Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Aardwolf is pretty okay for what it is, though I always get messed up by the lack of the northeast like directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Does anyone play HellMOO anymore, or has it gone completely to poo poo?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

Does anyone play HellMOO anymore, or has it gone completely to poo poo?

I still chillmin there and I think a few people play. Some of the Pvp nerfs have been rolled back or changed - FC is a green zone, and other zones are free for alls. Robbing requires a corp or personal challenge, although you can issue challenges by barging into somebody's room, for instance. Necanthrope retired? I haven't actually had much time to play.

The other variants are just dead, original hellmoo still has 50+ players at peak.

http://pastebin.com/f74622ca aka hellmoo triumphs posted:

McBain says, "Filling out offical FCPD paperwork is very serious business."
McBain says, "Please explain your report."

Deathly genmac says, "I refuse your justice"
[gv6] Deathly genmac's needle rifle bounces off McBain's ego.
McBain ducks and weaves, seeking cover.

Tendrils of thick black fog erupt from Deathly genmac's mouth like ghostly tentacles, swirling as they fill the room with darkness.
McBain looks stunned.

Deathly genmac's eyes go wide as the dead end approaches fast.
McBain strides coolly out of the south.
McBain waves her hand and Deathly genmac becomes rigid.

McBain says, "You have one count of attempted murder, and a count of exploiting the system using our reporting system."
Deathly genmac says, "I main7ain my inn0c3nc3 lol"

You feel an ethereal hand reaching down into your body and ripping your soul free of its corporeal prison. You rise faster, faster, through infinite space rushing toward a tunnel of bright light...

edit 2 (lol):

quote:

On your wristpad radio: [cam-Lobby] Nivlac says, "Atleast I learned a lesson."

edit: another installment of meantime on wayfar, the new planet description generators CheechLizard whipped up:

quote:

WY-1444 is a Mainly Industrial Hagiocracy populated by obese text game programmers
The primary export is inert metal, the traditional dish is Minced Giraffe with Compote of Reduction and the national flag has a vech on it.

LN-1502 is a Poor Agricultural Federal government populated by born again mormons
The primary export is disappointment, the traditional dish is Broasted Mongoose with Deviled Egg Butter and the national flag has a Janet Bass (prostitute) on it.

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 19, 2013

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!

quote:

text bastard is a Rich Agricultural Hagiocracy populated by inert metal 80's pop sensations
The primary export is penis enlargement pills, the traditional dish is Flat Iron Wolverine with Corned Bisque and the national flag has a Jaylin Watson (jerk ruffian) on it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've finally sat down and played a bit of HellMOO and it's actually pretty drat fun. Took some getting used to coming from my Diku/ROM background but I'm enjoying myself. And by enjoying myself, I mean slaughtering orphans, breaking my jaw on jawbreakers, and having sex with random NPCs for money.

Edit: whoever this "cron" dude is, he's a pretty chill guy

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
ndy sent this lovely paste to me http://pastebin.com/f58f2ee41 from years ago
since they have mostly reneged on the PVP rules (with the exception of FC) I'm probably going to play HellMOO again because I hate myself and want to die.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The only MUD I ever played was Realms of Despair but I'm willing to give Icesus a chance since goons are apparently playing it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Orange_Lazarus posted:

The only MUD I ever played was Realms of Despair but I'm willing to give Icesus a chance since goons are apparently playing it.

Not really anymore, from what I've seen.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

There's Imrael, Ralech and Ricven at lower levels, and Kerral who is super high level that play regularly. One or two more who probably wont come back, but I'm holding out hope

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
There's goons that play Icesus, as Vadun pointed out, but some days we end up just doing our own things and chatting rather than doing stuff together. I'd encourage you to see if you can both find a soloable guild and find the game enjoyable enough on its own merits to keep your attention; there just isn't a critical mass of goon players like you'd find in many MMOGs.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man, adjusting to a new MUD after playing one for years is such a pain in the rear end.

I would recommend goons try Realms of Despair, the PVE was fun and the immortals would have custom quests from time to time. PVP is dead though.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I would recommend goons try Realms of Despair, the PVE was fun and the immortals would have custom quests from time to time. PVP is dead though.
Here's my big post on RoD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238046&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post376716246

It's a fun MUD, but has some big problems that made me lose interest. My biggest problem was how bad casters are. You can have a lot of fun rolling up a hybrid or hitter and exploring/learning the MUD though!

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

ARACHNOTRON posted:

since they have mostly reneged on the PVP rules (with the exception of FC) I'm probably going to play HellMOO again because I hate myself and want to die.

nevermind I reported a bug and then got banned for it :c00l:

pre:
 > Killmore     instead of us fixing this bug, how about you gently caress 
    Today 16:27    off to shitland and never bother us again?

Smarmy Coworker fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 22, 2013

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

ARACHNOTRON posted:

nevermind I reported a bug and then got banned for it :c00l:

pre:
 > Killmore     instead of us fixing this bug, how about you gently caress 
    Today 16:27    off to shitland and never bother us again?

