Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My main use of my iPad 3 is reading comics. I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that screen size, though if I get an Air (and I'm leaning towards not upgrading until they stop updating the 3 - so next year), it will be a lower storage and wifi only version than what I have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

Mister Macys posted:

Is there a link or thread that summarizes the new iPad features?

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/

http://www.apple.com/ipad-air/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

http://www.apple.com/ipad-air/features/

?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Paradoxish posted:

I'm really amazed that you guys are so confused over the Air and Mini having the same specs. The bigger screen is the selling point. Bigger screens are a selling point for phones, for TVs, and for monitors, so why is it so surprising that some people also prefer larger screens on tablets? Bringing the hardware specs in line is the best possible situation because it means people can buy the device that's actually going to be useful for them instead of feeling that they're losing out because they want a smaller screen.

Because up until today, the larger screen wasn't the only point of distinction between the high-end iPad and iPad mini. There was a generation-difference in SOC, smaller resolution, RAM, etc. Now this isn't the case (jury is out on the mini's RAM, but I don't imagine it'll have less than the Air). Now, the mini is literally at feature parity with the Air, with the exception of the screen size. It now becomes the only point of differentiation between the two. That may have been the main point to the layperson all along, but I'd argue there was more to it for people on this forum.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Will the Apple stores have the new models on display before Nov. 1?

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009
They really need to allocate more memory for the web browser. It is annoying to see your tabs refresh all the time when switching between them. It's a beautiful device though!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I'm not used to websites updating same day. v:rolleyes:v

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Completely unrelated but the iPad air page looks really cool on my phone

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Will the Apple stores have the new models on display before Nov. 1?
Will the Apple Stores have a product on display that isn't available to purchase yet? I highly doubt it.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

Pretty much
iPad Air: Thinner, lighter (1 lbs) and faster (64 bit CPU poo poo's super fast)
Retina iPad Mini: iPad air but has 7.9 inch screen (same resolution) and costs more than the old one.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
Keep in mind while you are losing a couple of inches downsizing to the retina mini, you are saving money and getting what i would be think to be a slightly noticeable better screen (+60 ppi)

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Hendrik posted:

They really need to allocate more memory for the web browser. It is annoying to see your tabs refresh all the time when switching between them. It's a beautiful device though!
This is what I'm the most interested in also. It would be really great if the new iPads had more memory or better memory optimization. I hate seeing all my stuff refresh!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

So on the Apple website, they say the iPad Air is twice as fast as "it's predecessor," and then when you go to the compare specs page, they only have the Air and the iPad 2. There's no 4th gen iPad. So is "twice as fast" referring to the 4th gen or the iPad 2?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nrr posted:

So on the Apple website, they say the iPad Air is twice as fast as "it's predecessor," and then when you go to the compare specs page, they only have the Air and the iPad 2. There's no 4th gen iPad. So is "twice as fast" referring to the 4th gen or the iPad 2?
The 4th gen. It's WAY more than twice as fast as the iPad 2.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Hendrik posted:

wtf do ipads still do this poo poo?!? It was the main reason why I sold my 1st gen ipad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
If anyone still has any old cellular iPads, I'm looking to buy an ATT iPad for a family member who needs better internet options. I'm open to either the 3, 4 or Mini. Anyone looking to sell?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Do we know anything about the RAM? If my iPad 3 reloads yet another tab I'm going to throw it out the window, hope they finally fixed this poo poo.

Also, really not sure whether to for for a mini or an air. The former is cheaper and has a much better screen, pretty weird...

EDIT: also, do the new iPads have the same A7 as the 5S? Is the age of the X-series chips for iPads over? I was looking forward to that six-core rogue GPU in the iPad.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 22, 2013

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009

Wengy posted:

Do we know anything about the RAM? If my iPad 3 reloads yet another tab I'm going to throw it out the window, hope they finally fixed this poo poo.

Also, really not sure whether to for for a mini or an air. The former is cheaper and has a much better screen, pretty weird...

EDIT: also, do the new iPads have the same A7 as the 5S? Is the age of the X-series chips for iPads over? I was looking forward to that six-core rogue GPU in the iPad.

I dont't think that the ram amount is the issue, rather, it's the way the device allocates resources.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Hendrik posted:

I dont't think that the ram amount is the issue, rather, it's the way the device allocates resources.

Well, then they should fix that, because it's been an issue since the iPad 1.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
And it's loving stupid.

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

What are my best options for getting an iPad Air? I've got an iPad 4 with a small superficial dent on the back of the top right corner and an iPad mini with a barely noticeable speck of dust under the screen. How much should I aim for if I sell these?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wengy posted:

Well, then they should fix that, because it's been an issue since the iPad 1.

I noticed it improved with the iPad 2. It refreshed way more often on the first iPad.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
There's a physical limit to how many pages can stay loaded in memory, especially if you go off and do other things on your device. There's no quick and easy fix aside from giving them more memory.

It was by far the worst on the iPad 1, I never notice it happening on my iPad 3 but I don't open a ton of tabs either.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

DarkJC posted:

There's a physical limit to how many pages can stay loaded in memory, especially if you go off and do other things on your device. There's no quick and easy fix aside from giving them more memory.

It was by far the worst on the iPad 1, I never notice it happening on my iPad 3 but I don't open a ton of tabs either.

It has always been a pain in the backside on the ipad 2/mini. 2 tabs at once is not that unreasonable I think.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
drat, that iPad Air is sexy as hell - I love the weight/size of the mini, but I couldn't bring myself to give up the screen real estate on the full-size model. The Air is like the perfect compromise for me. I'm sticking with my 3rd gen for the rest of this year, but I easily see myself snatching up next year's update (hopefully with Touch ID).

