Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fo3 posted:

If that makes you sad, what does stick blender mash potato do for you?

If you're after that texture it's fine. Aligot for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

stick blender guacamole makes me so loving sad. :gonk:

Chunkyguac superiority.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Stick blenders are good for giving your pureed soups a final blend before serving to get them frothy and pretty (having pureed them in your vitamix already of course...)

Also good for some foamz, especially the kind that let you detach the blade so that you only have the disk spinning on there - works like a very good frother.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

deimos posted:

Goons, I am planning a remodel and have budgeted $5k for a gas range, lay it on me.

~Induction~

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

But he can't char things on induction.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Invisible Ted posted:

This might sound silly, but what are some good uses for a stick blender? I got a kitchenaid one recently and have been trying to think of some good ways to take it for a spin.

Homemade hummus which is cheap and crazy-easy (and tasty)
Soups, as the hivemind has said
I quite like mashed cauliflower, the texture is awesome with one of these
Real whipped cream, fast. Help to freeze the bowl for 15 min

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Walked posted:

This was never answered a few pages back and I'm here to ask the same exact question. What is suggested by all?

If your issue is that food is getting pushed around and not actually ground properly, a $30 dealie isn't going to have the power to actually keep the column of food moving all the time. I've had a 7 cup cuisinart for about 5 years now, and am satisfied with the power it packs. It weighs a ton, but the motor is strong enough to go for a good long time. I've managed to get coconut ground down to a snow like consistency, soaked beans to a chunky puree (like when making falafel), cooked beans down to a buttery smooth puree, and really finely chopped ginger, garlic, and onion (for when i'm feeling lazy).

A 7 cup cuisinart can be bought for $100 on Amazon, and will last you a good long time.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks guys. I nabbed the $30 costco stick blender at the store today. That'll handle stick blender needs.

I may pick up a proper processor too. I feel like I wouldn't use one but I also feel like I would. Hmph.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Walked posted:

Thanks guys. I nabbed the $30 costco stick blender at the store today. That'll handle stick blender needs.

I may pick up a proper processor too. I feel like I wouldn't use one but I also feel like I would. Hmph.

foodpros are p much the best way to shred vegetables and cheese. Also you can use them to knead dough. I have the Custom 14 model and it owns pretty hard.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Walked posted:

Pie crust... become your friends' and family's lemon tart hero (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/04/lemon-lemon-lemon-cream-recipe.html - this is by far the most delicious dessert I know of)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Guitarchitect posted:

Homemade hummus which is cheap and crazy-easy (and tasty)
Soups, as the hivemind has said
I quite like mashed cauliflower, the texture is awesome with one of these
Real whipped cream, fast. Help to freeze the bowl for 15 min

Hell yes to all of these. I'm going to add my new favorite thing to do with a stick blender:

Tablespoon of peanut butter
Handful of frozen banana pieces
Few ice cubes
Splash of milk
Hit that with your stick blender

So awesome. Perfect quick breakfast!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

angor posted:

Hell yes to all of these. I'm going to add my new favorite thing to do with a stick blender:

Tablespoon of peanut butter
Handful of frozen banana pieces
Few ice cubes
Splash of milk
Hit that with your stick blender

So awesome. Perfect quick breakfast!

Why not do it on a regular blender? Think of the wee little not easily replaced blades!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My blender doesn't get it as smooth, and is more of a pain in the rear end to clean. Also, my hand blender blades are insanely easy to replace :).

It helps to mention that I have a lovely phillips blender that came with my flat, and my hand mixer is a Bamix. YMMV.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

angor posted:

My blender doesn't get it as smooth, and is more of a pain in the rear end to clean. Also, my hand blender blades are insanely easy to replace :).

It helps to mention that I have a lovely phillips blender that came with my flat, and my hand mixer is a Bamix. YMMV.

Oh, a Bamix is a different story.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I need some sort of travel container to take soups and liquidy foods to work. Doesn't need to be a thermos, I have a microwave and will heat it up at lunch time (it's going to be coming from the fridge in the morning anyways).

Should I just get a thermos? Or is there a lighter-weight, cheaper alternative since I don't need the heat/cold insulation? I just want it not to leak all over my bag.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

deimos posted:

Oh, a Bamix is a different story.

So there's the Mono, the Deluxe, the Swissline, and the Gastro.

The Superbox has, I think, a Swissline? Is the Gastro 200 or 350 a silly step up?