:c00l: HellMOO speed run

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Alastor teleports rebar junker out.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Dex posted:

Alastor teleports rebar junker out.

scruffy Eazy says, "It wasn't so much thaat you were killing them but your technique."
genmac says, "i am an h0n357 bu5in355d00d"
scruffy Eazy says, "And your subsequent lack of exploit reports."
genmac says, "d0 u m3an dah 570p -> c0v3r 7ha7 mi170n wa5 c0mp1ainin ab0u7 101"
Alastor punches genmac in the face!

I still can't believe Alastor and Mada broke up :smith:

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

i was doing pretty well but i can't help but be a dick to some kinds of idiots on the internet :(

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

HellMOO will never reach its former glory again. The oldmins hate everything and everyone that made the game good (as evidenced just there by Gilmore not even wanting Arachnotron back) and all the other admins either fell in line with them out of misplaced loyalty or tried to bring the game back and failed because of ~~~~internet drama~~~~.

I probably shouldn't say anything because it'll be a miracle if anything ever happens with it, knowing myself, but I have a local copy of HellCore and am doing A Thing(tm) with it. Not Pressure; that project is long dead. Not another Hell shard; it'd just fail again. Something new. Not going to bring anyone else in on it until I've laid enough of the groundwork that I feel I can trust myself not to wash out and sit around waiting for other people to do work for me, but watch this space.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

HellMOO will never reach its former glory again. The oldmins hate everything and everyone that made the game good (as evidenced just there by Gilmore not even wanting Arachnotron back) and all the other admins either fell in line with them out of misplaced loyalty or tried to bring the game back and failed because of ~~~~internet drama~~~~.

I probably shouldn't say anything because it'll be a miracle if anything ever happens with it, knowing myself, but I have a local copy of HellCore and am doing A Thing(tm) with it. Not Pressure; that project is long dead. Not another Hell shard; it'd just fail again. Something new. Not going to bring anyone else in on it until I've laid enough of the groundwork that I feel I can trust myself not to wash out and sit around waiting for other people to do work for me, but watch this space.

Consider it watched. The concept of Pressure didn't really grab me but I'm always interested in hearing about new ideas in MUD type games.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

hey kennen I will take back all the mean things I said about you (all in jest, mind) if you wanna help me make a Wizard MOO. Our Pal Meks is kinda helping but we just sorta drifted off into the abyss of not caring after setting up a server for it. I thought if I started to actually do MUD stuff again I'd maybe be interested in it and that has kinda helped!

Smarmy Coworker fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 23, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

ARACHNOTRON posted:

hey kennen I will take back all the mean things I said about you (all in jest, mind) if you wanna help me make a Wizard MOO. Our Pal Meks is kinda helping but we just sorta drifted off into the abyss of not caring after setting up a server for it. I thought if I started to actually do MUD stuff again I'd maybe be interested in it and that has kinda helped!

Send me some connection details (kennon1@gmail.com). I'm still trying to decide if my thing is worth doing or not so maybe we can throw ideas at each other and find something we'd both be motivated to work on?

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
it is done. I got some Google Docs I can throw at you tomorrow as well if you'd be available after general working hours.

all I've actually done so far is some cleanup of Jed's bad feature removal so it could go anywhere, really

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Vadun posted:

There's Imrael, Ralech and Ricven at lower levels, and Kerral who is super high level that play regularly. One or two more who probably wont come back, but I'm holding out hope

Are towers in yet? I really want a tower. Aardwolf has clan housing. :/ That's all I really want, a space to make our own.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

ARACHNOTRON posted:

it is done. I got some Google Docs I can throw at you tomorrow as well if you'd be available after general working hours.

Thanks! Guess I'll try to catch you when you're on again. Was going to poke around and maybe clean some stuff up, but you didn't leave me with a progbit! I'm off tomorrow so I'll check back every now and then to see when you show up.

You have a cleaner copy of the core than I have, at least. I'm still running with the horrible leaked one with so much stuff haphazardly chopped out that things like 'say' TB.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Not Pressure; that project is long dead.

I'm actually sort of maybe going to be working on a HTML5 game inspired by Pressure but without some of the baggage some time in the near future.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

OtspIII posted:

I'm actually sort of maybe going to be working on a HTML5 game inspired by Pressure but without some of the baggage some time in the near future.

You have my blessing. I feel guilty about abandoning the thing like three different times, but really despite how excited I was about it at the beginning, the more I think about it, the more I think that that style of game just wouldn't work in the context of a MUD.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

You're a god drat retard and all the code you wrote on hellmoo is worthless and has been disabled! Thanks for naming your variables "blue_team_shit_lol". In any case, good luck with all your future endeavors! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFWb7DG7zTc

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

gently caress the ROW posted:

You're a god drat retard and all the code you wrote on hellmoo is worthless and has been disabled! Thanks for naming your variables "blue_team_shit_lol". In any case, good luck with all your future endeavors!

Not sure what you were trying to accomplish with this post, but thanks, I guess? I don't really give a gently caress, and this sort of pointless drama for the sake of drama is exactly why HellMOO is total poo poo now and forevermore.