I was a little surprised to see the A7 used in both retina iPads, but I guess they couldn't get the size reduction in the Air and also go balls-out with the GPU again. Plus, it seems the A7's horsepower is more than sufficient.

In any case, the iPad 2 staying in the lineup makes me feel a little better about my 3rd gen making it to iOS 8 (yes, I'm aware the 3GS got iOS 6 while the iPad 1 was left in the cold).

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Does anyone know if the new iPad Air will feature the slow motion camera? I didn't see it mentioned unless I missed it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Jet Ready Go posted:

Does anyone know if the new iPad Air will feature the slow motion camera? I didn't see it mentioned unless I missed it.

Doubt it. Apple usually likes to keep the camera on its flagship iPhone ahead of the iPad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

illcendiary posted:

Doubt it. Apple usually likes to keep the camera on its flagship iPhone ahead of the iPad.

More than that, they also gimp the software - iPads don't get panorama, for instance.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I've noticed that 7.0.3 is more stable and performing than 7.0.2. Just a few hours but hey.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

JoeMB posted:

Retina iPad Mini: iPad air but has 7.9 inch screen (same resolution) and costs more than the old one.

This really burns my biscuits, because I really want to get my mother a 32gb for Christmas to replace the horrible, slow, buggy, piece of poo poo :barf: Playbook :barf: her brother passed down to her.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My mom is perfectly fine with the Retina Nexus 7. I feel kind of bad but I'll buy the new iPad Mini for myself.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Jet Ready Go posted:

Watching the hands on video on Anandtech it looked like it didn't.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Gotta say, thinking about it a little more, I'm less than enthused by this announcment. I think my iPad 3 is a POS (worst iPad ever) and I really want to get rid of it, but I was hoping for a real spec monster that would last me a couple of years. Instead, they focused on the form factor and didn't even increase the battery life. They gave the Mini the same screen as the full-size iPad, so that the Mini now has significantly better PPI. I mean, I really only wanted two things: An A7X with that six-core Rogue poo poo and 2 GB RAM. It's too early to tell, but I don't think we'll get either. To me, this screams iPad 3 Mark II, because I just know there's an "iPad Pro" around the corner with a bigger screen, a resolution bump, more RAM, killer graphics etc. Ugh, what to do...

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Wengy posted:

Gotta say, thinking about it a little more, I'm less than enthused by this announcment. I think my iPad 3 is a POS (worst iPad ever) and I really want to get rid of it, but I was hoping for a real spec monster that would last me a couple of years. Instead, they focused on the form factor and didn't even increase the battery life. They gave the Mini the same screen as the full-size iPad, so that the Mini now has significantly better PPI. I mean, I really only wanted two things: An A7X with that six-core Rogue poo poo and 2 GB RAM. It's too early to tell, but I don't think we'll get either. To me, this screams iPad 3 Mark II, because I just know there's an "iPad Pro" around the corner with a bigger screen, a resolution bump, more RAM, killer graphics etc. Ugh, what to do...

The iPad 3 is still a very capable device that runs most popular apps and games smoothly. Sounds more like a case of penis envy. If it bothers you that much then i'd sell it on craigslist and upgrade.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

The iPad 3 is still a very capable device that runs most popular apps and games smoothly. Sounds more like a case of penis envy. If it bothers you that much then i'd sell it on craigslist and upgrade.

No one who's used the 3 on iOS 7 for any length of time would write this. Come on.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Wengy posted:

No one who's used the 3 on iOS 7 for any length of time would write this. Come on.

7.0.3 sped up the wallpaper delay issue fairly well, and that was my only (infrequent) issue with the 3. No other complaints to speak of.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Wengy posted:

Rogue doesn't have cores in the traditional sense :eng101:. I think there's a bunch of shared logic then "clusters" making up the rest of the power, like the GPU area of the A7 die just looks like a big mass of logic vs multiple identical cores in previous chips. The A7 supposedly has four clusters, so a six cluster one would only be 50% faster to begin with (if they scale like the old cores at least). And for all we know it's a bit clocked higher in the iPads, we'll probably find out what's up when Anandtech gets a hold of them I guess.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

japtor posted:

Rogue doesn't have cores in the traditional sense :eng101:. I think there's a bunch of shared logic then "clusters" making up the rest of the power, like the GPU area of the A7 die just looks like a big mass of logic vs multiple identical cores in previous chips. The A7 supposedly has four clusters, so a six cluster one would only be 50% faster to begin with (if they scale like the old cores at least). And for all we know it's a bit clocked higher in the iPads, we'll probably find out what's up when Anandtech gets a hold of them I guess.

True, I meant those clusters. I guess I was looking forward to a six-cluster-chip in the iPad, but it appears Apple are going back to giving the iPad the same SOCs as the iPhone (like they did in the iPad 1 and the iPad 2). It makes sense to streamline, but I'd gotten used to the iPad having monstrous GPUs.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Wengy posted:

Speaking as an owner of an iPad 3, I think you're exaggerating a bit here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I've not updated my iPad 3 to OS7 as I'm jailbroken on 6.1.2 and and still more than 100% satisfied with it. I really don't see the hate for it. Even with the weaker RAM I have not experienced the tab refreshing you guys keep mentioning.

Maybe by the time the iPad 6 or whatever comes out It'l be time for an upgrade, but neither the 4 that my partner has or the 'air' have sounded/looked good enough to need to upgrade.