Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Singh Long posted:

I seem to recall NCS making a brief impromptu cameo in an Retsutalk with ProtonJon.

Him and chugga both. We got to briefly meet them at PAX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I don't really like his stuff, but NCS seems like a chill guy and his stuff with the Runaway Guys is generally pretty decent.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I only know NCS as the reluctant dude who half-heartedly trolled the entire Mario Party LP by acting more or less at random.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Speaking of Chugga, I never know what to make of him. He seems like a cool dude and doesn't have most of the problems most Youtube LPers have. I watched both of his Pikmin LPs, which means I can at least tolerate him, but he has so many quirks that are kind of annoying to me.

He also reads text in funny voices, but that's not really my main problem. I don't know I feel like I want to watch more of his stuff, but I can't really marathon him. I really need to just watch small doses. I think some of his quirks would work better if I were sitting on a couch with him, but watching him monologue to the internet they feel kind of silly/overly-manic sometimes.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

your evil twin posted:

My first LP was Wolfenstein 2009, in which everyone agreed that my LP had gone from "good" to "amazing" in the 6th video when I got the Particle Cannon and proceeded to spend five minutes vaporizing Nazis while laughing maniacally. I was complimented for being one few people able to pull off a genuine maniacal laugh.

Thankfully I've found the quiet chuckles I naturally make when incinerating or exploding enemies are enough to satisfy the expected sadism quota.

The only LP of yours I've watched is Inversion, and FWIW, when you started doing the maniacal laughing, I didn't like it. I even hated the quiet chuckles, actually. It made me think of being a fly in the hoodie of a guy who sits in the bushes and jacks off to people who are jogging through the park or something. Maybe I just wasn't in on the meme, because I hadn't seen Wolfenstein 2009, but it went sour for me, personally, immediately.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

A post about NCS

I like NCS. Now, I do not like most of his videos, but I think he's got the right attitude. He's just this guy who plays some video games and puts up video of it. There's no put-upon accent or facecam or other kinds of attempts to appeal to the audience (although he does like to indulge in inside jokes, lots of them, repeatedly). Sometimes all of this combines with the game he's playing into an enjoyable video and I watch it. For example I liked most of his Pokemon LP (yes, yes, a VLP of pokemon) for the novelty of him not knowing dick about it, so even moments that would have been pretty dull otherwise, like streches of random encounters, stayed fresh.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

VivaVizer posted:

Are there some other crazy voices out there that I should experience at least once?

If you haven't watched the Retsupurae video of some dude LPing Pokemon...White, I think?...where he not only reads the dialogue out loud in funny voices but actually makes up a bunch of dialogue between the female protagonist and himself as a self-insert character then you are missing out, my friend.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'll cool with chuggaconroy. I've watched a few of his LPs (I can remember Super Paper Mario; but I probably watched a few others), and it was good enough - I've seen better, but the guy puts more effort in than 99.9% of youtube and it shows in his stuff - I can understand why people would watch his stuff and enjoy it; which I can't for most youtube people. Plus the way that he handled the nintendo thing earlier this year was classy ("Even if they start doing this to all my videos; I don't really care - I do this for the fun of it!"), especially since I believe that he's one of the people that earn their living off of LP, or at least earns a significant sum that he'd miss if it was cut off.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Kai Tave posted:

If you haven't watched the Retsupurae video of some dude LPing Pokemon...White, I think?...where he not only reads the dialogue out loud in funny voices but actually makes up a bunch of dialogue between the female protagonist and himself as a self-insert character then you are missing out, my friend.

Oh... my...

Did they ever figure out whether he kidnapped a girl or not? Because I didn't really make it through that first super creepy interaction. It was that cringe-worthy for me.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I STILL can't make it through that one. It's even worse than Chip's/Ironicus' RP of the guy who made his own anime girl.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

VivaVizer posted:

Oh... my...

Did they ever figure out whether he kidnapped a girl or not? Because I didn't really make it through that first super creepy interaction. It was that cringe-worthy for me.

If you saw the video they did of his Fire Emblem romhack to cap off Retsublitz, dude has a thing for inserting himself into games and having relationships with the girls in the game, so I think I know where the White playthrough went in terms of story.

