Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

You underestimate us, sir.

Where's that gif of David Caruso going 'gently caress you' I dug up a couple of weeks back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Bieeardo posted:

Where's that gif of David Caruso going 'gently caress you' I dug up a couple of weeks back?

I'm trying one more time to run a Dungeon World game before giving up.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Doomsayer posted:

The first time I showed up I was psyched, because I was actually waved over by a girl who is a student in the class I TA for. We were talking about D&D, she said she was just starting out but thought it was fun, etc. She introduced me to her friends and the girl that brought her. Eventually the subject of starting a new splinter group got broached, and she got as far as saying "Well, we'd like to start a new group, but don't have a DM." I was mulling over how creepy it would be to offer to DM considering A) We had just officially met and B) I'm her teacher. Before I reached a decision, I got cut off by them announcing the random groups. Cue the 20-minute exposition dump by the bartender and me bailing.

You had a bad experience, but you obviously enjoy pretending that you is an elf.

Give it another shot at some point, maybe wait until next semester when this woman is not in your class & float the idea of starting your own group then. Or if you go back, try to keep an eye out for good or fun players/GMs and see if you can cobble a group together.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Doomsayer posted:

I was mulling over how creepy it would be to offer to DM considering A) We had just officially met and B) I'm her teacher. Before I reached a decision, I got cut off by them announcing the random groups. Cue the 20-minute exposition dump by the bartender and me bailing.
Play in a public place if you think it's creepy. You're not asking them on a date, so don't act like it's one.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Play in a public place if you think it's creepy. You're not asking them on a date, so don't act like it's one.

Teachers/TAs should not be hanging out with their students outside of class. This includes playing dwarfgames.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

Teachers/TAs should not be hanging out with their students outside of class. This includes playing dwarfgames.

Yep. Ultimately I figured defeating imaginary monsters using the power of math wasn't worth my job. :smith:

Were I just a normal non-staff grad student, I would've offered on the spot, but I hesitated enough to get cut off. Probably for the best.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
It's freaking amazing how much pets and/or babies running around can impact a game. I was giving a speech as the super haughty and regal queen when my two year old nephew runs up to the table and starts reaching for the ice dragon. So I kind of bust out "Please excuse the crown prince."

The next bit happened this past weekend and I'm crossposting it from the GM thread.

Writer Cath posted:

Moment of the night: There's a sleeping sickness affecting half the local mages and clerics. My PCs come into the cleric hall the following morning and ask for Dom, the head cleric. My dog is standing by the table, hoping to score some petting and/or treats.

"We need to speak to Dom."

"I'm sorry... Dom was murdered last night."

Out of nowhere, my dog whimpers. It was amazing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I've played in a few game where an uncaring cat has trampled the battle-grid, causing shifts in reality after everyone forgets where the figures and placeholders were.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Achmed Jones posted:

Teachers/TAs should not be hanging out with their students outside of class.
Really? My professors in grad school were always seriously chill. They had lunch and beers with the students during residencies and such. We never played D&D with them, but...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Chaltab posted:

Really? My professors in grad school were always seriously chill. They had lunch and beers with the students during residencies and such. We never played D&D with them, but...

Grad students get quite a bit more leeway since they're as much colleagues as students, most of the time.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Chaltab posted:

The professor-grad student relationship is very, very different from the professor-undergrad or TA-undergrad relationship, as VanSandman said.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We quite regularly go out drinking with some of the (mature) undergrads in our dept., even while they've been in the classes that some of us were/are teaching. I don't think anyone's ever objected to us doing it.

Different strokes etc.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I'd assume there's a lot of variance between majors; I switched in undergrad and watched my relationship with professors go from "all business, no small talk, barely remembers my name" to "hang out outside of class, bullshit about movies and cooking, curse liberally usually about ex-wives".

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

AmiYumi posted:

I'd assume there's a lot of variance between majors; I switched in undergrad and watched my relationship with professors go from "all business, no small talk, barely remembers my name" to "hang out outside of class, bullshit about movies and cooking, curse liberally usually about ex-wives".

