Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I need some advice. I have this Antigua Strat, it has Fender "vintage style pickups" and honestly, they suck.

I am looking to replace them, not sure with what exactly, but my real problem is I can't find a replacement Antigua pickguard(I will probably just leave all the stock stuff alone). Apparently they are pained that way, so nobody makes a replacement. I am probably going to just get a different pick guard, and wire that up with some weird poo poo, like a 3 way toggle, killswitch, etc. Can anyone either tell me where to get a new Antigua pickguard(doubtful) or what pickguard do you think would look decent for a replacement? I see a lot of people use plain old black ones for a replacement, but I'm not sure if I like that.

Thoughts?

Here is a blurry pic in case you don't know what Antigua finish looks like, with bonus laser cat shot:

Dirt fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'd say a pearloid might look pretty good on there.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Needs tort.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Most modern tuners are acceptable even if they aren't rock solid. Tuning problems typically come from the bridge or the nut and those are way cheaper to futz with than buying new tuning keys.

E: Also for the guy asking about Grizzly Bear, any Silverface amp will get you in the ballpark and you can probably squeak out something similar with a Fender Excelsior and some slapback.

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 22, 2013

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I approve of the Antigua guitar, Antigua pickguard and Antigua finished cat

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Dirt posted:

So I need some advice. I have this Antigua Strat, it has Fender "vintage style pickups" and honestly, they suck.

I am looking to replace them, not sure with what exactly, but my real problem is I can't find a replacement Antigua pickguard(I will probably just leave all the stock stuff alone). Apparently they are pained that way, so nobody makes a replacement. I am probably going to just get a different pick guard, and wire that up with some weird poo poo, like a 3 way toggle, killswitch, etc. Can anyone either tell me where to get a new Antigua pickguard(doubtful) or what pickguard do you think would look decent for a replacement? I see a lot of people use plain old black ones for a replacement, but I'm not sure if I like that.

Thoughts?

Here is a blurry pic in case you don't know what Antigua finish looks like, with bonus laser cat shot:

That finish should be easy enough to do on a blank scratchplate. Just trace around the new one on a piece of stiff card, cut it out then attach the two together with risers and spray a basecoat shade on at a slight angle. You'll get solid coverage at the edges before fading into the original colour. Then if you want, touch up the edge with a brush or sponge, blending to a slightly darker shade.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That finish is begging for some cholo lettering, maybe the birth and death dates of your little boo and what set you roll with.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Purple pearl pickguard w/David Gilmour EMGs then send it to me for evaluation.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

http://www.wdmusic.com/fender_strat_pickguard_st_2G12.html

I like that Mexican Flag strat pickguard the most.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Interesting suggestions :)

Still undecided at the moment though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

jwh posted:

http://www.wdmusic.com/fender_strat_pickguard_st_2G12.html

I like that Mexican Flag strat pickguard the most.

This guy's on the right track. Maybe a Santa Muerte on the body to match.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Remulak posted:

Needs tort.

This is never true :colbert:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Dirt posted:

Thoughts?

Why do you need to replace the pickguard?

Also, often times lovely Fender pickups are helped by scooping out the mids in your equalizer.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

RillAkBea posted:

I learned everything I know from Justinguitar.com. Admittedly I use tabs a lot as well when learning songs, but having taken the time to sit down and learn even a basic bit of theory actually helps a little when learning off tabs too. Almost every free tab has something wrong with it, even if it's just an awkward fingering and knowing the neck even a little will help a lot.

Justinguitar also has ear training exercises, where he has recordings of chords/notes and you have to try to transcribe them (then check your answers against an answer key). They start out simple and ramp up in complexity. It seems like a pretty good way to begin ear training if you're not confident enough to jump right into working out songs from scratch.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-118-JUSTINstage1.php

That said, one "advantage" of tabs (or sheet music), especially the random ones around the internet, is that they have mistakes in them, and the exercise of listening to the song and correcting the tab yourself can be good training.

OK, effects/technique question: I'm trying to teach myself this, and I'm struggling with getting that really staccato distorted guitar sound in the intro (starting from around 0:13). Of course, I'm half suspecting it's actually a guitar sample played through a synthesizer, rather than an actual guitar, but if not, I'm wondering what effects chain/technique I could use to reproduce that?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That's obviously a midi guitar sample. The closest thing I can think of to replicate that sound is an old DOD effect called a Pixellator that IIRC was only on an old lovely floor processor called the TEC4/TEC4X. Otherwise you might come close with a ring mod and a severe noise gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXG5crt8L5w

e: I forgot they make bitcrusher pedals now. Just get one of those.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 22, 2013

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The Mooer Lo-Fi machine appears to be able to pull off a similar effect as well as many more chirpy sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJxn-ff6I4E

I kinda want one even just to mess around with.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I'd just go with the noise gate if you just want the staccato and not the keyboard noises. Practice muting notes to cut them short (try releasing the fretting pressure, that might work well) and crank the gate so it jumps in and chops them off real clean-like

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I think it came out nice, myself:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's a fine lookin' machine. You and your fancy lighting and colour coordination!

