Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I think I'll faff about with the traitor pdas and rename the telecrystals in them to something else.
SyndiCredits. For all your nefarious shopping needs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Chits, obviously.

vvv Disregard me and do this vvv

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 22, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bitcoins.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Cosbycoins. The true currency of the future. :colbert:

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

One time I taught a guy how to make 11x11 bombs over mentorhelp while I was a traitor and later on ending up shooting him and had to deliberately not check his pack because I thought it would be like cheating.

Then an admin messages me with "hey deadchat is screaming for you to look in that pack because it's full of bombs".

I think that was me! :)

It was the old station, and just as I exited mixing you were waiting right outside for me. You said something like "Good Job!" and shot me to death.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Thanks to everyone who cleared that up for me. That round was such a clusterfuck it almost made me disable traitor in my occupational preferences.

It went something like this. I was the quartermaster, and for some reason a bunch of people immediately space themselves at the start of the round, including all the other QMs, so trying to build up credits to do anything with took a lot longer than it should have.

:mad:

But at least that gave me plenty of privacy. So I thought I'd take advantage of the mining manufacturer to make some charges to bomb my target, which was 50% of the monkeys on the station. I thought I could take a pod and blow up their enclosure from the outside. But, mining charges can only be used on rocks.

:doh:

Well, okay, I decided I'd have to sneak into medical behind someone, or ask the AI to let me in, or something, but from there getting to the monkeys would take patience and stealth. So I blew 7 out of 10 points on a cloaking device. Then I got to medical, and discovered it had lost all power. All I'd need was a crowbar, and with the lights out I could get through it easily, so those 7 points were mostly wasted.

:argh:

So then I had to choose a weapon. I had a crowbar, but that seemed to do almost no damage to the monkeys, so I had to quickly improvise. There were still people running around medbay from time to time, after all. I could have gone with a pipe bomb, but for some reason I choose the tactical grenade package instead. I didn't realize that it only had smoke and incendiary grenades in it. I used both incendiary grenades, but if I understand correctly the fire they generate is an environment effect and has no effect on NPCs. At any rate, the monkeys were still alive at the end. Also, I managed to catch myself in the second blast, which completely knocked me out.

:supaburn:

By some miracle, some people who actually saw me throw the second grenade didn't realize I was a traitor, and dragged me to a safe place where they patched me up and sent me on my way. I went straight back to the monkeys and this time tried to put them in the disposal, but was halfway done when I realized that wouldn't kill them either. What I should have done was get them all in a crate and sent them to disposals through belt hell. That should have done it. I've seen the grinder gib monkeys before.

:cry:

And finally, by that time the station was coming apart, and I just had to give up. Someone had blocked off escape very effectively, but I had the tools to open up a window on the shuttle itself, so I went to EVA, which was busted open by then, and picked up a jetpack, intending to fly around the station. Halfway there, though, I lost movement controls. I have no idea why. I still had plenty of pressure. Maybe it had to do with the radiation blanketing the station? But anyway, I lost control and flew right off the Z-level, and the shuttle left without me.

:suicide:

I should just stick to being the QM. That's what I'm good at.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
I played this game for a short time about a year ago, maybe longer.
I was wondering how much has it changed and would I be able to jump right back in or am I going to have to completely relearn the game.
I'm perfectly fine with being a noob at it again but I was just curious how much work I would have to put in to catch myself back up.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The interface is largely the same, with some new optional features (you can press tab to use the WASD keys to move) Mostly some of the jobs have changed. Chemistry got a big overhaul so now the recipes are more realistic and have different names, while still setting the place on fire every round. Genetics is different too I think. The barman can mix drinks.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, but I think if you've tackled the interface once, you won't have any trouble coming back.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
Nice to hear chemistry has changed.

One match I was playing as a chemist helping another chemist that had played more than I had.
Suddenly the admin takes a huge steaming poo poo on me accusing me of cheating.
I was completely confused as I had still barely mastered the controls of the game.
Apparently the guy I had been working with was pulling recipes from a list of compounds from a website or some such that the admin had discovered.
He had assumed my guilt through association until I explained to the admin that I was fresh to the game.
He gave me a pass but said to never use outside resources or he would ban my rear end.

Suffice it to say I was scared shitless.