There's a lot of variance within majors too. I had some profs who never said a word to me outside of class and I've had one invite 5-6 of us undergrads to her house to hang out and eat dinner.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Fresh from my on-going Call of Cthulhu/13th Age hybrid game comes a story I'm calling "Beware of Gods bearing Gifts"

So, a recent session ended with a lot of players having cashed-in on banked partial icon successes with various Elder Gods (for those unfamiliar with 13th Age, players roll Icon Dice, a d6 per point in an icon relationship, at the beginning of each play session. Every 6 is a success, and represents something good with that Icon. A 5 is a partial success, which represents a good thing with strings attached), in exchange for some very handy combat tricks. Wanting to make sure combat kept moving, I gave each player a vague message about owing each God a favor in the near future.

I began the next session by explaining the nature of that favor. The party had accumulated quite a lot of wealth, having just murdered Gheed, a Greed Demon who had made quite the living off of people who had sold themselves for power to the gluttonous demon. This results in some... interesting requests from the Elder Gods they owed. Each Old One (Azathoth, Yog'Sothoth, Hastur, and Cthulhu, in this case) wanted the party members they had assisted to build a giant shrine to the God. The shrine could take any form they liked, but it had to be big, it had to be amazing, and it had to get results (in this case, worshipers).

I'm rather delighted with what they came up with.

Xena Marsh, the Deep One Ranger decided to build a shrine to Cthulhu that features giant tentacles made entirely of gold within Innsmouth. It also has a marble throne attached to it for a little bit of Dagon love. Unbeknownst to her, it also contains mind control runes to make sure that it gets results.

Gertz Gentile, un-dead demon Rogue, also built his shrine to Hastur within Innsmouth. It takes up an entire city block, and takes the form of a giant mask, meant to represent the ambition Hastur bestows upon his subjects. It also contains a labyrinth devoted to Nyerlethotep. There may be some hypnosis enchantments engraved into the mask. You can't trust demon contractors. He's also made sure that the Demon Mafia he works for gets a lot of representation within the city. The people of Innsmouth are not okay with this.

Literally Sherlock Holmes, Monk, bought a clock museum in Arkham devoted to Yog'Sothoth. The outside of it will contain marvelous spheres. He's also hired an R&D team to work on the inside and develop new gadgets for his enjoyment. The spheres probably contain some type of rune to entice victims visitors to enter the museum.

The Faceless Cleric wants to build a Doomsday Cannon. Because what the gently caress else would appease Azathoth? He eventually seeks to turn the device against the Blind Idiot God, because the Faceless hates all gods

Mr. Mustachioed Manly, Frog-Human Fighter, didn't have a God to pay off, so she decided to use her vast stacks of cash to outfit her Frog People with a level of weaponry that puts the US Army of their time period (1953) to shame. She may be planning on marching on Innsmouth. She may win.

All-in-all, it has set some really interesting tensions within the party. Especially with a looming war between Dagon and Mordin, god of ghouls, that the party may be in the middle of. If they manage to come out of this both alive and on the same side, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Applying the icon success system to CoC has been a little hit-or-miss. Sometimes it works out perfectly, with the Elder Gods straying from their normal role of indifference to further their own nebulous designs, and sometimes it kind of feels like "Uh... Azathoth was feeling nice, so here's a sweet knife!" I try to make sure that we end up with more like the former, and less like the latter.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 23, 2013

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Let's see.. this one's a bit old, but it's still funny.

Game of Dragonlance AD&D.

Party (the names have been hidden to protect the guilty)

Yours Truly The GM
Willing to match a bit of insanity with a bit of insanity.. Little do I know that my players are more insane than I could ever be.

The Party

James Hawknose: Played a Fighter whose main role was to be the straight man for all the insanity happening around him. Usually by facepalming in horror as things went from bad to worse. Spent all his money on random items just to say he had spent all his money pre-game. This is important later because his companion was...