Edit: Also, dude said his White LP was a blind run, but come the gently caress on. He had a plot and video editing. Come the gently caress on.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I stopped when he started talking about the young girl's clothing being too short. Christ. :doh:

I had a non-lovely lp to share of ogre battle 64, but it's been pushed into archives where the images all broke. The links still work, just it doesn't show in that format. Let's Battle Ogres or something like that.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

VivaVizer posted:

Oh... my...

I admit, I didn't watch the video, but the very concept is just... :gonk: Can I get off this ride now? I think I've had my fill, thanks.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

VivaVizer posted:

That was him putting on the voice. He solicited "talent" for later episodes, but I don't know if anyone took him up for it.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
I almost want to be impressed by his commitment to such a terrible idea. But only almost.

Waffleman_ posted:

If you saw the video they did of his Fire Emblem romhack to cap off Retsublitz, dude has a thing for inserting himself into games and having relationships with the girls in the game, so I think I know where the White playthrough went in terms of story.

Well, I guess he at least sticks to his theme.

I dunno, I don't really want to bag on him too much but someone writing themselves into these game to be romantic with the girls is kind of amazing in the worst way.

He obviously put a lot of effort into it but just goddamn.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I have a soft spot for people who get RP'ed but kinda roll with it. MageKnight bought a forums account after the RP and posted in Games about it. It boiled down to "yeah, I was a dumb teenager..." or whatever.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Thanks to the internet, everyone's dumb teenage moments will be preserves for the vicarious amusement of future generations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The thing about MageKnight is that it's kind of :psyduck: how much technical talent and effort he put into all that stuff. He could be making amazing things, but then he makes... that. I really hope he finds some way to channel all that talent into something kickass in the future.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh it gets better. After his FE7 hack, he went on to make an FE8 hack where his self-insert now has a family that you play as, and it is the wordiest garbage I think I've ever played. A couple friends and I streamed it at one point, and it literally took 20 minutes to get through all the tutorial and prologue text. After playing for about two minutes, we had the pleasure of 30 more minutes of text before Chapter 1 proper started, violating every possible instance of "Show, don't Tell" that he possibly could (checking scripts, the shortest chapter in the hack that we knew of was 3000 words). When he was called on this abomination, this was his response:

MageKnight404 posted:

Alright, if you really want to know... This is gonna be long.

Let's get two things clear - first, I'm no writer. I'm not good at it and I never will be; drawing is more my thing and I'm not even very good at that. Second, though I am by no means a skilled writer I am aware of a number of literary tropes that are frowned upon and self-insert fanfiction in any sort of halfway serious community is universally reveled, for good reason - they simply don't work and are just plain silly. That said...

There are two reasons as to why A Sacred Dawn DX is what it is and the whole self-inserting/crossover deal: choosing it to leave it as is because I can't fix it, and choosing it to leave it because I don't want to fix it. No guesses as to which is the stronger reason.

The main thing about being unable to change it isn't much(and has absolutely nothing to do with the self-insert deal, just the storytelling), generally because FE8 is far, far less user-friendly to hack than FE7 is, but I chose it anyway because I want to prove to the community that I can make a halfway good FE8 ROM hack and make it presentable. That said, there's much less flexibilty in doing stuff in FE8 than in FE7 so I try to compensate with a number of things. Not much of a reason I guess, but the other one's a bit different.

In regards to refusing to change the way the story is presented is kinda personal. Back when I did FE404 I had a lot of fun doing it, but now I'm just plain embarrassed by it for a number of reasons(the whole self-insertion and wish fulfillment thing being one of them), same with my first attempt at A Sacred Dawn, when it was still a crossover, a direct sequel to FE404, and not as serious as DX. Still, they have a strong resonance with me, and when I decided to restart the project, I thought to myself that I just wanted to not only try the whole premise again with a bunch of liberties taken, but try and do the whole thing right. Yes, a story featuring a self-inserted character who has a family and is a strong fighter is never gonna work seriously and be impossible to get right on even a good level, the storytelling not helping matters either, but I don't really care about that.

