Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
After upgrading, the bubbles in Messages are different colors. I'm seeing the normal white, green (same as my outgoing messages), blue (but not iMessage), and pink(!). Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Attached is a pixelated screenshot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
In 10.9, Messages defaults to Automatic for message formatting. Change it in Messages Preferences > Viewing tab.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

hotsauce posted:

18gigs incoming (updating three Macbooks). 1.5 hrs on each...

You know you can just download it on one machine and then copy the installer over to the others, right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hotsauce posted:

18gigs incoming (updating three Macbooks). 1.5 hrs on each...
Just download on one system and make USB installation media for the others.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

echobucket posted:

:argh:
Actually since I'm not going to be buying a new mac, this means I'm going to end up buying them all for $19.99 a piece. Unless they push a software update for the pre-app store versions, but I'm not betting on it.

Well, I suddenly have 3 mysterious updates in the App Store that aren't actually showing up in the updates list yet so maybe...

Alternatively I guess I could just move everything to THE CLOUD and do all my editing online?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Joe Don Baker posted:

Heads up. Looks like the OS X and iOS versions of iLife/iWork are starting to get pushed out.

Yep, I'm updating to iPhoto v.9.5 and iMovie 10.0 right this second. No charges.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 22, 2013

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

wolffenstein posted:

In 10.9, Messages defaults to Automatic for message formatting. Change it in Messages Preferences > Viewing tab.

Thanks. What does that even mean? Is that some holdover from the ICQ days when people could format their outgoing messages?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So in Mavericks I went to the App Store and it updated Garageband, but iMovie claims it wants 14.99 despite my owning it and giving me a warning when I try to buy it that version 9.09 is installed but was not downloaded from the app store. Weird.

And my current iPhoto just claims to not work with this version of OSX (and the App Store wants me to buy that too). (which I did.)

But I'm waiting to see if the iMovie thing will rectify itself. Checking for updates in the iMovie app says I'm current at 9.09

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just download on one system and make USB installation media for the others.

Nah, want to make Comcast and my new Timecapsule sing. :v:

Edit: oddly enough, my MBA connected to the router as 802.11ac is going much slower than my other Macbooks (connected via N). I know, I know, ac only gives you faster on network peer speeds, but the general population thinks N is better so AC must mean way faster internet!

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 22, 2013

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
drat you Mavericks for deleting yourself after the install!! I have 2 more Macs I need to update!!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Go to the App Store, search for Mavericks, click on download when it finds it. You'll get another installer. Quit out of it and copy it somewhere.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also, Apple Remote Desktop Admin v.3.7.0 just dropped into Software Update.

All my logins and passwords disappeared! Good thing I had them all written down..

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I guess those of us that have iWork from the old DVD are SOL on the new iWork. At the least previous version works with iCloud and there's always the web version.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Joe Don Baker posted:

At the least previous version works with iCloud and there's always the web version.

iWork 09 can store files in iCloud, but the web version of iWork and iWork 09 are incompatible with each other.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The new side dock texture is pretty meh. I know it was always kind of odd to go from glass on bottom to dark translucent on the side, but I got pretty drat used to it over the last few years that it is like weirdly bugging me out of the corner of my vision.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cross-posting between both threads, but god drat Mavericks :monocle:

It's really great to see improvements even on ancient hardware. Source.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Alright, how do I get rid of this piece of poo poo 3D dock and go back to 2D?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a meaning to the display that gets the menu bar in the display settings any more, or is this bit of UI redundant now?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

I've got a bit of an odd issue -- running a mid 2011 mac mini w/ the radeon running dual 20" samsung monitors via a KVM. When I upgraded to mavericks I started getting strange flickering effects on the left monitor -- basically it looks like the screen sometimes pull itself halfway to the right.

Monitors were working generally fine on Mountain Lion, and are working just fine on this here PC through the same KVM. I've also got a similar mac mini and kvm on my desk at the office and I don't have any issues there.

Any idea what is going on and how I can fix it from the software side?

PS: one perhaps important detail -- flickering is only on the left monitor. It gets markedly worse when I have something in focus on that screen. If I have something in focus on the right monitor all is well with the world and the flickering stops. Also going to mirrored takes care if it on both monitors.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I just installed Mavericks and I now have 27gb's of HDD space I didn't have before. I don't know if I should be worried or stoked.

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

Caged posted:

Is there a meaning to the display that gets the menu bar in the display settings any more, or is this bit of UI redundant now?