Kathumpa Cartwheelkick: (I give him this nickname because he later discovered the most broken move ever, the cartwheel kick in Street Fighter The RPG and used it to basically take over the campaign): Played (you guessed it).. a kender. Loved to "borrow" various items from the party (especially the fighter, who had his bag of raisins liberated by the kender six or seven times, and usually only found out about said borrowing when the kender offered him a raisin)

Thin McNeedlethin: Basically, he was a matchstick that would blow over in a stiff breeze. Played Chaotic Stupid Mage. Very close to Chaotic Suicidal. Threatened to use the kender for a walking torch the first time he saw the kender eyeing his spell components.

Beardy McBeard: Built like a dwarf. (muscled, not fat). Played a dwarf cleric.

The Mission:They were to take a missive from the local human kingdoms with information on the remnants of one of the Dragonarmies, asking for the Solmanic Knights Help. The nearest outpost of the Knights was.. at Mount Nevermind.

Yes. Home of the Tinker Gnomes.

They killed draconians hoping to steal the missive.. when the dwarf lost his axe in a dead draconian's body (the Baaz draconian turns to stone when slain), he takes out his hammer, and spends the next several turns trying to smash the stone body to bits. He really loved his axe.

They realize that the Dragonarmies are closer then they thought, and made all due speed to Mount Nevermind, the dragonarmies no less than a day away when they meet and deliver the missive to the Knights, who prepare for war. A curious tinkergnome asks what the humans are all worked up about.

The kender tells them.

So, the Tinker Gnomes go To War. This is a great opportunity for them to try out all their new toys.

You may facepalm now.

Well, it doesn't go great for the Tinker Gnomes, not least because the Entabulator War Machine and Pancake Maker (yes, it started as an automatic pancake maker and ended up being the tinker gnome version of a main battle tank when modifications were complete) was on the 17th level.

Tinker Gnomes aren't big on stairs.. they've built a system of catapults and nets to get from one level to another. They attempted to catapult the tank to the first level, but.. yeah. broken catapult, broken net.. broken floor.. broken Entabulator. Although the tinker gnome who saw it smash had some great ideas for the Entabulator 2.0 to fix that problem..

(The Kender borrowed several items while exploring Mount Nevermind, including a steam powered fiddle and a version of a thunderstone (called an artificial Indoor Rain maker)

So, queue up big battle scene, the party joins the tinker gnomes in riding to help the Knights fend off the draconian attack... including an alpha-testing version of the Entabulator 2.0.. powered by steam created from some strange alchemical process that yes, you guessed it, used the raisins the kender kept borrowing from the fighter. (this is why the Kender and tinker gnomes working together are bad things, folks)

Well, the tinker gnome riding it accidentally engages the Auto-dismounter (you and I would call it an ejection seet), and the kender has to drive it.. he sees the fighter go down under the weight of numbers, and drives over several draconians. The mage is nearly out of spells, the dwarf has gone down.. he needs to get there fast!

The Kender attempts to figure out how to make the Entabulator go faster, and "succeeds" miserably (yes, this is more of an epic fail). He decides that the best way to do that is: "If putting the raisins is what makes it go, if I make a hole in the boiler and put all the raisins in at once, it will REALLY GO FAST"

So he aims at the Aurak leading the draconian army, and at the right moment, stabs the feed mechanism, feeding all the raisins into the boiler at the same time.

It starts to make a hideous screeching noise, and he figures out that getting far away would be a good thing. He runs while the Aurak tries to cast a spell to stop the Entabulator... just as he goes under the wheels, (Auraks explode when they die) the spell goes off, and the boiler explodes...

I'd say the explosion was cataclysmic, but that's a very specific term in Krynn. so it was nearly cataclysmic. The Kender barely survives, the draconian army leadership is shattered, and the Knights are able to rally and to force the draconian army to split up and retreat in a broken fashion.

Later, at a victory feast (held by the humans, who declined all cooking help from gnomes OR kenders), the mage desides that the Knights are taking all the glory and challenges the Knight of the Rose leading the Solmanics to a formal duel to settle this.

I give him multiple chances to back down, but he refuses. This is Chaotic Stupid folks.

Well, in the duel, he gets smacked around by the flat of the blade of the Knight of the Rose who's TRYING not to kill him, and is offered a chance to apologize and end this feud now..

he spits on the Knight.

