Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple's slipping, the tech specs tab refuses to do anything on the new MacBook Pro page on the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
No Mac mini update. :smith: This is really disappointing considering the hd5000 was a pretty substantial bump in GPU power.

BrotherFish
Jul 25, 2007
Getting one of the newly announced rMBP. Which would future proof me a bit better? A 13" with 16GB or the 15" with 8GB and quad core. I really, really like the form factor of the 13", but wonder how badly I'm missing out with processing power. I've been making due with a 2011 13" air, so either should be a massive step up for me.

For reference, I do a lot of iOS and Android dev.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The 15" cMPB is gone from the store :angel:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I just can't see buying a new Mac Pro without being able to slot in a CUDA card, and my fibre or mini-SAS cards. I'm sure there will be T-bolt expansion chassis for all that, but it's just extra expense, points of failure, and cables/boxes taking up space. I'm not software locked to OSX any more, and my work gets a better deal on Windows workstations anyway, so I think this soon to be last generation Mac Pro will be my last.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

A 13" w/2.6 CPU, 8gb and 256gb ssd + Applecare comes out to $30 cheaper than the old model. :)

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

The 15" cMPB is gone from the store :angel:

Much like the iPad 2, the 13" shambles on.

eames
May 9, 2009

BrotherFish posted:

Which would future proof me a bit better?

Neither, buy whatever you need right now.

13" should be more than enough if you currently use a MBA.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

eames posted:

If you have a 256 GB model, you’re fine because Apple only used Samsung SSDs with that capacity.

It's a 256. Thanks for the info!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

It's a 256. Thanks for the info!

Ahem. *Quarter terabyte*

I was really looking forward to pricing out Mac Pro models. I'm putting in for some research money and need hard numbers.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

phosdex posted:

A 13" w/2.6 CPU, 8gb and 256gb ssd + Applecare comes out to $30 cheaper than the old model. :)

And if you're in the UK, you don't even need AppleCare. I'm extremely tempted to pick up the 2.4GHz 13", but I'm not sure of the difference between 5100 and 5200 Intel graphics. I'll be wanting to use it for photo editing (quite possibly on the go when I'm in the city, going out for a photo session then being able to touch up the photos during lunch) but I have no idea what kind of performance difference I'd be looking at if I ponied up £1,699 for the 15" MBP instead.

I feel like a the dual core Haswell should handle it, but if anyone else more experienced with laptop hardware could fill me in, that'd be great.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
The 13" only has Iris 5100, right?

Max PL
Apr 1, 2012

fookolt posted:

The 13" only has Iris 5100, right?

Yes.

eames
May 9, 2009

The 15" rMBP seems to have some odd things going on with the display resolutions.

According to the tech specs it doesn’t support 4k via Thunderbolt 2, only via HDMI.

quote:

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors
[…]
HDMI video output
Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So the 13" is using Iris 5100 and 15" is using the Crystalwell (HD 5200)?

Goddamn I want a 13" so bad I need the graphics performance of the 5200...

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'm sure those holding onto 8 or 12-core aluminum Mac Pros are just clutching them in their hands ever so dearly.
This is truly the voice of someone who can't afford it, but- $3K for a quad-core CPU with 12GB of RAM? My ability to grok this has dissolved completely. Seems like the minimum purchase is somewhere around $4.5-5K. 12GB of RAM is a joke, 256GB (or a single drive for that matter) is a joke. I guess the only thing that isn't is the GPUs. So 50% of the price is workstation graphics, right? And a very specific, non-replacable choice at that. And I'm sure it will be a very long time until Thunderbolt 1 or 2 graphics is anything close to a "standard".

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kuskus posted:

I'm sure those holding onto 8 or 12-core aluminum Mac Pros are just clutching them in their hands ever so dearly.
This is truly the voice of someone who can't afford it, but- $3K for a quad-core CPU with 12GB of RAM? My ability to grok this has dissolved completely. Seems like the minimum purchase is somewhere around $4.5-5K. 12GB of RAM is a joke, 256GB (or a single drive for that matter) is a joke. I guess the only thing that isn't is the GPUs. So 50% of the price is workstation graphics, right? And a very specific, non-replacable choice at that. And I'm sure it will be a very long time until Thunderbolt 1 or 2 graphics is anything close to a "standard".

Pretty sure you can upgrade the RAM yourself so it wouldn't make sense to order it fully-speced directly...

Do we know what's the corresponding retail model for the GPUs?

eames
May 9, 2009

shodanjr_gr posted:

Do we know what's the corresponding retail model for the GPUs?

Somebody over at ars posted this:

quote:

w7000: 1280 stream processors, 256-bit memory bus, retail $899
w8000: 1792 stream processors, 256-bit memory bus, retail $1599
w9000: 2048 stream processors, 384-bit memory bus, retail $3999

D300: 1280 stream processors, 256-bit memory bus
D500: 1526 stream processors, 384-bit memory bus
D700: 2048 stream processors, 384-bit memory bus

The D500 might be custom silicone. :iiam:

bonus anandtech review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6137/the-amd-firepro-w9000-w8000-review-part-1

eames fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 22, 2013

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

kuskus posted:

Eh. I mean the buying advice for the previous one was to generally avoid the two-socket models for most use cases.