Also discovering how to make coke by mixing random ingredients was awesome.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Which admin did that? Name and shame!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
These tales of admins losing their poo poo make me want to play with a recipe list at all times, just for spite.

If anybody says anything, I'm psychic and/or Heisenberg.

Seriously though, janitor is most appealing to me, I just never have time to play anything lately.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Holy lol if admins seriously get mad at people using the recipe list (which is available to like 90% of people and is massively helpful for making useful stuff as well as the usual icedeathlifesmoke)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Anoia posted:

These tales of admins losing their poo poo make me want to play with a recipe list at all times, just for spite.

Seriously though, janitor is most appealing to me, I just never have time to play anything lately.

Literally the only time I haven't had a recipe list open while playing chemist was right after the big update when there wasn't one.

Which isn't to say that I didn't find a couple myself, but rather that I basically found the ones people didn't put on a list and nothing else because loving around for an hour trying to figure out basic medicine is dumb.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I neither watch Chemistry nor have I ever cared what they're doing. You should head over to #2 more often, the admins there usually couldn't begin to give a poo poo about science wing shenanigans.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
Do note that my run in with the admin from hell was when I played nearly a year ago.

Agat 9
Apr 24, 2008

But SS13 already has bitcoins, so this wouldn't resolve any confusion!

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dunite posted:

Do note that my run in with the admin from hell was when I played nearly a year ago.
Was it on the goon servers? That sounds like something you'd get from Baystation or one of the other HARDCORE ARPEE servers.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Stuntman posted:

Was it on the goon servers? That sounds like something you'd get from Baystation or one of the other HARDCORE ARPEE servers.

At this point it doesn't matter but I usually only played on the goon servers.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Anoia posted:

Janitorbot was a ton of fun. In exchanged for me getting him a complete space rig from Mining a robotist build me a heavy reinforced body with tracks. He was hoping to go grab lovely Bill and make a lovely Billbot. So as a big honking piece of metal I chose the janitor module and went around mopping and cleaning and if somebody tried to swipe my bucket I easily chased it back down and got it back again. It's a lot of fun being janitorbot.

Also I found out today that Black Weed kills people. :( I'm still sad about that cause I did know. I just thought it was really good poo poo.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Pouring some carbon in the janitor's bucket is so much more evil than stealing it. A creative janitor can undo it, though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I infused a cannabis seed with a bunch of Gro-Boost, and planted it. It was in poor condition at the beginning and was for a really long time, but with water, compost, and some of the other nutrients in Botany, it eventually got healthy and started flourishing.

It was never harvestable, not even with -35 maturation and -8 production. It had a decent yield stat. But 40 minutes in to the round, it hadn't been harvestable once. What gives?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Klayboxx posted:

No it was more like ???: "THIS IS THE SYNDICATE, YOU'RE GONNA BLOW UP!"
Billy Mays: "gently caress YOU NERD!"
Chef Buttes: "Yeah, gently caress you."
???: "NO F U :("
pda bomb
Billy Mays: "gently caress YOU FOR BLOWING UP MY ARM!"

:cry: IT'S ALL TRUE!
But some people said in ooc they liked it, I'm planning on doing more with it in the future.

Also I was Jesse, so I kept switching the id back and forth and arguing with myself.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nakar posted:

I neither watch Chemistry nor have I ever cared what they're doing. You should head over to #2 more often, the admins there usually couldn't begin to give a poo poo about science wing shenanigans.

I will agree that I have had far fewer problems with getting harshed on when I go to the #2 server. Back when the servers were called Gibbed instead of LLJK I got jobbanned out of nowhere a couple times, nobody telling me a thing. When I appealed the ban it would sit in the forum queue for a month, nobody copping to it or explaining why, before someone finally said 'ok, hit me when you're online next and i'll remove it'.

The third time this happened I just sort of said gently caress it and went to #2 instead, and I've never had a problem again. I probably still have a jobban on #1 but the unban process was so awful the first two times I just don't care enough about 2D spacemans to go through it again.

That said, anyone who claims that the player base is so different between #1 and #2 (this stupid topic filters through IRC every so often) is probably blowing smoke up your rear end.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

Skunkrocker posted:

:cry: IT'S ALL TRUE!
But some people said in ooc they liked it, I'm planning on doing more with it in the future.

Also I was Jesse, so I kept switching the id back and forth and arguing with myself.