Yeah, Chaotic Stupid crossed the line into Chaotic Suicidal.

So the mage gets skewered, and the adventure came to an end.

We never did continue the campaign, and I wonder what happened to those tinker gnomes and the kender...

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Writer Cath posted:

It's freaking amazing how much pets and/or babies running around can impact a game. I was giving a speech as the super haughty and regal queen when my two year old nephew runs up to the table and starts reaching for the ice dragon. So I kind of bust out "Please excuse the crown prince."

This always seems to happen. In a vampire game I was in, we had been building up to a sermon by the Presbyter of Montreal for a few weeks. Our storyteller was low and intense, giving a chilling insight into the hellish perversion that is vampiric Catholicism, when her newish cat decided to jump up on her desk and wave her butt in our poor, put upon storyteller's face, repeatedly. Luckily it was over skype so we couldn't see it happen, but hearing about it after the fact explained the muffled audio. :v:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doomsayer posted:

UNR Dragon Club is the club. I'd kind of considered starting my own club, but all my time is taken up by grad school, and the Dragon club already meets at the best time (Friday afternoons). I offered to DM a new system, and got this response on their forum after making a post that said "Hey, I love teaching new systems! If anyone's interested in <long list of systems>, I'd be more than happy to run a couple games of it!":

:sigh:

I know, but I just wanted to rescue them, okay? I just wanted to take a few under my wing and show them the sacred ways of Funhaving, like I used to in undergrad. I dunno, perhaps I've grown too old, maybe I'm not the savior D&D 3.5 needs anymore :smith:

The first time I showed up I was psyched, because I was actually waved over by a girl who is a student in the class I TA for. We were talking about D&D, she said she was just starting out but thought it was fun, etc. She introduced me to her friends and the girl that brought her. Eventually the subject of starting a new splinter group got broached, and she got as far as saying "Well, we'd like to start a new group, but don't have a DM." I was mulling over how creepy it would be to offer to DM considering A) We had just officially met and B) I'm her teacher. Before I reached a decision, I got cut off by them announcing the random groups. Cue the 20-minute exposition dump by the bartender and me bailing.

Hey Reno buddy, try hitting up Comic Kingdom on Moana Lane. They have all kinds of gaming groups who meet there, you should be able to find a group more to your liking.

Our last game had a few notable moments. Our group ended up fighting some homebrew frog demon who had octopus tentacles, badgers for hands and the Swallow Whole ability. As soon as the fight started my witch shot off a hex that failed, so the demon zeroes in one me and swallows me whole. Everyone assumes I'm screwed since I was going to be taking acid,poison and crushing damage every round. Little did they know what I had up my sleeve. Since the party was technically seperated, I had to go in the kitchen until it was my turn.

GM asks me what I do.
I pull an "Apple of Eternal Sleep" out of my bag and rub it all over the inside of the frog demon's stomach. The apple rules "if the creature gets even a tiny tase of the apple" it is affected. Frog Demon fails it save and collapses.

Next round comes up and I come up first. GM asks me what I do. It was going to be a acrobatics check to get out of the stomach through the mouth and a series of fort saves to go out the the other end.

Since the demon was asleep, I decided to Cou De Grais my way out of the stomach.

The group had no idea how I got out. All they saw was me getting swallowed, then a next round the demon falls over and I cut my way out of his stomach with a scythe. I still haven't told them how I pulled it off and they are all now terrified of me.

Your Gay Uncle fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 23, 2013

Der Metzgermeister
Nov 27, 2005

Denn du bist was du isst, und ihr wisst was es ist.
So I've posted in this thread about Sam before. I briefly mentioned his antics in our Star Wars game. Not only did he enjoy creating in-party conflict, he also tended to nearly get us killed with his idiocy. Like the time we were in the middle of a delicate conversation with a Hutt crime Lord -- on the Hutt homeworld, mind you, outside the Republic's jurisdiction -- and Sam thought that declaring that he was a Jedi would somehow help. Or the time he offered a pitiful amount of money for that same Hutt's slave dancer, apparently just because.

