Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Baron Bifford posted:

It's just the perspective. Hey, it looks like he's trying to fire two arrows at once, and his bow has no string.

How is Ra's blocking Starfire's bolts with his bare hands? Does the Lazarus Pit do that?

It's a stringless model. The bow uses magnets to fire, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Though the covers are decent, the art inside the issues leave much to be desired:

I cannot stand Roy's face. Also, this gun:

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 23, 2013

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Love the right shoulder in the first panel.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

RHATO 27 cover

Roy Harper, midget or a case of steroids abuse?

Until someone said Starfire, I actually thought this was a marvel comic.

Hawkeye in red, Weird Wolverine in the middle, and then Gambit.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I noticed that one the cover of the issue that will precede the above one (ie Red Hood and the Outlaws #26), Starfire has a different costume design, the one she had at the start of the series, whereas within the book and on the cover on the next issue she has her classic costume.

The cover to #24 also shows her costume sporting red jewels that do not appear on the other covers.

These covers, along with that of #27 above, were all done by the same artist.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 23, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Hope someone has an adrenaline shot handy.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Also since when is Jason Sorcerer Supreme?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The cover makes no sense because Jason does not wear those robes or interact with those characters within the issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

The cover makes no sense because Jason does not wear those robes or interact with those characters within the issue.
That's like 90% of modern Big 2 comics covers, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Baron Bifford posted:

Though the covers are decent, the art inside the issues leave much to be desired:

Yeah, the art on RHATO has been poo poo for a while.

The book started with Rocafort

When he ditched the job for Superman, Timothy Green II was the replacement. A bad choice since he's more suited for an horror book:

The we had a wonderful issue pencilled by Tyler Kirkham (and the one on which Lobdell closed his run)

When Tynion was announced as the new writer, Mico Suayan was billed like the new artist of the book:

We never saw his work, since he left the book without a single issue published though.

I suppose that leaking the cover for RHATO 19 was the reason for that

Gopez was chosen as the new penciller but his work sucks, his earlier issues weren't inked and looked worse

He also changes the characters from a page to another

As issue 27 a new artits takes over art duties, Noel Rodriguez (a newcomer as far as I know)

Hardly what I would call a star talent but he seems the right fit for the book's tone (his work reminds me of udon's comics in fact)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron Bifford posted:

Why does he remind me so much of Adam X?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

One of the worst comic artists I've ever seen has never been published by Marvel or DC.

It's Matt Seneca. This is a guy who draws everything from off-putting, creepy, poorly drawn comics about him perving on women in the subway

to creepy, poorly drawn comics about an imaginary date with Anne Hathaway

I get wicked douche chills from his work. Ugh.

Alhazred posted:

Mignola has a lot of issues he has stated that he hates drawing technically stuff like cars for example. He really strikes me as a kinda lazy artist who doesn't seem like he wants to develop himself.

One thing you have to remember about Mignola is that he is extremely humble and self-depreciating. I'm not saying this makes him infallible, but anything he says about his own art needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 23, 2013

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

One of the worst comic artists I've ever seen has never been published by Marvel or DC.

It's Matt Seneca. This is a guy who draws everything from off-putting, creepy, poorly drawn comics about him perving on women in the subway

to creepy, poorly drawn comics about an imaginary date with Anne Hathaway

I get wicked douche chills from his work. Ugh.

For someone who is supposed to be drawing the beauty of the female form he sure makes his women look....manly.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Madkal posted:

For someone who is supposed to be drawing the beauty of the female form he sure makes his women look....manly.

What strikes me is how... Samey they look. Ok, dude, you've got a type, but you can draw OTHER kinds of women. Or does he live in a world where every woman is super thin, has giant pouty lips, huge perky boobs, no bra, wall eyes, and cheekbones so chiseled their face looks like a rock?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Wait, wait, wait. Read that Anne Hathaway page again. Their happy anecdote from the past has him cutting himself to impress her? :catstare:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

Wait, wait, wait. Read that Anne Hathaway page again. Their happy anecdote from the past has him cutting himself to impress her? :catstare:

I think... It's SUPPOSED to be creepy? Or something?

Let's see what his site says...

quote:

MY DATE WITH ANNE HATHAWAY
My latest comic is also the one I'm proudest of so far...

A hosed up postcolonial love story. A heartfelt salute to celebrity and country. Sad "Terry and the Pirates" comics. MY DATE WITH ANNE HATHAWAY is a dreamlike, genre-hopping graphic novelette, mixing the spectacle of Hollywood movies with the candyfloss sheen of Jim Steranko romance comics and the suicidal vigor of Roy Crane's colonialist adventures to produce a statement both achingly nostalgic and brutally of-the-moment. The most assured and entertaining Very Fine Comix release to date, MY DATE WITH ANNE HATHAWAY reviews the American way of life in a voice by turns loving and scathing, but never less than utterly passionate.