Make no mistake - I could easily take out the crossover bits, change Raymond to be a whole different character, and alter the last names of his children. Bam, done. Heck, way before working on FE404, I had an idea of a FE story with a bunch of original characters and no crossovers - just my self-insert character and Julie and Josh as his family. Even back when I first thought up of those two characters(which was a decade ago) I had thought of them as if I were to have kids when I was a silly 13-year-old dork. I could've made the changes but I didn't. I could change them now, but even if I did, the damage is already done. Changing Raymond's appearance and family name wouldn't rid the fact that he'd be a self-insert now; everyone would just go "oh, that character was modeled after the author in the previous version, right? What a loser." So I decided to just leave things as they are in regards to my character and just build around it. I've already gotten some ire from folks about this sort of thing, but at this point I'm not inclined to care and just keep going hoping I can make some good anyway.

In regards to the storytelling, as stated earlier, I'm no writer. In fact, aside from my best friend doing the skeletal work of the ROM hack and the beginning backstory, this is a one-man job. I don't have a lot of help so I just try and do everything myself. As far as writing is concerned, I thought to try something different with a Fire Emblem game and make it less about the world and overarching plot and more about the characters in it, as (mostly)experienced through the eyes of one character. I am a huge supporter of games with a diverse playable cast; it's one of the big reasons why I like FE so much. The older games don't really have a lot of characterization for 90% of the cast(they're lucky if they even get lines), but the latter covers it well enough considering the story through use of supports(Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon notwithstanding). Here I thought to try and give the little people more to do and say as the plot moves with them, but I admit the way it's done so far is really poor. There's a lot of talking and expository scenes regarding the character introductions and as it stands the talking segments is a bit like Super Robot Taisen but with less showing and more telling. Granted I am a big fan of how some SRT games handle its scenes with its massive cast, but no such luck here.

I've put videos of my ROM hack up on YouTube and several people rightly chastised me for all of the long-winded dialogue. I gave my reasons a few times, but as it is right now, it's still not that great. I've had a few people offer some writing help, but I've turned them down, mostly to see if I can keep at it on my own, but also partly for another reason - in real life I have abysmal self-esteem, am extremely lazy, and I absolutely hate to impose on anyone, which is another reason why I'm one man job. I really want to be able to make something mostly by myself and have it be good, but at this rate, I wonder if I'll ever get anywhere on my own. That first patch might be the only one I make knowing me.

In short, I'm just really stubborn at trying to make something good on my own. :colbert:

So yeah. Hold on to that hope.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

And then I asked him, point-blank, if what he was saying was "I know I'm awful, but I won't stop or ask for help out of sheer bloody-mindedness". And he said, simply, Yes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The guy has a lot of talent, it's just where he channeled that talent...

That said, that Pokemon LP is still one of my favorite retsupuraes just because of how weird it is and how much effort went into it. I think he's got great potential to make some great stuff, and at least he seems to have some self-awareness. I'm hoping he'll move on to better and less-creepy things as I can't help but admire what he's accomplished, as hosed up as a lot of it is.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Narrative text LP's are already frequently done here on SA, so I don't think it would be... impossible... to make a good narrative video LP.
It speaks well of his voice acting ability that it took Slowbeef and Diabetus a while to figure out that Hilda was being voiced by him, I guess. And you have to commend him for his ability to make up most of this dialogue on the spot, as cringe-inducing as said dialogue was. (At least I think it was made up on the spot? There were a few points in the video where he definitely seemed to not know what was going to happen next.)

I wonder if he's done anything more recently. I'm kind of interested to see what he would put out now that no longer a dumb, horny teenager.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Slowbeef posted:

That was him putting on the voice. He solicited "talent" for later episodes, but I don't know if anyone took him up for it.

Imagine that IMDB credit.

LP of Final Fantasy VII by MageKnight404

Cast (in order of appearance)

Cloud................xX420DarkAssassinXx

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

dijon du jour posted:

Narrative text LP's are already frequently done here on SA, so I don't think it would be... impossible... to make a good narrative video LP.
It speaks well of his voice acting ability that it took Slowbeef and Diabetus a while to figure out that Hilda was being voiced by him, I guess. And you have to commend him for his ability to make up most of this dialogue on the spot, as cringe-inducing as said dialogue was. (At least I think it was made up on the spot? There were a few points in the video where he definitely seemed to not know what was going to happen next.)