There was also the time he used a slave for trap bait, then cut a breast off her corpse and freeze-dried it to turn into a Dark Side talisman, but that's getting into cat piss territory.

That campaign had its share of fun moments, though. Our characters met because we were all being held captive together and decided to break out (apparently circumventing half the plot, though we didn't find out until later) and when we reached the entrance of the complex, there was a laser security grid across the floor. The computer to shut it off was by the front door, on the other side of the room. My Bothan Scoundrel was the only character with any computer skills.

So I turn to another player, Daniel, who's running a Mon Cal Jedi. "Do you have the Move Object power?"
"Yeah, but I can't pull the computer over."
"Lift me over to the computer."

And so over the course of a few turns, he dangled me over the console and I turned the grid off Mission: Impossible style. :cool:

Der Metzgermeister fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 24, 2013

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

AmiYumi posted:

It's one of those things where in practice yeah it's totally fine 99.9% of the time, but according to university rules you're not technically allowed to "show preference" to a student (by hanging out with them, drinking, etc.), so if someone felt like being a dick and reporting it you could get in trouble.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Hey Reno buddy, try hitting up Comic Kingdom on Moana Lane. They have all kinds of gaming groups who meet there, you should be able to find a group more to your liking.

Really? I've been there, but I thought they only did Pathfinder? I might have to go check it out. Though generally the only thing worse than official university tabletop groups are comic book store tabletop groups :ohdear:

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 23, 2013

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They host a Pathfinder Societies, but I've seen 2e, 3, 3.5, Traveler and Rifts games played there. I can't vouch for the quality of the groups but seems to be a decent variety of options.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

2e, 3, 3.5, Traveler and Rifts

...that doesn't make me feel better.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Hmm, so how about a more positive experience? It was, if anything, really amusing.

3.5/Pathfinder, different group than in my previous stories, actually good GM, all that. Game is level 10+ by this point. Forgotten Realms setting. our party has been traveling all over the place, getting support for an oncoming war against The Forces Of Evil(™). This includes going to Not-The-Far-East-Really and Maztica. This particular story happened in the latter.

We find a temple, which had apparently been settled by some conquistador-type worshippers of one of the good gods, and things had gone Wrong. The place reeked with evil, and we fought our way through it finally reaching a desecrated altar, which we promptly purified.

And then, it all begins to crumble, the earth split open, we get the hell out of dodge, as the GM describes a gigantic, terrifying winged serpent emerging from the ground of the desecrated temple.

So our rogue does the only thing he can think of and shoots of a sneak attack before the thing can get ready.

GM pauses and goes "… are you sure? You don't know yet if..."
Rogue: Its a big scary snake and I'm shooting it. Its the only natural thing to do.

In the discussion that follows, I guess that the GM -really- doesn't want us to shoot this guy, which, in my head, means its a Good Creature, because the guy is pretty much a Lawful Good dude IRL and he wouldn't object to something evil getting shot.

Me: Why don't you roll an intelligence check to see if you can stop yourself from shooting it?
Rogue: OK. *roll. Natural 1*
GM: … *sigh*, fine, shoot.
Rogue: *roll* *natural 20. Another 20.*
GM: Uh, ok, the damage…
Rogue: *Rolls damage. MASSIVE NUMBERS.*
GM: … and that's over half his health…

We are using an "If you lose over half your health on a single attack roll your fort (fairly easy check) or you die" rule.

GN: Well, that's fine, anything higher than a 1 will make the roll *NATURAL 1* :cripes:

And that's the story of how we accidentally killed an avatar of Quetzalcoatl, and then went on to have a trial in the hells for our "unspeakably evil deed". We managed to get declared not-quilty much to the displeasure of various devils.

The IDEA, as he explained later, was that the avatar had been trapped by the evil energies of the temple, and freeing it would have gotten us support in Maztica. As it was, we lost the support of an entire continent because we kinda unleashed evil on it. Whoops.

