Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

pokeyman posted:

I've seen a few go the other way but that's the first one going this way. Love it!

(Sorry Awful.apkailires.)

Clicking on the link in your quoted post hung the app. When I hit the home button and opened the app again, I got the loading screen with the gray thread tag background and then it dumped me into the linked thread. This happens a lot when clicking on links in quoted posts for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
I too can confirm that there's no loading indicator (but not a real hang, just like, nothing happens) for about 5 seconds when you click a link to a different SA post from the app. IOS 7.02 latest app version iPhone 4S

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

cornface posted:

Clicking on the link in your quoted post hung the app. When I hit the home button and opened the app again, I got the loading screen with the gray thread tag background and then it dumped me into the linked thread. This happens a lot when clicking on links in quoted posts for some reason.

How long did you wait before pressing the home button? Had you already read the linked post in the app?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I also experienced the brief hang (iOS 6.1.2, latest Awful from the App Store, jailbroken iPad.)

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

I had ~1 second hang before the spinner popped up. 5S on 7.0.2. I hadn't seen that post prior.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

pokeyman posted:

How long did you wait before pressing the home button? Had you already read the linked post in the app?

I just tried it a few more times. It looks like around 30-45 seconds it will finally open the linked thread, but up until that point everything is completely frozen.

I guess I was too impatient and just assumed it had crashed. Having clicked on the link before doesn't seem to make a difference in how long it takes to unfreeze and load the linked thread.

edit: iPhone 4s, jailbroken (6.1.2 I think).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

cornface posted:

I just tried it a few more times. It looks like around 30-45 seconds it will finally open the linked thread, but up until that point everything is completely frozen.

I guess I was too impatient and just assumed it had crashed. Having clicked on the link before doesn't seem to make a difference in how long it takes to unfreeze and load the linked thread.

edit: iPhone 4s, jailbroken (6.1.2 I think).

Totally understandable that you assumed the worst from a 30 second hang! I just wanted to make sure we're all talking about the same bug.

Thanks for the widespread confirmation everyone, I'll take a good look at it.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

pokeyman posted:

Totally understandable that you assumed the worst from a 30 second hang! I just wanted to make sure we're all talking about the same bug.

Thanks for the widespread confirmation everyone, I'll take a good look at it.

This probably isn't useful, but it happens to me when clicking on something from a rap sheet, as well. Clicking on a link to just a thread rather than to a specific post seems to work fine, though. Like the link to the new thread at the end of the closed space megathread opens immediately

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

cornface posted:

This probably isn't useful, but it happens to me when clicking on something from a rap sheet, as well. Clicking on a link to just a thread rather than to a specific post seems to work fine, though. Like the link to the new thread at the end of the closed space megathread opens immediately

That actually makes sense, believe it or not. Internally, Awful handles links to things (posts, threads, forums) by translating them into awful:// URLs. So it's the same underlying mechanism which is currently broken.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

pokeyman posted:

That actually makes sense, believe it or not. Internally, Awful handles links to things (posts, threads, forums) by translating them into awful:// URLs. So it's the same underlying mechanism which is currently broken.

I believe it. I've been writing software for a living for the last 15 years so I figured more feedback is better than less, even if it seems useless. Sounds like you know what the problem is, though.

You (and whoever else has been working on it) have done a really great job on this app. It's rare to find a "mobile version" of something that is more enjoyable to use than the actual website, but this is the superior posting experience.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

cornface posted:

It's rare to find a "mobile version" of something that is more enjoyable to use than the actual website, but this is the superior posting experience.

That's nice to hear! To be honest, as much as I enjoy working on Awful, the ideal endgame is that an improved website makes Awful completely pointless. It's kinda weird working on an app that I'd prefer didn't exist, but here we are.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pokeyman posted:

That's nice to hear! To be honest, as much as I enjoy working on Awful, the ideal endgame is that an improved website makes Awful completely pointless. It's kinda weird working on an app that I'd prefer didn't exist, but here we are.

It's entirely the same as modding in attitude, I think. These are things you want as features, and you'd rather not have to add them yourself, but you have the means to do so and nobody else will.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Landscape only problem, iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1, latest Awful.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Doesn't happen on mine 4s, 6.Whatever-the-most-recent-jailbroken-one-is.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A bit of multitasking weirdness. Seems to only happen if you switch to another app and then switch back.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 21, 2013

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I get the same thing. It seems like on my 4S the switcher is trying to stretch out the screen as if it needs to fit the 4S content into enough real estate for a 5S's screen. :shrug: it's a weird stretched aspect ratio but it doesn't seem to break the app or Switcher

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Seeing the same thing on my 5s, 7.0.2.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If it's the last app you went to its fine. The second you go to another app and back to the app switcher its appearing like that.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

smackfu posted:

A bit of multitasking weirdness. Seems to only happen if you switch to another app and then switch back.

If you're not aware, Awful will upload to imgur for you.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Weird bug on my iPad 3 running the latest iOS7 version. When in landscape mode, if I tap the three dots to bring up the menu for User Profile, Quote, Rap Sheet, etc, the little menu pops up for like half a second and then disappears. I have to repeat this like 7-10 times before the menu will stay up. Works fine in portrait mode, this only happens in Landscape mode.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Weird bug on my iPad 3 running the latest iOS7 version. When in landscape mode, if I tap the three dots to bring up the menu for User Profile, Quote, Rap Sheet, etc, the little menu pops up for like half a second and then disappears. I have to repeat this like 7-10 times before the menu will stay up. Works fine in portrait mode, this only happens in Landscape mode.