I wonder if he's done anything more recently. I'm kind of interested to see what he would put out now that no longer a dumb, horny teenager.

I think Freeman's Mind might qualify as a good narrative video Let's Play of Half-Life. Though admittedly the line between "narrative video LP" and "Machinima" gets rather thin.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

dijon du jour posted:

As Trin Tragula proved to us, narrative video LPs are dangerous waters.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Seshoho Cian posted:

As Trin Tragula proved to us, narrative video LPs are dangerous waters.

Care to explain? I looked up Trin Tragula and all I can find on the LP archive are a screenshot Lp and some broken links and some sonic videos that sound like he's recording from inside an electric generator. I'm always up for some trainwreck-watching.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

dijon du jour posted:

Care to explain? I looked up Trin Tragula and all I can find on the LP archive are a screenshot Lp and some broken links and some sonic videos that sound like he's recording from inside an electric generator. I'm always up for some trainwreck-watching.
I think he was the one who did an Echo the Dolphin LP from the narrative standpoint of a dolphin.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

dijon du jour posted:

IIRC, he made an LP of Ecco the Dolphin where he pretended he was the dolphin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZW-WOzY6Lk

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SpiritualDeath posted:

IIRC, he made an LP of Ecco the Dolphin where he pretended he was the dolphin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZW-WOzY6Lk

I thought that was a one-off done as a joke.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I thought that was a one-off done as a joke.
After finding and reading through the thread, nope, it was all done that way.

Quotes for those without archives (the video links in the original posts are all dead):

Trin Tragula posted:

BEFORE HE ACTIVATED THE ATLANTEAN TIME MACHINE, ECCO THE DOLPHIN ALLOWED ME TO ENTER HIS MIND AND MAKE A RECORD OF HIS LIFE FROM THE DAY HE WAS FIRST FORCED TO LEAVE HOME BAY. WHEN I FIRST MET HIM, HE WAS JUST ANOTHER SCARED, IMMATURE LITTLE DOLPHIN WHO WANTED NOTHING MORE THAN TO GO HOME AND PLAY. HE WAS FORCED TO GROW UP QUICKLY AND THE FEATS HE ACHIEVED FIGHTING THE ENEMIES OF EARTH ARE NOTHING SHORT OF MIRACULOUS. IT IS MY WISH THAT HIS STORY NOT BE FORGOTTEN. IT DESERVES TO BE TOLD ON LAND AND SUNG IN THE OCEANS WHILE LIFE ENDURES. HE IS MY FRIEND: I, AND EVERY OTHER FORM OF LIFE ON THIS PLANET, OWE MY CONTINUED EXISTENCE TO HIM. HIS FINAL DECISION WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY REMAIN A MYSTERY FOREVER, BUT HOPEFULLY THIS RECORD WILL BE ABLE TO SHED LIGHT ON THE MANY OTHER DECISIONS HE MADE WHILE FIGHTING ON BEHALF OF THIS PLANET. I HOPE ONLY THAT WHOEVER FINDS THIS RECORD IN THE FUTURE SHOULD GAIN A GREATER UNDERSTANDING OF THE PAST FROM IT.

-THE ASTERITE

quote:

Interesting take on the VLP! Being in character is fine, but I think it would be better if catching your breath and pain exclamations were toned down a bit.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The reason narrative VLPs are dangerous is because you have to be a decent writer and a competent voice actor. The former is rare, but doable, the latter is almost nonexistent. The intersection of those two sets is small on its own, and filtering it down to only people who would be interested in doing a VLP in the first place gives you like 20 people in the history of forever.

e: With good enough writing and awareness of your limits, you can kind of work around the "competent voice actor" part. I think that's why the few that work are about complete sociopaths, because then they don't really have to have much of a range beyond "crazy" and "angry."

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 23, 2013

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I thought the stuff TheVoiceOfDog did with The Path was cool, but that got abandoned because he ran out of ideas.

Aside from that, I haven't seen any good narrative VLPs, and there's probably a good reason for that.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Jsor posted:

I think Freeman's Mind might qualify as a good narrative video Let's Play of Half-Life. Though admittedly the line between "narrative video LP" and "Machinima" gets rather thin.