(I am sad that the GM and my party isn't familiar with Phoenix Wright, or the trial could have been incredibly amusing)

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Good to see the RPG tradition of doing Really Dumb Decisions And Getting Away With It lives on.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure that's actually a tradition of most media involving adventures.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
My party never makes really dumb decisions, and it's disappointing. :(

Like just last session the PC Sorcerer asked his PC girlfriend Ranger to assassinate a... well not exactly innocent, but undeserving of death... guy he was afraid would sell him out to the mafia, and she was all, sure I'd love to! But then I reminded them of a story detail that they had forgotten and they were like, "Oh, never mind then, that would be out of character."

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Really dumb decisions in RPGs own because a DM can pretty much carry a whole campaign through those. "Are you seriously going to put that cursed artifact into your body?", "You really want to loot this skull inside of which there's some ancient evil spirit?", "Nah, don't shoot the Ork Warboss's future ride before it's mobile, no way is that going to bite us in the rear end", "You want to negotiate with the Eldar... alone and unsupported?", "I'mma bite the Inquisition assassin" and of course "Let's organize a tour for this seemingly low level Chaos cultist rock band!"

The 4th edition group I'm in doesn't do nearly as much retarded decisions as the RT group and it's such a shame. We did once do a double team suplex on a small child and threaten to burn down an inn, but that's pretty much it.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Sometimes a single sentence can alter the course and atmosphere of an entire campaign. My personal favorite came after 20 minutes of discussion of the best way to silently and tactically infiltrate a fortified mansion:

"Guys, we're going about this all wrong. We need a truck."

Cue five sessions of crashing increasingly powerful armored trucks into buildings in order to get at the people inside them.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of a story told to me by a friend. He was in some kind of Marvel superhero-based game, and the GM was running it with a distinct horror bent with Doctor Octopus putting his mind and tentacles to nasty guerrilla use against the PCs.

That is, until he began a particularly purple description of Doc Ock having cornered the party in a sewer trunk and how his steel testicles reached out and tore the grate away and...

...and the whole table erupted in gales of laughter as all that tension came spilling out. They never finished the adventure, because every time they stopped laughing, someone would start giggling again, and the GM was adamant that 'you will respect my villain'.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
After a few years of no gaming, this thread has inspired me to get a group going again! I ended up with 3-4 buddies, all of whom have never touched a pencil and paper game in their life. This makes the whole experience kind of "meta" for me: as their characters level up, so the PC's level up too as they learn how the hell to roleplay. :eng101:

This is a D20 Modern campaign (a basic enough way to start them I supposed) with a strong dose of "houseruling" and the PC's (when not confused and waiting for direction from me ) are basically militarized cops from a dystopian alternate version of the USA (taking heavy cues from Judge Dredd, Mad Max, and Max Payne). The idea is (similar to Shadowrun I think) that the USA is now split into multiple faction states that operate similar to independent countries. The PC's are staged in the New USA sector in the Midwest which is a combination of crumbling urban centers and vast wastles of depleted farmland. As law enforcement personnel, they have a pretty stellar record so far.

One guy insists on keeping all the extra drugs they find in his inventory for "safe keeping." Another guy tried to ambush an attacker, failed his strength roll miserably, and basically got knocked flat on his rear end by a rickety old door. These two then tried to shoot a lock off a trap door, failed their roll 3 times, and basically ruined the lock, and almost made it impossible to open (until I not-so-subtlely hinted that maybe they should find a pry bar of some kind).

Their crowning achievement so far, though, is their response to a serious domestic call from a tenement complex. They show up and, long story short, two families (who live across the hall) hate each other for murky reasons. After a few minutes of ineffectual attempts to defuse the situation, the families pull weapons with the PC's trapped in the middle, at this point the PC's are bored/frustrated so they announce that they are dropping a live grenade and diving out of the room. We roll, they score fantastically and the PC's go tumbling right out the door, into the hallway, leaving a hot frag grenade in their wake. The room goes up in a powerful blast, and every NPC (both fueding families) in the room dies, except for one poor bastard who staggers out with an arm off -who the PC's promptly execute. Case closed, they escape the building in the chaos and tell their Sgt. that the whole thing was the gang upstairs' fault and roll a nat 20 on their bluff check, actually getting rewarded for their scorched-earth policy.

