Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

Nuntius posted:

My wife and I both have the DVD version on our Macs. She is being offered an update and I'm not, so maybe it's just not rolled out to everyone yet

Looks like that's the case as mine just showed up in Software Update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So one thing that I really like about Mavericks is that it's really consistent about where new Safari windows open when you have multiple monitors. It used to be that it was wherever you'd last closed a window or something. Now it's "where the current window is" which is much easier to deal with when my second monitor is busy displaying something else.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I have taken the plunge and have tossed Chrome now that I am on Mac/iOS 100% and Keychain access is available.

Excited to see where this takes me.. I hope its good :ohdear:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Terpfen posted:

I dropped it after a long period where they didn't update and the plugins became version stagnant. Is it better now?
It left the MAS. Download it from the site.

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
I was so excited when I saw separate preferences for Natural Scrolling under Mouse and Trackpad... Until I realized that they're the same preference for each input.

Why Apple, why?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They got me with that as well. Pretty sure that was in 10.8 as well though.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

FlashBangBob posted:

I have taken the plunge and have tossed Chrome now that I am on Mac/iOS 100% and Keychain access is available.

I'm in the same boat.

I've noticed some Flash issues but that's been it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I opened almost every program I could find on my Mac (and a bunch of sites in each browser) and here's how much memory was magically compressed:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Terpfen posted:

I'm really impressed with Mavericks. Apple donged Windows 8.1 in every way, including pricing, which the Internet would have us believe is never on Apple's side.

To be fair, Apple hardware is really expensive to originally purchase, its just that you get really good support, hardware and software for your buy. The free update is a long time coming though.

Making iWork free vs Office is pretty great though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hmm, I've sent iTunes to full screen, and the top part of the screen where the menu bar is stays black. The menu bar slides up just to replace it with black space instead of rendering the window the whole height of the screen. Not a problem with Chrome right now.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

FlashBangBob posted:

I'm almost there. My entire life is in Google though (use Google for literally everything). I don't know if I can do it, but it's tempting as I'm sure Safari is better on Mavericks.

Is X Marks still the go-to cross platform bookmark manager? That way I could swap back to Chrome if Safari sucks...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
According to Macrumors, Apple has stated that they are looking into the issue as to why certain non-MAS versions of iWork /iLife Suite apps are not updating.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Duckman2008 posted:

To be fair, Apple hardware is really expensive to originally purchase, its just that you get really good support, hardware and software for your buy. The free update is a long time coming though.

Making iWork free vs Office is pretty great though.

Apple hardware is expensive compared to cheap crap. MacBook Pro's are priced in line with other higher end laptops from people like Dell, HP etc. Except with them you wouldn't be getting a 2009 OS upgraded to the latest free of charge.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sockser posted:

I'm downloading Mavericks now, and just so's I know,

Is Mavericks still a boner about partitions? Am I going to have to delete and recreate my Windows partition like I do every year?

It is officially not a boner and I guess I was able to keep my windows partition. It didn't bitch at the very least.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm having a problem with my 2011 Mini since I've updated to Mavericks: I have an external drive where I store my music and videos, and suddenly I have lost permissions to write to it. I can read it no problem, and in the Get Info window in the Sharing & Permissions area it tells me that I can only read the drive, even though on the list it says my Privilege is Read & Write. Disk Utility says all is fine with the drive, but it will not allow me to Verify Disk Permissions.

What happened? :confused:

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

On both my iMac and Macbook Air it's showing 3 updates available at the App Store but when I click on "Updates" there's nothing there besides the ones I've previously installed.

EDIT: Seems like others are having this issue too. Wondering if it's because I installed 603 over 598? I wish Apple wouldn't have referred to 598 as "GM" when it clearly wasn't.

EDIT2: Running "sudo softwareupdate --install --all" from the command line seems to be downloading the updates, so I'm guessing the App Store issue is just due to server strain.

tonic fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 23, 2013

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
It looks like youtube5 has stopped working for me because of the new Safari or because of Mavericks. What's weird is that it still works with embedded videos but on the site it just says "missing plug-in" and tells me to get flash. Anyone know a fix?