Oh god shut up Matt Seneca.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think... It's SUPPOSED to be creepy? Or something?

Let's see what his site says...

Oh god shut up Matt Seneca.

I want to stab you just for posting that. God dammit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

As issue 27 a new artits takes over art duties, Noel Rodriguez (a newcomer as far as I know)

Hardly what I would call a star talent but he seems the right fit for the book's tone (his work reminds me of udon's comics in fact)

I'm not usually in for some anime influenced art, but this guy is pretty fantastic. That's a great get.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
John Paul Leon's cover for this week's Massive is so loving tight.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm not usually in for some anime influenced art, but this guy is pretty fantastic. That's a great get.

Do not be too optimistic

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baron Bifford posted:

Do not be too optimistic

I really hope there's some Junior Editor at DC who's only job is to troll Deviantart looking for "talent."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I want to say that's got to be the wrong aspect ratio, but the perfectly circular FX on the left hand and the length of the right hand indicates otherwise. There's some cool things going on with technique but ughghghgh what the gently caress proportions ugghghghghgh.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Baron Bifford posted:

Do not be too optimistic

Yikes, that's awful.

Sadly, that seems to be his style for women

(I don't know what the gently caress is happening here :psyduck:)

On the other hand, he draws some really awesome dudes

That's Logan by the way

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why does he remind me so much of Adam X?

It's the hat.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yikes, that's awful.

Sadly, that seems to be his style for women

I thought that was okay? Red Sonja is being held by something (giant bird?), breaks loose, falls towards a house, crashing through the roof and onto some manly mans table. Not a fan of the T&A, but it looks like the dude knows anatomy.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In the last panel it looks like she's losing her metal panties.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I thought that was okay? Red Sonja is being held by something (giant bird?), breaks loose, falls towards a house, crashing through the roof and onto some manly mans table. Not a fan of the T&A, but it looks like the dude knows anatomy.

Probably I'm just nitpicking but there's something 'off' about the way he draws women, the hands and feet looks kind of big, the breasts seems like are just glued to their chests instead of something more natural. Thinking about it, it looks like he's using a male base body and just modifying a bit to turn them into women.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Or perhaps female bodybuilders. They can look a little "off".

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Lightning Lord posted:

Ugh, this dude's creepy as hell. Seems like he has a tendency to keep writing comics about his self-insert dating beautiful women.

Of course he's comparing himself to loving Crumb.

EDIT: Ughhhhhh

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 27, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or is it Sputnik posted:

That last panel. I call them biggie smalls.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Friends Are Evil posted:

EDIT: Ughhhhhh

This guy's stuff is both the creepiest and most groanworthy thing I've seen, like, this month. Please tell me he's some no-name you discovered somewhere on the depths of the internet and that he isn't "underground comix-famous" or anything.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

He's like crumb in using a creepy self insert to play out his fantasies, he's unlike him in that his fantasies are not remotely interesting and he is not immensely talented.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bloody Holly posted:

He's like crumb in using a creepy self insert to play out his fantasies, he's unlike him in that his fantasies are not remotely interesting and he is not immensely talented.

That is one helluva sparkle in her eye. Does she have psionic or telekinetic abilities?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Lobok posted:

That is one helluva sparkle in her eye. Does she have psionic or telekinetic abilities?
It's actually just a poorly-drawn Jean Grey.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

A nice attractive guy? Where's she gonna find one of those in that comic???

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat

SexyBlindfold posted:

This guy's stuff is both the creepiest and most groanworthy thing I've seen, like, this month. Please tell me he's some no-name you discovered somewhere on the depths of the internet and that he isn't "underground comix-famous" or anything.

I've seen his name a lot on comics sites, though I can't remember where or in what context.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
A restraining order, I imagine.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Fallen Rib

bigbigtruck posted:

I've seen his name a lot on comics sites, though I can't remember where or in what context.

He did a retrospective on the Solo books on Comicsalliance. I couldn't read all his reviews because his first review was so terrible, basically how can this awesome indie artist stoop so low to write a crappy book for DC (DC being a mainstream comic publisher therefore all it's books are crappy). I don't know if his reviews got any better but the first one was just so terrible and seemed to be more about his gripe with DC then anything else.
He also burned a copy of Morrison's Supergods because of some gripe he had with Morrison (I think he saw Morrison as a false messiah or something).

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

bigbigtruck posted:

He's actually pretty decent on Tucker Stone and Joe McCullough's comics podcast, but other than that I'm not that into his stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

I Before E posted:

He's actually pretty decent on Tucker Stone and Joe McCullough's comics podcast, but other than that I'm not that into his stuff.

He vacillates between dumb/insightful a lot on there imo. Easily the least consistent of the guys on the podcast.

By the way, Seneca was mostly known as a comics critic a few years ago who I think has more or less stopped writing since. He had gigs at a bunch of different places so if you've read Robot 6, Comics Alliance, or the Comic Journal on the regular you've properly encountered him at some point.