Just in general, you're looking at an extremely different use case when you're talking about the new Mac Pro. If your workflow involves a lot of renders or something else that can get put in the GPU, then the 3k base model is pretty drat solid looking. I mean the SSD does seem meager, but also most people probably already have some crazy storage solution already for the media they're working with.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

eames posted:

Somebody over at ars posted this:

The D500 might be custom silicone. :iiam:

Given this, I don't see how the MP is expensive...Even if you are getting 20% off retail for the GPUs you are still looking at $1400 just for the graphics.

Any work-station class chassis with a XEON CPU is going to run you at least $1k. And this is 1/8th of the size, much more quite and has solid state storage.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
How long until this stuff is available from other online stores? (Best Buy, Amazon, etc)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the pseudo-equivalent GPU performance of the new 13-inchers?

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the pseudo-equivalent GPU performance of the new 13-inchers?

The 5100 is quoted as being about 20% faster than the 5000 due to increased thermal headroom, so the 13" rMBP should be a wee bit better than the Air but well shy of the Iris Pro or the GeForce 750M in the 15" rMBP.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On another note the App store has Mavericks for free:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

etalian posted:

Which is discussed extensively in the software thread.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

etalian posted:

Yeah, but what hasn't been mentioned is, it shows up in Software Updates.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Beelzebubba9 posted:

The 5100 is quoted as being about 20% faster than the 5000 due to increased thermal headroom, so the 13" rMBP should be a wee bit better than the Air but well shy of the Iris Pro or the GeForce 750M in the 15" rMBP.

I would presume that gaming performance is better VS the Air as well because you can set your res to 1280x800 instead of 1440x900?

I have a current 13" MBA and am thinking of taking it back to switch it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Anybody know if Mavericks will fix this issue:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

I'm a bit past the three year mark, but more importantly, don't have the time to send my machine away for a hardware fix for a week.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

magiccarpet posted:

I'm a bit past the three year mark, but more importantly, don't have the time to send my machine away for a hardware fix for a week.
I'm guessing if Lion and Mountain Lion didn't fix it for you, neither will Mavericks. See if there's an authorized apple repair store nearby you.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

magiccarpet posted:

If you're in the UK, you have another 3 years left.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

It's really weird and offputting that they've canned the discrete GPU in the base 15". I would think it was a strange maneuver even on a non-retina, but on a 15" rMBP that seems insane. Are there any numbers on how good Crystalwell 5200 is?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

cloudline posted:

Are there any numbers on how good Crystalwell 5200 is?
Rumors were that Apple is getting a unique part, so previous Crystalwell reviews may not be accurate. It's probably best to wait for Anand's review.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cross-posting between both threads, but god drat Mavericks :monocle:

It's really great to see improvements even on ancient hardware. Source.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wish my ancient hardware would run it :smith:.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do these overall savings require using Safari? Or will using Chrome realize similar energy savings?

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Welp, I've made the plunge into darkside and bought the 15". I currently have a HP elitebook running dual monitors via a docking station and a bunch of crap plugged into the said docking station. I was hoping for a new thunderbolt display as well to help me get rid of all the cables and poo poo all over my desk. I'm fine with waiting but is there a "decent" hub that would be similar to a docking station with multiple USB's ports etc.? I'm gonna need something to hold me over for a little bit, otherwise I'll just get a current TBD.

I'm fine using just the MBP for a display for the time being, just need USB's, maybe ethernet, etc.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

micron posted:

Welp, I've made the plunge into darkside and bought the 15". I currently have a HP elitebook running dual monitors via a docking station and a bunch of crap plugged into the said docking station. I was hoping for a new thunderbolt display as well to help me get rid of all the cables and poo poo all over my desk. I'm fine with waiting but is there a "decent" hub that would be similar to a docking station with multiple USB's ports etc.? I'm gonna need something to hold me over for a little bit, otherwise I'll just get a current TBD.

I'm fine using just the MBP for a display for the time being, just need USB's, maybe ethernet, etc.

My experiences with the Matrox TB dock were pretty bad. The USB would drop out and the box would need power cycled to recover them. This was a couple of months ago, but YMMV.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, I was really excited to replace my aging 2010 MBP, but the rMBP has so many features removed that the pricepoint is unjustifiable. No disc drive or even ethernet port on a 1500 dollar machine is ridiculous. Having a disc drive when I need it is incredibly handy, and carrying around that plug-in thing is super awkward and defeats the purpose of the sleek design. Almost none of the parts like the battery, SSD, or ram replaceable which removes a large amount of control I'd have. This thing is like a Rolls Royce circa 1940 with a locked engine cover and a stated horsepower as "sufficient." Just, damnit.

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 23, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Do these overall savings require using Safari? Or will using Chrome realize similar energy savings?

It's mainly because Mavericks is able to make more aggressive use of CPU power saving especially for the new Haswell CPUs.

Will it spoil me posted:

gently caress, I was really excited to replace my aging 2010 MBP, but the rMBP has so many features removed that the pricepoint is unjustifiable. No disc drive or even ethernet port on a 1500 dollar machine is ridiculous. Having a disc drive when I need it is incredibly handy, and carrying around that plug-in thing is super awkward and defeats the purpose of the sleek design. Almost none of the parts like the battery, SSD, or ram replaceable which removes a large amount of control I'd have. This thing is like a Rolls Royce circa 1940 with a locked engine cover and a stated horsepower as "sufficient." Just, damnit.

It's the old deja vu macs suck argument because they don't offer old school laptop features. You are probably better off getting a thinkpad if things such as the lack of CD drive or easy access for upgrades are a deal breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I really wanted to see a new TBD. All I can hope for now is a silent refresh before the holidays.