Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I want mega forms for bad pokes so they're not loving garbage. Mega forms for already good pokemon is loving stupid.

There doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason for what pokemon got Mega forms. I mean, the gen 1 starters could definitely use the help (sans Venasaur) and a bunch of the others have eternal popularity (Lucario, Gengar, Alakazam, Gyarados, Scizor, Tyranitar and Heracross). But then they also gave love to Absol, Mawile, Aggron, Houndoom, Manetric, Pinsir, Khangashkan, Banette and Abomasnow who are all sort of... well I wouldn't put them at the top or bottom of any popularity poll.

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Actually, getting two weaknesses isn't what I'd call a tremendous buff. :v:

Steel got a hell of a lot better as an attacking type, clear body makes him a great check on Aegislash and he's still a great bulky mon. Its not like Steel types are going to go down in usage and things like the Assault Vest and Sticky Webs are going to make him a great tank and pivot.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

The Shortest Path posted:

If they make a Mega Tropius and it isn't made purely of bananas I'll loving explode.

Tropius is the best candidate for a mega, imo. It's got a nice typing to it already and the design could lead to a cool design.

I want mega forms for bad pokes so they're not loving garbage. Mega forms for already good pokemon is loving stupid.

Mega Chimecho, Mega Mr. Mime, and Mega Wailord are the ones I was hoping for.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Unbound posted:

Mega Wailord

It turns into the Wind Fish.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zore posted:

You're seriously saying this when Hydreigon and Goodra exist.

Hell, Metagross got some tremendous buffs this gen. Especially if the metagame moves back into bulky offense instead of hyper-fast offense.

It's hard to say how anyone will perform in the new metagame, so it's particularly difficult to pass judgment on Goodra. Hydreigon isn't as good now, but he was uncounterable in Gen 5 and one of two really great anti-metagame Pokémon.

Metagross hates its two new weaknesses.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Unbound posted:

Tropius is the best candidate for a mega, imo. It's got a nice typing to it already and the design could lead to a cool design.

Mega Chimecho, Mega Mr. Mime, and Mega Wailord are the ones I was hoping for.
Mega Wailord and Mega Tropius would actually be really great to have. Can't say the same thing for Mega Mr. Mime. :gonk:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Metagross didn't loving need one is why.

How many of them really needed a Mega Evolution though? Like, 5?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

nerdbot posted:

How many of them really needed a Mega Evolution though? Like, 5?

Pinsir, Absol, ampharos, mawile, Blastoise, Charizard, Aggron, Houndoom, Manetric, Khangashkan, and Abomasnow weren't exactly great pokes to begin with, though mega forms didn't help Abomasnow.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Unbound posted:

Mega Wailord

It would just turn into a planet.

Now I really want this and am sad it won't ever happen.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Fibby Boy posted:

It would just turn into a planet.

Now I really want this and am sad it won't ever happen.

Wailords Wailorite is reacting to your Mega Ring!

There were no survivors.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

cancerianmoth posted:

seriously, I got a Yvetel on the GTS then traded it off for a Squirtle. I'm probably going to give my X legendary to my friend who has Y because legendaries are laaaame. They lost their appeal after Gold/Silver. They should really spend more time putting effort into move pools and ordinary 'mons like a Dunsparce evo. I thought this would be the generation!!!!

At least it isn't as bad as Gen IV and V. Those went absolutely crazy with the legendaries. I think this gen is the most tame they've been with those guys.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think this gen is the most tame they've been with those guys.

Assuming the six we currently know of are it, this gen beats gen I by one and ties gen II.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Aw, if the opponent ragequits after they lose online, it doesn't count as a win. :(

Or it does, and it just didn't update until I lost my next match. Well alright.

Terper fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 23, 2013

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

What are the requirements to make the third pokémon appear in the friend zone safaris, besides the player being online and playing the game at the same time as you? Because I just spent quite a while wading around the same two monsters again and again and the dude's face is lightened up, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong (unless, of course, they have bullshit low appear rates).

Also, poison safaris shouldn't have Gloom and Ariados. That's cheating, game.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How can I tell the numerical value of my EVs? The chart is good for a general idea but it's not exact. First time EV trainer/carer here.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Pentaro posted:

What are the requirements to make the third pokémon appear in the friend zone safaris, besides the player being online and playing the game at the same time as you? Because I just spent quite a while wading around the same two monsters again and again and the dude's face is lightened up, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong (unless, of course, they have bullshit low appear rates).

Also, poison safaris shouldn't have Gloom and Ariados. That's cheating, game.

He has to have beaten the Elite 4.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How can I tell the numerical value of my EVs? The chart is good for a general idea but it's not exact. First time EV trainer/carer here.