A PC Game fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 23, 2013

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Aw man I just found out my iMac (mid-2010) doesn't support airplay so I can't use the sweet new AppleTV feature. Dang, man.

Setting up Airparrot now, we'll see how that goes.

e:
Oh cool there's a new About this mac

Sockser fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 23, 2013

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Just installed the new Garageband. I had to manually find it on the App Store and download it. I still have my old gb listed on purchases as Garageband 6.0.5 and it wasn't uninstalled in the process. What's the best way to remove it and not be left with gigs of redundant loops etc, without harming the new Garageband?

Sockser posted:

Aw man I just found out my iMac (mid-2010) doesn't support airplay so I can't use the sweet new AppleTV feature. Dang, man.

e:

Both these things are 10.8 not 10.9 features

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Sockser posted:

e:

That's from 10.8 or 10.7 :dog:

Personally, I wish this didn't bug me so much but it does:

I got so used to the nice darker 2D dock when it's on the side. The white just doesn't look as good, especially with the blueish folder icons that Mac uses by default.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sockser posted:

e:

Did you skip Mountain Lion or something? Both of the features you're talking about are not new (AirPlay mirroring and About This Mac).

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Nuntius posted:

Both these things are 10.8 not 10.9 features

10.7 for the About This Mac window (I happened to just look at that a few minutes ago in a 10.7 VM).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Didn't know either of those was in ML :shobon:

E: well the mirroring I knew, but I didn't have any use for it, I wanted the third display

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Okay, Mavericks gets some extra points for me on Spaces. I was a bit weirded out before about it since on Mountain Lion I would unplug my laptop from the secondary monitor and when I plugged it back in later it would forget window placement. Now the spaces are a bit more strict, but when I plug my monitor back in, the computer remembers the external monitor had Desktop 4 and iTunes fullscreen over there.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
If I used TRIM enabler in mountain lion, (I have a crucial M4 SSD in my macbook pro) do I need to use it again to enable TRIM in Mavericks or is it enabled on any SSD now?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

So, question for those who've upgraded before. How does the install take place, exactly? I ask this because I'm about to go to bed with the installer at about 25%, and I want to know if the system will automatically upgrade to Mavericks, or if I have to click through menus myself.

VVV Oops, I meant the downloader, yeah. Thanks.

NuclearPotato fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 23, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's more or less interaction-free. It should reboot on its own and continue until it gets to the initial setup screen.

edit: wait the installation is at 25% or the download is? If it's the download, then yeah you gotta wait to start the installation process.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

serebralassazin posted:

If I used TRIM enabler in mountain lion, (I have a crucial M4 SSD in my macbook pro) do I need to use it again to enable TRIM in Mavericks or is it enabled on any SSD now?

You'll need to use it again, but I'd recommend waiting for someone else to test it first.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

NuclearPotato posted:

So, question for those who've upgraded before. How does the install take place, exactly? I ask this because I'm about to go to bed with the installer at about 25%, and I want to know if the system will automatically upgrade to Mavericks, or if I have to click through menus myself.

I didn't have to touch it. It spun away for a while, rebooted, then spun again, then restored all my windows to where they were when the upgrade started.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

Nuntius posted:

Just installed the new Garageband. I had to manually find it on the App Store and download it. I still have my old gb listed on purchases as Garageband 6.0.5 and it wasn't uninstalled in the process. What's the best way to remove it and not be left with gigs of redundant loops etc, without harming the new Garageband?

Also curious about this because the moment I launched the new GarageBand it started to download additional content, which I put a stop to until I sort out how to clear out all of the old stuff from 6.0.5.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm in love with Mavericks because one of the issues my MacBook Pro had was that it would take a real long time to wake up from sleep mode. That doesn't happen anymore.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So, it looks like we are getting updates to iWork if you have the DVD version installed.. In fact, it looks like it CONVERTs it to the MAS version.