Pro :cop:, obviously. Everyone seems to be having fun though, despite some minor annoyance from one player who yearns for more open descion making. This yearning is tampered by the fact that the other two seem content to trundle around stealing/shooting/beating things. I've developed a bit of a branching plot hook that should hopefully take care of this though... We will see next week!

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 24, 2013

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Boru posted:

We will see next week!

Sounds fun. I look forward to hearing more.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's good cop, there's bad cop, and there's cop who doesn't give a gently caress and tosses grenades at things.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Good to see the RPG tradition of doing Really Dumb Decisions And Getting Away With It lives on.
My crew of pirates was hanging out on Party Island (that's what it says on the map, too) with the barbarian having agreed to make a special return appearance at the local cagefighting arena. Her opponent was a mysterious undefeated masked fighter who the party figured out was actually undead, but didn't tell anyone. So, they're in the cage together, the rest of the crew is in the audience, and they have 150 gold coins on her (the party necromancer put 10 on her opponent). Fight's going well until the barbarian has had enough of this guy always getting back up and starts to rage and really going to town on him: dislocating limbs, biting him, and finally putting him in a tight headlock. My rule for the cagefights was, you have to think of a finishing move once your opponent is beaten down to 0 HP, so she told me she's going to rip his head off.

I told her upfront, these fights are generally to a KO, the audience might take that the wrong way. And her reply is, doesn't matter, he's just a zombie and I'm mad at him, his head comes off. Now here's a sizable crowd who have all come to see the one-night-only appearance of a familiar face against the undefeated mysterious newcomer and are hoping to see some intense fighting, often there's blood but that's just part of it all you know, and rarely there's a broken bone, and now there's that familiar face ripping her opponent's head off and roaring as she hold it high up in the air, and sure enough a panic breaks out. Suddenly that cage doesn't look all that stable anymore to anyone. In the midst of people fleeing the arena the party collect first their barbarian and then their winnings and then get the hell out of there, because they're already on so-so terms with the local underworld and they will definitely not appreciate this.

My group is usually very big on avoiding any risk at all so that was really refreshing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

In my first 4e game (using roll20 as well), I used FuegoFish's Mimic race to create Mahogany L'uhgahge, Mimic Rogue. It lead to some pretty grey moments, such as:

-Enemies on a raised platform 10 feet above us? No need for acrobatics, I'll pull a 10ft ladder out of my mouth.
-Swallowing unconscious baddies for safekeeping.
-Later spitting them out over a 30ft drop to traumatize any remaining enemies.
-Hiding other small members of the party like I'm some kind of clown car.

It's a bit of a shame that the game ended due to schedule problems, because we were planning on houseruling that the extradimensional space in Mahogany's gullet could eventually house several people, as long as we found an air supply. We would have had the best rec room ever.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Green Intern posted:

In my first 4e game (using roll20 as well), I used FuegoFish's Mimic race to create Mahogany L'uhgahge, Mimic Rogue. It lead to some pretty grey moments, such as:

-Enemies on a raised platform 10 feet above us? No need for acrobatics, I'll pull a 10ft ladder out of my mouth.
-Swallowing unconscious baddies for safekeeping.
-Later spitting them out over a 30ft drop to traumatize any remaining enemies.
-Hiding other small members of the party like I'm some kind of clown car.

It's a bit of a shame that the game ended due to schedule problems, because we were planning on houseruling that the extradimensional space in Mahogany's gullet could eventually house several people, as long as we found an air supply. We would have had the best rec room ever.