I'm looking and I can only find the Gastro 200 online in Canada.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I'm looking to buy a keurig for a christmas gift, but there's so many different models im not sure which one would be the best. I'd really like to spend not more than ~$100, and a lot of them look to be around that point. If it matters I'd be getting the reusable k cup thing too so it'd have to be compatible with that. Any suggestions?

Also is it ok to just plop some chock full o nuts into the reusable cup and let it go or does it have to be ground more or something?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Long Francesco posted:

I'm looking to buy a keurig for a christmas gift, but there's so many different models im not sure which one would be the best. I'd really like to spend not more than ~$100, and a lot of them look to be around that point. If it matters I'd be getting the reusable k cup thing too so it'd have to be compatible with that. Any suggestions?

Also is it ok to just plop some chock full o nuts into the reusable cup and let it go or does it have to be ground more or something?

Unless you're constantly making coffee, I would get the basic Keurig one like the B130. The fancier models have water reservoirs and timers but take up more counter space. I've been really happy with my B30 brewer and use it every day.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Long Francesco posted:

don't.

http://www.dearcoffeeiloveyou.com/love-keurig-nope/

get an aeropress or a clever coffee dripper and a capresso infinity.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

EVG posted:

I need some sort of travel container to take soups and liquidy foods to work. Doesn't need to be a thermos, I have a microwave and will heat it up at lunch time (it's going to be coming from the fridge in the morning anyways).

Should I just get a thermos? Or is there a lighter-weight, cheaper alternative since I don't need the heat/cold insulation? I just want it not to leak all over my bag.

Couldn't some form of wide mouth water bottle for sports work? Something like this. They are food grade, I assume, and can be found pretty cheap. Should be fine I guess.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EVG posted:

I have a few of these: http://www.amazon.com/Sistema-656-ml-Soup-Mug/dp/B005D6Y1OM

got it at homegoods. Works well, water tight, easy to reheat in a microwave.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I guess that is even better, at least if you want the option of reheating in the container.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Unless you're constantly making coffee, I would get the basic Keurig one like the B130. The fancier models have water reservoirs and timers but take up more counter space. I've been really happy with my B30 brewer and use it every day.

I was looking at the basic ones but having a water reservoir for a few cups is pretty important imo. Counter space isn't an issue, convenience is the main thing im looking for. The B31 doesn't look like a bad option, though for $20 more there's the K45. There's just so many different models to choose from.

GrAviTy84 posted:

don't.

http://www.dearcoffeeiloveyou.com/love-keurig-nope/

get an aeropress or a clever coffee dripper and a capresso infinity.

Merry Christmas heres some test tubes and a plastic spatula.

Everything in that link is ridiculous. I think the coffee from a keurig tastes fine, and as for half the article talking about waste I agree that the plastic cups are dumb so I and the person I'd be buying this for wouldn't use them.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Long Francesco posted:

I was looking at the basic ones but having a water reservoir for a few cups is pretty important imo. Counter space isn't an issue, convenience is the main thing im looking for. The B31 doesn't look like a bad option, though for $20 more there's the K45. There's just so many different models to choose from.

Merry Christmas heres some test tubes and a plastic spatula.

Everything in that link is ridiculous. I think the coffee from a keurig tastes fine, and as for half the article talking about waste I agree that the plastic cups are dumb so I and the person I'd be buying this for wouldn't use them.

if you think keurig tastes fine then you're completely entitled to think that. I will say that keurig does not taste like coffee at all. it is awful.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
If you're looking for convenience, filling and cleaning a specialty reusable K-Cup is going to be more work than a press pot or a clever coffee dripper, especially when you want multiple cups. The money you save on the device can be put towards a grinder which is the largest determinant of coffee quality.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 22, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Long Francesco posted:

Yeah, unless you drink enough coffee to empty the reservoir every day, you'll have the water sitting around in it all day. It's not necessarily a bad thing but you'd probably at least want to use filtered water. The smaller units without a reservoir aren't that bad--you just fill your mug to the amount of coffee you want and dump it in the top (obviously a big cup will be more watered down, but that's a fault of any single serve brewer).

edit: Also call me tastless but I drink Costco's brand k-cups and find they're perfectly good for a morning cup. It's not what I would serve for a special occasion to guests, but in that case you probably want something like a french press cup anyways.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

icehewk posted:

If you're looking for convenience, filling and cleaning a specialty reusable K-Cup is going to be more work than a press pot or a clever coffee dripper, especially when you want multiple cups. The money you save on the device can be put towards a grinder which is the largest determinant of coffee quality.