It isn't like my awful code wasn't perfectly at home in HellMOO's rat's nest of duct-tape-and-bubblegum coding anyway.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
The DRS pastebin archive has all the good pastes that still exist. A few are broken links (like the condo fight with gorgar aka Mada where he vacated to try and get rid of honest businessdude genmac) but most of them still work.

vayra describes life in DRS to KREW posted:

[ KREW ]: Vayra says, "Cheech runs the place like some sort of private army in a third-world dictatorship."
[ KREW ]: Vayra says, "to even join, besides it being invite-only (and trust me, you can't decline) you have to participate in an initiation orgy"
[ KREW ]: Vayra says, "which of course if you refuse to participate in you get griefed off the game"
[ KREW ]: Vayra says, "and it's not some hellfire club orgy, you have to emote"

\/ I was just playing, sorry

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 24, 2013

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
This slapfight going to continue or what because boy howdy it's entertaining

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

For anyone who was titillated by my allusion to working on something: It looks like my ideas and Arachnotron's ideas mesh fairly well so we are tentatively moving forward with a combined effort.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Yet Another Fantasy MUD
We'll be able to start making content eventually!!

pre:
stow
robot puts away its spellbook.
wield spell in main
robot gets out its spellbook.
wield spell in off
You switch the spellbook to your offhand.
drop spell
robot drops a spellbook on the floor.
cast blorb on spell
robot closes its eyes and focuses its energy...
A magickal lockbox forms around the spellbook, protecting it.
l box

magickal lockbox
A glowing box, securely locked by magickal powers. There's no way to get it open without the person who summoned it, or their permission. 
The magic may fade over time, however... It's closed.
open box
robot focuses its energy at the magickal lockbox...
The magickal lockbox fades away, spilling its contents all over the ground.
get spell
[bugnet] generic creature (#107):_wield (this == robot (#375)), line 3: Type mismatch
[bugnet]   thing = args[1][1];
[bugnet] ... called from generic creature (#107):get_gift (this == robot (#375)), line 13
[bugnet] ... called from generic creature (#107):_get (this == robot (#375)), line 8
[bugnet] ... called from get (#184):_finish, line 24
[bugnet] ... called from generic actor (#92):process_queue (this == robot (#375)), line 91
[bugnet] get (#184) args: {{#469}, #101, {}}
[bugnet] pass_to_finish: {{#469}, #101, {}}
Code is hard, let me tell you.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
How do you learn to navigate a mud without getting lost? I am trying to break things into areas, and then trying to make a mental map of areas in relation to one another, but I still wind up getting terribly lost in a newbie area, and having to resort to a methodical search to find the last homely house. The map breaks apart in my mind and I can't figure out where exactly I am. How do overcome this newb disorientation?

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Some clients have mapping functions. Some MUDs have pre-made maps.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Places I manually navigate often eventually get memorized, but I usually abuse the poo poo out of pathfind functions.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I've always wanted to mess around with making my own MUD, so I've got to ask: what's a decent codebase I can work with using C or python (I'd prefer C)

Edit: Whoops, apparently already asked this question a while ago, sorry!

Highblood fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 28, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

e:nm

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Ouch. I just learned the hard way that t2tmud has a 20% of TOTAL xp death penalty. Is this overly harsh? Does anyone know much about this mud? I am only playing it because it was the first mud I discovered back in 1998. I never seriously got into it, but this time around I have learned how improve skills and level, as well as how to get gold as a newb. I am not a fan of the loosing all your stuff on log out, or the death penalty. Other than that though, who all regularly shows about 30-40 people online, which seems like a good population in this day and age. The newb helpers have been helpful as well.

Is there a mud with a goon presence? Goons make everything more enjoyable. Barring that, is there a mud with persistent inventory, decent population, and a more reasonable (to me) death penalty?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

keyvin posted:

Ouch. I just learned the hard way that t2tmud has a 20% of TOTAL xp death penalty. Is this overly harsh? Does anyone know much about this mud? I am only playing it because it was the first mud I discovered back in 1998. I never seriously got into it, but this time around I have learned how improve skills and level, as well as how to get gold as a newb. I am not a fan of the loosing all your stuff on log out, or the death penalty. Other than that though, who all regularly shows about 30-40 people online, which seems like a good population in this day and age. The newb helpers have been helpful as well.

Is there a mud with a goon presence? Goons make everything more enjoyable. Barring that, is there a mud with persistent inventory, decent population, and a more reasonable (to me) death penalty?

Pretty much every MUD has a kinder death penalty and persistent inventory. It's the inventory thing that really boggles... Some old-school grognard type games make you quit at an inn or lose your items, but who thought "Yes, reseting the player to naked uselessness at every login will surely improve the experience"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Pham Nuwen posted:

Pretty much every MUD has a kinder death penalty and persistent inventory. It's the inventory thing that really boggles... Some old-school grognard type games make you quit at an inn or lose your items, but who thought "Yes, reseting the player to naked uselessness at every login will surely improve the experience"?

It doesn't even make sense from a role play perspective. "Lo, I have been aroused from my repose and all my belongings hath vanished. Cans't thou sparest thine coin?"

• Locked thread