Heh, I was trying to figure out who was doing it so I could make fun of them for being schizo

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

When I scream and holler and delete the lights in Chemistry and alter one of the chemical machines to only output blood and vomit, it's not because someone's using a recipe list. That just means it's time to punish Chemistry for existing.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

PopeCrunch posted:

When I scream and holler and delete the lights in Chemistry and alter one of the chemical machines to only output blood and vomit, it's not because someone's using a recipe list. That just means it's time to punish Chemistry for existing.

The only time I remember you loving with Chem, you changed one of the dispensers so it only gave out blood and added something that exploded HORRIBLY when chilled to the list on one of the others. Was it "reward Chemistry for existing" time that day or what?

Orv
May 4, 2011
It should always be "reward Chemistry for existing" day, but there should be a coin flip involved as to whether you get dispensers with already heated thermite or awesome ultra-dispensers with everything in them.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

PopeCrunch posted:

When poo poo existed you would alter them to only output poo poo and piss. I remember that quite fondly.

I remember one time a bunch of admins were on and the whole chemistry department was deleted and replaced with a really bad .gif and a BFG was placed inside the .gif and multiple people fell for it.

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar
Is the lag worse in version 500 or something? Things seem to slow way, way down 20 minutes in.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Klayboxx posted:

When poo poo existed you would alter them to only output poo poo and piss. I remember that quite fondly.

I remember one time a bunch of admins were on and the whole chemistry department was deleted and replaced with a really bad .gif and a BFG was placed inside the .gif and multiple people fell for it.

The best Chemistry round was the round where Science was determined to have finally gone Too FarTM and the entire research wing was deleted and replaced with a band room. :v:

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Bachelor Numpad posted:

Is the lag worse in version 500 or something? Things seem to slow way, way down 20 minutes in.

I'd say yes, seems to set in earlier, and hit harder than before. But it's always been pretty terrible so it's hard to tell if it's actually worse sometimes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Bravo posted:

The best Chemistry round was the round where Science was determined to have finally gone Too FarTM and the entire research wing was deleted and replaced with a band room. :v:

I'm trying to picture what could possibly qualify as this, and every time all I come up with is a smoking hole open to space in the station where Chemistry once was.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I'll give you a hint, it was immediately after one of Cog's big chemistry updates, where he added in new stuff. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Bravo posted:

I'll give you a hint, it was immediately after one of Cog's big chemistry updates, where he added in new stuff. :v:

Ah. I'm guessing I was right then and it involved CF3/Black Powder/Thermite/Pyrosium super-smoke burning away entire sections of the station?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Honestly, I can't remember, but it was either that or when chemists discovered that CF3 and Cheese smoke would crash the server. One of the two.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Chemistry is the funniest poo poo in this game. I don't think anyone is ever going to top the time someone managed to make a sustained reaction which created life, set it on fire, and then used the heat from the burning and dying clones to catalyze the birth of the next generation. It was actually horrifying in a really funny way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dauntasa posted:

Chemistry is the funniest poo poo in this game. I don't think anyone is ever going to top the time someone managed to make a sustained reaction which created life, set it on fire, and then used the heat from the burning and dying clones to catalyze the birth of the next generation. It was actually horrifying in a really funny way.

Sailor Dave's lifesmoke is the level we all strive to reach :allears:.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How the gently caress does that even work?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

VanSandman posted:

How the gently caress does that even work?

I have to guess, but what I would assume is that he initially creates life, then releases smoke that combines in someone's bloodstream to also produce life. The smoke inserts reagents into each new life that spawns, which then causes the new life to create more new life. It's also all on fire apparently, which might be part of the process of making life, but I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

The only time I remember you loving with Chem, you changed one of the dispensers so it only gave out blood and added something that exploded HORRIBLY when chilled to the list on one of the others. Was it "reward Chemistry for existing" time that day or what?

I wish I could find the screencaps on the wiki of the time Pope went absolutely loving apeshit on Chemistry. He murdered all the Chemists, and deleted everything that could potentially be used to do chemistry, even in the kitchen. He sent announcements at each step in this process, getting more and more furious each time someone found some other way to do chemistry on the station. Dozens of people asked "what did the chemists do???" over and over again.

And the next CentCom announcement simply stated: 'THEY EXISTED.'

• Locked thread