I feel like this is about how a Kirby RPG would go.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
My wife and I finally agreed to join my co-worker in his group's weekly Pathfinder group thanks to this thread. While some of the horror stories are pretty terrible, the good ones here convinced us to give tabletop RPGs a go, and definitely don't regret it. No stories worth posting in this thread so far, but I must say that I was incredibly relieved that the GM wasn't like some of the ones I read about. It was honestly one of the best times I've had playing any game in years, and we plan to go every week for the foreseeable future. Also, the comic book store they play at had a cat-piss guy. His aroma was more along the lines of dog-food, but we had a good laugh over it once we went outside and were able to breathe.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Doomsayer posted:

Really? I've been there, but I thought they only did Pathfinder? I might have to go check it out. Though generally the only thing worse than official university tabletop groups are comic book store tabletop groups :ohdear:

It seems to be true. :smith:

My old group fractured apart thanks to Real Life Problems, so eventually I asked "Hey, who wants to play tabletop RPGs?" to some of my other friends online. After nailing down a day, we had to figure out a place; my flat was out of the question and nobody else wanted to sacrifice their living space, so we did the only natural thing, which was meet at the local comic/game store. This is the first decision of what's probably becoming a downward spiral.

The few times we meet we decided to just play board games. The first day only one guy showed up, we started off playing Gauntlet but it was cut short due to the game eating his face. Lo and behold, a kid at the game store appears, seems alright, we start to whip out All Flesh Must Be Eaten and he starts talking about sexual stuff, like his girlfriend only doing oral sex but fortunately that didn't last long. :catstare: I chalked it up to, "I was an awful person as a highschooler, too, so who am I to judge?" instead of deciding to meet somewhere else. The creepy people a table over left us in peace, thankfully.

The next time was worse. More people showed up, but they were all an hour or two late. In the meantime, our group is assailed by two friendly individuals who I will classify as Greaser and Fedora. Greaser seemed alright but could not stop sperging on the new Pokemon, which had disastrous results as I found I was the only person in the store who didn't own a 3DS. Fedora seems to be on a slippery slope into grognardom. We played one game of Haunted House on the Hill and that was it. It took twenty minutes to play out turns, since everybody was paying more attention to swapping pocket monsters and street passing then the game, and every player would need a recap of what had happened. Greaser instigated most of this and later, when the haunt started, Fedora started yelling at us for being idiots when in reality he was the only person not trying to track down the traitor.

They then invited us to play their "anthropomorphic martial arts" 3.5e game :negative:

I told the group I was going to run a game this week for Halloween, a Call of Cthulu game (pregen characters) using the Lover in the Ice scenario from No Security. I made sure that my players were okay with the creepy aspects of the game, but we're still running it at the FLGS. I have a feeling that if more random people invite themselves in, its not going to end well.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

The Meat Dimension posted:

I told the group I was going to run a game this week for Halloween, a Call of Cthulu game (pregen characters) using the Lover in the Ice scenario from No Security. I made sure that my players were okay with the creepy aspects of the game, but we're still running it at the FLGS. I have a feeling that if more random people invite themselves in, its not going to end well.

That's pretty raw, but you shouldn't let random strangers drag you down. "Sorry, this game's already planned out, we're not taking any pickups." Also, it sounds like you're not from the states, but over here public libraries often have rooms you can use for whatever. Some take reservations, some are first come first serve, but you might look into that if your gaming store is a poor environment for you.

For a long time I thought I didn't have any cat-piss stories because I barely spent any time at my FLGS, but then the other day I remembered that I do, in fact. I went to D&D encounters for a few weeks when they were doing Darksun in 4e. The second time I went, there was a Pathfinder group of probably 8 people a few tables over. As we were getting set up, so were they, and a...generously portly gentleman with a tiny fedora on his exceedingly large head was giving us the eyeball. Finally he spoke up about the travesty that was us playing 4th edition. I hadn't taken notice of him until this point. The DM for this game handled it astonishingly well and didn't need any help from me, so I just looked at this guy. It all seemed pretty bog standard ubernerd until I noticed that he was carrying a gun on his belt. In plain sight. In the game store. This is legal where I am with a permit, but...seriously? I know a little bit about guns, as well, and this was a .45, this was a serious weapon, and he's over there trying to start an edition war. I only went back once after that.

Varjon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 27, 2013

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Honestly if another person invites themselves over I would just say "look, not trying to be unfriendly, but we're trying to play a game here. Just us, just this game. Maybe when we're done we can chat about whatever."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks for the advice! I haven't run anything in public before, these common-sense things kinda went over my head :blush:

Also, thanks for the library suggestion. I've been looking for alternative venues, hopefully thats one that can work.