alright. Game is still buggy as gently caress. I ran into the alien RPG bug and could not get the final scene to load until I had un-equipped it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I keep getting an error whenever it's loading the title screen where the game closes and it says Steam Failed to Start Game, App Already Running.

I've already deleted my appcache and restarted my computer and it's still doing that.

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!
Let's get this shit started!

Viridiant posted:

I keep getting an error whenever it's loading the title screen where the game closes and it says Steam Failed to Start Game, App Already Running.

I've already deleted my appcache and restarted my computer and it's still doing that.

That's a general error that can mean any number of things. I've compiled all the known solutions here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/206420/discussions/0/846965705311116184/

Make sure to try the steps in both the general troubleshooting section, as well as the section for that specific error. If you still need help, a few of us hang out in the Steam SRIV community hub group chat and can try to give you a hand. Click the "All" tab and then you should see something like "X in group chat" at the top right. That link should connect you to chat.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Holy loving poo poo that last bit before the ending cutscene in ETD :laffo:

I wanted to hear more of the song but didn't know how to slow down the raptor. :saddowns:

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

As someone who's never bought a season pass for anything before, is season pass content supposed to show up in DLC properties in Steam? Because mine hasn't and there is no sign of any new quests in my game now that ETD is out. Is it delayed for some people or something?

I've verified my cache, and I've restarted Steam. Don't know what else to do :(

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Holy loving poo poo that last bit before the ending cutscene in ETD :laffo:

I wanted to hear more of the song but didn't know how to slow down the raptor. :saddowns:

I kinda didn't like the DLC- the missions weren't particularly interesting- the best parts of it were the cutscenes- the concept of the "story" was pretty terrible and I'm pretty glad it was scrapped in favor of SR4.
I really, really was hoping you would get to ride the raptors outside of that mission... And that the song was available too.

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

^^Just enter the game, it will pop-up in your quest objectives.
Finished the whole thing in over an hour, it's really short but it's a decent DLC.
Kinda disappointed that there were no rideable raptors you can spawn.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

BattleRobit posted:

^^Just enter the game, it will pop-up in your quest objectives.
Finished the whole thing in over an hour, it's really short but it's a decent DLC.
Kinda disappointed that there were no rideable raptors you can spawn.

I have. They're not there.

I figured it could actually be that my copy of SR4 is a RoW version, whereas I bought the season pass in the australian store. They could be incompatible, seeing as the store page for the pass says I already own it in the au store, but when I check out the US store, it says I don't.

Well gently caress. If that's the case it'd be nice if they at least told us that the pass was only compatible with copies bought in au regions.

Pretty sure Steam doesn't ever do refunds, either.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
That was quite a totally batshit ending.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
A fun way to spend an hour or so. No earth-shaking gameplay enhancements, but it was nice to have a reason to dust off the Boss and let her wreak some mayhem again. For anyone who might be on the fence, it's not a must buy but it'll extend your gameplay a little. At least it's repeatable so there's that.
And yes, the ending was total batshit.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
The DLC was kinda meh, as expected, but the real meat of it were the character interactions anyway, and it certainly delivered a short but sweet helping of that.

(ending talk) I basically knew what was going to happen at the end already by the early cutscene leaks and a certain feature being unearthed by modders. But at the back of my mind, I was going "Well, seeing as they have a thing for iconic old songs, and they got some kind of dinosaur thing going on in this somewhere, it would be awesome if they got that one song...", and then they actually loving did it. That was the payoff right there.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 23, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Hank Morgan posted:

That was quite a totally batshit ending.
So, Saints Row V then? Remake of Saints Row 1, only everyone is a Raptor.

Brick Shipment posted:

I believe that when region related fuckups have happened in the past, they've been more helpful

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So can I ask what the song is? I don't think I'll be buying the DLC, but I do love these sorts of things.

...is it Walk the Dinosaur?

EDIT: VV GOTY.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 23, 2013

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Cleretic posted:

So can I ask what the song is? I don't think I'll be buying the DLC, but I do love these sorts of things.

...is it Walk the Dinosaur?

Yes. Yes it is.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Brick Shipment posted:

I have. They're not there.

I figured it could actually be that my copy of SR4 is a RoW version, whereas I bought the season pass in the australian store. They could be incompatible, seeing as the store page for the pass says I already own it in the au store, but when I check out the US store, it says I don't.

Well gently caress. If that's the case it'd be nice if they at least told us that the pass was only compatible with copies bought in au regions.

Yeah, looks like I'm in the same boat. I'll raise a ticket and see what happens.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

Gwamp posted:

That was alright. Game is still buggy as gently caress. I ran into the alien RPG bug and could not get the final scene to load until I had un-equipped it.

Were you getting stuck at the loading screen? I just had it happen for the second time and it sucks having to replay the entire mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

My favorite joke in the DLC: Seeing the "defeat Zinyak in under five minutes" achievement and then getting to the fight and having him go down in one hit.

• Locked thread