You keep count usually, it's easy enough if you're doing horde training cause you either come out with 50 or 60 per battle, granted you're holding the right Power Item and have Pokerus. Otherwise you check the EV yield of whatever Pokemon you fight, take into account Macho Brace/Power Item/Pokerus and just keep a running total. If you're doing Super Training it's easier as everything increments in multiples of 4.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

There's nothing "completely missed" about them, they're the event legendaries of this gen. If you GTS search their names the the trades auto-capitialize their names (if you type VOLCANION it autocorrects to Volcanion), and the searches appear to other players, which means they are valid.
Their names and existence is confirmed, their types are not.

edit- Oh oops, sorry :( I scanned the last few pages but I must have missed it.

There's actually even better evidence for their existence: like I mentioned a few pages ago, their names were already leaked back in July, along with stuff like the starter evolution names.

(Ignore the descriptions, they were just some bullshit someone made up on Tumblr)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Unbound posted:

Mega Wailord

Man this would be awesome. The little Mega circle pops up then steadily grows and grows then when the camera does that zoom out-transform reveal pose you can only see Wailord's eye.

Zore posted:

There doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason for what pokemon got Mega forms. I mean, the gen 1 starters could definitely use the help (sans Venasaur) and a bunch of the others have eternal popularity (Lucario, Gengar, Alakazam, Gyarados, Scizor, Tyranitar and Heracross). But then they also gave love to Absol, Mawile, Aggron, Houndoom, Manetric, Pinsir, Khangashkan, Banette and Abomasnow who are all sort of... well I wouldn't put them at the top or bottom of any popularity poll.

Steel got a hell of a lot better as an attacking type, clear body makes him a great check on Aegislash and he's still a great bulky mon. Its not like Steel types are going to go down in usage and things like the Assault Vest and Sticky Webs are going to make him a great tank and pivot.

A lot of the unpopular ones who got Mega evos are actually sort of viable now which is nice. Like, Absol was never ever useful but it has a very useful niche with the mega evo - it has Magic Bounce so you can't use status moves on it, but it also has a very strong Sucker Punch so you can't use attack moves on it without being punished. Kangaskhan joined the ranks of every other generic Normal type who hits things with Normal moves and was outclassed by other better things since the first games, and now it hits harder and can do things like double Power Up Punch. Like, they went to the effort to port these pokemon to 3D, and unless you give them a mega evo would be used exactly 0 times. It's a way to make their work matter I guess.

Waiting for Mega Luvdisc

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, I'm looking at the final forms of a lot of the early-game mons, seeing what I can throw onto Wonder Trade as gifts. A sort of screw-you to all the people putting in Fletchlings suddenly getting out a Talonflame with Acrobatics and Flare Blitz. (Also, for using one online.)

Is it just me, or could Talonflame run a really good Swords Dance set? All it needs is one boost to catch its middling attack up with its ferocious speed, and you basically have a D-Dance'd Charizard with an actually good Flying STAB.

What I'm currently thinking is

Flying Gem/Life Orb @ Adamant
Flare Blitz
Acrobatics/Brave Bird
Swords Dance
Roost

I might theoretically switch out Roost for U-Turn if I go with Acrobatics, but I'm not sure. Entry hazards are still very much A Thing.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

So there's no Giga Drain TM, huh? My Timid Volcarona currently knows: Bug Buzz, Quiver Dance, Double Edge and Fiery Dance. Obviously, I'd like to get rid of Double Edge, but I'm not sure what else to use in that slot. She's a Flame Body and I've been using Rocky Helmet with her.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pokémon that need a Mega and a buff:
My favourite.

Pokémon that don't need a mega and need a nerf.
Your favourite.

Actually, I'd just settle for being able to use my favourite. :(

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Giga Drain is a tutor move from BW2. It supposedly learns Hurricane and that's a really good move, but that's not until level 90.

edit: Actually this is Gen 5 info so it may be outdated by now.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

HoneyBoy posted:

Giga Drain is a tutor move from BW2. It supposedly learns Hurricane and that's a really good move, but that's not until level 90.

edit: Actually this is Gen 5 info so it may be outdated by now.

Isn't the accuracy of Hurricane really low? Also just checked with the tutor and no dice on Giga Drain

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Volcarona could totally learn Giga Drain, but it's a 5th Gen only move currently. Hurricane is 110 BP/70% accuracy, though it WAS 120 in 5th Gen. Most 120 BP moves were nerfed coming into 6th.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

A lot of the unpopular ones who got Mega evos are actually sort of viable now which is nice.

Not all of them. Mega Banette has an unreal attack stat but no physical moves. It's probably my favorite Mega design, too. :sigh:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So there's no Giga Drain TM, huh? My Timid Volcarona currently knows: Bug Buzz, Quiver Dance, Double Edge and Fiery Dance. Obviously, I'd like to get rid of Double Edge, but I'm not sure what else to use in that slot. She's a Flame Body and I've been using Rocky Helmet with her.

I remember it gets roost but it turns out that was a move tutor too :( You could get Rest, then put a Chesto berry as the item. Then when you rest you get a free full heal and instantly wake up.