This is definitely more on the side of Machinima - he flat out cheats pretty often for the purpose of his story and for jokes, which is probably a good thing, because this is probably the only Machinima I find where the early episodes still stand up to scratch. Every now and then I will watch something I used to like and think "God, what sort of retard was I to like this?", but this doesn't seem to do that. Hell, I would say that the newer episodes are not quite as good as the old ones. As someone who has been half following this since episode two, from what feels like an era ago, the guy seems to be getting a bit worse at it. The last few episodes just did not have the same charm as the earlier ones - or maybe the game is just getting too repetitive at this point for him to make fresher material.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 23, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm now wondering if this video ever came to Slowbeef's attention. Or this one.

So weird to see Retsupurae best of videos.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Another Person posted:

This is definitely more on the side of Machinima - he flat out cheats pretty often for the purpose of his story and for jokes, which is probably a good thing, because this is probably the only Machinima I find where the early episodes still stand up to scratch. Every now and then I will watch something I used to like and think "God, what sort of retard was I to like this?", but this doesn't seem to do that. Hell, I would say that the newer episodes are not quite as good as the old ones. As someone who has been half following this since episode two, from what feels like an era ago, the guy seems to be getting a bit worse at it. The last few episodes just did not have the same charm as the earlier ones - or maybe the game is just getting too repetitive at this point for him to make fresher material.

Well, good Let's Plays also do editing to keep it not boring. The line between "narrative VLP" and "machinima" are so thin because you basically have to cut things or cheat to keep it interesting in some games. I think for Freeman's Mind it's a distinction without a difference, but maybe that's just me.

e:
vvvvv FWIW, I don't think Ross Scott (the creator of Freeman's Mind) considers FM real Machinima. His actual Machinima is stuff that uses assets from games (mostly HL2) and FM is more of a side project. I'd agree that playing through the game and making jokes, even in character is more LP-ish, but the line is definitely more blurry here.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 23, 2013

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I think of narrative LP as, at most, recontextualizing the story framework the game gives you. The stuff RedChocobo does with Pokemon, for instance.

I think of machinima as a totally new story using the game as, essentially, art assets. The Secret of Animal Crossing, for instance.

The gap closes when the game really doesn't give you a narrative at all. What are the Dwarf Fortress LPs? Hm.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I've seen it a couple of times in the sandcastle, but are there examples of LPers who got popular (to some degree) on YouTube then came here, received criticism and actually took it onboard to improve their LPs, instead of just saying "gently caress those guys"?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sorites posted:

I only know NCS as the reluctant dude who half-heartedly trolled the entire Mario Party LP by acting more or less at random.

I'm not much on chugga or NCS normally by themselves, but I do really like the Runaway Guys as a team. Jon keeps them classy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/user/tehpauleh?feature=watch

I'd like to recommend this fellow to anybody who kinda just wants to see a relatively intelligent person play a game they are interested in.

He doesn't seem to do silly gimmicks very much, he generally cuts stuff out between episodes and within episodes in the case of things like minecraft, he doesn't do scarecams, he doesn't yell, and he is not staggeringly awful at the games he plays.

If I have a complaint it's honestly that he's sometimes a little boring, but if you want to see a game played, he plays games. I can appreciate that, honestly, as it's remarkably hard to find someone who is comprehensible, competent, and plays a wide variety of newish releases.

He's probably the most game-oriented LPer I've seen, because there's almost no personality there, just games. It's a little odd but also rather nice when that's exactly what you want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

frozentreasure posted:

I've seen it a couple of times in the sandcastle, but are there examples of LPers who got popular (to some degree) on YouTube then came here, received criticism and actually took it onboard to improve their LPs, instead of just saying "gently caress those guys"?

Aside from the two people I am thinking of, not really. Actually, one of the MindCrack podcasts featured a segment where the guys on that podcast voiced their displeasure with the LP Subforum rules/Slowbeef when someone sent them the rules here like Slowbeef had set those as rules for LPs across the internet. "Know the game" and "Don't play on release day" are sort of direct attacks on those guys' incomes, so I don't know what other reactions they would generate.

That said, every few weeks someone tries to do a YouTube style LP here and get laughed at or told to redo it and come back. Those usually create some hilarious entitlement posts ("I just thought you guys would like a GOOD LP for once!").

• Locked thread