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

You get to see both my cat addiction, alcoholism, and Shepard Fairey avatar print at the same time!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
60s Tribute Studio?

Did you drill into the body or did you use a vibramate?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

60s Tribute Studio?

Did you drill into the body or did you use a vibramate?

Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute Limited (mahogany back). Quite a mouthful. This is from before they started painting the backs a dark brown for no reason. 2011.

I had them drill; gently caress it. I have a whole bunch of vintage collectibles already.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

This is also with Curtis Novak replacement pups.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

jwh posted:

This is from before they started painting the backs a dark brown for no reason.

It's to give it a more vintage vibe, oddly enough. Gibson started painting the back and neck of their Les Pauls black/brown during the late 50's and they've re-issued the "dark backs" at various points.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Side Effects posted:

It's to give it a more vintage vibe, oddly enough. Gibson started painting the back and neck of their Les Pauls black/brown during the late 50's and they've re-issued the "dark backs" at various points.

I meant that somewhat flippantly, god knows these guitars need more paint slathered on them.

I'm pretty happy with the bigsby, though the roller bridge has robbed some of the tone, sadly. In going to play with pickup height and see if I can't rejuvenate it somewhat.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dirt posted:

Thoughts?

Unless you are trying to move from Stratocaster-sized pickups, I don't see why you need to replace the pickguard. Just keep the black pickup covers, the pots, and the knobs? Do a little drilling?

If you're deadset on a new pickguard, did you try calling Warmoth? I know they do Antigua finishes in-house for their bodies. I'm sure they can either paint a pickguard themselves or suggest someone who'll do it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I'd just go with the noise gate if you just want the staccato and not the keyboard noises. Practice muting notes to cut them short (try releasing the fretting pressure, that might work well) and crank the gate so it jumps in and chops them off real clean-like

Thanks (and to RillAkBea and Bort) for the suggestions.

I'll play around with the noise gate idea -- that was kinda what I thought would be involved, and also look into bitcrushers. I do all my effects in the computer, so it's not too hard to throw weird and unusual stuff into the chain.

That or maybe I'll fiddle around with Rakarrack's guitar to MIDI functionality and use a guitar to play a guitar sample. :v:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/

Or you could mail Pickguardian, see what they can do.

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012
Has anyone heard anything good about musiciansfriend.com? I've been looking for a cheapish ibanez and found the cheapest one here (about $143CDN?) Looking around, there doesn't seem to be many other places to pick one up (I'm in Victoria, BC)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Coonskin_Cap posted:

Has anyone heard anything good about musiciansfriend.com? I've been looking for a cheapish ibanez and found the cheapest one here (about $143CDN?) Looking around, there doesn't seem to be many other places to pick one up (I'm in Victoria, BC)

They're fine. They spam me less than Sweetwater, have a decent return policy. For the US, at least.

So I'm starting to develop a thing for Japanese Les Pauls clonse.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

That's a very pretty guitar. I love the purfling / binding.

I've always hated the Gibson speed knobs though. (Bell knobs for life, yo)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Simple fix though. :)

CIJ and with nitro finish. Gonna see what the word is on these. Deviser/Bacchus makes them.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Is it fully hollow, or is the trapeze tail piece just cosmetic?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Semi Hollow

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
That's "chambered". Semi-hollow is hollow with a center-block--construction would have formed sides separate from back. Chambered instruments are a lot more stable (and easier to produce).

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Rocksmith review : worth the price for session play alone.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

RetardedRobots posted:

That's "chambered". Semi-hollow is hollow with a center-block--construction would have formed sides separate from back. Chambered instruments are a lot more stable (and easier to produce).

True, but chambered LP's tend to have slightly less open space in them, which was the distinction I make.

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

They're fine. They spam me less than Sweetwater, have a decent return policy. For the US, at least.

Sweet, thanks for the rec. Is a GRX70QA any good?

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

True, but chambered LP's tend to have slightly less open space in them, which was the distinction I make.
Which I call "weight relieved" :airquote: but then Gibson calls "weight relieved" what I'd call "some poo poo routered out" :monocle:. That's really a lot of material cleared out there below the bridge so it probably vibrates a lot like what I call semi-hollow anyhow...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Coonskin_Cap posted:

Sweet, thanks for the rec. Is a GRX70QA any good?

The only cheap Ibanez that I thought was good are the Artcore, decidedly different instruments than that one. If 200 bucks is your limit, I'd recommend the Yamaha Pacifica, as would most on this thread.