I'd noticed this before too, but never the portrait/landscape connection. Very strange. Thanks!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Another strange bug: The first thread after pulling up the app this morning couldn't be scrolled through. I could pull up the bookmarks bar and tap the ... button on posts but I couldn't scroll. Then I found I could scroll if I used two fingers.

Closing the app in the app switcher and reloading fixed it. iPad 3 running iOS7.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

1997 posted:

If you're not aware, Awful will upload to imgur for you.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if a Retina size screenshot would screw things up, so I uploaded it manually then used the large thumbnail. I didn't really need the full resolution version which I assumed Awful would put in.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

IMG uploading via Paste doesn't work. At all. It just crashes the app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if a Retina size screenshot would screw things up, so I uploaded it manually then used the large thumbnail. I didn't really need the full resolution version which I assumed Awful would put in.

They won't screw anything up. It will upload the full-size image, but post it with timg tags.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

death .cab for qt posted:

IMG uploading via Paste doesn't work. At all. It just crashes the app.

Sorry, what's causing the crash?

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
My starred forums keep disappearing with the latest version of the App. It's happened twice now on my 3rd generation iPad. I'm running ios 7.0.2

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

in_cahoots posted:

My starred forums keep disappearing with the latest version of the App. It's happened twice now on my 3rd generation iPad. I'm running ios 7.0.2

That's a new one to me. You can simply re-star them and everything seems to work as usual? (Until they disappear again, of course.)

They should disappear if you log out, but otherwise that's a lovely bug.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

pokeyman posted:

That's a new one to me. You can simply re-star them and everything seems to work as usual? (Until they disappear again, of course.)

They should disappear if you log out, but otherwise that's a lovely bug.

Yup, everything works for a bit. Between my last posting and this one I lost them again, and I didn't use the iPad much in the meantime. I tried sleeping the iPad, restarting it, and killing the app to reproduce the bug, but the favorites are still there for the time being. I'm not logged out, and the dark theme persists even when I lose the favorites.

in_cahoots fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 23, 2013

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Sorry, what's causing the crash?

In the IMG tag option there's "paste" which I was assuming meant it did a clipboard-based upload to imgur? Otherwise it's just a useless option in the menu that inputs a URL you have to delete when the tag insert already exists.

I tried using it as the former and any time I try to do so it immediately crashes the app, no loading circle or hang or anything. Just straight up crash.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

In the IMG tag option there's "paste" which I was assuming meant it did a clipboard-based upload to imgur? Otherwise it's just a useless option in the menu that inputs a URL you have to delete when the tag insert already exists.

I tried using it as the former and any time I try to do so it immediately crashes the app, no loading circle or hang or anything. Just straight up crash.

Oh ok, yep, you're reading that menu item right. I can't get it to crash for me though. What device? Which image causes the crash?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Oh ok, yep, you're reading that menu item right. I can't get it to crash for me though. What device? Which image causes the crash?

Any image, iPhone 4S running iOS7. I'd give a detailed crash log but I don't have a computer for the foreseeable future

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm getting crashes when opening a gif, then trying to copy to clipboard. The Awful app crashes and the gif isn't copied.

Ex: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574102&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post420855068

IPhone 4S running 7.0.3

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Snowy posted:

I'm getting crashes when opening a gif, then trying to copy to clipboard. The Awful app crashes and the gif isn't copied.

Ex: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574102&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post420855068

IPhone 4S running 7.0.3

That's not good. On the list!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

App is spazzing out on the last page of this thread, currently page 162.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572760&perpage=40&pagenumber=162

Get no posts, visiting another thread or page or restarting the app doesn't recover anything. Jumping to a page and then trying to jump to the last page just loads whatever page I was trying to leave.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Is it normal for the app to almost immediately lose my place when multitasking? I switch over to the Tumblr app to look at a few posts, or to gmail to check my inbox, and in the minute or so I'm gone it reverts me to the bookmarks list instead of just going back to the thread I was reading. I used to be able to have like nine different tabs open at once and come back to the app after half an hour and pick right back where I left off. Is it just an IOS7 deal?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Is it normal for the app to almost immediately lose my place when multitasking? I switch over to the Tumblr app to look at a few posts, or to gmail to check my inbox, and in the minute or so I'm gone it reverts me to the bookmarks list instead of just going back to the thread I was reading. I used to be able to have like nine different tabs open at once and come back to the app after half an hour and pick right back where I left off. Is it just an IOS7 deal?

For some reason Awful's being terminated more than usual, probably to free up some memory. We do absolutely nothing to save and restore the app's state, so if the OS kills Awful it's back to the bookmarks for you. Sucks but there you go.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

App is spazzing out on the last page of this thread, currently page 162.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572760&perpage=40&pagenumber=162

Get no posts, visiting another thread or page or restarting the app doesn't recover anything. Jumping to a page and then trying to jump to the last page just loads whatever page I was trying to leave.

I can't make this happen. Does it still spaz out? Anybody else see anything?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I can't make this happen. Does it still spaz out? Anybody else see anything?

I tried the link out and it was fine.

Haha. Second go it did this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is the worst, it makes posting a bitch if you want to include links. I especially hate getting punked by that drat screenshot for a few seconds before it laughs in my face, deletes my post, and leaves me for dead on the bookmarks page.

• Locked thread