It's still the "primary display", which, at least, controls which display will show slides and which the presenter screen in Keynote.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

So I just got my new iMac delivered less than a week ago. How can I contact Apple to see if I can get grandfathnered into this "iWork free on new Macs" thing they announced today?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Turnquiet posted:

So I just got my new iMac delivered less than a week ago. How can I contact Apple to see if I can get grandfathnered into this "iWork free on new Macs" thing they announced today?

What date was it ordered? The free poo poo is for Macs purchased on or after 10/1.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

echobucket posted:

:argh:
Actually since I'm not going to be buying a new mac, this means I'm going to end up buying them all for $19.99 a piece. Unless they push a software update for the pre-app store versions, but I'm not betting on it.

Someone I know called into AppleCare and asked about the DVD version of iWork getting the update. Support told them that it's coming and will be available as a software update through MAS at some point. I'm in your boat and am not holding my breath, but I guess we'll wait and see.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Probably going to bite the bullet and upgrade tonight. So far, it's been smooth for everyone so far, no? Either way it being free is awesome and is finally giving me an incentive to have all my macs on the same level.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Upgraded straight from Lion, went perfectly.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Joe Don Baker posted:

What date was it ordered? The free poo poo is for Macs purchased on or after 10/1.

October 6. Curious as iWork still shows a cost per app in the App Store. I guess my original question of who do I complain to stands.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

October 6. Curious as iWork still shows a cost per app in the App Store. I guess my original question of who do I complain to stands.

Bought mine Oct 18 so I'm interested as well. Googling isn't helping. I know they always have a "up to date" program and such for recent purchasers, not sure if they will have one for iWork. It's obvious they want this software on everyone's Mac, so I'd guess they will have something in order for within 30 days ago purchasers...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Phone the support line for their online store. If they aren't the people to speak to then they will know who to talk to.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
I'm really impressed with Mavericks. Apple donged Windows 8.1 in every way, including pricing, which the Internet would have us believe is never on Apple's side.

I do wish Apple would do more in the media playing arena besides saying "download iTunes", though. I find myself gravitating to VLC, which is pretty decent as of 2.1, but the UI is just… so awful. I really wish MPC-HC had an OS X port.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Terpfen posted:

I'm really impressed with Mavericks. Apple donged Windows 8.1 in every way, including pricing, which the Internet would have us believe is never on Apple's side.

I do wish Apple would do more in the media playing arena besides saying "download iTunes", though. I find myself gravitating to VLC, which is pretty decent as of 2.1, but the UI is just… so awful. I really wish MPC-HC had an OS X port.

You look at mplayerx?

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

bulbous nub posted:

Someone I know called into AppleCare and asked about the DVD version of iWork getting the update. Support told them that it's coming and will be available as a software update through MAS at some point. I'm in your boat and am not holding my breath, but I guess we'll wait and see.

My wife and I both have the DVD version on our Macs. She is being offered an update and I'm not, so maybe it's just not rolled out to everyone yet

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CRAYON posted:

I'm using the first Mavericks GM and I'm trying to update to the release version but my updates page is blank.

Any idea why this is happening? Is there a way to clear the app store cache?

Try:

sudo softwareupdate --install --all

from a terminal

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have Movist installed for playing stuff. Any music that I want to keep ends up in iTunes, so I can't speak for alternative audio players.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Try:

from a terminal

I'm trying the terminal command now because this is happening with the App Store proper.

Maybe their systems are undergoing a little strain now that everyone's getting home and running the updates.

edit: Success. Definitely try this if the App Store is behaving weirdly for you.

brap fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 23, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My App Store says there are 3 updates in the icon, but doesn't show any in updates. It's downloading via the terminal command...

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm downloading Mavericks now, and just so's I know,

Is Mavericks still a boner about partitions? Am I going to have to delete and recreate my Windows partition like I do every year?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sockser posted:

Is Mavericks still a boner
Are boners good or bad?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

cstine posted:

You look at mplayerx?

I dropped it after a long period where they didn't update and the plugins became version stagnant. Is it better now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Try:

from a terminal

AT&T DSL is so loving slow

$ sudo softwareupdate --install --all
Password:
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2012 Apple Inc.

Finding available software

Downloading MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update
Downloading MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update
Downloading Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update
Downloaded MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update
Downloading iTunes
Downloaded MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update
Downloaded iTunes
Downloaded Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update
Installing MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update, iTunes, MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update, Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update
Done with iTunes
Done with Mavericks Developer Preview Recovery Update
Done with MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update
Done with MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update
Done.

You have installed one or more updates that requires that you restart your
computer. Please restart immediately.

Be right back!