Also.. I kinda might have had a copy of Aperture on my hard drive that I don't use really at all (I use lightroom mostly) and I kinda had a serial number in it that I found online somewhere. And it seems to have picked up this and converted it to a legit MAS version. :monocle:

BTW, I am in no way endorsing this sort of thing... I was just surprised, that's all.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 23, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I'm (im)patiently waiting for my new MacBook 13 Retina to arrive next week, but I had a question in the meantime: am I really missing out on a lot by not using Mac OS X's Mail/Contacts/Calendar/Keychain/Messaging applications because I'm already pretty heavily invested in the Google ecosystem (and KeePass)?

I always feel weird about saying no to things :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fookolt posted:

I'm (im)patiently waiting for my new MacBook 13 Retina to arrive next week, but I had a question in the meantime: am I really missing out on a lot by not using Mac OS X's Mail/Contacts/Calendar/Keychain/Messaging applications because I'm already pretty heavily invested in the Google ecosystem (and KeePass)?

I always feel weird about saying no to things :(

I'm heavily invested in the Google ecosystem as well, I don't use any of the Apple apps in fact, and i've been fine. There haven't been any instances where I was like "wow, I sure wish I was using this Apple app instead."

lua
Jun 16, 2013
Is there a way to stop Mavericks going into clamshell mode when you shut a Macbook with an external display (but no external keyboard/mouse) connected? In Snow Leopard it used to sleep, which made sense, but since ML it just puts everything on the external with no way of interacting with it.

wdarkk posted:

You'll need to use it again, but I'd recommend waiting for someone else to test it first.

I had to use it again, but it's been fine thus far. Maybe hold out a while if you're cautious, though.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

jeeves posted:

Personally, I wish this didn't bug me so much but it does:

I got so used to the nice darker 2D dock when it's on the side. The white just doesn't look as good, especially with the blueish folder icons that Mac uses by default.

It's just not the same without that little border keeping my icons in their tidy little box :(

It doesn't help that it's also nearly the same shade of grey as one of my backgrounds, but that's hardly Apple's fault.

On the other hand, besides taking ages to install, nothing seems to have broken yet! If you were using Glims on Safari for whatever reason, you might want to uninstall it. Safari was broken as gently caress, but between uninstalling that and SIMBL, it now works fine.

Incidentally, how long has Yandex been a search provider option in Safari?

Now my only quibble is that both Echofon and Twitter's own app insist on using the discrete card (2010MBP) for some idiotic reason.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

echobucket posted:

So, it looks like we are getting updates to iWork if you have the DVD version installed.. In fact, it looks like it CONVERTs it to the MAS version.

At this point they probably thought 'every new mac gets this for free and it's not worth our time to police the few old copies and make updates specifically for them'

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

echobucket posted:

Also.. I kinda might have had a copy of Aperture on my hard drive that I don't use really at all (I use lightroom mostly) and I kinda had a serial number in it that I found online somewhere. And it seems to have picked up this and converted it to a legit MAS version. :monocle:

BTW, I am in no way endorsing this sort of thing... I was just surprised, that's all.

After I finally broke down and bought the app store versions of Pages and Numbers :doh:

Interestingly, I still haven't received a purchase receipt from those two and it's been hours.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I'm heavily invested in the Google ecosystem as well, I don't use any of the Apple apps in fact, and i've been fine. There haven't been any instances where I was like "wow, I sure wish I was using this Apple app instead."

Also it's not really an either/or type problem. Apple apps will quite happily connect to Google's infrastructure - well in most cases. Calendar works fine, mail.app has no problem as a Gmail client and contacts sync (although I've had some weird behaviour there).

Mummy and daddy aren't always fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
I finally bought the bullet and borrowed an old MacBook Pro from work to start working with OSX. Finding myself pleasantly surprised. MacPorts isn't as good as yum on CentOS or apt on Debian, but it's pretty good for most everything I've needed to pull from it and (unlike the last time I touched a Mac which was a looooong time ago) there are actually applications for most everything I need. I might even buy iWork just to see if it compares to Office (one of 3 things that would have to change for OSX to be viable for us as a regular platform instead of a developer only machine).

Still won't replace Windows 7 for the majority of our users, but it's getting closer (especially with the 8/8.1 shitshow) and is light years ahead of Unity/Gnome on the linux side.