I'm a coffee snob, first and foremost. My wife is not and has a keurig. I got sick of buying all those drat pods and got a reusable filter. It's actually pretty simple and convenient. I put the ground coffee in the pod the night before, coffee gets made that morning, you tap the used grounds into the trash can and just rinse it out. Once a week it goes through the dishwasher to remove the oils (probably unnecessary).

Some people are content with folgers, etc and just want convenience. Being able to turn on a keurig and have coffee for one in a minute does just that. My wife looked at my aeropress and said 'gently caress that'. She throws in a gallon of creamer anyways so she can hardly taste the coffee itself anyways. To each their own.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
If someone genuinely enjoys good coffee, get them something that makes good coffee.

If what they want is a Keurig, more likely than not they are going to be disappointed if they get something else. It's their gift - get them what they want.

(When I was a kid, I REALLY wanted a remote control car. SO BAD. My dad bought me a much nicer, higher quality one than the flashy ad I had cut out - but it was a remote control car KIT. I never put it together. I never got my car. :( * )

((* This is especially sad because I'd love one of these now))

Thanks for the recommendations - I am hesitant to get a sports bottle because this is gonna get tossed in my bag and schlepped along my commute. I've had stuff leak before and it's not pretty. :(

Also, wtf?

I'll check out Homegoods and see what I can find - thanks!

EVG fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 22, 2013

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Hah, exactly. Theyed be very happy with a keurig, not a coffee making kit. Everyone would agree busting out the test tubes and boiling the water and all that makes for superior coffee, and if you make time for that every day then great. But at 6 am when its cold and you have 20 other things to do at the same time pressing a button to get something hot and brown and tastes alright is something I think most people prefer.

As far as the reusable cups go, are they all pretty much the same or is there a top dog?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

EVG posted:

Also, wtf?

I know this isn't the Sports Bottle Recommendation thread but that is basically the gold standard for sports bottles. I had the same one for 9 years (until I tragically threw it in the freezer, full of water, to cool off quickly and forgot about it). Their customer service is awesome (sent me a new one in the color of my choice at no cost after realizing I couldn't deal with the color of the replacement I bought), they're dishwasher safe, have a large capacity, and as long as you are sure to tighten the screw cap enough, will not leak. Also they're built like tanks and nearly indestructible.

A+++ would buy again.

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvvvvv Oh I'm aware, I just needed to shamelessly plug their excellent product.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 22, 2013

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I think they were wondering why the price range of a few bucks to thousands of dollars for a nalgene.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Speaking of stick blenders, can anybody recommend some nice + sturdy non-plastic beakers for mixing in? I don't like the idea of plastic leaching into my hot soup.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How about just sticking your stick blender in the pot you're cooking your soup in

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

So there's the Mono, the Deluxe, the Swissline, and the Gastro.

The Superbox has, I think, a Swissline? Is the Gastro 200 or 350 a silly step up?

I'm looking and I can only find the Gastro 200 online in Canada.

The 350 is has a really long shaft (more than a foot) and that isn't something that's always useful in a home kitchen.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I own a keurig and French press. The keurig is for my morning joe to wake me up. The French press is for when I want to enjoy a cup of coffee. The two can coexist.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

Massive posted:

Speaking of stick blenders, can anybody recommend some nice + sturdy non-plastic beakers for mixing in? I don't like the idea of plastic leaching into my hot soup.

Beakers, like the kind you'd find in a chemistry lab. They're the perfect shape for a stick blender, are very heat resistant, are designed to pour, and most of them are graduated.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
aww, someone gave me a vitamix for my 30th birfday :3:

people are so nice

joining the club :getin:

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

logical fallacy posted:

Beakers, like the kind you'd find in a chemistry lab. They're the perfect shape for a stick blender, are very heat resistant, are designed to pour, and most of them are graduated.

Yea, I figured, but I was thinking that plastic is used due to shatter resistance?

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

How about just sticking your stick blender in the pot you're cooking your soup in

Good point, but soup was just one example ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Massive posted:

Good point, but soup was just one example ;)

Even so, pots and saucepans would be perfect for stick blending other stuff

• Locked thread