LAY-ZX posted:

Not all of them. Mega Banette has an unreal attack stat but no physical moves. It's probably my favorite Mega design, too. :sigh:

Shadow Claw I guess.

It gets Prankster though which is one of the best abilities in the game. But yeah Prankster+high attack is sort of a total waste, plus Prankster doesn't actually activate on the turn you go mega.

The one gimmick it has is Prankster Destiny Bond. Because of Prankster, Destiny Bond will almost always go first. You can catch faster guys off guard and make sure you take them down with you. But then you're giving up your mega stone slot to die soooo

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 23, 2013

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Aurain posted:

My favourite.

Your favourite.

Where's my Mega Parasect goddamnit <:mad:>

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

I remember it gets roost but it turns out that was a move tutor too :( You could get Rest, then put a Chesto berry as the item. Then when you rest you get a free full heal and instantly wake up.
Isn't Roost a TM?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

LAY-ZX posted:

Yeah that is pretty odd.

But it does get Prankster which immediately makes it viable.

e: Oh and it learns Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch so there's that.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The Leper Colon V posted:

Is it just me, or could Talonflame run a really good Swords Dance set? All it needs is one boost to catch its middling attack up with its ferocious speed, and you basically have a D-Dance'd Charizard with an actually good Flying STAB.

Yeah, I trained one up for my sun team, and as long as you can get it in and get the boost off without taking a hit it's pretty crazy. Sun-boosted Flare Blitz and priority Brave Bird is just entirely bananas. I might swap out Brave Bird for Acrobatics now that you mention it, though. Being able to do damage without killing himself might be helpful, and with +2 and sun Flare Blitz hardly needs the Life Orb boost to ruin things.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Isn't Roost a TM?

Oh it is now isn't it? Oops ok use Roost

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just realized why the panda hat's awesome:

It's one classy motherfucker.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bruceski posted:

I just realized why the panda hat's awesome:

It's one classy motherfucker.

Where is this from?

I was pretty dissapointed with the stuff you can get in the max style shop, it was nothing flashy like I expected.

Also style only unlocks 1 haircut and color for guys right? I have a black perm now

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So are there any reliable IV calculators for the Gen 6 pokes yet?
I finally caught an Adamant Pancham, and I want to make sure he isn't secretly weak as hell.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Guess who just got his 5th shiny Trapinch :shepface: This is gonna be the best gimmick team

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Where is this from?

I was pretty dissapointed with the stuff you can get in the max style shop, it was nothing flashy like I expected.

Also style only unlocks 1 haircut and color for guys right? I have a black perm now

Panda's from the postgame city, an artist gives it to males who look colorful. Females get a dress. The glasses, shirt and pants are from the not-Paris boutique, going in there day after day fiinally found me some clothes that didn't look stupid. Seriously, why is everything else plaid? Is this fashion as decreed by Steve Urkel?

My other outfit's a camo beanie/pants but I haven't found a shirt that really works with it. Best I've seen is the black splatter, but I want to finish a "you think pokemon's a game? I'm out on the front lines man" look.

EDIT: if you meant the photo location, it's the second city where you got your starter. There's a photo station on the right by the river that's being built when you first pass.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Aurain posted:

My favourite.

Your favourite.

Still holding out for Mega Galvantula.

david puddy posted:

Guess who just got his 5th shiny Trapinch :shepface: This is gonna be the best gimmick team
Do they at least have Sheer Force or are they all Arena Trapinches?

Also goddamnit, I caught a Impostor Ditto and a lot of other pokes in Safaris, bred my perfect Emolga, only to fall asleep with the 3DS in my hand AND THE BATTERY DIES OVERNIGHT :argh:

Kikas fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 23, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kikas posted:

Still holding out for Mega Galvantula.

Mega Magicarp. Power: Splash actually works like the rumors claim.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Nakar posted:

EDIT: Also if you're postgame, don't use Super Training for EVs. It's fast, but Power Item Horde training with Sweet Scent is ridiculously fast and can level multiple pokemon at the same time. It's objectively superior (unless it's raining). Only do Super Secret Training for rare evo stones and the like.

And getting the ribbon, if you're into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Panda's from the postgame city, an artist gives it to males who look colorful. Females get a dress. The glasses, shirt and pants are from the not-Paris boutique, going in there day after day fiinally found me some clothes that didn't look stupid. Seriously, why is everything else plaid? Is this fashion as decreed by Steve Urkel?

My other outfit's a camo beanie/pants but I haven't found a shirt that really works with it. Best I've seen is the black splatter, but I want to finish a "you think pokemon's a game? I'm out on the front lines man" look.

EDIT: if you meant the photo location, it's the second city where you got your starter. There's a photo station on the right by the river that's being built when you first pass.

Nah I was asking about the clothes, didn't realize the lineups change oh no I'm gonna have to keep checking until I find something decent.

I didn't realize the guy asking to see someone colorful actually gives an awesome pancham hat so I'm definitely gonna try that now. Do I just wear really bright colors?

• Locked thread